November 18, 2018
Score 3 out of 10
HotDocs is used by most of the paralegals in the organization to draft estate planning documents for our clients. It allows users to complete an "interview" and then download draft estate planning documents based on the interview. They then edit the documents in Microsoft Word and then present them to the clients.
- Allows users to complete an interview
- Allows users to download draft documents
- Allows programmers to create the interview and document templates.
- Licensing: the company seems intent on milking this product for as much as they can. I receive monthly sales phone calls, yet support calls are not helpful.
- We use the online "document services" product -- it occasionally has unexplained outages and support is not helpful.
- The product has weird limitations that limit its utility -- the interview engine can only support certain types of data. Several programmers have expressed frustration to us about this.
Read Jason Shindler's full review
It is well suited for a "medium" user -- it is too hard to set up for a typical paralegal and too limited for someone with advanced and complicated needs. If you are the "Goldilocks" user, it is just right. If you are on either end, there could be other programs that might be a better fit.