Score 8.4 out of 10

What is Hotjar?

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Hotjar, and make your voice heard!

Basic

10k pageviews per day/per month

Business

$99

20k pageviews per day/per month

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.hotjar.com/compare-our-plans

Product Demos

Intro to Hotjar... in 60 seconds
01:04

What is Hotjar?

Hotjar Video

Intro to Hotjar

Hotjar Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Hotjar is a conversion rate optimization tool for digital marketers. Features include heatmapping, visual session recording, conversion funnel analytics, form analytics, feedback polls and surveys, and usability testing. The tool is used by digital analysts, UX designers, web developers and product marketers. Hotjar was acquired by Contentsquare September 2021, and is now a Contentsquare brand.

Mixpanel, Crazy Egg, and Lucky Orange are common alternatives for Hotjar.

Reviewers rate Usability and Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.6.

The most common users of Hotjar are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

October 12, 2022

Hotjar Review

Rachel Harrison | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have moved jobs, so that is why I am now using Hotjar. I think that Decibel Insight has more functionality than what Hotjar does, as it allows you to be able to automatically view pages and heatmaps, rather than needing to wait for the data to gather.
Compared to Sprig and Usabilla, Hotjar has robust functionality. Again, as stated earlier, the ability to summarize rage clicks, trigger recordings for a/b experiments, and run intercept surveys on mobile is very useful. Hotjar is also noticeably more intuitive to use than Usabilla, with a cleaner interface and navigation.
The fact that it has a trial period in which you can fully try each feature of the platform. The fact that is very intuitive for us to understand each feedback given by the users and to interpret how they move and what they observe on the pages we need to test.
Alex Richards | TrustRadius Reviewer
For us, Hotjar was really simple to implement and the user interface is really easy to use and get accustomed to. Some of the other products we evaluated didn't have as rich features and were way overpriced which made us choose Hotjar. Also, Hotjar allows you to capture user feedback without any additional code being added. You can also add attributes to Hotjar - things like "trialist", "customer" etc to further refine your data.
Leandro Chaves | TrustRadius Reviewer
Whatever software does, Hotjar does better. Integration and setup are really fast and you can have data to analyze in a few minutes. Also, the support team is very dedicated and there's a lot of documentation and examples you can follow.
Mohamed Saied | TrustRadius Reviewer
Hotjar can easily integrate with plenty of analytics and CRO tools. It fits in my tools stack well. It's super easy to set up and also I also like the highlights features on the user recordings as it saves me a lot of time and makes it smoother to share important insights with my team.
I have not used any other services and only used Hotjar so I cannot say how this service compares to others in their vertical. I have used Survey Monkey and I have found that their survey templates do not match that of Hotjar's. I also think that the reporting/tracking is more straightforward than that of Survey Monkey. I have recommended Hotjar to many other professionals in my network.
Hotjar was significantly cheaper for us, and they’ve been brilliant at honouring their legacy pricing model which is much cheaper up until recently. We find that Hotjar also offers a wider range of tools that we would otherwise need to pay more for elsewhere like surveys. The ability to add unlimited users is also a massive bonus as insights should not be limited to those that collect the data.
Akhil Gupta | TrustRadius Reviewer
Cmparing with other products in the same vertical, we found the UX UI for Hotjar the best. It is easier to integrate with and has lot many more features as compared to its nearest competitors. We fount the product to be robust and accurate with lot of customizable options to create dashboards and stories which tell user story in a impactful way.
I liked the Hotjar User interface a little more and it seemed a little bit easier to set up. For some users with just the basic needs smart look was overly complicated. whereas in Hotjar everything you need is in one simple easy-to-view dashboard. Also, it offered more free tools/visits and sessions.
July 06, 2022

Hotjar review

Jasper van der Zwaan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I test drove Lucky Orange and decided to keep Hotjar as the UI is easier to use. The competitor had no compelling features vs the ones offered by Hotjar. I also found the standard sound effects in Lucky Orange very overbearing and obnoxious.
Hotjar was relatively more known to the team and they had past experience as well with the tool which made the adoption relatively easier. As such we didn’t find a lot of difference between the two tools when it comes fulfilling our use cases so for us specifically both were good tools to consider.
Markus Kapferer | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used different tools but Hotjar combines several functionalities in one tool. So we used and are still using SurveyMonkey for bigger Surveys but it's handy to also have a tool where we can create short single questions surveys. We selected Hotjar because it is a good collection of functionalities that support our CX/CI improvement processes.
Hotjar is the full deal and provides fantastic functionality and options for me to track my users on my website. The other software is good but I personally feel Hotjar is the best for purposes. I know it’s a little pricey, but if you use it right, it will ultimately help you make more money.
Willy Bilaro | TrustRadius Reviewer
Hotjar stacks up on basic feature, ease of use, implementation, and, of course, the cost. Its out-of-the-box solution makes it less painful when implementing bigger solutions like Tealium. While Crazy Egg is pretty much for the smaller scale website, which for that purpose would fit the bill. For a small and medium-size website, Hotjar is a very good tool to start using.
Google Analytics is a much more robust platform than Hotjar, but works great as a complement to Google Analytics - in other words, it was a matter of choosing both, not either/or. While there are workarounds for them on Google Analytics, heatmaps and screen recordings are much more intuitive on Hotjar.
Carlos Ibarra | TrustRadius Reviewer
Hotjar is better at taking screenshots from landing pages which help us better visualize clicks, scroll and mouse movements. With Hotjar, we can better see what users are doing on our landing pages. This way you'll have a much more accurate picture of how people arrive at clicking through and scrolling to get where they need be!
Camilo Honorato | TrustRadius Reviewer
The thing is I never used another tool like Hotjar before
All my website analysis I made with Google Products before (Analytics, Tag Manager, Data Studio, etc..)
But Hotjar really helps a lot to understand what my website means to my potential customers and even more, It allows me to watch their journey through our website