HPE Nimble Storage Reviews

December 24, 2019

Great product

• Fast
  • Set and forget
  • Infosite took a bit to actually pull value out of it. Great overall.
  • Better documentation on what happens when data stores are deleted.
December 17, 2019

The best storage solution available if you have the budget

Pros and Cons

• Failover between controllers which enables high availability.
  • High speed access of data, all of our server applications can run easily using this storage.
  • Having more customisation for reports on storage would be useful in capacity planning- allowing for more granular views on storage usage over a set period of time (i.e. broken down by datastore, or even VM).
Omar Khalid | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 18, 2019

Implementation of an HPE Nimble Hybrid Array for Backup/DR

• Performance.
  • Reporting and monitoring.
  • Customer service.
  • Technical support.
  • HPE purchases have impacted Nimble's sales channels.
  • Not as fast as some of the competitors on the market.
  • RMC, HPE's backup software is only compatible with other HPE arrays and not universal.
Read Omar Khalid's full review
November 12, 2019

HPE Nimble boxes are a great choice for any organization, small or large.

Pros and Cons

• HP Nimble is basically an all in one SAN with SSD cache or in some cases fully SSD based however the thing it does the best is its front end GUI and user management capability making it easy for anyone to ramp up on managing it quickly.
  • The Nimble SAN is also very easily managed when it comes to hardware management. Outside of some major internal parts such as the mainboard, almost everything in the system is duplicated so single failures never bring the system down. Power supplies and drives are easily swapped out.
  • Nimble has incredibly capable and easily accessible support that is available 24/7.
  • The price point on Nimble, though higher than piecing together a home made SAN out of spare Windows Servers, is perfect even for some SMB's.
  • The add on and upgrade parts for the system are a bit overpriced and if you buy your own third party they may try to not honor their warranty.
  • Setting up redundant Nimble boxes is not as well documented as it could be.
  • They are seeming to stop supporting some older devices a bit faster than they used too ALA Microsoft Windows and the way they are not handling version 10 though not as extreme.
Jeff Koelker | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 03, 2018

Nimble Storage - Excellent choice

Pros and Cons

• GUI based interface for ease of management
  • No downtime for firmware/software upgrades
  • Integration with other vendors such as Veeam for backups and disaster recovery
  • I'd like the GUI to include more information for some of the features such as replication data totals each night. You have to go to the command line for this.
  • It would be nice to have a feature built into the GUI that would show you the command line equivalent to get the same results you are seeing in the GUI.
  • Although the intial setup was easy, they could always improve on that portion. During my setup, I did have to do a lot of back and forth with research on their site as to what each setting was that I was setting up. They could have provided some sort of description for each field within the setup that would have made it easier to know what they were having us set up.
Read Jeff Koelker's full review
Lee Holland, CISSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 28, 2018

Nimble, a breath of fresh air!

• Performance. At 30,000+ IOPS our applications run lightning fast
  • Availability. We haven't really run into any major issue. But minor issues automatically create support incidents with Nimble support, and I get call immediately. Very cool!
  • Ease of management. Using pre-set templates and access controls when provisioning volumes makes it very easy to setup new volumes.
  • We haven't really experienced any cons at this time. I'm sure there are, but none that we have observed or been frustrated with.
Read Lee Holland, CISSP's full review
Paul Nicholson | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 28, 2018

HPE Nimble Storage - Great Solution

Pros and Cons

• Easy administration - - no special training needed.
  • Fast I/O for intense applications such as SQL Servers
  • Great snapshot technology, quick and integrates with VMWare and other software such as VMWare easily
  • Compression and deduplications saves lots of space.
  • It does what we need it to do.
Read Paul Nicholson's full review
Josh Rice, MBA, ACSP | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 25, 2018

Nimble brings the flexibility that growing companies need.

Pros and Cons

• Nimble scales well which is a beneficial for an organization that grows quickly.
  • Nimble is quick and responsive as well. Flash storage performs more efficiently than standard spinning disks.
  • The administrative portal is intuitive and easy to use.
  • Even though the admin portal is intuitive, I'd like to seem a better UI experience.
  • Flash storage is more expensive than traditional storage, but we are seeing the prices start to decline.
Read Josh Rice, MBA, ACSP's full review
Jerry Balch | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 25, 2018

Great company, great support and rock solid performance!

Pros and Cons

• Simple to use interface! Anyone can use it to create volumes, snapshots, and clones and anyone can restore or clone a snapshot to recover data if needed.
  • Replication is fast and pretty lean for storage replication. It was also easy to setup.
  • Snapshots are small and easy to schedule and restore from.
  • Updates for us are run in the middle of the day and don't affect production at ALL. That's hard to beat!
  • Can't really think of any. We used to use another vendor along with Nimble and ended up dropping them for exclusive Nimble because of how well they do things.
  • Their support is so on top of things that they can "nag" a little to make sure things are fixed and running as best they can.
Read Jerry Balch's full review
November 21, 2018

Nimble is the no compromises, best of all worlds, storage solution

Pros and Cons

• Nimble provides top notch predictive flash caching that "just works". We typically see 95% + cache hits daily.
  • World class support... You typically don't' call Nimble support when there are problems, they call you.
  • The Nimble hybrid array is a cost effective solution with no compromises.
  • Infosight, the cloud management dashboard, is easy to use and provides quick access to useful information.
  • Our Nimble has had 100% uptime, 4 years and counting.
  • We haven't experienced any cons in 4 years. It's divine.
November 29, 2018

Nimble is the right fit for me and should be for you as well

Pros and Cons

• INFOSIGHT!!! It is, in my opinion, the revolution in IT that I have been waiting for. It opens and closes cases for me automatically and even when I have a problem that Support knows about it tells me how to fix it with a patch or something else.
  • Deduplication and Compression Inline. This has saved me legitimately double the space. So I have 13TB of data and only 5.5TB on the SAN.
  • The simplicity of the Interface is key, I don't have time to go digging through a bunch of configurations to get to what I need.
  • Live Support is incredible. By utilizing Infosight for all the small cases they only hire level 3 techs and they know more than just Nimble. On many occasions they have walked me through VMware issues as well so I didn't have to open a case with VMware also.
  • Speed and Performance is just what we needed. I will not say it's the best as in "top dog", but for what we paid I am getting enterprise class speed and performance and 99.9999% up time.
  • They offer free training classes for potential customers, current customers, and VARS all the time.
  • I think the HPE transition has been a little rough and I think things are getting better, but the interface changes they have made are a little strange sometimes.
September 27, 2018

Good and reliable Storage system, I highly recommend Nimble Storage for all of your SAN storage needs!

Pros and Cons

• Ease of use and price. Its competitively priced and has great expansion options based on the base model.
  • Deduplication Feature gives really good compression of data, Snapshot is really easy and restores as well. World class customer experience.
  • I like how Nimble uses flash storage. The virtual machines I have residing on our Nimble preform disk writes cleanly and quickly.
  • Lack of an active active configuration, if they would change this it would change our us of them.
  • The company at the time was nimble alone and was a little rocky to deal with.
Bear Golightly | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 23, 2017

Looking at Nimble Storage? I hope you like consistently sub-millisecond latency!

Pros and Cons

• The InfoSight Predictive Analytics portal is a phenomenal value-add for the Nimble platform, especially the VMvision component, which gives incredible visibility into the entire virtualization stack.
  • The storage itself (we are using all-flash) is blistering fast; all storage operations, from regular I/O to volume provisioning, complete instantly.
  • Nimble's proactive support is second to none - During deployment, I took down the array to move it from our workbench to the rack, and within minutes Nimble called me to ask if we know our array is down.
  • Nimble's support engineers are top-notch: When you call Nimble, you're talking to a tier-3 engineer. No lengthy phone trees, no call dispatching and waiting for a callback.
  • Nimble recently got purchased by HP Enterprise, and I've NEVER heard anyone excited about their vendor being acquired by HP.
  • The clever little experimental features added to the "Lab" section of InfoSight don't get added to the main product quickly enough!
  • The awesome green "bling" LEDs on the front only come in green - ideally, I'd like them to be blue, or even purple.
Read Bear Golightly's full review
Jeremy Judnic | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 20, 2017

Nimble performance that won't slow down your budget.

Pros and Cons

• Great support, some of the best I've dealt with in my 9 years in IT.
  • De-duplication and compression features. These have allowed us to run test environments of our tier 1 applications at almost no drive cost. Our data center is around 7TB but the utilization on the nimble is about 3.5TB.
  • Ease of use. Web GUI is straightforward and easy to navigate.
  • Faster Web GUI performance. Can be a little sluggish at times, even though it is easy to use it may take some time to load certain forms or items.
  • Large physical footprint. This is a 3U unit that has 8TB usable, would be nice to have a smaller rack footprint.
  • Quick access to see which data is currently on the flash storage. The Nimble unit we use is a hybrid HDD and flash array which moves the data around when it is being utilized the most. I am not aware of a way to see this information on the fly.
Read Jeremy Judnic's full review
Anthony Nguyen | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 22, 2016

Nimble Storage - Highly Recommended

Pros and Cons

• CASL (Cache Accelerated Sequential Layout) - basically the backbone of their OS that allows them to be so efficient in speed.
  • Management Portal - Insight offers storage management and predictive analytics (prescriptive guidance).
  • Support - Excellent support model. All representative were very knowledgeable and could assist or expedite to someone who could.
  • Price - the Nimble Solution is on the high end of the storage market.
  • Hybrid Flash solution - part SSD, part HDD. There is rumor that an all Flash Array is coming soon - Q3?
  • Education - not much in formal training is available for this product. There is a class given by Nimble but is not thorough enough to teach someone to be certified in using Nimble.
Read Anthony Nguyen's full review
Nicolas Tenthorey | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 22, 2016

Nimble Storage - an "A Team" product. Easy to use and deploy across multiple sites.

Pros and Cons

• Snapshot scheduling is very easy to do.
  • Cloning volumes to create new VM's very easy.
  • Adding additional storage very simple. Plug and play.
  • Firmware updates could be improved, possibly automated.
  • Cost is a bit high per GB compared to alternatives.
  • Data restoration process could be improved. Right now we have to clone volume and attach to server. A webpage data explorer would be nice.
Read Nicolas Tenthorey's full review
Larry Askew | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 16, 2014

Nimble SAN revew

Pros and Cons

• The data available from the dashboard/UI is really great.
  • Nimble's tech support, not only for their product directly but also digging well into VMWare and working with VMWare tech support on one particularly difficult problem was impressive. They didn't draw a line and begin to ask that we contact another vendor.
  • The performance is really quite good. While our applications don't push the array at all, I was able to drive impressive IOPS using SQLIO. The numbers were particularly impressive considering ours is 1GB iSCSI.
  • One of our arrays has had no hardware failures at all while the other has had a failed power supply and controller. Both caused alerts to be generated and Nimble contacted us to ship the replacement components, so I suppose that's a weakness and strength in one.
  • While compression is a great thing, it does cause some confusion in terms of capacity when looking at vCenter and the Nimble web based UI. Somewhere between thin provisioning, multiple VMs per partition and compression, I sometimes find it difficult to know exactly where one might be tight on space.
Read Larry Askew's full review
June 16, 2016

Nimble Storage Keeping It Awesome

Pros and Cons

• Storage Compression - Get more space for your money. We are saving about 4TB right out now using 20TB of space.
  • Caching - Built in SSD caching works well. 75% of our data is hitting cache. It would be more, but our application code limits that.
  • Latency - Latency is very low. Reads and Writes are always below 1ms.
  • Usage Reporting - Great web portal to see how much space you are taking up and your expected growth pattern.
  • Easy Setup - Easy to set up new volumes and expand volumes.
  • Infosight (Web interface) has some neat free features. With VMware and maybe Hyper V you can see your performance on your VMs from the interface. You can see IO, latency, times, etc., that is useful for troubleshooting and performance planning.
  • Rack Space - One of the main reasons we went with Nimble Storage was for rack space. We had 12U of space being taken up by HP Storage. With only 4U we could double and triple our storage space and save 8U for other things. This prevented us from adding another rack at our data center. Which isn't cheap. It saved us around $1200 a month.
  • Power Button - The power button is easily accessed on the front chassis. This button should be covered, or concave to push, not sticking out.
  • Web interface (InfoSight) could have more real-time information. Currently it is a few hours to last 24 hours of data.
  • Weekly reports - Would be nice to see weekly reports and trends emailed.
October 06, 2016

Nimble Storage - a great solution for our growth

Pros and Cons

• Really good management interface, can monitor pace and performance easily.
  • Nimble Infosight software helps plan future needs.
  • Nimble heartbeat monitoring helps me know that Nimble support backs me up as to status of a unit. As a one man shop, it's hard to be on top of everything.
  • The web interface can be sluggish at times, but this is pretty typical of most of my internal use interfaces.
  • I would like to drill down on the snapshots but they take volumes. We wouldn't want to restore a volume typically, we would want to restore an individual server, but the Nimble setup was not done by me and setup could have been better.
  • During setup, our Nimble install was checked by the local rep and he tore down the setup and caused a lot of extra work on the team; his skill level was very basic compared to my contracted install help

Flash Array Performance (5)
9.4
Flash Array Integration (5)
Data Compression (5)
Non-Intrusive Upgrades (6)
9.5
Simplicity (6)
9.5
Power Savings (5)

About HPE Nimble Storage

Nimble Storage was acquired by HPE in 2017. The enterprise flash array product line now goes by the name HPE Nimble Storage.

HPE Nimble Storage Technical Details