HPE SimpliVity is our core sever platform for our business across two datacenters.
Both of those datacenters are production and DR for the alternate site.
Data protection is the biggest problem this solution addressed.
Also, we were in need of a refresh and this solution offered much more all with a single vendor, easy to use interface and a competitive price.
- If you know how to use VMware then you essentially already know how to manage HPE SimpliVity. Ease of use is key for us since we are a small shop.
- The data protection inherent is impressive. We have complete server backups for our Tier 1 servers locally and replicated every 15 minutes.
- We have application upgrades frequently that require end use testing. We also have a in house developer for certain focuses. Test instances or refreshes are just minutes away. The actual complete server instance restore takes just a few seconds.
- I haven't contacted support lately...however in the past I wasn't able to remediate VMware without support given the integration. A trade off.
- 4 years being a customer, the initial sizing is now close to being an issue. I wish I could just add more memory without licensing costs. Another trade off but I've been more than pleased with our servers' performance.
- Again...I haven't asked lately so this may be handled differently now. I'll investigate soon or upgrade altogether given the age of equipment.
- I can't think of anything else...
I only know what I know...which is my IT world.
Having two datacenters that were physical servers attached to a SAN that "attempted" to replicate and then migrating.
For a SMB small IT shop that happens to have two datacenters already in place...this has been ideal.
I can have a generalist maintain the system and we have a private cloud for DR with hardly any effort...the biggest gain by far!
- HPE SimpliVity has built in incremental backups, and the restores are incredibly fast. I have seen 2TB VMs restored in 20 seconds.
- HPE SimpliVity has also made DR/BC a possibility. We have purchased and off-site DR box at a fraction of what tradition DR would cost.
- As mentioned, HPE SimpliVity has built in backups. The one issue is that those backups are stored on primary storage, so depending on retention schedules, you may find yourself running out of space.
- Speed, speed speed. Everything happens quickly and you see the results in front of you.
- Time savings. I no longer need to watch VCenter all the time, I can move on to other projects
- I would like to be able to move my data out of SimpliVity easier, onto another media for backup/storage. That is the only thing I can think of.
Currently we have 4 Simplivity OmniCubes in our environment. Two of them are hosing our Virtual Servers and the other two are hosting our VDI environment. We are using this solution to host all of our servers and VDI for the whole organization.
With the Simplivity OmniCubes we have greatly increased our backups as well as made a huge performance gain in our computing. Since everything is in one box we have been able to scale out our environment and made an easier path for upgrading and budgeting as we can add an additional two boxes each year to grow out our environment.
- Deduplication and Compression - SimpliVity keeps the space consumption to a minimum. We currently have 60 servers running virtually and we still have room to grow. This really helps with the backups as we can have longer retention.
- Backups - Ability to keep backups for longer and to create multiple backup policies for a VM is a breeze. You can have a backup policy for each datastore as well as a separate backup policy for the same VM.
- Creating Datastores is very easy. No more messing around with LUNS and iSCSI. Just go to the SimpliVity tab and select create datastore and it's done. You can also increase the datastore on the fly as well as have a datastore bigger than 2TB.
- File level recovery is included as well. The whole backup process in SimpliVity can help you do away with other software.
- A better dashboard to explain where the efficiencies are coming from.
- More types of boxes. Possibly a smaller server just for DR purposes.
- Bigger File level recovery. Currently you can only restore 4GB files at a time.
SimpliVity Omnicube is well suited in any environment. Especially if you are not currently using any VMware or Hyper-V products. It is a great gateway into the virtualization of your data center. For environments where VMware is currently being used, SimpliVity will be a great addition. Less cabling is required. Better performance is guaranteed.
Two boxes are required as they work as a high availability pair. As the years go by you can simply just add a box or two to grow your environment. You can also get them configured with NVidia Grid cards to bring graphical performance to the VDI environment.
HPE SimpliVity Scorecard Summary
About HPE SimpliVity
HPE SimpliVity Technical Details