HPE SimpliVity is a hyper-converged infrastructure solution. HPE acquired SimpliVity for its Omnicube line of products in January 2017.HPE SimpliVity delivers a SMB Enterprise level capabilities at an affordable price point.HPE SimpliVity is our core sever platform for our business across two datacenters.Both of those datacenters are production and DR for the alternate site.Data protection is the biggest problem this solution addressed.Also, we were in need of a refresh and this solution offered much more all with a single vendor, easy to use interface and a competitive price.,If you know how to use VMware then you essentially already know how to manage HPE SimpliVity. Ease of use is key for us since we are a small shop. The data protection inherent is impressive. We have complete server backups for our Tier 1 servers locally and replicated every 15 minutes. We have application upgrades frequently that require end use testing. We also have a in house developer for certain focuses. Test instances or refreshes are just minutes away. The actual complete server instance restore takes just a few seconds.,I haven't contacted support lately...however in the past I wasn't able to remediate VMware without support given the integration. A trade off. 4 years being a customer, the initial sizing is now close to being an issue. I wish I could just add more memory without licensing costs. Another trade off but I've been more than pleased with our servers' performance. Again...I haven't asked lately so this may be handled differently now. I'll investigate soon or upgrade altogether given the age of equipment. I can't think of anything else...,10,ROI has been recognized in several areas...TCO is certainly one of the main points. Data protection has allowed us to realize minimal downtime and recovery in a disaster situation. That's priceless... Being able to easily spin up test environments and having our support people able to do so are both huge for us.,Nutanix,Microsoft SQL Server, Visual Studio IDE, SAP CrystalImpressive restoresI am in the College of Life Sciences at BYU. HPE SimpliVity is running all of our production servers, including webservers, databases, file servers, web servers, web proxy, monitoring and log servers, etc.,HPE SimpliVity has built in incremental backups, and the restores are incredibly fast. I have seen 2TB VMs restored in 20 seconds. HPE SimpliVity has also made DR/BC a possibility. We have purchased and off-site DR box at a fraction of what tradition DR would cost.,As mentioned, HPE SimpliVity has built in backups. The one issue is that those backups are stored on primary storage, so depending on retention schedules, you may find yourself running out of space.,7,HPE SimpliVity provided us with the ability to replace our existing infrastructure with a solution that provided better backup and recovery, and an off-site DR solution, at a lower price point than other solutions.,Nutanix,VMware ESXi, Exablox, Veeam Backup & ReplicationHPE Simplivity works well for us.We mainly use it for remote access (VMware horizon view,) but it does house a few other servers.,De-dupe Compression Backup Speed,Expensive Not scalable from a storage standpoint after implementation. Well, not easily. Nothing else I can think of,10,Better remote access Happier employees Less time supporting users because of reliability Small footprint,,NetDocuments, Microsoft Application VirtualizationAfter you compare the others, go ahead and buy SimpliVity!We use SimpliVity throughout the organization. SimpliVity has addressed many problems with speed, bandwidth and ease of use for us. Before SimpliVity we had real issues with getting backups done after hours, now it is done org.-wide within minutes.,Speed, speed speed. Everything happens quickly and you see the results in front of you. Time savings. I no longer need to watch VCenter all the time, I can move on to other projects,I would like to be able to move my data out of SimpliVity easier, onto another media for backup/storage. That is the only thing I can think of.,10,We have saved time on many levels. We are saving money by no longer needing multiple products We save power consumption,SimpliVity - Simplicity in the server room!Currently we have 4 Simplivity OmniCubes in our environment. Two of them are hosing our Virtual Servers and the other two are hosting our VDI environment. We are using this solution to host all of our servers and VDI for the whole organization. With the Simplivity OmniCubes we have greatly increased our backups as well as made a huge performance gain in our computing. Since everything is in one box we have been able to scale out our environment and made an easier path for upgrading and budgeting as we can add an additional two boxes each year to grow out our environment.,Deduplication and Compression - SimpliVity keeps the space consumption to a minimum. We currently have 60 servers running virtually and we still have room to grow. This really helps with the backups as we can have longer retention. Backups - Ability to keep backups for longer and to create multiple backup policies for a VM is a breeze. You can have a backup policy for each datastore as well as a separate backup policy for the same VM. Creating Datastores is very easy. No more messing around with LUNS and iSCSI. Just go to the SimpliVity tab and select create datastore and it's done. You can also increase the datastore on the fly as well as have a datastore bigger than 2TB. File level recovery is included as well. The whole backup process in SimpliVity can help you do away with other software.,A better dashboard to explain where the efficiencies are coming from. More types of boxes. Possibly a smaller server just for DR purposes. Bigger File level recovery. Currently you can only restore 4GB files at a time.,10,Great Return on Investment. No longer need to budget for a SAN, a switch, and a new ESX hosts. Just budget for one box. Less server rack space required. Less AC requirements as there are less servers in play.,Nutanix,McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator, VMware Horizon View, VMware ESXi, VMware vCenter Server, AirWatch, SolarWinds IPAM, SolarWinds IPAM
HPE SimpliVity (formerly OmniCube)

HPE SimpliVity Reviews

HPE SimpliVity
Filter 9 vetted HPE SimpliVity reviews and ratings
Chad Benfield profile photo
September 10, 2018

Review: "HPE SimpliVity delivers a SMB Enterprise level capabilities at an affordable price point."

Both of those datacenters are production and DR for the alternate site.

Data protection is the biggest problem this solution addressed.

• If you know how to use VMware then you essentially already know how to manage HPE SimpliVity. Ease of use is key for us since we are a small shop.
  • The data protection inherent is impressive. We have complete server backups for our Tier 1 servers locally and replicated every 15 minutes.
  • We have application upgrades frequently that require end use testing. We also have a in house developer for certain focuses. Test instances or refreshes are just minutes away. The actual complete server instance restore takes just a few seconds.
  • I haven't contacted support lately...however in the past I wasn't able to remediate VMware without support given the integration. A trade off.
  • 4 years being a customer, the initial sizing is now close to being an issue. I wish I could just add more memory without licensing costs. Another trade off but I've been more than pleased with our servers' performance.
  • Again...I haven't asked lately so this may be handled differently now. I'll investigate soon or upgrade altogether given the age of equipment.
  • I can't think of anything else...

I only know what I know...which is my IT world.

Having two datacenters that were physical servers attached to a SAN that "attempted" to replicate and then migrating.

For a SMB small IT shop that happens to have two datacenters already in place...this has been ideal.

I can have a generalist maintain the system and we have a private cloud for DR with hardly any effort...the biggest gain by far!

Read Chad Benfield's full review
Brent Runyan profile photo
September 10, 2018

HPE SimpliVity Review: "Impressive restores"

• HPE SimpliVity has built in incremental backups, and the restores are incredibly fast. I have seen 2TB VMs restored in 20 seconds.
  • HPE SimpliVity has also made DR/BC a possibility. We have purchased and off-site DR box at a fraction of what tradition DR would cost.
  • As mentioned, HPE SimpliVity has built in backups. The one issue is that those backups are stored on primary storage, so depending on retention schedules, you may find yourself running out of space.
Smaller organizations with a need for a solution that includes backup.
Read Brent Runyan's full review
David Clark profile photo
September 06, 2018

User Review: "HPE Simplivity works well for us."

• De-dupe
  • Compression
  • Backup
  • Speed
  • Expensive
  • Not scalable from a storage standpoint after implementation. Well, not easily.
  • Nothing else I can think of
Unstructured data, exchange and remote access.
Read David Clark's full review
Jim Malone profile photo
September 06, 2018

HPE SimpliVity Review: "After you compare the others, go ahead and buy SimpliVity!"

• Speed, speed speed. Everything happens quickly and you see the results in front of you.
  • Time savings. I no longer need to watch VCenter all the time, I can move on to other projects
  • I would like to be able to move my data out of SimpliVity easier, onto another media for backup/storage. That is the only thing I can think of.
I have tested several of the competition, nothing matches up.
Read Jim Malone's full review
December 01, 2016

HPE SimpliVity Review: "SimpliVity - Simplicity in the server room!"

• Deduplication and Compression - SimpliVity keeps the space consumption to a minimum. We currently have 60 servers running virtually and we still have room to grow. This really helps with the backups as we can have longer retention.
  • Backups - Ability to keep backups for longer and to create multiple backup policies for a VM is a breeze. You can have a backup policy for each datastore as well as a separate backup policy for the same VM.
  • Creating Datastores is very easy. No more messing around with LUNS and iSCSI. Just go to the SimpliVity tab and select create datastore and it's done. You can also increase the datastore on the fly as well as have a datastore bigger than 2TB.
  • File level recovery is included as well. The whole backup process in SimpliVity can help you do away with other software.
  • A better dashboard to explain where the efficiencies are coming from.
  • More types of boxes. Possibly a smaller server just for DR purposes.
  • Bigger File level recovery. Currently you can only restore 4GB files at a time.

SimpliVity Omnicube is well suited in any environment. Especially if you are not currently using any VMware or Hyper-V products. It is a great gateway into the virtualization of your data center. For environments where VMware is currently being used, SimpliVity will be a great addition. Less cabling is required. Better performance is guaranteed.

Two boxes are required as they work as a high availability pair. As the years go by you can simply just add a box or two to grow your environment. You can also get them configured with NVidia Grid cards to bring graphical performance to the VDI environment.

HPE SimpliVity Scorecard Summary