HPE SimpliVity Reviews

Joshua Van Camp | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 18, 2020

SimpliVity. It Simply Works!

HPE SimpliVity reduces complexity in our virtualization stack. The software combines along with HPE hardware and an accelerator card (there are also flavors without the accelerator) to provide an NFS datastore for our VMs. Because of the rationalization that the software and accelerator is doing, the number of writes is reduced as it examines to see if the underlying data already exists somewhere else. This also makes it very easy to clone or backup VMs as only change data needs to be restored or cloned. This functionality can be controlled via the VMware console.
  • Backup/Clone VMs.
  • Reduce stack complexity.
  • Upgrades are better than they used to be, but still complex.
  • Make existing RapidDR product integral, versus a separate licensed component.
HPE SimpliVity should work in just about every environment when sized properly, but there may be some very high performance large org database scenarios where it might be somewhat slower; but our most recent upgrade to HPE SimpliVity on DL380s was very well received by our developers. Our performance was significantly better. The features of HPE SimpliVity are especially appealing in SMB Enterprises where the administration staff is especially time/resource constrained. The features give a lot of flexibility for testing and DR with an hours worth of training. It just works.
Read Joshua Van Camp's full review
May 01, 2019

SimpliVity simplifies our IT staff's jobs

We use it as our main VMware host solution instead of the traditional converged data center model. We used it to simplify our structure and setup of our data center. We used to have a really expensive and complex NetApp storage disk and aging HPE blade center for computing solution. Rather than have to manage all of that old, aging, and expensive individual solutions, SimpliVity allowed us to focus on providing the best virtual server solution for our company.
  • Simple virtual server solution.
  • Easy to deploy new nodes.
  • Easy to configure new nodes.
  • The support still leaves room for improvement.
  • Snapshot backup restores are still hit and miss. Seems like they randomly don't work for restores.
  • Simplifies the update process for OmniStack software so that it can be done by end users rather than by HPE or by a partner.
It is well suited for smaller departments where there are not dedicated infrastructure engineers. It really makes sense in any small, medium, or even large business that doesn't have specialized infrastructure engineers or virtualization specialists. By implementing SimpliVity we were able to free up IT staff to focus more on keeping VMs up to date and providing quality customer support.
Chad Benfield | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 10, 2018

HPE SimpliVity delivers a SMB Enterprise level capabilities at an affordable price point.

HPE SimpliVity is our core sever platform for our business across two datacenters.

Both of those datacenters are production and DR for the alternate site.

Data protection is the biggest problem this solution addressed.

Also, we were in need of a refresh and this solution offered much more all with a single vendor, easy to use interface and a competitive price.

• If you know how to use VMware then you essentially already know how to manage HPE SimpliVity. Ease of use is key for us since we are a small shop.
  • The data protection inherent is impressive. We have complete server backups for our Tier 1 servers locally and replicated every 15 minutes.
  • We have application upgrades frequently that require end use testing. We also have a in house developer for certain focuses. Test instances or refreshes are just minutes away. The actual complete server instance restore takes just a few seconds.
  • I haven't contacted support lately...however in the past I wasn't able to remediate VMware without support given the integration. A trade off.
  • 4 years being a customer, the initial sizing is now close to being an issue. I wish I could just add more memory without licensing costs. Another trade off but I've been more than pleased with our servers' performance.
  • Again...I haven't asked lately so this may be handled differently now. I'll investigate soon or upgrade altogether given the age of equipment.
  • I can't think of anything else...

I only know what I know...which is my IT world.

Having two datacenters that were physical servers attached to a SAN that "attempted" to replicate and then migrating.

For a SMB small IT shop that happens to have two datacenters already in place...this has been ideal.

I can have a generalist maintain the system and we have a private cloud for DR with hardly any effort...the biggest gain by far!

Read Chad Benfield's full review
Brent Runyan | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 10, 2018

Impressive restores

I am in the College of Life Sciences at BYU. HPE SimpliVity is running all of our production servers, including webservers, databases, file servers, web servers, web proxy, monitoring and log servers, etc.
  • HPE SimpliVity has built in incremental backups, and the restores are incredibly fast. I have seen 2TB VMs restored in 20 seconds.
  • HPE SimpliVity has also made DR/BC a possibility. We have purchased and off-site DR box at a fraction of what tradition DR would cost.
  • As mentioned, HPE SimpliVity has built in backups. The one issue is that those backups are stored on primary storage, so depending on retention schedules, you may find yourself running out of space.
Smaller organizations with a need for a solution that includes backup.
Read Brent Runyan's full review
David Clark | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 06, 2018

HPE Simplivity works well for us.

We mainly use it for remote access (VMware horizon view,) but it does house a few other servers.
  • De-dupe
  • Compression
  • Backup
  • Speed
  • Expensive
  • Not scalable from a storage standpoint after implementation. Well, not easily.
  • Nothing else I can think of
Unstructured data, exchange and remote access.
Read David Clark's full review
Jim Malone | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 06, 2018

After you compare the others, go ahead and buy SimpliVity!

We use SimpliVity throughout the organization. SimpliVity has addressed many problems with speed, bandwidth and ease of use for us. Before SimpliVity we had real issues with getting backups done after hours, now it is done org.-wide within minutes.
  • Speed, speed speed. Everything happens quickly and you see the results in front of you.
  • Time savings. I no longer need to watch VCenter all the time, I can move on to other projects
  • I would like to be able to move my data out of SimpliVity easier, onto another media for backup/storage. That is the only thing I can think of.
I have tested several of the competition, nothing matches up.
Read Jim Malone's full review
December 01, 2016

SimpliVity - Simplicity in the server room!

Currently we have 4 Simplivity OmniCubes in our environment. Two of them are hosing our Virtual Servers and the other two are hosting our VDI environment. We are using this solution to host all of our servers and VDI for the whole organization.

With the Simplivity OmniCubes we have greatly increased our backups as well as made a huge performance gain in our computing. Since everything is in one box we have been able to scale out our environment and made an easier path for upgrading and budgeting as we can add an additional two boxes each year to grow out our environment.

• Deduplication and Compression - SimpliVity keeps the space consumption to a minimum. We currently have 60 servers running virtually and we still have room to grow. This really helps with the backups as we can have longer retention.
  • Backups - Ability to keep backups for longer and to create multiple backup policies for a VM is a breeze. You can have a backup policy for each datastore as well as a separate backup policy for the same VM.
  • Creating Datastores is very easy. No more messing around with LUNS and iSCSI. Just go to the SimpliVity tab and select create datastore and it's done. You can also increase the datastore on the fly as well as have a datastore bigger than 2TB.
  • File level recovery is included as well. The whole backup process in SimpliVity can help you do away with other software.
  • A better dashboard to explain where the efficiencies are coming from.
  • More types of boxes. Possibly a smaller server just for DR purposes.
  • Bigger File level recovery. Currently you can only restore 4GB files at a time.

SimpliVity Omnicube is well suited in any environment. Especially if you are not currently using any VMware or Hyper-V products. It is a great gateway into the virtualization of your data center. For environments where VMware is currently being used, SimpliVity will be a great addition. Less cabling is required. Better performance is guaranteed.

Two boxes are required as they work as a high availability pair. As the years go by you can simply just add a box or two to grow your environment. You can also get them configured with NVidia Grid cards to bring graphical performance to the VDI environment.

About HPE SimpliVity

HPE SimpliVity is a hyper-converged infrastructure solution. HPE acquired SimpliVity for its Omnicube line of products in January 2017.

HPE SimpliVity Technical Details