IBM Cloud Foundry

IBM Cloud Foundry Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

We looked at using IBM Cloud Kubernetes when designing our strategy to take our applications to the cloud. While it is good, it has a steep learning curve and requires a lot of changes to our existing code base and architecture. IBM Cloud Foundry offers roughly the similar features we need and has the added benefit of being simple and less intrusive.
Alabi Temitope | TrustRadius Reviewer
Why I prefer IBM Cloud Foundry platform over AWS Elastic Beanstalk or Heroku Platform is the automation of development process and pushing of projects to cloud with clear step by step instructions - which is available on the documentation. I can say categorically, the terminal mode of interaction with IBM Cloud Foundry, which I can use to customise settings for my project - which is not limited to setting of custom route - selecting region which the application will be serve from. Availability of enough terminal commands, well written documentation with affordable price packages.
February 18, 2021

Recommended over AWS

When I started with prototyping five months ago, I tried IBM Cloud Foundry and AWS, but finally I preferred IBM Cloud Foundry.

I selected IBM Cloud Foundry because IBM service CLI is quite simple to use in devops. It works with the recent versions of Python and it's not changing my Mac OS environment (and it doesn't try to install old versions of Python on my laptop as AWS CF CLI does). In addition, many IBM services provide free trials, so I don't need to pay for it during the system selection and prototyping stages.
December 03, 2019

Easy move to the cloud

victor pease solano | TrustRadius Reviewer
IBM Cloud Foundry (CF) is simpler and there is a service model that fits most of our internal services. We are going to Loopback for API and Node.js and we have an easy path to go with Bluemix. It's a very easy way to start if you are moving to the cloud and mainly if you are going to Node.js.

You can use CF to keep your old Frontends with PHP, Asp or Ruby while moving your APIs to other services inside Bluemix. API Connect is particularly good and of course, you can run them locally during development. Also, it's particularly good for us because we are kind of leaving relational database for front ends, keeping our biggest relational databases still inside. For this, CF is more than ok because there are several NOSQL with good implementations inside Bluemix like Cloudant and Redis.
November 20, 2019

IBM CF way to go!

Cloud Foundry has lot of benefits because platform as a service provided for the developers to implement applications based on the use cases. Different use cases required different buildpacks to run on. It has flexibility to code, push, and run flexibility. Provided ease of use and manage the applications at runtime.
February 14, 2019

ia for AI

Rajneesh Sehgal | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is a cloud-based solution and for all my customers that want to migrate to cloud, this is the solution that we are proposing to customers, as it provides a lot of benefits over private cloud. Scalability and resiliency are not a major challenge and it can be used with other platforms.
River Hain | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have use EC2 and Microsoft's Azure. To me, both Azure and Bluemix were fantastic, but they each had some pros and cons. Azure had more services to offer, but their biggest flaw was in their inability to integrate and work with external platforms, APIs, Programs, etc.. Like Azure, Bluemix services work really well together, but unlike Azure they also integrated well with the other programs we were using for our work.
John Olsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have used Red Hat which does not do business in Australia with people like us. They were a promising service (PaaS) while we were able to use the free version but as soon as we needed access to serious mobile-first services we had to pay and their policy meant we had to leave. Don't know why they don't want to do this sort of low-end business in Australia.

We briefly looked at Heroku and others but quickly realised that since we demand enterprise strength security, strength insight, and reliability, we had to choose IBM Bluemix.
Wojciech Kaminski | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • docker, amazon, azure, Heroku and dcos
I like when the provider offers cloud deployment via standard orchestration mechanisms (like Docker, Kubernetes, DCOS) This is currently well covered by Azure. Amazon also has good flexibility (supports Kubernetes, DCOS). It's good that Bluemix added support for Docker and Kubernetes, but addition of DCOS would be great to complete the offering.
Brett Bloethner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We chose to go with more bare metal options since Bluemix didn't really offer these at the time. It was simpler to get up and running with the bare metal service, and we felt that any problems we ran into would be a result of our own incompetence rather than problems with the platform. In fact, we never ran into a single issue we needed to contact support for with DigitalOcean or SoftLayer.
Jason Brower | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and Heroku
While IBM works well is when being used by large organizations, these other vendors work well with smaller organizations. We ended up being willing to pay more for Heroku, as they have such an easy-to-use service, and our deployments worked as expected every time.
Craig Nash | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
IBM was making very slow moves, and almost appeared to be shrinking compared to the explosion of AWS, until the new visual overhaul made the service very, very easy to use, and honestly, is my current go-to service for cloud services. Lets be honest here also, one of the BIG reasons for using the cloud is to have an environment capable of rapidly and dynamically adjusting to handle any user influx, so why should I put time and energy, let alone base my entire cloud solution on configuring and deploying something to exact specifications, which I will then want to have change dynamically? I would personally rather focus just on what I need to make "my" software work. IBM does have downsides, such as a possibility of vendor lock-in, and needing to learn new technologies, but once invested, those are the areas that will pay off, and now that BlueMix is easy to use, I think it is going to put a lot of fear into AWS and Microsoft Azure.
CF is what we initially went with to establish a development pipeline and start our cloud journey, now we are expanding this and although we are now pulling in many other tools and functions around CF, it is not being replaced. It stands out as having a key place working ‘with’ git, Kubernetes, IBM cloud etc, not against or segregated from it.
We have had to move our deployments to Kubernetes because we needed more reliability. We moved to Google because IBM rates and billing was so backward and expensive. Our client was also very angry at all the outages, lost revenue, production down time and inordinately expensive costs that all the outages cost them.
  • Azure IoT Suite and AWS IoT
In comparison with AWS and Azure, I selected Bluemix as a result of two primary factors. The first is that IBM had better training materials, which allowed me to get up to speed more quickly than the other two. The second win for Bluemix was pricing. For my applications, I estimate the Bluemix solution was < half of what I would have paid for the other two platforms.

IBM Cloud Foundry Scorecard Summary

Platform-as-a-Service (11)
Ease of building user interfaces (9)
Scalability (21)
Platform management overhead (12)
Workflow engine capability (17)
Platform access control (1)
10.0
Services-enabled integration (20)
Development environment creation (19)
Development environment replication (6)
Issue monitoring and notification (8)
5.0
Issue recovery (17)
Upgrades and platform fixes (19)

What is IBM Cloud Foundry?

IBM Cloud Foundry is an IBM version of the open-source platform designed to make it easier and faster to build, test, deploy, and scale applications. Enterprises can now run Cloud Foundry in a public isolated environment, while natively integrating with other IBM Cloud services, such as AI, Blockchain, IoT, and data tools.

Cloud Foundry Enterprise Environment (CFEE) runs on a Kubernetes service, which reduces complexity by giving development teams a comprehensive set of familiar tools under one management umbrella. CFEE allows IT organizations to safeguard their existing investment in Cloud Foundry, while seamlessly bringing in new skill sets that will lead to building apps that provide contemporary customer experiences.

Visit IBM Cloud Foundry's Docs pages for pricing and support information.

IBM Cloud Foundry Features

SaaS Editions Pricing
Pricing DetailsTerms
Community Runtimes$0.07Per GBH

IBM Cloud Foundry Technical Details

Supported Countrieshttps://console.bluemix.net/docs/containers/cs_regions.html#regions-and-zones
Supported LanguagesEnglishEnglish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese/Brazil, Spanish, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional