IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Reviews

March 15, 2021
Steven Gockley, MBA, MCSA | TrustRadius Reviewer
We rely on IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server to monitor all of our production SQL server environment. This includes our standalone instances as well as our always-on-availability groups. IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server has allowed us to automate all of our monitoring as well as giving us a bonus of the predictive functionality to find issues before they cause problems.
  • Ease of setup--agentless
  • Flexible in terms of configuring alerts and thresholds
  • Cost effective
  • Windows client has some issues. When you have small time intervals for your data collection, it can cause the client to become unresponsive and require you to restart it.
  • It takes more time to get the web client running than it does to get the windows client running.
  • The visualizations have been the same for the last eight years--could use a little bit of a refresh.
IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server is well suited for monitoring your SQL server instances, either standalone, clustered or always-on-availability groups. I believe the best scenario is on production servers. For development instances, perhaps it is not as cost effective. There may be more cost-effective solutions in those types of scenarios.
Read Steven Gockley, MBA, MCSA's full review
April 27, 2018
Greg Goss | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am the sole DBA of a company that has facilities in the US and in Europe. In order to effectively keep up with the health of our SQL servers (I manage about 20), I needed a tool that would let me quickly assess which servers needed my attention and which ones were behaving as expected. SQLdm provides me the information that I need to address any complaints about speed and connectivity from an interface that's easy to move around in.
  • SQLdm does a good job of providing information at a high level, but also allows me to drill down to specific queries and events if needed. I don't always need to sift through tons of details to get the information I need. It also gives a very wide range of information from SQL specific metrics, to OS metrics, to VM metrics, all the way up to host server metrics.
  • I like how the alert and notification system can be customized. For example, if you know a certain server regularly has long-running queries, you can adjust the alert to not fire unless a query has been running for 30 minutes while the rest of the servers fire after 30 seconds. That is very helpful in not being bombarded at dinner with alerts from a server similar to, "I've been at 90% cpu for 26 milliseconds!!!!!!!...and now it's back down to 30%" Good information to know, but not something you need to literally lose sleep over.
  • I like how you can configure different servers to be monitored differently. For example, you can have a group of servers called DEVELOPMENT that you can turn on heavier monitoring on so you can test how changes in applications might affect the SQL environment, but in the PRODUCTION group, you may only want to enable the heavier analysis and logging when performance issues are actively being reported.
  • While there is reporting present in the app, I don't find it to be very configurable. I eventually pointed our reporting software at the SQLdm database so I could craft my own reporting. The reporting that's there is sufficient for a lot of things, but for more detailed analysis and trending, it's a little light
  • The config right out of the box feels a little heavy to me. It leans towards the side of over monitoring and over notifying. For example, I view "critical" alerts as those that I'd want to be woken up at 3am for. After a fresh install, I felt like I was getting so many "critical" alerts that I was starting to ignore them. I had to spend a good bit of time tweaking.
  • Sometimes the interface seems laggy. Switching between individual servers and switching screens can take what feels like a long time. I'm not sure if it's the way I have the client configured or something up with my machine, but this app in particular feels slower than it should.
If you have several SQL servers and don't have a lot of time or resources to constantly monitor them, SQLdm will be very helpful. For one or two servers, it might be overkill. All of our servers are virtual, so having a tool that can monitor host metrics as well as guest metrics is a plus as well.
Read Greg Goss's full review

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Scorecard Summary

Performance dashboard (2)
Intelligent alerting (2)
Top SQL (2)
Historical trend data (2)
Virtualization support (2)

What is IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server?

SQL Diagnostic Manager for Microsoft SQL Server helps database administrators to find and fix Microsoft SQL Server performance problems in physical, virtual, and cloud environments. Unlike its competition, it provides effective scalability, advanced SQL query analysis and optimization, prescriptive analysis with corrective SQL scripts, powerful automated alert responses, broad PowerShell integration, complete customization, and extensive support for current and legacy Microsoft SQL Server and Windows.

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Features

SQL Performance Monitoring Features

Has featurePerformance dashboard
Has featureIntelligent alerting
Has featureTop SQL
Has featureHistorical trend data
Has featureVirtualization support

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Screenshots

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Videos (3)

IDERA SQL Diagnostic Manager for SQL Server Downloadables