The Best Online Backup Service

November 03, 2021

iDrive is a scam company - Keep away!

March 18, 2020

File search (7)

9.6

File organization (7)

9.2

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of IDrive, and make your voice heard!

Personal

per year 1 user

IDrive 360 EndPoint

per year 5 computers

IDrive Team

per year

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.idrive.com

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $79.50 per year One user, unlimited computers 5TB storage

File Sharing & Management

Cloud Storage Security & Administration

9.5

Cloud Storage Platform

What is IDrive?

IDrive is a versatile solution that allows users to back up an unlimited number of devices into one account, including PCs, Macs, mobile devices, and servers. IDrive offers backup plans for consumers, small businesses, and enterprises of any size, giving users peace of mind that their data is protected and recoverable at all times.

IDrive offers many different plans for cloud or on-site backup including:

-IDrive Personal

Deployment TypesOn-premise, SaaS
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android
Supported CountriesGlobal

How much does IDrive cost?

IDrive starts at $79.5.

What is IDrive's best feature?

Reviewers rate Versioning and Performance and Reliability highest, with a score of 9.7.

Who uses IDrive?

The most common users of IDrive are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

My institution is responsible for academic management roles that consist of three different sections, are administrative, academic, and logistic divisions and it is maintaining 5000 students, and employees as long as teachers of these three different sections need to have Online Backup to Cloud for their PC's, Android phones to maintain their daily teaching, administrative and logistic activities for supporting the teaching-learning environment of the institution. And IDrive helps my institution out by fulfilling its teachers' and employees' needs without any hassle of IDrive's one account integration feature. It is being used across the whole institution and I can say it is primarily addressing the following problems:
  • Cloud storage for my institution's administrative, academic, and logistic sections respectively
  • Online backup for daily activity files of institution and teachers activity
  • Activities are done remotely.
  • Firstly, Security is the big issue for cloud storage because it gives a specific option that is known as a private key which is used for encryption and it is not difficult for anyone with a zero-knowledge cloud backup service
  • Secondly, the facility of investing a tiny amount to get huge features than other cloud storage
  • Thirdly, I will consider its Photo Backup facility that is managed by a photo manager app for any mobile device because it lets me store unlimited pictures from my mobile device without having any resolution disturbance
  • Finally, I can say it is highly reliable for its for a personal as well as a business customer
  • It is becomes painfully slow for its unlimited backup when most of the users who use it for long time even for a month. This should be improved.
  • There are not many options on the IDrive to select the "AUX" menu, I'm experiencing this problem with my newly bought second hand BMW 3 series E90 32i, 2010 model. There is not external devices alternative for me.
  • Restoring an older version of a file is the hardest stuffs for me
IDrive is well suited for the following reasons:
  • It is easy to set up Unlimited Devices/Account Via mail
  • It is possible to upload a bulk amount of data
  • Upload speed is Superfast

The app is Excellent for any mobile device, but if we consider its scenarios where it is less appropriate, I think it will be like as follows:
  • Not unlimited storage
  • It has only basic sharing options
I implemented IDrive as part of a multi-pronged backup and recovery strategy. We had been using JungleDisk successfully for years but they changed corporate directions and were forcing us into a full security suite at quadruple the cost. Acronis TrueImage has cloud backup that is abysmal and non-functional. So I reviewed cloud backup software, chose IDrive, and sorted through the multiple backup options. It is set up to do critical files, system state, and server. Any/all of these can also be local as well. It does not do full system backup of bitlocked disks, however.
  • Cloud backup is fast
  • Server backup is functional
  • System state backup is a nice feature
  • Need to be able to do a full backup of encrypted disks
  • Express disk needs better instructions before ordering annual free disk
Functions very well for my modest needs. For those with virtual, email, and server needs, it has functionality for those as well. Cloud backup is very fast even with my limited bandwidth. If you need image/full backup of a bitlocked drive, it does not have that--on purpose; I asked.
We used iDrive to backup up our company servers. The company hits you up for overage charges without first notifying you or providing any warning.

We have a 4tb server and signed up for a 5tb service. We can’t go over even if we backed up our entire server which we did not. As they backup, they just keep including additional files to backup instead of overwriting the old original file. This keeps your space usage constantly increasing, then they send you an overage bill at the end of the month, no warnings.

• No strengths.
  • Unethical company.
  • Hit you up with overage charges without any warnings.
  • All the other services (Drop Box, Carbonite, Google, etc.) give you warnings before they go over your limit.
Unethical company, keep away. They draw you in with low fees then hit you up with overages. I am sure many companies do not even realize it because they just sign up with their credit card and forget about it.
The company is a scam.
February 25, 2020

IDrive Review

Riva Schwartz | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IDrive to back up our data from our server and from several personal drives as well. It is important to maintain some sort of cloud back-up and this is very economical.
  • It works seamlessly - Set it up once and forget it.
  • There is a desktop app as well as a website to view your data.
  • If you need to restore files on a computer that does not have the IDrive app installed - I don't believe it can be done! This should be changed.
  • If a file is left open, it will not back up. I would like to see that changed.
This is an economical way to back up less than 1000 GB of data. It can also back-up mapped drives, so you can do the back-up from a personal computer in addition to the server. Restoring tends to be a bit cumbersome, so this should be used as an emergency function, not regularly. Once I tried to add files from the server to another computer but it didn't work because the other computer didn't have the IDrive installed.
I have not had to use their tech support. I did call once but luckily figured out what to do while I was on hold so I disconnected. If I really needed them it would have been a very long hold time I suppose.
Mike Calabro | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am a freelance photographer and my worst nightmare is to lose all of my images. I have over 15 years of images in my library. Backing up my work is a necessity. I back up my images locally, off-site and on the cloud. I don't update my off-site drive as much as I should It is an external RAID that I am supposed to swap out a single drive and store it off-site every month. I have not done this in over a year. iDrive makes off-site backup easy.
  • Offers a cloud and a local backup option from the same app.
  • Fast upload speed.
  • It keeps old files forever, versioning, which helps protect against ransomware.
  • Can backup as a disc image.
  • Can search and restore for lost data. Makes finding lost files way easier than other solutions.
  • You can choose which folders to backup.
  • The user interface is very hard to use.
  • Setting up for the first time is confusing.
  • Does not offer unlimited storage.
Cloud backup is not an option in my business, it is a necessity. It works very well as a backup solution to my photos. I have had not problems with it.

IDrive is not for those who want a plug-and-play solution. It takes a bit of time to set up properly but it is worth it.
They responded quick to my questions.
We used iDrive to back up our desktops and external hard drives. In the past, we were using only an external hard drive to back up all our drives. Unfortunately, we had one of those external hard drives crash and we lost all the data on that drive. It was unrecoverable. So, iDrive solves the problem of having an off-site backup always in the cloud.
  • Supports external hard drive backups.
  • You can support an unlimited number of devices.
  • Protects from hard drive crashes.
  • You can download your data immediately, in the event your local drives crash.
  • The used to send your backed up data overnight on a hard drive (if you needed it). Now, they only have an option to download. I love that you can download your data if you need it. That is great, but I would still love the option to ship an actual hard drive because in some cases there is too much data and downloading it all could take days.
  • The UI could use an update/refresh.
  • If you are not tech-savvy it's not super obvious how to set things up. It would be helpful for some it were simplified in some aspects.
IDrive is perfect for anyone that has stores or backups up critical, important, or sensitive data. It is great for users who may have multiple devices. For example, I have a computer in our office, a laptop in our living room, and 3 external hard drives. One only stores music, the other one stores photos and personal files, while another backs up business or official information such as my tax returns. ALL of these devices can be backed up. IDrive may not be ideal for users that have thousands of gigs of data that need to be backed up.
I give them a 10 because I've only ever had to contact them about upgrading or renewing my plan and that was super easy and they were very responsive. Honestly, the experience has been so good I've never had to contact their support team about any issues with their products. Which says a lot.
Kathleen Allardyce | TrustRadius Reviewer
I tried to use iDrive to backup my PC. However, it didn't work. I went with iDrive because I could do an offline backup to start, which saved me untold hours backing up online.

When iDrive finally got around to uploading the data from the disk they provided, I found that the backup didn't work. It was running at night for 12 hours and backing up files that hadn't been changed. It almost looked like it was doing a full backup rather than incremental. I worked with their Tech Support several times and got to a Tier 2 tech who said that there were others with the same problem and he'd escalate to the "Back End" team for a resolution.

When I didn't hear back, I contacted billing for a refund. They were going to prorate the refund because "they had allocated room on the server for the data they'd uploaded." After threatening to start a dispute through my credit card company, they decided that they'd process a full refund.

• The offline initial backup is great - if it would work.
  • The operation of their software.
  • Their tech support.
  • Their customer support.
Until they get themselves together, I can't think of a scenario where their service is well suited. But, since that's too short of a response, I'll just have to say that their product isn't well designed. It starts a backup as soon as it is installed without any schedule set. I spent a day talking to my ISP and computer tech trying to figure out why my internet was messed up. Finally, I looked at their software and discovered it was backing up all by itself.
David Doss | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used iDrive to ensure I could access work across devices and have a backup when needed.
  • Syncing across multiple devices (a-la-Dropbox)
  • Backing up information (cloud backup)
  • Could be faster on sync time
  • Occasionally needs deleting and re-installing
A good one stop shop for syncing and backup needs. (Can replace Dropbox sync plus cloud storage backup from another service.) Not good in a high-security work environment (e.g. banking). Not the fastest sync service available, but one of the cheapest.