Reviews (1-6 of 6)
- It works seamlessly - Set it up once and forget it.
- There is a desktop app as well as a website to view your data.
- If you need to restore files on a computer that does not have the IDrive app installed - I don't believe it can be done! This should be changed.
- If a file is left open, it will not back up. I would like to see that changed.
- Offers a cloud and a local backup option from the same app.
- Fast upload speed.
- It keeps old files forever, versioning, which helps protect against ransomware.
- Can backup as a disc image.
- Can search and restore for lost data. Makes finding lost files way easier than other solutions.
- You can choose which folders to backup.
- The user interface is very hard to use.
- Setting up for the first time is confusing.
- Does not offer unlimited storage.
IDrive is not for those who want a plug-and-play solution. It takes a bit of time to set up properly but it is worth it.
We have a 4tb server and signed up for a 5tb service. We can’t go over even if we backed up our entire server which we did not. As they backup, they just keep including additional files to backup instead of overwriting the old original file. This keeps your space usage constantly increasing, then they send you an overage bill at the end of the month, no warnings.
- Supports external hard drive backups.
- You can support an unlimited number of devices.
- Protects from hard drive crashes.
- You can download your data immediately, in the event your local drives crash.
- The used to send your backed up data overnight on a hard drive (if you needed it). Now, they only have an option to download. I love that you can download your data if you need it. That is great, but I would still love the option to ship an actual hard drive because in some cases there is too much data and downloading it all could take days.
- The UI could use an update/refresh.
- If you are not tech-savvy it's not super obvious how to set things up. It would be helpful for some it were simplified in some aspects.
When iDrive finally got around to uploading the data from the disk they provided, I found that the backup didn't work. It was running at night for 12 hours and backing up files that hadn't been changed. It almost looked like it was doing a full backup rather than incremental. I worked with their Tech Support several times and got to a Tier 2 tech who said that there were others with the same problem and he'd escalate to the "Back End" team for a resolution.
When I didn't hear back, I contacted billing for a refund. They were going to prorate the refund because "they had allocated room on the server for the data they'd uploaded." After threatening to start a dispute through my credit card company, they decided that they'd process a full refund.
IDrive Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
IDrive Business allows users to create multiple sub-accounts within their storage space, sync files to computers and mobile devices, and share data via email, Facebook, and Twitter. IDrive is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. Business users get installation assistance and priority support.
IDrive Technical Details