IDrive Reviews

Riva Schwartz profile photo
January 23, 2020

IDrive Review

We use IDrive to back up our data from our server and from several personal drives as well. It is important to maintain some sort of cloud back-up and this is very economical.
  • It works seamlessly - Set it up once and forget it.
  • There is a desktop app as well as a website to view your data.
  • If you need to restore files on a computer that does not have the IDrive app installed - I don't believe it can be done! This should be changed.
  • If a file is left open, it will not back up. I would like to see that changed.
This is an economical way to back up less than 1000 GB of data. It can also back-up mapped drives, so you can do the back-up from a personal computer in addition to the server. Restoring tends to be a bit cumbersome, so this should be used as an emergency function, not regularly. Once I tried to add files from the server to another computer but it didn't work because the other computer didn't have the IDrive installed.
Read Riva Schwartz's full review
Mike Calabro profile photo
I am a freelance photographer and my worst nightmare is to lose all of my images. I have over 15 years of images in my library. Backing up my work is a necessity. I back up my images locally, off-site and on the cloud. I don't update my off-site drive as much as I should It is an external RAID that I am supposed to swap out a single drive and store it off-site every month. I have not done this in over a year. iDrive makes off-site backup easy.
  • Offers a cloud and a local backup option from the same app.
  • Fast upload speed.
  • It keeps old files forever, versioning, which helps protect against ransomware.
  • Can backup as a disc image.
  • Can search and restore for lost data. Makes finding lost files way easier than other solutions.
  • You can choose which folders to backup.
  • The user interface is very hard to use.
  • Setting up for the first time is confusing.
  • Does not offer unlimited storage.
Cloud backup is not an option in my business, it is a necessity. It works very well as a backup solution to my photos. I have had not problems with it.

IDrive is not for those who want a plug-and-play solution. It takes a bit of time to set up properly but it is worth it.
Read Mike Calabro's full review
We used iDrive to back up our desktops and external hard drives. In the past, we were using only an external hard drive to back up all our drives. Unfortunately, we had one of those external hard drives crash and we lost all the data on that drive. It was unrecoverable. So, iDrive solves the problem of having an off-site backup always in the cloud.
  • Supports external hard drive backups.
  • You can support an unlimited number of devices.
  • Protects from hard drive crashes.
  • You can download your data immediately, in the event your local drives crash.
  • The used to send your backed up data overnight on a hard drive (if you needed it). Now, they only have an option to download. I love that you can download your data if you need it. That is great, but I would still love the option to ship an actual hard drive because in some cases there is too much data and downloading it all could take days.
  • The UI could use an update/refresh.
  • If you are not tech-savvy it's not super obvious how to set things up. It would be helpful for some it were simplified in some aspects.
IDrive is perfect for anyone that has stores or backups up critical, important, or sensitive data. It is great for users who may have multiple devices. For example, I have a computer in our office, a laptop in our living room, and 3 external hard drives. One only stores music, the other one stores photos and personal files, while another backs up business or official information such as my tax returns. ALL of these devices can be backed up. IDrive may not be ideal for users that have thousands of gigs of data that need to be backed up.
Kathleen Allardyce profile photo
I tried to use iDrive to backup my PC. However, it didn't work. I went with iDrive because I could do an offline backup to start, which saved me untold hours backing up online.

When iDrive finally got around to uploading the data from the disk they provided, I found that the backup didn't work. It was running at night for 12 hours and backing up files that hadn't been changed. It almost looked like it was doing a full backup rather than incremental. I worked with their Tech Support several times and got to a Tier 2 tech who said that there were others with the same problem and he'd escalate to the "Back End" team for a resolution.

When I didn't hear back, I contacted billing for a refund. They were going to prorate the refund because "they had allocated room on the server for the data they'd uploaded." After threatening to start a dispute through my credit card company, they decided that they'd process a full refund.

• The offline initial backup is great - if it would work.
  • The operation of their software.
  • Their tech support.
  • Their customer support.
Until they get themselves together, I can't think of a scenario where their service is well suited. But, since that's too short of a response, I'll just have to say that their product isn't well designed. It starts a backup as soon as it is installed without any schedule set. I spent a day talking to my ISP and computer tech trying to figure out why my internet was messed up. Finally, I looked at their software and discovered it was backing up all by itself.
Read Kathleen Allardyce's full review
David Doss profile photo
I used iDrive to ensure I could access work across devices and have a backup when needed.
  • Syncing across multiple devices (a-la-Dropbox)
  • Backing up information (cloud backup)
  • Could be faster on sync time
  • Occasionally needs deleting and re-installing
A good one stop shop for syncing and backup needs. (Can replace Dropbox sync plus cloud storage backup from another service.) Not good in a high-security work environment (e.g. banking). Not the fastest sync service available, but one of the cheapest.
Read David Doss's full review

6.5
File search (4)
Device sync (3)
6.0
User and role management (3)
4.0
Reliability (4)
9.7
Storage Reports (3)

About IDrive

IDrive is a cloud storage and online backup solution. They offer a Basic 5GB plan for free, a Personal plan with 1TB for $44.62/yr, or a Business plan with 250 GB for $74.62/yr.

IDrive Business allows users to create multiple sub-accounts within their storage space, sync files to computers and mobile devices, and share data via email, Facebook, and Twitter. IDrive is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. Business users get installation assistance and priority support.

IDrive Technical Details