Intelligent IntelliJ

May 13, 2021

Reviewer Sentiment

Positive ()
Negative ()
Learn how we calculate reviewer sentiment

TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2022
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2020
TrustRadius Award Top Rated 2019

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of IntelliJ IDEA, and make your voice heard!

Intellij Idea Ultimate

Per User Per Month

What is IntelliJ IDEA?

IntelliJ IDEA is an IDE for Java Virtual Machine (JVM) from JetBrains. The vendor states IntelliJ IDEA analyzes code, looking for connections between symbols across all project files and languages. Using this information it provides indepth coding assistance, quick navigation, clever error analysis, and, of course, refactorings.

IntelliJ IDEA Video

Overview of IntelliJ IDEA

IntelliJ IDEA Technical Details

What is IntelliJ IDEA?

What is IntelliJ IDEA's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 9.1.

Who uses IntelliJ IDEA?

The most common users of IntelliJ IDEA are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Computer Software industry.

Tung Vu | TrustRadius Reviewer
Simply the trusted IDE for all your development needs. The core editor is just powerful, intelligent. And there are tons of plugins to support all the languages, formats you can think of. You can even maintain OpenApi & PlantUML documents within the IDE, with interactive rendering. SCM integration, like Git, is also top-notch. Forget the command line, just use IntelliJ's excellent GUI.
  • Markdown document support makes writing well-formatted documents a breeze
  • OpenApi spec support makes designing & maintaining your API much easier
  • PlantUML diagram support prevents your team from complaining that diagrams are too tedious
  • The number of default plugins could be smaller. Start small, let users add later according to their needs
  • Activiti workflows support leaves much to be desired
  • On complex projects, dependency management is not too reliable
For a modern software project, where you want to store everything as code, from the backend to the frontend, to the DB patch scripts, to the documents, API specs, diagrams, infrastructure-as-code, etc. IntelliJ is basically your one-stop. In the same IDE, you can write code, write a spec, draw diagrams, make changes to patch scripts, infrastructure definition.
I use IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate Edition for all my development needs. In addition to the great features, it allows for plugins which my company develops and integrates nicely with the build systems we use at the company. I use it for Java, JavaScript, TypeScript, Kotlin and more, from the development stage to the build and deployment stages.
  • Code Completion/Intellisense
  • Code linking/referencing
  • Integration of tools
  • Syntax highlighting
  • Error correction
  • Changing themes
  • Have more language support
  • Faster indexing and building
It is great for Java programming (and the Java Environment) as well as for web development, especially with frameworks such as Angular and React. For large projects consisting of multiple modules, it shines in it's organisation and simplicity.

However it does lead to some long build times. Also, not all languages (for example, Python) are good for IntelliJ.
We use coding in Java and Scala. It helps to format and view code better. It also has support for git, Gradle, and Maven. It also has support for running unit test cases. It provides widgets for project creations. There are many shortcuts available. You can also set it to use Eclipse shortcuts.
  • Provides IDE for JAVA
  • Has GIT support
  • Provides various runners for code and tests
  • Find and Replace in all files at once feature is missing
  • Some Eclipse shortcuts are not supported
  • Git is left unsynchronized at times
Well suited for java development and testing. Since it has support for git, Maven, and Gradle it becomes easier to manage projects in Intellij IDE. Intellij supports various views for programming, debugging, and testing. Debug mode is supported and is easy to use. Can be used for Java, Spring Spring boot, and Scala projects as well.
March 30, 2022

The power packed IDE

The IntelliJ IDEA is a central tool that I use on almost a daily basis for most of my development. I am an SAP Hybris developer so have to work with thousands of files and also refer through the existing codebase for making new changes or fixing the issues present in the existing system. At the same time, working on new features and customizing the Out of the box functionality is also needed, which is taken care of by the IDE. In addition to coding, I am closely involved in version control and also utilize jrebel to do hotfix changes on my local.
  • IDE for coding in different languages
  • Version control support
  • huge marketplace for adding addons
  • low footprint on disk space
  • memory management
  • user specific profiles for different projects
  • flexibility in adding new facets to existing projects
Only the memory is a concern, as IntelliJ takes up much of the available memory, especially while debugging.
It is used in order to view, modify and run Spark projects. It is used to integrate with Spark git repositories. To integrate with Spark SBT.
  • Autosaves documents
  • Has a modern, accessible layout
  • Efficient Git integration
  • Efficient and reliable code completion for Scala
  • Extremely costly premium subscription which contains some very essential features
  • Sometimes, code corrections are not helpful and annoying
  • Sometimes, error messages are not helpful
Appropriate for personal and enterprise use on medium to large-sized projects. The free community edition is sufficient for most business tasks. For students and teachers, the ultimate edition is free which is ideal. For very small projects, e.g. to just run a single file, IntelliJ IDEA may not be appropriate.
Nitin Gupta | TrustRadius Reviewer
IntelliJ IDEA is a really useful software for our organization it is used in our department for development purposes as it supports all the major languages and our developers like the user interface which is similar to the other IDEs in the market this makes it a major plus for us.
  • Support for all major languages.
  • Easy and interactive user interface.
  • Support for lot of developer tools.
  • Performance can be improved to run on low-end machines.
  • More developer friendly tools can be included.
  • Navigation to various parts of software is a new learning curve it should be par with other IDEs.
This is a great software which has helped us in delivering the requirement for our clients on time as the developers don't need to learn the user interface from scratch also developer tools are a major plus point. This only lacks in performance where we have to bring more capable machines for work.
September 30, 2021

The best Java IDE

My team is migrating from other IDEs to IntelliJ, I've had experience with other JetBrains IDEs and it's been a great change for me, we bet this will bring great productivity for our team.
  • Perfect for those who have had experience with other JetBrains tools.
  • Support for multiple frameworks.
  • Integration with servers and databases
  • Pricing is too high.
  • In the community edition there is lack of framework support.
Like other products from JetBrains, it is an IDE that integrates all the needs for projects of various frameworks. You have handy features to send commands to the terminal, access its database (view and make changes), run your code and debug simply. But it is an IDE that requires a lot of RAM, but compared to other IDEs on the market this is the best one for Java developing.
Good IDE with a lot of tools that make development easier, but it has a rather high learning curve, no problem if you already have contact with other JetBrains IDEs.
Chris Barretto | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IntelliJ IDEA as engineering discretion. If an engineer would like to use it as their IDE, then they can submit a ticket where a license will be provisioned through their SSO. Tapping from the license pool and automatically binding it to our SSO makes it very easy to distribute and manage.
  • Key mapping preferences
  • Compiling strategies (build now vs build on pause)
  • Linked classes/methods (can click onto referring method and go into file)
  • Project search
  • Sometimes can be a memory hog. Occasionally I'd have to restart IntelliJ to get my machine running smoothly again
I think it does a very good job as an IDE across a whole gamut of different languages. Syntax highlighting is obviously top-notch, and the flexibility of custom key bindings/mappings really cater to the engineer's nuances.
IntelliJ IDEA is a widely used IDE in our company. Most of the Java and Scala programmers rely on this awesome IDE, which has everything that you need in a day-to-day software development. Some of the users mainly use it as a database exploring requirements. There's nothing that this awesome tool doesn't support.
  • It makes your development easy. Smart code completion can make you write code faster than ever.
  • Advanced refactoring takes care of applying complicated changes to the code safely.
  • IntelliJ IDEA offers an amazing set of integrated developer tools that make development more productive.
  • Uses a lot of resources and almost makes your machine unusable.
  • Error messages can be improved. It's a bit confusing to understand the IntelliJ IDEA error messages.
  • Sometimes the SDKs are not properly installed when we open an existing project.
Web development: IntelliJ IDEA offers advanced support for the most important web frameworks and standards. This includes ultimate code assistance for HTML5, CSS3, SASS, LESS, JavaScript, ActionScript, and other languages.
HTML and CSS Editor: IntelliJ IDEA's advanced editor provides you with the very best coding assistance for working with HTML and CSS.
David Tanner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Developers at my company are allowed to select their desired IDE tool. There are other developers using IntelliJ IDEA.
  • Code completion
  • Navigate to source code
  • Build tool integration
  • Syntax Highlighting
  • Indexing can be slow
  • Has a lot of plugins that are automatically on
  • Better shell integration
IntelliJ IDEA has been a great tool to develop Javascript and Java services for myself. Debugging/Running code is effortless and requires minimal configuration by the user.

I prefer using a GUI to text configuration, and IntelliJ IDEA provides that very well. It would be nice if they provided textual configuration in addition to the UI.

There are many default configurations to run different scripts without having to search the internet to find examples for how to get the IDE set up.
Tharsanan Kurukulasingam | TrustRadius Reviewer
My day-to-day work involves Java development and version control related tasks. IntelliJ IDEA is a very use full editor that solves many aspects of the development. Switching between branches, committing the changes is very straightforward. I find it very easy to write Java code in this IDE because of the simple and straightforward UI.
  • UI is very intuitive
  • Built-in IntelliSense for Java
  • A lot of plugins to try out
  • Performance and CPU usage
  • It would be great if Intellij has a workspace concept
  • Intellij can improve on handling large projects.
Write Java code--IntelliJ IDEA is the best IDE for Java I ever used. The built-in IntelliSense make the development very easy and fast.

Intuitive UI--A very simple but complete UI learning curve for a beginner is very low compared to other IDEs. Personally this UI makes me comfortable while working.

Handling large projects--In this area, IntelliJ IDEA has some downsides. When opening a large project in IntelliJ IDEA, often my laptop hangs. So to work with large projects, I would recommend Eclipse.

Version control--Super easy in Intellij IDEA. It's easy to switch between branches, committing, seeing annotations, history, etc. The built-in version control system is super cool.
May 13, 2021

My best IDE

Balázs Kiss | TrustRadius Reviewer
We changed to InelliJ IDEA 4 years ago, and it has become the main IDE for most of our developers. Ranging from backend java to frontend JS applications, this IDE proved itself to be one of the most versatile IDEs out there. It has frequent updates, is very fast and stable, has a lot of very useful functions that are constantly evolving. From the close integrations of different programming languages to the outside tools like DB connections or MVN integration, this is the, if not the most useful piece of software on my computer right now.
  • Integrating hundreds of useful features and tweaks, which makes programming easier.
  • Different plugins for even more customization.
  • Close integration with other tools, from UI kits trough CI tools and much, much more.
  • Ergonomic programming environment with very well thought-out quick keys.
  • Seriously do not know many. Indexing can be a bit boring, as a lot of features are unusable until it is done.
For software developers. Backend, Frontend, Full-stack, everybody can find their ideal combination, or use the superset, IDEA itself. It has proven to be the one single tool that is needed as an IDE.
I didn't really have to contact support because their FAQ and community provided every answer I have ever needed.
We use IntelliJ IDEA for our primary IDE for Adobe Coldfusion and Lucee CFML web application development. It's a powerful IDE that helps us keep our code organized in a beautiful manner that other IDEs simply cannot match. We also use the IDE's built-in FTP/sync functionality to keep legacy websites up to date.
  • Support for CFML (ColdFusion)
  • Attractive Dark-Mode Interface
  • FTP Synchronization and Deployment
  • Would like to see support for the latest Lucee and Adobe CFML language features
  • Would like to see better introspection on ColdFusion Classes (aka Components)
IntelliJ IDEA is very well suited for web application development projects. It handles both modern and legacy projects well. The outline mode is especially helpful when dealing with large component files with many methods.
I use both IntelliJ IDEA and its dependent software, Webstorm.
We use it as the main IDE for Java development as well as Vue.js web design.
Additionally, we use IntelliJ IDEA for a side project based on Spring with Tomcat.
In all cases, we are a small team sharing the same IDE and taking advantage of its git management system.
  • GIT management.
  • Saving coding time with generators.
  • Integrated Tomcat server.
  • The IDE uses a lot of computer resources.
  • It'd be nice [to have] a light version of the software.
Big projects need a complex IDE to allow developers to explode their potential. IntelliJ IDEA is extremely helpful since it also provides a huge sort of integrated tools. Managing complex software with dependencies, folders, and files is easier with this IDE. However, maybe for a very simple project (although it's also useful), I'd prefer using another IDE. IntelliJ is so big and complete that it can be too much for simple code.
Dinesh Pabbi | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am an indie developer and a student so I work with web technologies a lot. I usually use IntelliJ when i have to develop a website quickly. IntelliJ allows me to quickly use the front end technologies and with its support of all the major new frameworks (Front end) and advanced code completion, version control capabilities, it is a complete professional developer suite for an indie developer and a team of developers alike.

What I like about This IDE:
1. Support for all the major new frameworks and technologies in front end (ActionScript, SASS, LESS)
2. Version control
3. HTML, CSS, and Javascript editor is just awesome.
4. This IDE is very quick, I mean I have not seen any other IDE being this fast. I have used Eclipse and that IDE is not close to this IDE in terms of performance.

What I don't like:
1. Well, as a student I had trouble buying it since its costly, but hey all good things do come at a cost, right?
2. Since it is feature rich, it has a somewhat big memory footprint so it requires a little more RAM usage.

• It made development in javascript a breeze. Auto-completion was on point and more importantly, the auto-completion was based on DOM model and browser. This allowed me to complete the code so much faster than I ever could before. I completed the Javascript part of my university technical fest website in 4 days!
  • It has built in support for version control, so whenever you feel like you need to backtrack to a previous state or version of website you saved , you can easily do it! This has saved me several times when code broke or when i could not figure out the problem in code so I just backtracked and re-did everything again.
  • The plugin support is really great . First of all it has plethora of plugins . Since I am trying to learn Scala, I installed the Scala plugin and I was good to go. It never felt like this IDE was not made for it.
  • The console that comes with the IDE is somewhat laggy.
  • Of course , this IDE is a memory hog as I mentioned earlier, but i think for all the features it provides it is worth it.
  • There were some minor bugs (Only happened once!) which lead to disappearance of my code entirely . But when I restarted it all came back to normal.
Due to its cost, I believe it is best suited for enterprise since its subscription model is really costly at 199$ per year. I got it on a students' subscription but again, this is a very professional IDE and if you want to use it only for web, I believe it would be going over the top since for simple web development there are cheaper alternatives. But if you are a java and a web developer and can afford it, go for it!
A. Kıvanç Güler | TrustRadius Reviewer
Best Spring and Spring Boot IDE as of Today
  • Developer ergonomics
  • Ecosystem
  • Cloud Native
  • Integrations
  • Developing inside a container
  • Docker support
Spring and Spring Boot framework development ide. Suitable for any Java standalone or enterprise application development integrated development environment. Developer productivity and ecosystem around, plugins etc. A bit oriented and focused only for Java development and java based frameworks maybe should be more agnostic and more close to other languages like java script or python or ruby
IntelliJ IDEA Enterprise edition is to die for. It is the best IDE out there in the market. It has got some out of world features like smart code completion, good suggestions for variables, finding the appropriate methods, [and] column selection mode. All of our batch mates use this IDE only. It makes the work productive and is very easy to integrate.
  • Column Selection Mode
  • Smart Code Completion
  • Auto Imports
  • Finding Appropriate Methods
  • Suggestions for almost all frameworks
  • Indexing takes lot of time
Let's say you declare 20 different variables of type int all in same code style. But, now you want to make it to other data type. So, you will have to use Find and Replace feature but it will replace all your int type variables. So, what you need to do is enter ALT + Insert and select the int column wise and voila, you have selected all the int you need to change.
It's the best support out there.
It is used by the whole department. It makes the coding process very easy and user friendly. Auto-suggestions and support for all types of different plugins really saves the developer and enhances his/her productivity. Kudos to such great product.
  • Auto Suggestions/Completion
  • Plugins
  • User Friendly
  • Refactoring needs an improvement.
  • Support for multiple projects
Well suited for a beginner who has just begun coding. We can improve our coding skills without thinking much about boilerplate code.
They have a great support when it comes to any issue you're facing with their product.
I got IntelliJ IDEA as a Github Student Developer account during my undergrad one year back. I must say this is one of the most versatile IDE for Java development. We used this IDE to build Android application for one of the client and keeping version control in IDE is very easy as compared to other available IDE'S. However, I have to migrate to some other open source available IDE'S because, it is paid for professional development.
  • It is freely available in the Github Student Developer pack.
  • It is easy to use.
  • The complete package is bit heavy.
  • It is not memory friendly.
Coding in Java is very easy and its versatility makes it easier to debug the large programs. Developing Web applications using this IDE is fun however making professional projects on this IDE is not economical because of its annual fee for its usage. However, it can be used by novice and professionals to develop various applications.
Customer support is really good in the case of IntelliJ. If you are paying for this product then, the company makes sure that you will get all the services adequately. Regular update patches are provided to improve the IDE. An online bug report makes it easier for the developers to find the solution as fast as possible. The large online community also helps to find the various solutions to the issues.
Most of the company's back end developers use IDEA Ultimate to develop in following languages Java, Scala, some of Node.js. This is the company default and it saves a lot of boilerplate code for developers and allows developing custom plugins for IDEA to make developers' live events easier.
  • Plugin development and marketplace
  • Code navigation and search
  • Github repository integration and diff comparison
  • Database connectivity directly from the IDE
  • Great dark theme
  • Memory and CPU consumption
  • Huge installation files, major updates require full reinstallation.
  • Few open instances multiply memory usage.
The best for daily developing routines and having your project integrated with Github or any other repository. It allows you to write and navigate code easily, I like XML navigation and references auto-complete. You are allowed to create a connection to your working database directly from the IDE for easy debugging and validating the correctness of your code.
Never used IT support.
As far as I am concerned, I am a huge fan of IntelliJ. I use IntelliJ for my development purposes. I am a software engineer who works on developing applications using Java and Kotlin. Kotlin is a programming language introduced by IntelliJ. It is built upon Java but it is easier to understand than Java. Anyways IntelliJ is a standard IDEE used across my organization. Bootup time is faster than its competitors Eclipse and STS.
  • I use IntelliJ mainly for application development. It has advanced features and it is intelligent in many ways. I mainly develop the code using Kotlin which is developed by IntelliJ.
  • It has seamless connectivity with third-party tools like Git, Docker. I am a huge fan of using Git with inbuilt IntelliJ connectivity. The same for Docker as well.
  • There are two versions in IntelliJ, which is community version and ultimate. Community is free of cost and for ultimate they charge $500 per year which I feel is little bit much.
  • I wish they could have added spring and spring boot capabilities to free version of IntelliJ also.
My everyday software development is done in IntelliJ. Different types of testing suites can also be added to it. Before it used to be a problem to integrate cucumber testing suites to IDEE but IntelliJ has made life easier and more sophisticated. Anyone planning to use IntelliJ for front-end web development, I don't prefer this because there are much more better tools than this in the market. If it is back-end development, this is the best choice one can get in the present scenario.
I have taken out that one point because of its pricing and sometimes it hangs without a reason and it does not allow us to close it normally. We have to force shut it and open it again.
IntelliJ IDEA is used in our Technology department for developing JAVA applications and micro services for consumption across the entire firm. IntelliJ allows building automation testing programs that are necessary for our software QA validation process. IntelliJ also provides built-in developer tools as well as database tools which are both critical to software all application development.
  • IntelliJ has very good code analyzer used for evaluating code execution and error detection.
  • IntelliJ is easy to navigate and has in-depth code assistance making it very user-friendly, especially for beginners.
  • IntelliJ is ideal for larger scale software projects and is overkill for smaller programs or for beginners new to programming.
  • IntelliJ is a memory hog and requires high-performance computer hardware and has more strict system requirements.
IntelliJ IDEA supports efficient development, packaging, and deployment of web services. For instance, IntelliJ is often used for creating RESTful web services used by other existing applications written in other languages. IntelliJ integrates well with MAVEN, Spring and AMPS which are necessary to some applications. IntelliJ IDEA fully supports XML editing and implementation. Overall, IntelliJ IDEA provides extensive features and tools for building, running and debugging code which are essential to all software development projects.
For Java development, I prefer IntelliJ IDEA over other IDE's because of the various beginner-friendly features it has to offer. IntelliJ IDEA offers many "smart" and helpful features at the same time improving user experience and coding knowledge. Additionally, the UI allows quick and easy navigation. IntelliJ IDEA lets you quickly and easily write and change the code, suggests appropriate names, finds the appropriate methods. It does not require you to exactly select the expressions, but guesses what you want to do and how you wanted to name it. It anticipates and suggests which gives it the intelligence that other IDEs lack.
Joshua Cariño | TrustRadius Reviewer
IntelliJ IDEA is used by most of our developers. It is the go-to Development Environment in the organization as it has a rich feature set.
  • Themes. There are a lot of themes out in its marketplace that we could use to customize the IDE to our liking. I like best the themes that automatically identify file types and change its icon, so it is easy to identify a file type even without looking at its extension.
  • Has a lot of Configuration Options.
  • The IDE is very slow to start. It's very heavy on system resources, unlike other IDEs I've used. It would also sometime not detect maven projects, had to reimport, or re-open files repeatedly for it to identify the project files.
  • Sometimes produces very generic errors that are very hard to pinpoint where or what the issue is.
IntelliJ IDEA is very well suited for Web App Development, but with a very rich feature set, the UI is quite complicated to use. I hope they could clean up the UI further and make menu navigation and classification easy.
Never asked for support, especially when we're using a free version. And most issues that could be encountered are found on the web with a solution anyway.
IntelliJ is used by the engineering team to assist in building our web service, which is primarily written in Scala and Java. Scala and Java have statically typed languages for which IntelliJ has great support. IntelliJ helps us understand the code better by giving type annotations, alerting on syntax errors, and linking the code together so that variables and functions are "clickable", meaning you can go to their definition. IntelliJ also has great support for automatically formatting our code so my fellow engineers don't have to nit-pick at my code whitespace and indentation.
  • Deep integration for most statically typed languages.
  • Always improving: new releases packed with features every few months.
  • It consumes tons of memory and battery. On my Macbook Pro, it uses 3% of my energy impact and uses 2.1 GB of RAM.
  • Way too customizable without any supporting documentation makes customizing it difficult. I pretty much have to go on Stackoverflow sometimes just to customize IntelliJ! One example is for me to do something as simple as adjusting only the editor font size, I found 3 different settings all called "editor font size" but only one of them worked. Maybe the other settings overwrote each other? I don't know!
So if you are a backend developer working with statically typed JVM languages such as Scala, Java, and Clojure, IntelliJ is pretty much your only real option. Sure, there's Eclipse, but everyone who works in Java knows Eclipse is way too buggy and lacks the powerful features that make JVM developers most productive. And it's even worse for Scala, because no other editor, not even Eclipse, has deep support, so Scala programmers are pretty much stuck on IntelliJ (unless you are willing to try out VSC's new Metals extension, which my coworkers say is still too beta for them).

If you are a front end developer, there's no reason to use IntelliJ because the IDE features such as autocomplete or code navigation aren't available for them anyway. It's much better to just roll with Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text, or VSCode, which are way more intuitive to use and lightweight.
IntelliJ has great email support. I've usually gotten replies the same day. If you file a bug through YouTrack, you can publicly track it's status here https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/oauth?state=%2Fissues%2FIDEA. IntelliJ's developers squash bugs in the code editor pretty fast but are pretty slow in their plugins. For example, I use Ideavim (the Vim plugin) and there was a huge bug with exiting insert mode that took 4 months for them to fix after I and several other people filed the bug with them.
November 10, 2019

My review of IntelliJ

All Java developers are using IntelliJ IDEA at LinkedIn. It's the only supported Java IDE in our company. Java developers use it to build everything.
  • Auto-complete. It can always help you find the APIs you need.
  • Extension and plugins. There are many third-party plugins that can improve developer productivity. It's also easy to develop your own plugins quickly.
  • Debugging. IntelliJ offers a full set of features to support debugging your program.
  • Performance. Sometimes it's slow if you are developing a large project.
It's a great IDE for Java developers. I recommend IntelliJ for everyday Java development, especially for large companies.
We have our own in-house team to support our IntelliJ, so we didn't get a lot of support from IntelliJ itself.