IntelliJ IDEA Reviews

Kunal Verma | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 20, 2020

IntelliJ IDEA for JAVA Developers.

I got IntelliJ IDEA as a Github Student Developer account during my undergrad one year back. I must say this is one of the most versatile IDE for Java development. We used this IDE to build Android application for one of the client and keeping version control in IDE is very easy as compared to other available IDE'S. However, I have to migrate to some other open source available IDE'S because, it is paid for professional development.
  • It is freely available in the Github Student Developer pack.
  • It is easy to use.
  • The complete package is bit heavy.
  • It is not memory friendly.
Coding in Java is very easy and its versatility makes it easier to debug the large programs. Developing Web applications using this IDE is fun however making professional projects on this IDE is not economical because of its annual fee for its usage. However, it can be used by novice and professionals to develop various applications.
Customer support is really good in the case of IntelliJ. If you are paying for this product then, the company makes sure that you will get all the services adequately. Regular update patches are provided to improve the IDE. An online bug report makes it easier for the developers to find the solution as fast as possible. The large online community also helps to find the various solutions to the issues.
Read Kunal Verma's full review
Sumanthkumar Nagamalli | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

My experience with IntelliJ

As far as I am concerned, I am a huge fan of IntelliJ. I use IntelliJ for my development purposes. I am a software engineer who works on developing applications using Java and Kotlin. Kotlin is a programming language introduced by IntelliJ. It is built upon Java but it is easier to understand than Java. Anyways IntelliJ is a standard IDEE used across my organization. Bootup time is faster than its competitors Eclipse and STS.
  • I use IntelliJ mainly for application development. It has advanced features and it is intelligent in many ways. I mainly develop the code using Kotlin which is developed by IntelliJ.
  • It has seamless connectivity with third-party tools like Git, Docker. I am a huge fan of using Git with inbuilt IntelliJ connectivity. The same for Docker as well.
  • There are two versions in IntelliJ, which is community version and ultimate. Community is free of cost and for ultimate they charge $500 per year which I feel is little bit much.
  • I wish they could have added spring and spring boot capabilities to free version of IntelliJ also.
My everyday software development is done in IntelliJ. Different types of testing suites can also be added to it. Before it used to be a problem to integrate cucumber testing suites to IDEE but IntelliJ has made life easier and more sophisticated. Anyone planning to use IntelliJ for front-end web development, I don't prefer this because there are much more better tools than this in the market. If it is back-end development, this is the best choice one can get in the present scenario.
I have taken out that one point because of its pricing and sometimes it hangs without a reason and it does not allow us to close it normally. We have to force shut it and open it again.
Read Sumanthkumar Nagamalli's full review
Joshua Cariño | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2020

Good IDE to use, but expensive and heavy on System Resource.

IntelliJ IDEA is used by most of our developers. It is the go-to Development Environment in the organization as it has a rich feature set.
  • Themes. There are a lot of themes out in its marketplace that we could use to customize the IDE to our liking. I like best the themes that automatically identify file types and change its icon, so it is easy to identify a file type even without looking at its extension.
  • Has a lot of Configuration Options.
  • The IDE is very slow to start. It's very heavy on system resources, unlike other IDEs I've used. It would also sometime not detect maven projects, had to reimport, or re-open files repeatedly for it to identify the project files.
  • Sometimes produces very generic errors that are very hard to pinpoint where or what the issue is.
IntelliJ IDEA is very well suited for Web App Development, but with a very rich feature set, the UI is quite complicated to use. I hope they could clean up the UI further and make menu navigation and classification easy.
Never asked for support, especially when we're using a free version. And most issues that could be encountered are found on the web with a solution anyway.
Read Joshua Cariño's full review
March 11, 2020

A truly intelligent IDE for Java developers

We use IntelliJ IDEA as our integrated development environment (IDE) of choice for our developers, and it is part of our standard toolset. It is, by far, the best IDE on the market, especially for Java development. It is intelligent (as the name suggests), feature-rich, and helps to boost developer productivity significantly.
  • Great support and integration for common developer tools such as Maven, databases, etc.
  • Intellisense and language support (e.g. Java) is second to none, a great productivity booster.
  • Great plugin ecosystem to additional features
  • Has everything you will need right out of the box.
  • Indexing process sometimes can take a long time.
  • Can use up significant amount of system resources (e.g. memory).
  • If you want to ultimate experience, you need to get the Ultimate edition, which can be pricey.
If you are a Java developer, IntelliJ IDEA is the best IDE on the market. I was a long-time Eclipse user and after switching over to IntelliJ, I never looked back. Almost everything I need to do as a developer is right there at my fingertips--database browser, build tool integration--it is all there. And there is something about IntelliJ that truly makes it intelligent. It is able to "understand" what I am doing and "predict" what I am going to do, so the intellisense suggestions it makes are usually spot-on, unlike other IDEs that just dump the kitchen sink on you.

IntelliJ IDEA also has great support for other languages and frameworks such as JavaScript, Scala, etc., which Eclipse does not support so well.
I never really needed support as the product is solid. Any questions that do come up can usually be resolved via online resources. IntelliJ IDEA is popular enough to have a big enough community for you to find answers to common questions. They do have a public bug tracker if you run into issues, but I personally find it difficult to navigate and keep track of.
March 03, 2020

Great IDE for every one! From beginner to advanced developer.

Most of the company's back end developers use IDEA Ultimate to develop in following languages Java, Scala, some of Node.js. This is the company default and it saves a lot of boilerplate code for developers and allows developing custom plugins for IDEA to make developers' live events easier.
  • Plugin development and marketplace
  • Code navigation and search
  • Github repository integration and diff comparison
  • Database connectivity directly from the IDE
  • Great dark theme
  • Memory and CPU consumption
  • Huge installation files, major updates require full reinstallation.
  • Few open instances multiply memory usage.
The best for daily developing routines and having your project integrated with Github or any other repository. It allows you to write and navigate code easily, I like XML navigation and references auto-complete. You are allowed to create a connection to your working database directly from the IDE for easy debugging and validating the correctness of your code.
Never used IT support.
January 23, 2020

IntelliJ is truly smart and improves your coding

IntelliJ IDEA is used in our Technology department for developing JAVA applications and micro services for consumption across the entire firm. IntelliJ allows building automation testing programs that are necessary for our software QA validation process. IntelliJ also provides built-in developer tools as well as database tools which are both critical to software all application development.
  • IntelliJ has very good code analyzer used for evaluating code execution and error detection.
  • IntelliJ is easy to navigate and has in-depth code assistance making it very user-friendly, especially for beginners.
  • IntelliJ is ideal for larger scale software projects and is overkill for smaller programs or for beginners new to programming.
  • IntelliJ is a memory hog and requires high-performance computer hardware and has more strict system requirements.
IntelliJ IDEA supports efficient development, packaging, and deployment of web services. For instance, IntelliJ is often used for creating RESTful web services used by other existing applications written in other languages. IntelliJ integrates well with MAVEN, Spring and AMPS which are necessary to some applications. IntelliJ IDEA fully supports XML editing and implementation. Overall, IntelliJ IDEA provides extensive features and tools for building, running and debugging code which are essential to all software development projects.
For Java development, I prefer IntelliJ IDEA over other IDE's because of the various beginner-friendly features it has to offer. IntelliJ IDEA offers many "smart" and helpful features at the same time improving user experience and coding knowledge. Additionally, the UI allows quick and easy navigation. IntelliJ IDEA lets you quickly and easily write and change the code, suggests appropriate names, finds the appropriate methods. It does not require you to exactly select the expressions, but guesses what you want to do and how you wanted to name it. It anticipates and suggests which gives it the intelligence that other IDEs lack.
Balázs Kiss | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 19, 2019

My best IDE

We changed to InelliJ IDEA 4 years ago, and it has become the main IDE for most of our developers. Ranging from backend java to frontend JS applications, this IDE proved itself to be one of the most versatile IDEs out there. It has frequent updates, is very fast and stable, has a lot of very useful functions that are constantly evolving. From the close integrations of different programming languages to the outside tools like DB connections or MVN integration, this is the, if not the most useful piece of software on my computer right now.
  • Integrating hundreds of useful features and tweaks, which makes programming easier.
  • Different plugins for even more customization.
  • Close integration with other tools, from UI kits trough CI tools and much, much more.
  • Ergonomic programming environment with very well thought-out quick keys.
  • Seriously do not know many. Indexing can be a bit boring, as a lot of features are unusable until it is done.
For software developers. Backend, Frontend, Full-stack, everybody can find their ideal combination, or use the superset, IDEA itself. It has proven to be the one single tool that is needed as an IDE.
I didn't really have to contact support because their FAQ and community provided every answer I have ever needed.
Read Balázs Kiss's full review
Zhann Goloborodko | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 23, 2019

IntelliJ is an incredible Java IDE

IntelliJ IDEA is being used by our software team when developing our Java applications. This is by far the best Java IDE I have come across. It is incredibly intuitive, very customizable and a huge step up from Eclipse.
  • Integrates well with Maven
  • Autocomplete is immensely intuitive
  • Automatically generates boilerplate code
  • Immense amount of shortcuts
  • Very good at understanding the nature of Java programs, jumping well from place to place
  • Some upgrades don't work well for me
  • Memory intensive
  • Not as many plugins as Eclipse
When developing Java code, there is no better IDE.
Read Zhann Goloborodko's full review
Rahul Rajput | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 09, 2019

Best suited for Android and Scala development

I have been using IntelliJ IDEA for more than 2 years. As a Data Engineer at my company Datametica, I have been using IntelliJ IDEA to work in Scala and Spark, and I also need to work with Shell scripting too. This software is so easy to use and is very helpful in rapid development.
  • It auto imports all the packages from the pom.xml in my Scala development.
  • Makes easy suggestions to improve code.
  • Helpful when migrating code from one version to another.
  • Heavy to use/run.
  • Sometimes it gets stuck/freezes and work will be lost.
  • Costly.
It is well suited in Android and Scala development, I would definitely recommend it to all of my friends for this. The dark theme is really relaxing on the eyes. I would say it is much heavier on your PC and much costlier than other available software.
Read Rahul Rajput's full review
December 12, 2019

Amazing support for statically typed languages, but avoid for front-end!

IntelliJ is used by the engineering team to assist in building our web service, which is primarily written in Scala and Java. Scala and Java have statically typed languages for which IntelliJ has great support. IntelliJ helps us understand the code better by giving type annotations, alerting on syntax errors, and linking the code together so that variables and functions are "clickable", meaning you can go to their definition. IntelliJ also has great support for automatically formatting our code so my fellow engineers don't have to nit-pick at my code whitespace and indentation.
  • Deep integration for most statically typed languages.
  • Always improving: new releases packed with features every few months.
  • It consumes tons of memory and battery. On my Macbook Pro, it uses 3% of my energy impact and uses 2.1 GB of RAM.
  • Way too customizable without any supporting documentation makes customizing it difficult. I pretty much have to go on Stackoverflow sometimes just to customize IntelliJ! One example is for me to do something as simple as adjusting only the editor font size, I found 3 different settings all called "editor font size" but only one of them worked. Maybe the other settings overwrote each other? I don't know!
So if you are a backend developer working with statically typed JVM languages such as Scala, Java, and Clojure, IntelliJ is pretty much your only real option. Sure, there's Eclipse, but everyone who works in Java knows Eclipse is way too buggy and lacks the powerful features that make JVM developers most productive. And it's even worse for Scala, because no other editor, not even Eclipse, has deep support, so Scala programmers are pretty much stuck on IntelliJ (unless you are willing to try out VSC's new Metals extension, which my coworkers say is still too beta for them).

If you are a front end developer, there's no reason to use IntelliJ because the IDE features such as autocomplete or code navigation aren't available for them anyway. It's much better to just roll with Vim, Emacs, Sublime Text, or VSCode, which are way more intuitive to use and lightweight.
IntelliJ has great email support. I've usually gotten replies the same day. If you file a bug through YouTrack, you can publicly track it's status here https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/oauth?state=%2Fissues%2FIDEA. IntelliJ's developers squash bugs in the code editor pretty fast but are pretty slow in their plugins. For example, I use Ideavim (the Vim plugin) and there was a huge bug with exiting insert mode that took 4 months for them to fix after I and several other people filed the bug with them.
November 16, 2019

The best Java IDE

My team is migrating from other IDEs to IntelliJ, I've had experience with other JetBrains IDEs and it's been a great change for me, we bet this will bring great productivity for our team.
  • Perfect for those who have had experience with other JetBrains tools.
  • Support for multiple frameworks.
  • Integration with servers and databases
  • Pricing is too high.
  • In the community edition there is lack of framework support.
Like other products from JetBrains, it is an IDE that integrates all the needs for projects of various frameworks. You have handy features to send commands to the terminal, access its database (view and make changes), run your code and debug simply. But it is an IDE that requires a lot of RAM, but compared to other IDEs on the market this is the best one for Java developing.
Good IDE with a lot of tools that make development easier, but it has a rather high learning curve, no problem if you already have contact with other JetBrains IDEs.
November 09, 2019

My review of IntelliJ

All Java developers are using IntelliJ IDEA at LinkedIn. It's the only supported Java IDE in our company. Java developers use it to build everything.
  • Auto-complete. It can always help you find the APIs you need.
  • Extension and plugins. There are many third-party plugins that can improve developer productivity. It's also easy to develop your own plugins quickly.
  • Debugging. IntelliJ offers a full set of features to support debugging your program.
  • Performance. Sometimes it's slow if you are developing a large project.
It's a great IDE for Java developers. I recommend IntelliJ for everyday Java development, especially for large companies.
We have our own in-house team to support our IntelliJ, so we didn't get a lot of support from IntelliJ itself.
August 26, 2019

One uniform Java IDE for all - works for large teams in enterprise.

IntelliJ idea is being used as the core Java integrated development environment for my organization's project. It is being used by 3 teams across different functions and the business problem it solves is the need for a cross platform, uniform environment to write code in Java that can be tested thoroughly.
  • integrated development environment
  • code testing
  • code organization
  • documentation
IntelliJ Idea is best suited for Java development. If you are using a different language than IntelliJ Idea would not be sufficient for the various workflows and processes that are needed for Java development.
IntelliJ has great support when you need it. Their forums are the key area for support as the company is European and I haven't seen the exact need to get ahold of a human being per se. There's enough information out there about the software so it's pretty solid for your average software engineer.
November 05, 2019

Best IDE for Java developers

All Java and Clojure developers use this tool at my company. The development is quite fast with this tool as it provides a lot of features like autocompletion etc. It is not being used across company wide but restricted to few teams only. It has helped us in writing day to day code in a very fast and easy manner.
  • Inbuilt support for a web server which makes Java web application faster
  • Auto code completion. By just typing a few words, it will complete the whole code block like try catch.
  • Lots of plugins like Sonar Lint. Using those you can analyse your code while writing it
  • Provides a decompiled code of libraries which can help a lot
  • It is a very heavy tool and consumes a lot of memory
  • If you are a new java developer, then you shouldn't use it heavily as it will affect your learning ability
I have had a very good experience using this tool for Java and Clojure development. Not sure how useful it will be for other languages like NodeJs. But for Java developers, it is the best thing to use.
It has got all the features that a java developer would need. It has inbuilt support for web server with which you will not need to deploy your application in some other server. You can start your application from this tool itself.
Dylan Cauwels | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 18, 2019

IntelliJ-- finally a usable java IDE

IntelliJ is used by myself and my team whenever we need to develop any java applications that are more than 2-3 packages. It's much simpler than Eclipse or any other open source IDE. Yes, you have to pay for it, and it can get expensive if you're an independent contractor, but as a company, it's an easily justifiable expense.
  • Indexing files and adjusting the project quickly.
  • Wide access to plugins.
  • Great company product support.
  • Slow indexing with large projects.
  • Complicated and slow-to-learn UI.
IntelliJ is great for all your complex java projects. It is quite a heavy program, so you're going to need some decent hardware to run it. It definitely is not good for scripting up quick solutions, as it takes a lot of set up to start coding, debugging, and running effectively.
Read Dylan Cauwels's full review
Johan Sarmiento | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2019

The best, most wonderful and complete tool to develop in java.

Currently, my company is using IntelliJ IDEA in the development of Java projects. Its use is in the development of a desktop application at a recognized bank where the entire platform is based on this application, as well as the back-end where we use DB Sybase, and Java Maven for its integration. We also use the front-end with the Javascript in this tool.
  • User-Friendly
  • Nice interface
  • Easy integration with the git
  • Easy integration with almost any type of database, without interruptions or errors.
  • Improve the use and understanding of cucumber tests.
It is suitable for developing projects where it requires the use of all layers and the use of version control software. I think it would be inappropriate to use it only as a database client because for that there are other applications that are specifically dedicated to that.
Read Johan Sarmiento's full review
Dilip Puri | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 26, 2019

An insight on IntelliJ

IntelliJ is not being used by the whole company but it is being used few of us. Most of the time it is being used for Java development. It is really compatible with JVM based languages like Scala. It reduces the repetitive and mundane task, it can correct simple errors in code. It has really good suggestions in code, probably the best I have seen in all the IDEs.
  • It has the best coding suggestion among all the IDEs. It can handle basic syntax errors too. It works like real-time code inspection.
  • The other most important feature is auto-compilation. It automatically handles syntax errors too.
  • It has the best code debugger. At any breakpoint, you can see what the code does.
  • It has inbuilt database management support too.
  • IntelliJ requires a good amount of RAM, so if you have at least 8 gb ram then no issues.
  • The learning curve for IntelliJ is a bit steep compared to other IDE.
  • It is really resource intensive. It uses too much power, and a good amount of ram and processing power.
IntelliJ is best suited if you are using a desktop or connected with a power source, otherwise it drains your battery too quickly. IntelliJ is best suited if you are using either Java or JVM based languages. Since this is a commercialized IDE it has little community and sometimes when you are stuck then you may not find support that easily.
Read Dilip Puri's full review
April 24, 2019

IntelliJ IDEA for your Java needs!

IntelliJ IDEA is being used extensively, but not exclusively, here at my place of work. Every team I've been on has relied heavily on it, and many other teams and departments do too. It solves the problem of having to use multiple tools with an IDE that doesn't integrate well with Maven or Node or Apache or Spring. IntelliJ IDEA is very powerful and boosts efficiency.
  • Unit testing: Fully integrated into IntelliJ IDEA. Your unit tests will run smoothly and efficiently, with excellent debugging tools for when things get tricky.
  • Spring integration: Our Spring project using Maven works flawlessly in IntelliJ IDEA. I know firsthand that Apache is also easily and readily supported too. The integration is seamless and very easy to set up using IntelliJ IDEA's set up wizard when importing new projects.
  • Customization: IntelliJ IDEA comes out of the box with a bunch of handy shortcuts, as well as text prediction, syntax error detection, and other tools to help keep your code clean. But even better is that it allows for total customization of shortcuts you can easily create to suit your needs.
  • UI: The two provided themes leave a lot to be desired. The light theme is hard on the eyes, and the dark theme is very blank and looks old school. Functionality is great, but the UI could use some attention.
  • Price: If you're not using the Community version, IntelliJ IDEA can be quite pricey depending on your needs.
  • CPU demands: With bigger projects, IntelliJ IDEA certainly isn't the most efficient IDE out there. But it gets the job done!
IntelliJ IDEA is fantastic for all things Java. If you're starting or already working on a Java project, look no further than IntelliJ IDEA. If you want Gradle build integration or are using Maven or Apache, IntelliJ IDEA can do it all. It really is a complete development system with countless customization features available.
July 04, 2019

One tool for all the areas of Java development

I am a software developer, mainly using Java. This tool is the right tool for me to develop my applications with comfort. For me, the reason to use this tool is that it has all the features for the developer for each area. For example, if you are developing some web application it provides tools for managing your database and web server.
  • It supports all the areas where Java is used
  • It provides very advanced features for the developers such as, for development, testing, and for the management
  • It is easy to use and easy to install
  • There are a lot of plugins which provide flexibility for the developers
  • There is a big community which develops plugins
  • File indexing for each project is taking too much time sometimes
  • Becasue of complex features the application is not working smoothly on slow computers
  • The UI of the application is complex for the newbies
This tool is designed for all the developers who are using Java. For example, if you are a web developer and you are developing both front end and back end, you will be able to develop both parts from this application. You do not need to use some extra tool for another part of your application. If you have a database for your application and you want to manage it you do not need to use some extra tool for database management, this tool provides you a feature where you can manage and manipulate your database. If you are developing a web application and you want to run it, you do not need to install a web server for the application because IntelliJ has preinstalled web server where you can run your web applications.
February 15, 2019

Fast track development

IntelliJ IDEA is being used by many people in my organization. We use it for development, database access, and Salesforce querying. It's quite easy to write SOQL queries and get results using the Illuminating Cloud plugin for Salesforce. We also access databases such as Oracle on IntelliJ IDEA. The keyboard shortcuts are great.
  • It's a great tool which is very intuitive
  • It's very convenient for database access
  • With the Illuminating Cloud plugin, we can do SOQL queries very easily
  • I wish the licensing was easy. I have to buy a separate license for IntelliJ IDEA and Illuminating Cloud.
It is a great tool for Java/J2EE programming and integrating with version control systems such as Git and SVN, and databases such as Oracle. We can also integrate with maven and perform build automation on it. We also use this for SOQL querying for our Salesforce development, configuration, and data migration from one environment to another.
Dhruba Jyoti Nag | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA - a great IDE for Java developers

IntelliJ IDEA is used by developers in our organization as the standard IDE to develop code. It drastically reduces time to develop effective code and being an enterprise licensed product , it offers enterprise features which are not present in other IDES like Eclipse or STS. It is mainly used to develop efficient code in quick time.
  • Debugging in Java is easier in IDEA.
  • Code hinting is way ahead and more smart.
  • Code refactoring is much more easier since more options are given here.
  • IntelliJ IDEA wins as long as the language is Java. Outside that , e.g., in other languages, it is not so advanced.
  • It is licensed, with a steep licensing cost. All features are not included in the free edition.
  • It is not as light as Eclipse, so in a weak system, it can be a pain.
IntelliJ IDEA is well suited for someone involved in enterprise Java development. It helps in auto completion, code refactoring and debugging. However if someone wants to use it for development in other languages, it may not be well suited. It comes with a cost, so that should be factored in as well. It is also not as fast as Eclipse, though it is much more efficient.
Read Dhruba Jyoti Nag's full review
Dinesh Pabbi | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 17, 2018

A Professional Software Development tool that comes at a Price

I am an indie developer and a student so I work with web technologies a lot. I usually use IntelliJ when i have to develop a website quickly. IntelliJ allows me to quickly use the front end technologies and with its support of all the major new frameworks (Front end) and advanced code completion, version control capabilities, it is a complete professional developer suite for an indie developer and a team of developers alike.

What I like about This IDE:
1. Support for all the major new frameworks and technologies in front end (ActionScript, SASS, LESS)
2. Version control
3. HTML, CSS, and Javascript editor is just awesome.
4. This IDE is very quick, I mean I have not seen any other IDE being this fast. I have used Eclipse and that IDE is not close to this IDE in terms of performance.

What I don't like:
1. Well, as a student I had trouble buying it since its costly, but hey all good things do come at a cost, right?
2. Since it is feature rich, it has a somewhat big memory footprint so it requires a little more RAM usage.

• It made development in javascript a breeze. Auto-completion was on point and more importantly, the auto-completion was based on DOM model and browser. This allowed me to complete the code so much faster than I ever could before. I completed the Javascript part of my university technical fest website in 4 days!
  • It has built in support for version control, so whenever you feel like you need to backtrack to a previous state or version of website you saved , you can easily do it! This has saved me several times when code broke or when i could not figure out the problem in code so I just backtracked and re-did everything again.
  • The plugin support is really great . First of all it has plethora of plugins . Since I am trying to learn Scala, I installed the Scala plugin and I was good to go. It never felt like this IDE was not made for it.
  • The console that comes with the IDE is somewhat laggy.
  • Of course , this IDE is a memory hog as I mentioned earlier, but i think for all the features it provides it is worth it.
  • There were some minor bugs (Only happened once!) which lead to disappearance of my code entirely . But when I restarted it all came back to normal.
Due to its cost, I believe it is best suited for enterprise since its subscription model is really costly at 199$ per year. I got it on a students' subscription but again, this is a very professional IDE and if you want to use it only for web, I believe it would be going over the top since for simple web development there are cheaper alternatives. But if you are a java and a web developer and can afford it, go for it!
Read Dinesh Pabbi's full review
Rounak Jangir | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2018

Best IDE for JAVA development

Most of the time, I personally use this tool. And I mostly use this tool for Java development including a web application of Java to normal command line app of Java. Not everyone uses this, some of us use Eclipse and NetBeans as well. With intellIj it's very easy to handle a Maven or Gradle project. Adding dependency with just one click is very good. It made Java development a lot easier.
  • Developing the web application in Java does a fantastic thing
  • Even when creating the command line app or a simple desktop app with Java, intelIj performs very well
  • It has lots of feature like auto pom/gradle refresh, auto suggestion, auto completion etc.
  • It should be made light weighted. Whenever I run this tool it consumes lot of RAM and make whole system slow.
  • It is too costly to afford by everyone.
  • It can be made better or should have good support for web programming language like javascript, nodejs, angular etc.
If you are doing web development or some other kind of app building using Java then you should definitely use IntelliJ only. It has lots and lots of features and support for Java. But if you are not doing Java, and are doing web programming using AngularJs or reactJs then it is not a great choice as there are a lot of other editor/IDEs which can do better like VS Code.
Read Rounak Jangir's full review
James Pautz II | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 02, 2018

The best Java IDE

It is generally used widely by the technical teams at my company. We aren't required to use one IDE or another, but since IntelliJ IDEA is an excellent IDE that is cross-platform, it is widely adopted. A few of my co-workers use Eclipse, and I used to as well, but I've made the switch and have been happy with IDEA.
  • The UI is clean, has an excellent built-in dark theme, and is customize-able. I was able to easily switch the keyboard shortcuts to Eclipse's shortcuts, making the switch to IDEA seamless.
  • The code-completion is fast and intuitive
  • Code validation is very helpful
  • It is slow to initially load
  • It uses a fair bit of memory
If you are writing Java in almost any context, it is a worthwhile IDE. I'm mostly doing scripting with Java and it works great.

I don't think it is the best GUI for source control. I find its Subversion implementation clunky at best. I haven't used the Git integration, but I can't imaging it being much different.
Read James Pautz II's full review
Ilya Popovich | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 10, 2018

Great IDE for everyone

Everyone who is involved in Java software developing in our company uses IntelliJ IDEA. Doesn't matter if you are a developer or a software developer in test - you will find a spectrum of necessary tools for you. The main problem that is solved using IDEA: you get strong reliable IDE with dozens of useful plugins.
  • Clean, customizable UI.
  • Code refactoring is easier than ever.
  • VSC is supported out of the box.
  • It works with many languages.
  • High pricing.
  • RAM greedy.
  • Learning curve for newbies is very steep.
Definitely I'll recommend IDEA IntelliJ for anyone, it's IDE standard for now. Even if you don't have the money for a subscription, you can try the Community Edition to find out all the pros of using IDEA.
Read Ilya Popovich's full review