https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/xK/8J/W0DG7INODPE0.JPEGA Professional Software Development tool that comes at a PriceI am an indie developer and a student so I work with web technologies a lot. I usually use IntelliJ when i have to develop a website quickly. IntelliJ allows me to quickly use the front end technologies and with its support of all the major new frameworks (Front end) and advanced code completion, version control capabilities, it is a complete professional developer suite for an indie developer and a team of developers alike. What I like about This IDE:1. Support for all the major new frameworks and technologies in front end (ActionScript, SASS, LESS) 2. Version control3. HTML, CSS, and Javascript editor is just awesome.4. This IDE is very quick, I mean I have not seen any other IDE being this fast. I have used eclipse and that IDE is not close to this IDE in terms of performance. What I don't like:1. Well, as a student I had trouble buying it since its costly, but hey all good things do come at a cost, right?2. Since it is feature rich, it has a somewhat big memory footprint so it requires a little more RAM usage.,It made development in javascript a breeze. Auto-completion was on point and more importantly, the auto-completion was based on DOM model and browser. This allowed me to complete the code so much faster than I ever could before. I completed the Javascript part of my university technical fest website in 4 days! It has built in support for version control, so whenever you feel like you need to backtrack to a previous state or version of website you saved , you can easily do it! This has saved me several times when code broke or when i could not figure out the problem in code so I just backtracked and re-did everything again. The plugin support is really great . First of all it has plethora of plugins . Since I am trying to learn Scala, I installed the Scala plugin and I was good to go. It never felt like this IDE was not made for it.,The console that comes with the IDE is somewhat laggy. Of course , this IDE is a memory hog as I mentioned earlier, but i think for all the features it provides it is worth it. There were some minor bugs (Only happened once!) which lead to disappearance of my code entirely . But when I restarted it all came back to normal.,9,Since I am an indie developer and a student too, I can say for myself that it added speed and efficiency to my development process. I was happy developing websites in it.,Eclipse and NetBeans,Eclipse, PyCharmThe best Java IDEIt is generally used widely by the technical teams at my company. We aren't required to use one IDE or another, but since IntelliJ IDEA is an excellent IDE that is cross-platform, it is widely adopted. A few of my co-workers use Eclipse, and I used to as well, but I've made the switch and have been happy with IDEA.,The UI is clean, has an excellent built-in dark theme, and is customize-able. I was able to easily switch the keyboard shortcuts to Eclipse's shortcuts, making the switch to IDEA seamless. The code-completion is fast and intuitive Code validation is very helpful,It is slow to initially load It uses a fair bit of memory,10,Since I'm using the free Community Edition, there has been no cost or negative ROI.,Eclipse,Slack, OneNoteGreat IDE for everyoneEveryone who is involved in Java software developing in our company uses IntelliJ IDEA. Doesn't matter if you are a developer or a software developer in test - you will find a spectrum of necessary tools for you. The main problem that is solved using IDEA: you get strong reliable IDE with dozens of useful plugins.,Clean, customizable UI. Code refactoring is easier than ever. VSC is supported out of the box. It works with many languages.,High pricing. RAM greedy. Learning curve for newbies is very steep.,10,Code became more reliable. Faster development cycle -> Time To Market decreased Consistent code across the whole organization.,Eclipse and NetBeans,IntelliJ WebStorm, PyCharm, PhpStormA Wonderful World for Programmers and Developers, watch out for nightmaresFor the implementation of modules and large projects, which are managed in the areas of software and development, which can generate a more efficient and higher quality work, given its interface.,The immense quality of its graphical and user interface. It allows adding plug-ins or cookies, among other extensions which can be downloaded directly from the same IDE. It offers a pleasant UI with a variety of options that can be adjusted.,Having to add a lot of options and modifications that seem endless It becomes cumbersome and annoying to have updates/changes occurring all the time, which does not allow one to become familiar with the software.,8,Allow the user to choose what to use and what not, although this can generate conflicts by not simplifying it. Open possibilities through Open Source to work in a wide variety of servers, even if they have connection instability. The ability to interact directly with the coding and compilation is not as interactive as it should be.,NetBeans, Eclipse and Visual Studio IDE,NetBeans, Eclipse, Visual Studio IDE, AtomicWriterIntelliJ IDEA ReviewIntelliJ is being used by all developers across the software engineering team for development in Java. It serves as the de-facto IDE for every developer and we all use it to develop within our local environment.,Its smart package import is massively helpful. Simplifies the coding process Creating a project is very simple and you can get started very quickly and spend more time developing. Large plugin ecosystem make it so IntelliJ can be even more functional beyond what it ships as.,IntelliJ has confusing menus and it takes a lot more effort than it should sometimes to add dependencies. Projects are not auto-built, so compilation issues might occur when you run a build you had no idea were present, wasting time. I use Spring, and it constantly raises the 'not used' warning around controller methods and autowired fields, which is annoying.,7,Less boilerplate code Project hierarchies are already implemented.,Eclipse
IntelliJ IDEA

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews

IntelliJ IDEA
Filter 82 vetted IntelliJ IDEA reviews and ratings
Dinesh Pabbi profile photo
September 17, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "A Professional Software Development tool that comes at a Price"

What I like about This IDE:
2. Version control
3. HTML, CSS, and Javascript editor is just awesome.
4. This IDE is very quick, I mean I have not seen any other IDE being this fast. I have used Eclipse and that IDE is not close to this IDE in terms of performance.

What I don't like:

• It made development in javascript a breeze. Auto-completion was on point and more importantly, the auto-completion was based on DOM model and browser. This allowed me to complete the code so much faster than I ever could before. I completed the Javascript part of my university technical fest website in 4 days!
  • It has built in support for version control, so whenever you feel like you need to backtrack to a previous state or version of website you saved , you can easily do it! This has saved me several times when code broke or when i could not figure out the problem in code so I just backtracked and re-did everything again.
  • The plugin support is really great . First of all it has plethora of plugins . Since I am trying to learn Scala, I installed the Scala plugin and I was good to go. It never felt like this IDE was not made for it.
  • The console that comes with the IDE is somewhat laggy.
  • Of course , this IDE is a memory hog as I mentioned earlier, but i think for all the features it provides it is worth it.
  • There were some minor bugs (Only happened once!) which lead to disappearance of my code entirely . But when I restarted it all came back to normal.
Due to its cost, I believe it is best suited for enterprise since its subscription model is really costly at 199$ per year. I got it on a students' subscription but again, this is a very professional IDE and if you want to use it only for web, I believe it would be going over the top since for simple web development there are cheaper alternatives. But if you are a java and a web developer and can afford it, go for it!
Read Dinesh Pabbi's full review
James Pautz II profile photo
December 02, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "The best Java IDE"

• The UI is clean, has an excellent built-in dark theme, and is customize-able. I was able to easily switch the keyboard shortcuts to Eclipse's shortcuts, making the switch to IDEA seamless.
  • The code-completion is fast and intuitive
  • Code validation is very helpful
  • It is slow to initially load
  • It uses a fair bit of memory
If you are writing Java in almost any context, it is a worthwhile IDE. I'm mostly doing scripting with Java and it works great.

I don't think it is the best GUI for source control. I find its Subversion implementation clunky at best. I haven't used the Git integration, but I can't imaging it being much different.
Read James Pautz II's full review
Ilya Popovich profile photo
December 10, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "Great IDE for everyone"

• Clean, customizable UI.
  • Code refactoring is easier than ever.
  • VSC is supported out of the box.
  • It works with many languages.
  • High pricing.
  • RAM greedy.
  • Learning curve for newbies is very steep.
Definitely I'll recommend IDEA IntelliJ for anyone, it's IDE standard for now. Even if you don't have the money for a subscription, you can try the Community Edition to find out all the pros of using IDEA.
Read Ilya Popovich's full review
Mariano Garcia profile photo
September 19, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "A Wonderful World for Programmers and Developers, watch out for nightmares"

• The immense quality of its graphical and user interface.
  • It allows adding plug-ins or cookies, among other extensions which can be downloaded directly from the same IDE.
  • It offers a pleasant UI with a variety of options that can be adjusted.
  • Having to add a lot of options and modifications that seem endless
  • It becomes cumbersome and annoying to have updates/changes occurring all the time, which does not allow one to become familiar with the software.
Suitable for creating project, whether in Windows or Linux. Since it is well associated with Open Source, its concept of depth gives it a wide field like native apps.
Read Mariano Garcia's full review
Gautum Suresh profile photo
August 09, 2018

"IntelliJ IDEA Review"

• Its smart package import is massively helpful. Simplifies the coding process
  • Creating a project is very simple and you can get started very quickly and spend more time developing.
  • Large plugin ecosystem make it so IntelliJ can be even more functional beyond what it ships as.
  • IntelliJ has confusing menus and it takes a lot more effort than it should sometimes to add dependencies.
  • Projects are not auto-built, so compilation issues might occur when you run a build you had no idea were present, wasting time.
  • I use Spring, and it constantly raises the 'not used' warning around controller methods and autowired fields, which is annoying.
It is a very smart Java IDE that I enjoy using, and would recommend it as the go-to program to develop Java applications.
Read Gautum Suresh's full review
November 30, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "IntelliJ supports a wide range of technology"

Enterprise Java is used heavily in our technology stack, IntelliJ provides strong support and tools for developing Java applications. It is being used widely across the organization. It allows one application to be used for multiple coding languages, stacks - and a wide variety of technology support - essentially being a very capable all-in-one IDE that allows development across all stacks.
  • Allows strong support for Web/Javascript and PHP-based applications, as well as Java-based applications, among many other modern and popular technologies
  • Plugin support is strong, extending the capability of the application.
  • Customization of the IDE to the requirements of the project or the engineers, designer, or developers preferences
  • REST client and API-development tools could use some improvements. Currently, there are other tools that do a better job helping to develop rest APIs
  • In some cases, the IDE can become slow, or use a lot or system resources, mostly from running processes, but IntelliJ does not have an easy way to monitor in the IDE.
IntelliJ is well suited for Java development. It is also well suited for Typescript/Javascript and PHP projects, including Angular, React, or other front-end technologies.

IntelliJ is less appropriate for database modeling and is also less suited for REST service design.
August 02, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "Intellij is the best IDE out there"

IntelliJ IDEA is currently being used across the team . It helps us code efficiently as its easy to track project structures, go back to originating classes and modules to understand a project better. I personally like using this IDE to modify existing project code, as tracking of referenced objects and classes is helpful.
  • Helps find repetitive blocks of code.
  • Very good for refactoring code.
  • Easy to catch errors before compiling code, this saves time.
  • CPU intensive to run on the computer especially as project gets bigger.
  • May require a bit of reading to learn how to use the tool efficiently.
  • Could be a bit more user friendly, the tips sections do help though.
IntelliJ IDEA recently helped me in refactoring an old code base. Its code duplication and referenced object features helped immensely in understanding the project and helped me write code more efficiently. Most of the IDE features require learning a lot of keyboard shortcuts if you want to save time, but this is a steep learning slope as memorizing them takes time. In the end, you only use features for which you remember keyboard shortcuts.
July 21, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "A Trustworthy IDE that Won’t Let you Down"

IntelliJ was the main IDE of choice for our development team. Primarily focused on Scala development, but also for web development. It allows the team to easily focus on their code and not waste time fiddling with plugins/configurations for 2 hours or more throughout the day.
  • Excellent Scala IDE
  • Excellent developer tools (console, REST API tester, etc)
  • Great ecosystem for plugins
  • Works with many languages - great for a polyglot or full stack scenario
  • Since the IDE is written on the JVM - it has all the inherent issues with UIs built on Swing that run in the JVM. Memory bloat and slowness. These items are addressed occasionally, but as of late they seem to be creeping up.
  • The web based development tools are almost impossible to use anymore - something is going on when editing HTML that just brings my system to its knees.
  • Seems like there are constant updates. This can be good - but also distracting. I’ve had a number of upgrades that I had to back out due to regressions or other issues
Great Java and Scala IDE. Good for polyglot. But for web, you’re better off using another solution.
August 29, 2018

Review: "IntelliJ IDEA the best IDE for Java development"

IntelliJ IDEA is used by some departments in my organization for the development of Java-based applications. It is an IDE that is basically universal in terms of developing applications using the mainstream technologies and it really provides full debugging, easy to remember shortcuts and great suggestions for making development more efficient and effective.
  • It provides great debugging features for most applications that can support features such as watching and manipulating objects while the code is running
  • It fully supports the development of Android applications; minimal setup is required for getting the IDE up and ready
  • A great strength is the ability to change the project folder structures based on preferences, for instance, you could change the structure from viewing by the program's packages rather than it's project files
  • It would make life a bit easier if the IDE allowed the development of .Net applications out of the box. One would have to download plugins for this to work however this is not a show stopper as there are numerous plugins that can assists
If one wants to develop applications using the Java or even the Kotlin language, IntelliJ IDEA is well suited for this. It shines in its suggestion tips, marvelous debugging features, and ability to easily create unit tests right out of the box. It comes fully integrated with Gradle, therefore, dependencies can be easily managed.

Don't use this if you want to do .Net development because a lot of plugins would have to be added to the IDE to fully support all the features that one would need. However, it can be done regardless with a little effort.
Janaka Bandara profile photo
May 15, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "The Love of My Dev Life"

IDEA has been our IDE of choice for as long as we can remember. We are quite satisfied with its advanced features, add-on driven extensibility, user-friendliness, and robustness. While the Community Edition has great support for most of our work, the Ultimate's license is definitely worth the price has given the plethora of additional features that it unlocks.
  • Seamless VCS integration: we use both Git and Mercurial, without ever having to resort to command-line tools
  • Built-in support for multiple languages and file formats, complete with syntax coloring, auto-format, and suggestions
  • Built-in Java class decompilation feature for quick peeks into third-party library sources
  • Rich extensibility via plugins, both built-in and third party
  • Support for JavaScript in Community Edition: understandably this is a strategical decision, but still, it would have been awesome if Community had JavaScript!
  • Indexing can sometimes hinder development progress, especially in large projects
I really cannot think of a scenario where IntelliJ IDEA is not appropriate or is less appropriate! Whether it is your pet project or a full-blown enterprise development, IDEA will do its part, gracefully and beautifully. Throw in a few plugins (Python, Go etc.) and you have all your non-Java projects covered as well.
Read Janaka Bandara's full review
Андрей Жеребцов profile photo
March 23, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "I like using IntelliJ as my primary IDE for JAVA Development"

In addition to the main work, I am a freelancer developer of Java. I write backend code for different clients and IntelliJ IDEA has helped me to do it faster and much easier. I also try to constantly learn something new and improve my programming skills, all this I also do in this IDE.
  • My opinion is that it is the most convenient and powerful IDE of all. I think so since I worked for a while with many other IDEs.
  • The program is available on many platforms, so for me, it's not a problem to start a project on your Mac, and then finish it at home on a Windows desktop.
  • Clear and customizable user interface. I set it up as convenient for me, I saved the "look" and can easily apply it when I need it.
  • The most important plus is the shortcut keys, sometimes I play the keyboard as a piano.
  • Its automatic completion of code is just the best the developers could do. It seems to be reading my thoughts and can finish the code for me.
  • Very fond of RAM. IntelliJ is like Chrome among the IDE.
  • Too many functions and options make it difficult to use it effectively, it takes time to get used to it. I mean that it will be quite difficult for a beginner to start working with the program.
  • For comfortable work, you need a powerful computer. On my MacBook Air is not very comfortable to work with.
IntelliJ IDE is well suited for creative projects in Ruby, Java, AspectJ, HTML, and CSS. Personally, I use Java only for Java projects. It makes my job easier. It is very good that I quickly understood that IntelliJ IDEA is one of the best IDEs and definitely did not change it for anything else.
Read Андрей Жеребцов's full review
May 09, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "One IDE to rule them all"

IntelliJ IDEA is Jetbrain's product for Java development work. This IDE is used in our product development department as the IDE of choice for back-end development work that is mainly done in Apex (a subset of Java language proprietary of Salesforce). IntelliJ IDEA comes with Illuminated Cloud plugin that we use to deploy our code to Salesforce development orgs. This IDE offers full feature support for multiple frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger, and auto-linter.
  • If I have to select a single IDE to use for multiple languages and frameworks, I'll go with IntelliJ IDE.
  • The IDE offers quick and easy IntelliSense that is superior in most cases to Eclipse.
  • Comes with out of the box support for Version control systems like Git. The built-in Terminal debugger comes in handy as well.
  • The IDE is a resource hog and takes a long time initializing after startup to index all the code files.
  • The IDE can randomly crash sometimes and code search hangs if selecting large directories to scan.
  • If you don't have the community edition then the pricing for the product can be fairly expensive.
The IDE is ideal for Java related development work. However, if you want to maintain only a single IDE in your arsenal IntelliJ IDEA will do a great job. Since at our company we do most of our development atop the Salesforce platform we need to use the Illuminated Cloud plugin to integrate into the IDE. Since this tool is fairly resourced intensive, many developers might just be better off going with Visual Studio code for some lightweight work.
April 13, 2018

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "Gold Standard for Java IDEs"

IntelliJ IDEA is a full-featured integrated development environment (IDE) for development of Java and Groovy applications. As there is no mandatory IDE for developers in the organisation, it is usually chosen for personal use by developers. It increases productivity in development by supporting many different build systems, language-specific plugins, auto-completion for class names and static error analysis for written code.
  • Fast and comprehensive auto-completion for class names and variable names; best static code analysis engine by far
  • Interface is more responsive than competing IDEs such as NetBeans or Eclipse
  • Features like "go to definition" and "go to implementation" on class members help cut down on lead time when contributing to existing projects
  • Current version (2018.1) has some hiccups in the UI in the Linux distribution - menus floating where they're not supposed to
  • User interface is less sluggish than competitors but still has some room for improvement where speed and responsiveness is concerned
IntelliJ IDEA is, in my opinion, the gold standard for Java development. I would recommend it for medium-to-large Java projects, in medium-to-large teams, where its code analysis features help with understanding the codebase and more productive collaboration. The enterprise version of IntelliJ IDEA is required for Java EE applications, and it is fairly pricey. However, if Java applications are your organisation's bread and butter, IDEA is still positioned as a worthwhile investment.
May 18, 2018

User Review: "IntelliJ IDEA is awesome!"

IntelliJ IDEA is used as an Integrated Development Environment. It is being used across the whole organization. It is very helpful for software developers to develop software efficiently.
  • There is a vast number of integrated plugins that make them more efficient compared to other IDEs.
  • Built-in integrations with Version Control Systems such as Tortoise SVN and GIT helps software developers to avoid the integration chaos with the project repositories.
  • The shortcuts are not the same as other IDEs, which made it difficult during transformation from other IDEs to IntelliJ IDEA. It would have been very helpful if the shortcuts are as same as Eclipse IDE. Because Eclipse was a widely used IDE and many people transform from Eclipse to IntelliJ and in the initial days, they find it difficult to learn/remember the new shortcuts.
It is well-suited for dynamic software development that involves many libraries/plugins integrations with the workspace. Also well-suited in places where the code repository is maintained by a version control.
Rahul Chaudhary profile photo
October 18, 2017

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "I love my IntelliJ"

IntelliJ is used across my organization to obviously deliver better code. Developers are free to choose between different editors, but I have mostly seen IntelliJ at work. IntelliJ is for Java, as most people would already know, and if your project is Java, and specially spring based, then this editor is the best in my opinion.
  • It is compatible with the newest Java.
  • It is compatible with Java frameworks such as Spring, and Maven.
  • It supports version control.
  • It is very stylistic, and it feels good to code in it.
  • It has good syntax highlighting, lots of customization, useful commands to enhance your workflow.
  • It has lower CPU consumption. I keep 3-5 projects open at a time, and there is no lag.
  • IntelliJ has terminal inbuilt, which I like, but it does not have a scroll lockdown i.e. if you are tailing some files which are actively receiving new data, then the cursor will keep on focusing on that new data.
  • Why is it so damn costly!!!
  • Terminal, and editor are not linked together. E.g. I run `git pull` command on the intelliJ terminal, but the view does not update automatically based on file system changes.
  • Version control view is hard to understand. Or maybe its just me.
There are many editors out there, and the most popular ones are free of course, so why make this investment? I used to like Atom editor a lot, but you have to install a whole ton of software to make it work the way you want it to. IntelliJ, on the other hand, is customized to meet most needs. There are linters, code checks, terminal, etc all built in. Working with intelliJ has taught me to write even better code. The "code inspection" tool finds even the slightest mistake like spellings in your code, and I tend to fix them, making my code base better every day. IntelliJ simply amazes me in how much better I have become.

But despite lots of benefits, IntelliJ is costly. Its major competitor, Eclipse, does all of these, for free! But IntelliJ in IMHO is easier to work with. Better style, better code inspection, etc, etc makes the price worth it. If you are worried about price, Eclipse as I said, works equally good, with most of benefits provided, if not all.
Read Rahul Chaudhary's full review
December 01, 2017

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "Develop with pleasure - it's true!"

We have used IntelliJ IDEA since its early version back in 2000. We develop enterprise applications using Java, Scala & Javascript & HTML with build support from Maven and Gradle.

Code refactoring has always been the stand out feature of IDEA, it allows the developer to quickly change the structure of the code without pulling you out the 'zone'. Daily use brings a familiarity that allows you to do so much without thinking, coding with IDEA quickly becomes second nature.

For TDD , the failing test, passing test, refactor lifecycle becomes so easy to do.
  • Great language support. You can develop full stack solutions using Java, Scala, Javascript and much more all from within a single IDE.
  • Excellent refactoring functionality. It is aware of the syntax/layout requirements of each supported language and manages all this for you.
  • Excellent test framework support. It's easy to write tests, run them and get instant feedback.
  • Highly customisable. Need to tweak the compiler settings? Maven settings? No problem, IntelliJ IDEA lets you configure just about anything.
  • Good plugin support from the community. There's a bunch of decent plugins available from the community for those rare cases where IDEA doesn't have anything built in.
  • IDEA has grown into a huge product - it supports so many languages and does so much. The downside to this is that it can be a bit daunting for new users as there is so much to learn.
  • Refactoring in Javascript can sometimes be a bit hit or miss. It's fine for simple projects but for large, multi-file apps it is sometimes not aware of all the usages of a particular file or variable.
It's great for developing large, complex full stack applications as it supports so many different frameworks and languages. It will integrate with other JetBrains products like TeamCity to give you instant feedback about your builds. It is less useful if you just want to write some scripts or quickly edit some files.
Kevan Dunsmore profile photo
June 08, 2017

IntelliJ IDEA Review: "IntelliJent Software Development"

We use IntelliJ IDEA as our primary IDE for software development. We use it to develop Java, Scala, Python, Ruby, Node.js and front end Javascript code for our entire platform. As part of that development, we write unit tests, integration tests and end-to-end tests for our software. Intellij IDEA is used by all development groups.
  • Smart code development - completion and suggestions are a strong point.
  • Code presentation - folding and highlighting make reading code easy.
  • Tool integration - Download extension plugins for any type of file you want to edit.
  • Source control integration - Use any source control system you like. We use Git and the integration is super simple.
  • IntelliJ IDEA is a *big* product - the learning curve is very steep. I've been using it for years now, so it doesn't affect me too much anymore but developers new to it often get overwhelmed. Perhaps limiting the options, in a similar way to the separate IDE products (RubyMine, PyCharm, etc) would help streamline and reduce the curve.
  • The plugin system is rich but very difficult to navigate and find plugins that might be useful.
I use it for pretty much everything, from Java development to scripting. However, some of the developers will use it only for larger development tasks and wouldn't use it for, say, bash scripting, where they feel it is somewhat heavyweight for a task like that.
Read Kevan Dunsmore's full review