WebStorm

WebStorm Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Sagiv Frankel | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have a personal affinity to Jetbrain products. I've tried other IDE's but always find myself being far more productive when using Jetbrain products in general and Webstorm in particular. It helps developers [be more productive without changing] experiences and the general setup between development environments (web, .net, Java, python etc...). It also comes out of the box with a clear set [of] good configurations and abilities without having to add [...] many plugins or info. Webstorm has been around for years and perfected [its] integration with the JavaScript ecosystem (web + node).
  • Keeping up with new tools / language changes / web frameworks
  • Fast and efficient
  • Awesome git support and diffing
  • Debugging is awesome
  • Great JavaScript support (Web + NodeJS)
  • Sync configurations via your account
  • Git graph and rebase are hard to manage (look at GitKraken for a good improvement on that)
  • Favorites and bookmarks could be more useful (You can't create directories for bookmarks and favorites are on files)
Groups that use a [variety] of development environments (.net, python, web), Jebrain's products and Webstorm, in particular, are a great choice for productivity. If your developers are accustom to another IDE it might be better for all to sync on the same one. I wouldn't take the cost aspect as a consideration. A productive developer is far more important.
April 15, 2021

WebStorm, what else?

In the IT and R&D department of our company, for IDE selection, we use Eclipse for Java/J2EE application development, PyCharm/Spyder for Python application development, and we equip our front-end developers with the WebStorm for our modern SPA development. We use node.js to implement server side service, as it is java script based, we also use WebStorm as the standard JS IDE. Karma + Mocha are our standard testing framework for our SPA, which is seamlessly integrated into the WebStorm already
  • As the product of the JetBean, the UI is very familiar as the famous IntelliJ
  • I don't see any other JS IDE can be compared with WebStrom, from the feature richness + plug-in + community support
  • The JS static code scanning out of the box is very handy
  • Auto fix is also very productive feature to mention
  • It by default has well integration with Angular, TypeScript, Vue, React
  • Didn't find any apparent issue overall, except sometimes the WebStorm is running too many default validation check in the backend and response is slow, typically when we keep WebStorm running for some time, and if we restart the WebStorm it will take long time to be "warm up", perhaps, some JetBean team can consider some performance improvement
For any Javascript/Typescript based development, WebStorm is the best choice
We are using WebStorm for the last 4 years for frontend development. We all are using it and it saves more time to do coding.
  • Auto suggestion
  • Package installation is good
  • UI is easy to manage
  • Version control
  • syntax and all default formatting
  • You need more memory to use
  • No other cons I found on this. All good
When we are using frontend development then it was used very well. It has suggested better suits for code and time also saved on this due to error indication and all.

Really useful in any scenarios.
WebStorm is used by myself and a few other software teammates at our organization. We use this IDE on our front-end React-JS code. WebStorm allows my teammates and myself to use the same tools and IDE so that we can easily help each other when problem solving or viewing code.
  • Vast library of tools.
  • Large source of plugins.
  • Customizable interface and beautiful UI.
  • WebStorm is on the pricier side for IDE's.
  • WebStorm takes a little bit of time to boot up.
  • Takes up a good chunk of computer processor.
WebStorm is well suited for coders at any level. It has the same UI and feel as other JetBrains products, which is much appreciated. Working on front-end code with WebStorm makes my job a lot easier. The many plugins make my coding experience customizable and enjoyable. One scenario where WebStorm is less appropriate is the the number of web frameworks it can deal with. More current frameworks are barely supported.
I use WebStorm to develop AngularJS and Angular applications. It is not a department-wide standard, but I made the case to purchase my own license based on my experience with other JetBrains products, and it's a key part of my development process.
  • Built in support for multiple technologies.
  • Excellent debugger.
  • Lots of plugins.
  • Speed and responsiveness.
  • Every now and then the indexer takes over and slows things down.
When using TypeScript, or any of the major JavaScript frameworks, especially with large code bases. The code navigation works really well.
They update about monthly with patches and add new features quarterly. They are regularly working to improve performance.
Sarah Ciras Rousseau | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use IntelliJ WebStorm in my Computer Science classes as the IDE of choice for my students. They often continue to use WebStorm clients long after graduation. WebStorm has a huge amount of features that help make it accessible and entirely useful for programmers of all ability levels. I have had students use it to create interactive projects or to just test out ideas.
  • Includes a built in spell checker to eliminate time wasted searching for small mistakes.
  • Provides a drop down menu of options complete with keyboard shortcuts that allow for streamlined programming.
  • Identifies when variables are named differently, allowing for cohesive work without the scrolling.
  • Changing the text size and color can be difficult to navigate.
  • The organization of the left side bar is not entirely intuitive.
  • Could always benefit from more accessibility features.
WebStorm is a great product for programming and development. It has all the capabilities needed for education, as well as for professional deployment. I use it in the classroom with my students, who benefit from the comprehensive drop down menus and the integrated spell check. It also has a clean user interface that allows for customization.
The folks over at WebStorm have always been incredibly responsive to my inquiries, allowing me to make the most of their products. I have also used their other IDEs and have been pleased with them as well. They have been open to questions and have made allowances for varying usage of the product.
Tim Hardy | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use WebStorm to develop our Single Page Application (SPA) projects, particular Angular projects. We also use it for any NodeJs projects. WebStorm is perfect for any Javascript project. It is a AAA IDE with support for all major frameworks, source control systems, package managers, testing tools, and a host of plug-ins.
  • Angular development - built-in support for tslint allows your team to code to a single standard.
  • NodeJs testing - Mocha and Chai testing is a breeze for my Node unit tests.
  • Emmet support for HTML makes for speedy prototyping.
  • The file difference utilities are some of the best I've used for my Github merge conflicts. They are really focused around source control conflict scenarios instead of the "can be used for" mentality of other IDEs.
  • The popup file search sometimes frustrates me. It caps the number of results, and sometimes it isn't clear that it simply stopped looking. I also used to have trouble finding string occurrences that I knew were in my project, but I think they've made improvements in this area recently.
  • Being a AAA IDE, WebStorm can be a memory hog. If I don't kill it every few days, it can get really slow. I would love to see performance improvements.
  • Speaking of performance, WebStorm can take a long time to launch. I'd like to see improvements in launch times.
WebStorm is perfect for any Javascript project. It is particularly good for Angular projects. We used to use Visual Studio Code for our Angular projects, but after trying out the free trial of WebStorm, I've converted and never looked back. I bought a personal subscription, and I got a few colleagues to join me. Now, we berate our Visual Studio Code coworkers who don't honor the default Angular tslint rules. "Stop screwing up our code and code to the standard!" It takes them some effort to see all the "red squigglies" that the default Angular tslint provides. The only projects I don't use WebStorm for are .Net projects. I still prefer some form of Visual Studio for those.
The community behind WebStorm is sufficient to solve most every problem I've encountered. Speaking with JetBrains directly has been less productive. They're alright, but they are slow to develop feature suggestions or address issues that a ton of the people in the community have submitted.
Hayk Baghdasaryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
This product is the main IDE used by the entire organization on different projects. It is used in nearly every phase of our software development.
  • Rich features.
  • Reliability.
  • Resource heavy.
  • UX is a bit complicated.
It is well suited for any kind of web development and has very good integrated testing tools. It's very easy to perform code analysis and refactor using refactoring tools. Version Control GUI is another feature that is done very well in this product. The merging window comes in handy when merge conflicts happen. If you're a startup or a small company that can't afford a good hardware, or software license, it might be less appropriate to use WebStorm, because it is pricey and resource-heavy.
I gave this rating because I have never needed their customer support, which is the highest level of support I suppose. When a product works just fine out of the box and everything you may need is well documented, it's a paradise for the customer. But I've seen some questions asked on their portal, and I've seen thorough answers given to the questions and the willingness to support the customer with follow-ups and everything else.
Drew Clauson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, we are using this in our development department. It really increases our development time with its integration with all of the services that we use, from code control to build processes. We use it for the development of internal and client-facing sites and files, and it works well with every environment that we throw at it. It helps us all to be on the same page by using the same IDE but is customizable enough for user preferences so each developer still has their own workspace.
  • Source control integration - supports all major source control systems.
  • User customization - users can set up the IDE to meet their own style and needs.
  • Code completion - does a great job at auto-completing code!
  • Company response to requested features sometimes lags behind a little.
IntelliJ WebStorm is well suited towards web development of all kinds, but its sister products are probably slightly better for development of web sites based in Java/PHP/etc, although plugins may be able to achieve this in WebStorm. It's not as well suited to command line or compiled program scenarios - those are better to use JetBrain's other products, which are very similar.
Great support through JetBrain's site and ticketing system, but sometimes requested features take quite a while to be implemented.
Igal Fleishman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a small startup with five people. We had several developers, however, I'm the only one using it. I'm using the IDE for frontend/backend web apps development.
  • Find code
  • Refactoring (rename file/variables/functions)
  • Visual differences
  • Merge and auto-merge non-conflicting code
  • Concurrent multi-project support. Always some issues with that. Now the issue is that it's difficult to use the keyboard to focus on the current IDE window because the focus goes to other project windows
  • For the longest time, there was an issue with the "Find in Path" dialog which didn't or couldn't be closed properly/easily
  • Sometimes WebStorm reaches a point where it cannot find symbols. After restart and/or project reopen, it can
  • Sometimes it becomes really slow and shows the macOS spinner. Then it needs to restart before working
  • Restart takes a long time, especially when having several JS web apps project windows open. On my 2017 Macbook Pro it takes half a minute or so until it settles after starting
Web apps development is a good use case, though there are too many speed and stability issues, almost to the point of having it be more worthwhile for developers to use Visual Studio Code.
Reps are responsive, that's a big positive. On the other hand, the system and process used aren't friendly and simple enough. Log collection needs to be automated to save developers time interacting with the support team. Automatically submitting issues might address it.
December 04, 2019

Simple and Smart IDE

IntelliJ WebStorm is used as an integrated workbench to work on javascript projects both on client-side and server-side applications. It used as per the developer's interest in IDE. It's being used to develop health-care related applications.
  • Custom find functionality for a particular text in directory.
  • Git integration feature is very handy.
  • Smart auto completion of the code.
  • Typescript support.
  • Pattern matching text feature integration.
  • Ability to work on multiple projects with multiple windows of application opened.
  • Nice UI.
  • It can do a lot with providing coding insights improving the developer to find the mistakes using automation features.
  • IDE becomes slow when we are working on projects with large number of files.
  • Integration of more themes.
  • Ability to install more plugins which will help developer to workbench customize as per their needs.
IntelliJ WebStorm well suited for javascript projects, especially when there are a lot of files to work. Easy to debug and integrate with databases like MySQL.
It's a great IDE to work with, have a pleasant experience, and helps me to finish my task in a smart and timely way.
IntelliJ WebStorm is our standard IDE for developing web applications with JavaScript, TypeScript, JSON, HTML, CSS. We use it with a variety of frameworks such as React, Vue, Angular. Developers enjoy working with it for its great support for development, refactoring, autocompletion and a rich system of plugins that provide rich functionality, such as editing Markdown, AsciiDoc, YAML files and similar.
  • Developing JavaScript.
  • Developing HTML, CSS.
  • Provide plugins with various additional functionality.
  • Frequent updates with enhancements.
  • Slower start than competitors.
  • Slows down for large codebases.
  • Onboarding new users require time for education.
IntelliJ WebStorm is well suited for:

• Developing JavaScript, TypeScript applications, understanding and debugging code.
  • Work with a variety of web frameworks Angular, React, Vue.
  • Good support for HTML and CSS.
  • A rich ecosystem of community provided plugins expands the use to a variety of software development tasks.
IntelliJ WebStorm is not well suited for:
  • Non-JavaScript programming languages.
  • Editing files where quick startup time is required.
  • The support is very responsive and reacts not only quickly, but with great expertise. The support clearly cares a lot about the customers and employs knowledgeable engineers.
  • Products are well documented and besides the official documentation, there is a large body of community published materials.
  • All interactions with the company reflect the care for the customers.
Anthony Aziz | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our entire dev team uses WebStorm as our primary IDE for Angular and AngularJS development. We develop an online, web-based service with a backend web API fronted by a large Angular/AngularJS application. We adopted WebStorm as a fully functional IDE after using more simple text editors previously, and this has improved developer productivity and product quality.
  • Provides a smooth, efficient IDE for developing web applications. Performance is on par with other JetBrains products and doesn't impede productivity.
  • Integrated refactoring and other language tools are comprehensive and useful. WebStorm does a good job of putting together the mess that Javascript can make, usually.
  • Integrates with other JetBrains products, such as TeamCity, Upsource, etc.
  • Great git integration and UI.
  • When dealing with legacy Javascript/Typescript code, refactoring can be dangerous. eg. changing variable names across the entire project rather than just local scope.
  • Versioning can be a bit of a nightmare. There is an official updater, but they tend to leave old versions hanging around, and I have found myself accidentally using a previously installed version without intending to.
WebStorm is a comprehensive web IDE that will be especially comfortable for anyone familiar with other JetBrains products, such as IntelliJ or Rider. It offers an environment for developing larger and more mature web applications, and promotes good design via refactoring, suggestions, and built-in support for many frameworks. WebStorm works on a project basis, so it is not as convenient for editing one-off scripts, though.
Our development team is utilizing IntelliJ WebStorm along with the other applications in the Jetbrains Toolbox. Typically, we use it when we are developing front-end libraries, such as Node.js modules, or other Javascript libraries and applications, all the way through to complete websites in some cases. We move over to PhpStorm or another tool if we need a server-side dynamic language, however.
  • The coding assistance provided by WebStorm is the best around. It facilitates very rapid development without having to hunt through documentation all day.
  • The breadth and depth of plugins, both from JetBrains and from the community, is incredible. There are plugins to do practically anything.
  • It's cross-platform, and using the JetBrains Toolbox makes it so it can auto-update seamlessly without me needing to worry about it.
  • The amount of languages and types of projects it can support is pretty staggering.
  • WebStorm can be slow to start up, particularly if it has to reindex the site, it can end up slowing my entire computer down for a little while. This is compounded with having a lot of plugins active.
  • WebStorm can be very resource-intensive. It will happily eat up as much memory as you give it, at least to a point. This is fine if you have a beefy development system, but if you don't have a lot of memory or other resources available, WebStorm can sometimes run quite slowly.
  • Once in a while, using "Find in files" doesn't find certain text strings that do exist within project files. It's pretty rare, but it has caused a hassle a couple of times.
If you're developing front-end web applications or JavaScript libraries, I think using WebStorm is a no-brainer. The only time I would not use WebStorm for something like that is if I have a reason to move over to PhpStorm, or the full JetBrains IDEA Ultimate. But even in those cases, I'm using the functionality from WebStorm as plugins in the other JetBrains IDEs. I don't think there is any better option for an IDE for front-end development.
Dhruba Jyoti Nag | TrustRadius Reviewer
In the current organization, WebStorm is used by folks who are into web development. It is mainly used by web developers who need the enterprise features that WebStorm offers like quick code generation, debugging, and easy integration to version control like Git. It is primarily used by people who are into development of new javascript frameworks.
  • Webstorm is suitable for development in new JS frameworks like Angular and reacts with drastic improvement in recent years.
  • It helps in the seamless debugging of test websites.
  • Integration with Git is a breeze. A Git rebase is made so simple and trivial by the integrated merge tool.
  • As with many more Intellij products, it is a memory hog. It is very resource intensive process.
  • Being a simple JS editor , it has a very high cost. So there will not be a big adoption especially when there are competing open source products offering at per functionality.
  • The code completion can be a little improved.
Client-side debugging can be easily done from within WebStorm. It can be used to write code in Angular, React and other different Javascript frameworks. The git integration is excellent. The git rebase operation is supported by a robust merge tool. WebStorm being an enterprise product has a cost and it can be optimized to be a little lightweight and fast.
Dave Otis | TrustRadius Reviewer
Here in my organization, we use IntelliJ to deploy internal and external front-end web applications using Angular. We use this software across all of or web developers and we really love it. WebStorm helps users to create faster and more efficient code and the fact that ReSharper is integrated in this software is just amazing.
  • Integrates with ReSharper.
  • Cross-platform.
  • Quick to set up.
  • They know what we want as programmers.
  • CPU Consumer.
  • Expensive.
  • This software is proprietary and cannot be modified.
IntelliJ WEbstorm is suited to develop our front-end web application, but this product is not really appropriate to develop our back-end application.
heather collins | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company adopted the use of IntelliJ Webstorm roughly three years ago. As our web apps transitioned from the older style Java, JSP based architecture to more Reactive and Javascript style we felt the need to use an IDE that would provide our greatest support in that direction. Webstorm is used in our software development department as the IDE of choice for web and front-end development. Most of our front-end development is done in Angular and Vue.
  • This IDE offers full support for JS frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter.
  • No additional plugins are required to work with frameworks such as React, Stencil and AngularJS
  • Docker integration plugin is another great feature that we use regularly in our department.
  • It would be ideal if the IDE was made free of cost like Visual Studio Code from Microsoft. That would really boost its adoption by developers.
  • We've run into issues with using Karma debugging for our test execution framework.
  • The product can be heavy in terms of resource consumption.
Like its name suggests, the IDE is ideally suited for front-end web development work. It comes with native support for typescript language. We've managed to have remote debugging enabled for our applications by using different plugins and it has sped up the development work considerably.
December 05, 2017

I love my IntelliJ <3

Rahul Chaudhary | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IntelliJ Webstorm as the primary development editor for our development purposes. We mainly code in NodeJS and Angular and this was a perfect fit for JavaScript editor. We initially tried many other editors such as Atom, Eclipse, but none of them were giving us the full experience we wanted. Purchasing WebStorm was the best decision we took, because since then we have all the tools we need in one place. We use WebStorm as an editor, debugger, version control, database views, terminal, code-beautifier, linter, and what not.
  • This is the only editor in my opinion which gives you the full development experience if you want to code in JavaScript.
  • WebStorm supports many different linters including "standards". This has been such a blessing for our team. All our PRs look perfect now.
  • WebStorm is very good in design. I love coding in it.
  • It has terminal built right into it. I know many other editors also provide this, but I really like how seamlessly the terminal works out of the box.
  • Most of the plugins you will ever need is already installed right off the box. I haven't installed anything new so far.
  • The rename/reformat functions are very intelligent. I feel very confident renaming something new.
  • There is a "validation" inspector which reports anything as small as spellings. This helps us keep our codebase very-very clean.
  • The auto-complete feature is the worst/weakest thing about WebStorm. It definitely works very much like other editors (not bad when compared to other editors), but I expected more intelligence.
  • It does not natively supports many frameworks (like mocha if I remember correctly), which is okay because obviously they cannot support everything, and you have the option to install the library-support. But the auto-complete/function-definition is very bad. The library-support only adds method calls from the "TypeScript" version. E.g. if a method abc() is defined in a library, but the typescript version that WebStorm downloaded does not have that method, it shows a warning. I would like WebStorm to scan my node_modules and use method-signatures from there instead of typescript signatures.
  • The profile exporter will only export language settings. However I would like WebStorm to also export other settings such as right-margin length and any other setting that I might change. In-fact I would like the profile to be version-controlled locally so that I can keep track of what changes I made over the time period.
Well suited for:
1. Full featured development environment.
2. Cutting edge support for latest frameworks.
3. An out of box program which just works.

Not well suited for:
1. There is no "free" version of this editor. You have to pay yearly fee, but that is very cheap in my opinion.
2. Look for different editors for different languages. This works best for NodeJS and frontend stuff.
3. Small startup companies. I have heard the prices are very high per developer which small companies cannot afford. But I am sure if you just talk to the support team, they can give you a discount.
Tristin Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use IntelliJ WebStorm in our web development department for its wonderful support for Vue.js.
  • Vue.js is our primary use of WebStorm. It provides excellent IntelliSense and framework support for our primary architecture.
  • Our secondary use for WebStorm is for JQuery based applications.
  • WebStorm is a bit heavy. At any given point it needs between 700 MB and 800 MB to function efficiently.
  • At time, the IDE may go a little haywire and require a restart to function properly again.
  • Better framework documentation in the editor would be a welcomed addition.
If you need one of the supported framework's support in your editor then IntelliJ WebStorm is an excellent editor. It will "save you from yourself" in many areas and ease the learning curve for many frameworks.
Foster Haines | TrustRadius Reviewer
WebStorm is being used in my team as we are the only area of the organization that is working on Node/JS applications. WebStorm address the business problem of needing a JavaScript IDE without the overhead and significantly cheaper licensing model compared to Visual Studio. My team and I are more productive and efficient at JavaScript development as a result of using WebStorm.
  • JS intellisense
  • Easy to add plug-ins for the IDE
  • Seems to be responsive and fast in the editor and debugging mode
  • Seems to take a while to load up the IDE initially - I've seen this on both MacOS and Windows 10
WebStorm is well suited for JavaScript application development. I've enjoyed JetBrains ReSharper for VS for many years now and WebStorm takes all that familiarity and applies to it's own JavaScript IDE. While the layout differs from VS, I still feel comfortable and familiar with WebStorm.
Swapnil Pharate | TrustRadius Reviewer
It’s an individual's choice to use Webstorm for development. It’s not mandatory or imposed by any department.
  • Number of languages supported
  • Number of web frameworks supported
  • Smart editing
  • Debugging
  • Integration with other tools
  • Little slow while opening files for the first time
  • Opens new window if you open file from outside
  • Costs money
Full stack web development socially for startup where all latest web frameworks and languages are being used for development
WebStorm is a great JavaScript IDE that my team and I use when creating JavaScript-based applications. It was originally just used by me and over time has expanded to our team's developers adopting the tool to increase speed, testing, efficiency, and reduce bugs in our overall codebase. The business problems it addresses is the need for a centralized tool that our team can become familiar with and develop great applications for both internal and external use.
  • Software development
  • Code testing
  • Code folding
  • Code organization
  • Javascript development
  • Git
  • Platform support
  • Plugins and integration
WebStorm is great for JavaScript programming and development but would not be the proper tool for other types of development such as data science or iOS/android development. This tool is specific to JavaScript and really doesn't work in other development settings. It is focused on producing the best, most extensible JavaScript application.
Currently, it is not listed as a corporate application that we use internally across all departments, but I believe some departments, including ours have purchased single or multi licenses for IntelliJ WebStorm. Within our department we do custom development, support and administration of enterprise web applications to support our corporate internal services. For us, WebStorm was the most practical IDE for us to use, as it accommodated all of our needs to do custom web development. We work a lot with JavaScript (NodeJS, Archibus API), so it's extremely useful for this. As well, we use Gitlab and the built-in plugins for WebStorm allow us to do everything within the IDE, instead of using multiple apps. <br>
  • Plugins -- especially the Git integration
  • Debuggings for JavaScript, which is very customization.
  • Ability to use Flow
  • Lots of cool syntax highlighting and code styling.
  • A problem I have with a lot of IDEs is that they seem to go over-kill. Although not entirely a con, a dumbed down version of WebStorm would be useful.
  • Subscription based license
If you're doing any kind of Node development, WebStorm is an essential tool. In my experience, it's also been a valuable asset when using Angular and React. A lot of web dev IDEs do not provide much debugging for JavaScript, and this is where WebStorm just destroys other IDEs. They have the best JavaScript debugging features I've ever used.

It's hard to say that WebStorm is less appropriate for anything, as it's one of JetBrains tailored IDEs. It is literally an IDE exclusively designed for JavaScript languages (although not limited), so it plays a specific role and does this extremely well.
November 28, 2018

Review

Local File history is a blessing. Code Debugging is very smooth. Best part is auto correct options. If you write the wrong, syntax it gives you a hint of what you should use instead.
  • Integrated Version control system saves me lots of time to resolve conflicts and see different systems side by side.
  • Customisable theme options are very cool and I can work in low light as well.
  • Sometimes auto formatter creates big problems
  • It's not free. You can have the trial version for a month, but the price is little bit high.
It is very easy to adapt for any user.
May 08, 2018

A Smart IDE

IntelliJ WebStorm is used extensively at our product development department as the IDE of choice for web and front end development. IntelliJ has a great reputation for creating enterprise quality software and WebStorm is no different. At our company most of the front end development is done in AngularJS and Angular. This IDE offers full feature support for both frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter.
  • Provides full feature support for native JavaScript as well as frameworks like Angular, React, Stencil etc.
  • The IDE provides support for auto-linting which is a handy feature to have in order for teams to produce good standardized code.
  • The built in terminal is very handy if you want to deploy the code using Webpack server.
  • The IDE is fairly resource intensive. It has gotten better in the newer versions but still hogs around 500MB at minimum.
  • We've constantly had issues with using the debugger to function correctly while running our Karma tests.
  • The IDE is not free like Visual Studio Code or Eclipse and the cost can be a bit prohibitive for young startups.
The IDE is best suited for JavaScript front end development. It has good support for typescript language as well. The IDE has a wide variety of plugins or add-ons that can be installed to extend functionality although the most regularly used ones are pre-installed. If you are looking for an IDE that handles both back end and front end languages then you might want to consider VS code from Microsoft. The fact that WebStorm is not free might make it less appealing for some developers too.

What is WebStorm?