https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/dN/0A/71X42CQ3RGFC.JPEGExcellent IDE for web developmentOur company adopted the use of IntelliJ Webstorm roughly three years ago. As our web apps transitioned from the older style Java, JSP based architecture to more Reactive and Javascript style we felt the need to use an IDE that would provide our greatest support in that direction. Webstorm is used in our software development department as the IDE of choice for web and front-end development. Most of our front-end development is done in Angular and Vue.,This IDE offers full support for JS frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter. No additional plugins are required to work with frameworks such as React, Stencil and AngularJS Docker integration plugin is another great feature that we use regularly in our department.,It would be ideal if the IDE was made free of cost like Visual Studio Code from Microsoft. That would really boost its adoption by developers. We've run into issues with using Karma debugging for our test execution framework. The product can be heavy in terms of resource consumption.,7,The software developers are overall satisfied with this IDE.,IntelliJ IDEA, Eclipse, Visual Studio IDE, NetBeans and PyCharmReviewLocal File history is a blessing. Code Debugging is very smooth. Best part is auto correct options. If you write the wrong, syntax it gives you a hint of what you should use instead.,Integrated Version control system saves me lots of time to resolve conflicts and see different systems side by side. Customisable theme options are very cool and I can work in low light as well.,Sometimes auto formatter creates big problems It's not free. You can have the trial version for a month, but the price is little bit high.,8,It reduces my development time compare to other IDE. There are n numbers of tool for web development but this one is best among all.,C2 ATOM, Visual Studio IDE and IntelliJ IDEAExcellent IDE for web developmentI am a full stack developer. I used Webstorm for javascript and typescript development. Webstorm IDE gives the ability to enable tslint and jshint. I also use it to run karma tests. It is a strong tool that gives you intelligent code completion, on-the-fly error detection, powerful navigation, and refactoring.,warning for tslint errors warning for compilation error refactoring ( rename file or class with all his dependencies),Not free :(,10,Full development experience if you want to code in JavaScript/typescript,Microsoft Visual Studio Team System,PyCharmIDE for complete full stack web developmentIt’s an individual's choice to use Webstorm for development. It’s not mandatory or imposed by any department.,Number of languages supported Number of web frameworks supported Smart editing Debugging Integration with other tools,Little slow while opening files for the first time Opens new window if you open file from outside Costs money,8,Nothing special but saves time on development,PyCharm, Eclipse and Visual Studio IDE,Visual Studio IDEA Smart IDEIntelliJ WebStorm is used extensively at our product development department as the IDE of choice for web and front end development. IntelliJ has a great reputation for creating enterprise quality software and WebStorm is no different. At our company most of the front end development is done in AngularJS and Angular. This IDE offers full feature support for both frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter.,Provides full feature support for native JavaScript as well as frameworks like Angular, React, Stencil etc. The IDE provides support for auto-linting which is a handy feature to have in order for teams to produce good standardized code. The built in terminal is very handy if you want to deploy the code using Webpack server.,The IDE is fairly resource intensive. It has gotten better in the newer versions but still hogs around 500MB at minimum. We've constantly had issues with using the debugger to function correctly while running our Karma tests. The IDE is not free like Visual Studio Code or Eclipse and the cost can be a bit prohibitive for young startups.,8,At our company since we rely heavily on web applications, it was an easy choice for us to go with IntelliJ WebStorm. Our developers are really satisfied with this product and feel that their productivity has improved.,IntelliJ IDEA
IntelliJ WebStorm

IntelliJ WebStorm Reviews

IntelliJ WebStorm
Filter 41 vetted IntelliJ WebStorm reviews and ratings
heather collins profile photo
June 19, 2018

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "Excellent IDE for web development"

• This IDE offers full support for JS frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter.
  • No additional plugins are required to work with frameworks such as React, Stencil and AngularJS
  • Docker integration plugin is another great feature that we use regularly in our department.
  • It would be ideal if the IDE was made free of cost like Visual Studio Code from Microsoft. That would really boost its adoption by developers.
  • We've run into issues with using Karma debugging for our test execution framework.
  • The product can be heavy in terms of resource consumption.
Like its name suggests, the IDE is ideally suited for front-end web development work. It comes with native support for typescript language. We've managed to have remote debugging enabled for our applications by using different plugins and it has sped up the development work considerably.
Read heather collins's full review
November 28, 2018

IntelliJ WebStorm: "Review"

• Integrated Version control system saves me lots of time to resolve conflicts and see different systems side by side.
  • Customisable theme options are very cool and I can work in low light as well.
  • Sometimes auto formatter creates big problems
  • It's not free. You can have the trial version for a month, but the price is little bit high.
It is very easy to adapt for any user.
July 27, 2018

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "Excellent IDE for web development"

• warning for tslint errors
  • warning for compilation error
  • refactoring ( rename file or class with all his dependencies)
  • Not free :(
Very recommended tool. Excellent IDE for a web developer.
- This IDE offers full support for JS/TS frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal and debugging options.
- No additional plugins are required.
- Support framework like angular and React
Swapnil Pharate profile photo
December 19, 2017

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "IDE for complete full stack web development"

• Number of languages supported
  • Number of web frameworks supported
  • Smart editing
  • Debugging
  • Integration with other tools
  • Little slow while opening files for the first time
  • Opens new window if you open file from outside
  • Costs money
Full stack web development socially for startup where all latest web frameworks and languages are being used for development
Read Swapnil Pharate's full review
May 08, 2018

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "A Smart IDE"

• Provides full feature support for native JavaScript as well as frameworks like Angular, React, Stencil etc.
  • The IDE provides support for auto-linting which is a handy feature to have in order for teams to produce good standardized code.
  • The built in terminal is very handy if you want to deploy the code using Webpack server.
  • The IDE is fairly resource intensive. It has gotten better in the newer versions but still hogs around 500MB at minimum.
  • We've constantly had issues with using the debugger to function correctly while running our Karma tests.
  • The IDE is not free like Visual Studio Code or Eclipse and the cost can be a bit prohibitive for young startups.
The IDE is best suited for JavaScript front end development. It has good support for typescript language as well. The IDE has a wide variety of plugins or add-ons that can be installed to extend functionality although the most regularly used ones are pre-installed. If you are looking for an IDE that handles both back end and front end languages then you might want to consider VS code from Microsoft. The fact that WebStorm is not free might make it less appealing for some developers too.

Rahul Chaudhary profile photo
December 05, 2017

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "I love my IntelliJ <3"

We use IntelliJ Webstorm as the primary development editor for our development purposes. We mainly code in NodeJS and Angular and this was a perfect fit for JavaScript editor. We initially tried many other editors such as Atom, Eclipse, but none of them were giving us the full experience we wanted. Purchasing WebStorm was the best decision we took, because since then we have all the tools we need in one place. We use WebStorm as an editor, debugger, version control, database views, terminal, code-beautifier, linter, and what not.
  • This is the only editor in my opinion which gives you the full development experience if you want to code in JavaScript.
  • WebStorm supports many different linters including "standards". This has been such a blessing for our team. All our PRs look perfect now.
  • WebStorm is very good in design. I love coding in it.
  • It has terminal built right into it. I know many other editors also provide this, but I really like how seamlessly the terminal works out of the box.
  • Most of the plugins you will ever need is already installed right off the box. I haven't installed anything new so far.
  • The rename/reformat functions are very intelligent. I feel very confident renaming something new.
  • There is a "validation" inspector which reports anything as small as spellings. This helps us keep our codebase very-very clean.
  • The auto-complete feature is the worst/weakest thing about WebStorm. It definitely works very much like other editors (not bad when compared to other editors), but I expected more intelligence.
  • It does not natively supports many frameworks (like mocha if I remember correctly), which is okay because obviously they cannot support everything, and you have the option to install the library-support. But the auto-complete/function-definition is very bad. The library-support only adds method calls from the "TypeScript" version. E.g. if a method abc() is defined in a library, but the typescript version that WebStorm downloaded does not have that method, it shows a warning. I would like WebStorm to scan my node_modules and use method-signatures from there instead of typescript signatures.
  • The profile exporter will only export language settings. However I would like WebStorm to also export other settings such as right-margin length and any other setting that I might change. In-fact I would like the profile to be version-controlled locally so that I can keep track of what changes I made over the time period.
Well suited for:
1. Full featured development environment.
2. Cutting edge support for latest frameworks.
3. An out of box program which just works.

Not well suited for:
1. There is no "free" version of this editor. You have to pay yearly fee, but that is very cheap in my opinion.
2. Look for different editors for different languages. This works best for NodeJS and frontend stuff.
3. Small startup companies. I have heard the prices are very high per developer which small companies cannot afford. But I am sure if you just talk to the support team, they can give you a discount.
Read Rahul Chaudhary's full review
Tristin Davis profile photo
November 07, 2017

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "Excellent for new Javascript developers or anyone trying to learn a supported framework!"

We use IntelliJ WebStorm in our web development department for its wonderful support for Vue.js.
  • Vue.js is our primary use of WebStorm. It provides excellent IntelliSense and framework support for our primary architecture.
  • Our secondary use for WebStorm is for JQuery based applications.
  • WebStorm is a bit heavy. At any given point it needs between 700 MB and 800 MB to function efficiently.
  • At time, the IDE may go a little haywire and require a restart to function properly again.
  • Better framework documentation in the editor would be a welcomed addition.
If you need one of the supported framework's support in your editor then IntelliJ WebStorm is an excellent editor. It will "save you from yourself" in many areas and ease the learning curve for many frameworks.
Read Tristin Davis's full review
Foster Haines profile photo
October 25, 2017

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "Incredible JetBrains Product"

WebStorm is being used in my team as we are the only area of the organization that is working on Node/JS applications. WebStorm address the business problem of needing a JavaScript IDE without the overhead and significantly cheaper licensing model compared to Visual Studio. My team and I are more productive and efficient at JavaScript development as a result of using WebStorm.
  • JS intellisense
  • Easy to add plug-ins for the IDE
  • Seems to be responsive and fast in the editor and debugging mode
  • Seems to take a while to load up the IDE initially - I've seen this on both MacOS and Windows 10
WebStorm is well suited for JavaScript application development. I've enjoyed JetBrains ReSharper for VS for many years now and WebStorm takes all that familiarity and applies to it's own JavaScript IDE. While the layout differs from VS, I still feel comfortable and familiar with WebStorm.
Read Foster Haines's full review
November 29, 2017

IntelliJ WebStorm Review: "JetBrains makes great products, and WebStorm is no exception."

I am the senior developer for our company and I use WebStorm for all web (i.e. JavaScript) development. I've used PyCharm for a number of years and when I came across a web application I needed to develop, I checked out JetBrain's options. WebStorm was their offering for web dev so I naturally tried it out. I absolutely loved it and purchased it right away. I use it almost daily now and am a huge fan and it really improved my workflow.
  • Provides all the standard IDE benefits (code completion, object awareness, etc.).
  • Allows for modules and libraries to be added to projects.
  • Has the same standard interface that JetBrains has really perfected so it's a natural move from PyCharm to WebStorm.
  • I haven't run into a situation where I'm unable to figure out how to do what I want. I haven't come across any negatives yet.
The only place where you might not want to use it is if you are making a single file or a very very small project that could otherwise be handled in notepad. Using an IDE in this situation might be an overkill.

But all our code is saved to GitHub so there's no reason not to use it.

IntelliJ WebStorm Scorecard Summary