WebStorm Reviews

Hayk Baghdasaryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 17, 2020

A paradise for web development!

This product is the main IDE used by the entire organization on different projects. It is used in nearly every phase of our software development.
  • Rich features.
  • Reliability.
  • Resource heavy.
  • UX is a bit complicated.
It is well suited for any kind of web development and has very good integrated testing tools. It's very easy to perform code analysis and refactor using refactoring tools. Version Control GUI is another feature that is done very well in this product. The merging window comes in handy when merge conflicts happen. If you're a startup or a small company that can't afford a good hardware, or software license, it might be less appropriate to use WebStorm, because it is pricey and resource-heavy.
Read Hayk Baghdasaryan's full review
March 03, 2020

Excellent IDE for modern JavaScript Frameworks

I use WebStorm to develop AngularJS and Angular applications. It is not a department-wide standard, but I made the case to purchase my own license based on my experience with other JetBrains products, and it's a key part of my development process.
  • Built in support for multiple technologies.
  • Excellent debugger.
  • Lots of plugins.
  • Speed and responsiveness.
  • Every now and then the indexer takes over and slows things down.
When using TypeScript, or any of the major JavaScript frameworks, especially with large code bases. The code navigation works really well.
Sarah Ciras Rousseau | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 31, 2020

JetBrains WebStorm Allows for Accessibility

I use IntelliJ WebStorm in my Computer Science classes as the IDE of choice for my students. They often continue to use WebStorm clients long after graduation. WebStorm has a huge amount of features that help make it accessible and entirely useful for programmers of all ability levels. I have had students use it to create interactive projects or to just test out ideas.
  • Includes a built in spell checker to eliminate time wasted searching for small mistakes.
  • Provides a drop down menu of options complete with keyboard shortcuts that allow for streamlined programming.
  • Identifies when variables are named differently, allowing for cohesive work without the scrolling.
  • Changing the text size and color can be difficult to navigate.
  • The organization of the left side bar is not entirely intuitive.
  • Could always benefit from more accessibility features.
WebStorm is a great product for programming and development. It has all the capabilities needed for education, as well as for professional deployment. I use it in the classroom with my students, who benefit from the comprehensive drop down menus and the integrated spell check. It also has a clean user interface that allows for customization.
Read Sarah Ciras Rousseau's full review
Tim Hardy | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 26, 2019

WebStorm, a AAA IDE that is perfect for any Javascript project, particularly Angular and NodeJs projects

We use WebStorm to develop our Single Page Application (SPA) projects, particular Angular projects. We also use it for any NodeJs projects. WebStorm is perfect for any Javascript project. It is a AAA IDE with support for all major frameworks, source control systems, package managers, testing tools, and a host of plug-ins.
  • Angular development - built-in support for tslint allows your team to code to a single standard.
  • NodeJs testing - Mocha and Chai testing is a breeze for my Node unit tests.
  • Emmet support for HTML makes for speedy prototyping.
  • The file difference utilities are some of the best I've used for my Github merge conflicts. They are really focused around source control conflict scenarios instead of the "can be used for" mentality of other IDEs.
  • The popup file search sometimes frustrates me. It caps the number of results, and sometimes it isn't clear that it simply stopped looking. I also used to have trouble finding string occurrences that I knew were in my project, but I think they've made improvements in this area recently.
  • Being a AAA IDE, WebStorm can be a memory hog. If I don't kill it every few days, it can get really slow. I would love to see performance improvements.
  • Speaking of performance, WebStorm can take a long time to launch. I'd like to see improvements in launch times.
WebStorm is perfect for any Javascript project. It is particularly good for Angular projects. We used to use Visual Studio Code for our Angular projects, but after trying out the free trial of WebStorm, I've converted and never looked back. I bought a personal subscription, and I got a few colleagues to join me. Now, we berate our Visual Studio Code coworkers who don't honor the default Angular tslint rules. "Stop screwing up our code and code to the standard!" It takes them some effort to see all the "red squigglies" that the default Angular tslint provides. The only projects I don't use WebStorm for are .Net projects. I still prefer some form of Visual Studio for those.
Read Tim Hardy's full review
Drew Clauson | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 27, 2019

Great IDE focused on streamlined web development!

Currently, we are using this in our development department. It really increases our development time with its integration with all of the services that we use, from code control to build processes. We use it for the development of internal and client-facing sites and files, and it works well with every environment that we throw at it. It helps us all to be on the same page by using the same IDE but is customizable enough for user preferences so each developer still has their own workspace.
  • Source control integration - supports all major source control systems.
  • User customization - users can set up the IDE to meet their own style and needs.
  • Code completion - does a great job at auto-completing code!
  • Company response to requested features sometimes lags behind a little.
IntelliJ WebStorm is well suited towards web development of all kinds, but its sister products are probably slightly better for development of web sites based in Java/PHP/etc, although plugins may be able to achieve this in WebStorm. It's not as well suited to command line or compiled program scenarios - those are better to use JetBrain's other products, which are very similar.
Read Drew Clauson's full review
Igal Fleishman | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 22, 2019

Good product overall, needs a little bit more attention to bugs, fewer features and more stability/performance.

We are a small startup with five people. We had several developers, however, I'm the only one using it. I'm using the IDE for frontend/backend web apps development.
  • Find code
  • Refactoring (rename file/variables/functions)
  • Visual differences
  • Merge and auto-merge non-conflicting code
  • Concurrent multi-project support. Always some issues with that. Now the issue is that it's difficult to use the keyboard to focus on the current IDE window because the focus goes to other project windows
  • For the longest time, there was an issue with the "Find in Path" dialog which didn't or couldn't be closed properly/easily
  • Sometimes WebStorm reaches a point where it cannot find symbols. After restart and/or project reopen, it can
  • Sometimes it becomes really slow and shows the macOS spinner. Then it needs to restart before working
  • Restart takes a long time, especially when having several JS web apps project windows open. On my 2017 Macbook Pro it takes half a minute or so until it settles after starting
Web apps development is a good use case, though there are too many speed and stability issues, almost to the point of having it be more worthwhile for developers to use Visual Studio Code.
Read Igal Fleishman's full review
December 04, 2019

Simple and Smart IDE

IntelliJ WebStorm is used as an integrated workbench to work on javascript projects both on client-side and server-side applications. It used as per the developer's interest in IDE. It's being used to develop health-care related applications.
  • Custom find functionality for a particular text in directory.
  • Git integration feature is very handy.
  • Smart auto completion of the code.
  • Typescript support.
  • Pattern matching text feature integration.
  • Ability to work on multiple projects with multiple windows of application opened.
  • Nice UI.
  • It can do a lot with providing coding insights improving the developer to find the mistakes using automation features.
  • IDE becomes slow when we are working on projects with large number of files.
  • Integration of more themes.
  • Ability to install more plugins which will help developer to workbench customize as per their needs.
IntelliJ WebStorm well suited for javascript projects, especially when there are a lot of files to work. Easy to debug and integrate with databases like MySQL.
September 28, 2019

The One Tool for Web Development

IntelliJ WebStorm is our standard IDE for developing web applications with JavaScript, TypeScript, JSON, HTML, CSS. We use it with a variety of frameworks such as React, Vue, Angular. Developers enjoy working with it for its great support for development, refactoring, autocompletion and a rich system of plugins that provide rich functionality, such as editing Markdown, AsciiDoc, YAML files and similar.
  • Developing JavaScript.
  • Developing HTML, CSS.
  • Provide plugins with various additional functionality.
  • Frequent updates with enhancements.
  • Slower start than competitors.
  • Slows down for large codebases.
  • Onboarding new users require time for education.
IntelliJ WebStorm is well suited for:

• Developing JavaScript, TypeScript applications, understanding and debugging code.
  • Work with a variety of web frameworks Angular, React, Vue.
  • Good support for HTML and CSS.
  • A rich ecosystem of community provided plugins expands the use to a variety of software development tasks.
IntelliJ WebStorm is not well suited for:
  • Non-JavaScript programming languages.
  • Editing files where quick startup time is required.
August 25, 2019

Javascript integrated development environment for teams

WebStorm is a great JavaScript IDE that my team and I use when creating JavaScript-based applications. It was originally just used by me and over time has expanded to our team's developers adopting the tool to increase speed, testing, efficiency, and reduce bugs in our overall codebase. The business problems it addresses is the need for a centralized tool that our team can become familiar with and develop great applications for both internal and external use.
  • Software development
  • Code testing
  • Code folding
  • Code organization
  • Javascript development
  • Git
  • Platform support
  • Plugins and integration
WebStorm is great for JavaScript programming and development but would not be the proper tool for other types of development such as data science or iOS/android development. This tool is specific to JavaScript and really doesn't work in other development settings. It is focused on producing the best, most extensible JavaScript application.
Anthony Aziz | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 03, 2019

Our entire dev team uses WebStorm as our primary IDE for Angular and AngularJS development. We develop an online, web-based service with a backend web API fronted by a large Angular/AngularJS application. We adopted WebStorm as a fully functional IDE after using more simple text editors previously, and this has improved developer productivity and product quality.
  • Provides a smooth, efficient IDE for developing web applications. Performance is on par with other JetBrains products and doesn't impede productivity.
  • Integrated refactoring and other language tools are comprehensive and useful. WebStorm does a good job of putting together the mess that Javascript can make, usually.
  • Integrates with other JetBrains products, such as TeamCity, Upsource, etc.
  • Great git integration and UI.
  • When dealing with legacy Javascript/Typescript code, refactoring can be dangerous. eg. changing variable names across the entire project rather than just local scope.
  • Versioning can be a bit of a nightmare. There is an official updater, but they tend to leave old versions hanging around, and I have found myself accidentally using a previously installed version without intending to.
WebStorm is a comprehensive web IDE that will be especially comfortable for anyone familiar with other JetBrains products, such as IntelliJ or Rider. It offers an environment for developing larger and more mature web applications, and promotes good design via refactoring, suggestions, and built-in support for many frameworks. WebStorm works on a project basis, so it is not as convenient for editing one-off scripts, though.
Read Anthony Aziz's full review
Ben McClure | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 07, 2019

The reigning champion in front-end IDEs

Our development team is utilizing IntelliJ WebStorm along with the other applications in the Jetbrains Toolbox. Typically, we use it when we are developing front-end libraries, such as Node.js modules, or other Javascript libraries and applications, all the way through to complete websites in some cases. We move over to PhpStorm or another tool if we need a server-side dynamic language, however.
  • The coding assistance provided by WebStorm is the best around. It facilitates very rapid development without having to hunt through documentation all day.
  • The breadth and depth of plugins, both from JetBrains and from the community, is incredible. There are plugins to do practically anything.
  • It's cross-platform, and using the JetBrains Toolbox makes it so it can auto-update seamlessly without me needing to worry about it.
  • The amount of languages and types of projects it can support is pretty staggering.
  • WebStorm can be slow to start up, particularly if it has to reindex the site, it can end up slowing my entire computer down for a little while. This is compounded with having a lot of plugins active.
  • WebStorm can be very resource-intensive. It will happily eat up as much memory as you give it, at least to a point. This is fine if you have a beefy development system, but if you don't have a lot of memory or other resources available, WebStorm can sometimes run quite slowly.
  • Once in a while, using "Find in files" doesn't find certain text strings that do exist within project files. It's pretty rare, but it has caused a hassle a couple of times.
If you're developing front-end web applications or JavaScript libraries, I think using WebStorm is a no-brainer. The only time I would not use WebStorm for something like that is if I have a reason to move over to PhpStorm, or the full JetBrains IDEA Ultimate. But even in those cases, I'm using the functionality from WebStorm as plugins in the other JetBrains IDEs. I don't think there is any better option for an IDE for front-end development.
Read Ben McClure's full review
Dhruba Jyoti Nag | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2019

WebStorm: A costly but reliable Javascript developer

In the current organization, WebStorm is used by folks who are into web development. It is mainly used by web developers who need the enterprise features that WebStorm offers like quick code generation, debugging, and easy integration to version control like Git. It is primarily used by people who are into development of new javascript frameworks.
  • Webstorm is suitable for development in new JS frameworks like Angular and reacts with drastic improvement in recent years.
  • It helps in the seamless debugging of test websites.
  • Integration with Git is a breeze. A Git rebase is made so simple and trivial by the integrated merge tool.
  • As with many more Intellij products, it is a memory hog. It is very resource intensive process.
  • Being a simple JS editor , it has a very high cost. So there will not be a big adoption especially when there are competing open source products offering at per functionality.
  • The code completion can be a little improved.
Client-side debugging can be easily done from within WebStorm. It can be used to write code in Angular, React and other different Javascript frameworks. The git integration is excellent. The git rebase operation is supported by a robust merge tool. WebStorm being an enterprise product has a cost and it can be optimized to be a little lightweight and fast.
Read Dhruba Jyoti Nag's full review
Dave Otis | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2018

IntelliJ WebStorm, a great tool to develop in an efficient way

Here in my organization, we use IntelliJ to deploy internal and external front-end web applications using Angular. We use this software across all of or web developers and we really love it. WebStorm helps users to create faster and more efficient code and the fact that ReSharper is integrated in this software is just amazing.
  • Integrates with ReSharper.
  • Cross-platform.
  • Quick to set up.
  • They know what we want as programmers.
  • CPU Consumer.
  • Expensive.
  • This software is proprietary and cannot be modified.
IntelliJ WEbstorm is suited to develop our front-end web application, but this product is not really appropriate to develop our back-end application.
Read Dave Otis's full review
December 18, 2018

There's nothing bad that can be said about IntelliJ WebStorm if your web dev project leans on JavaScript

Currently, it is not listed as a corporate application that we use internally across all departments, but I believe some departments, including ours have purchased single or multi licenses for IntelliJ WebStorm. Within our department we do custom development, support and administration of enterprise web applications to support our corporate internal services. For us, WebStorm was the most practical IDE for us to use, as it accommodated all of our needs to do custom web development. We work a lot with JavaScript (NodeJS, Archibus API), so it's extremely useful for this. As well, we use Gitlab and the built-in plugins for WebStorm allow us to do everything within the IDE, instead of using multiple apps.
  • Plugins -- especially the Git integration
  • Debuggings for JavaScript, which is very customization.
  • Ability to use Flow
  • Lots of cool syntax highlighting and code styling.
  • A problem I have with a lot of IDEs is that they seem to go over-kill. Although not entirely a con, a dumbed down version of WebStorm would be useful.
  • Subscription based license
If you're doing any kind of Node development, WebStorm is an essential tool. In my experience, it's also been a valuable asset when using Angular and React. A lot of web dev IDEs do not provide much debugging for JavaScript, and this is where WebStorm just destroys other IDEs. They have the best JavaScript debugging features I've ever used.

It's hard to say that WebStorm is less appropriate for anything, as it's one of JetBrains tailored IDEs. It is literally an IDE exclusively designed for JavaScript languages (although not limited), so it plays a specific role and does this extremely well.
November 28, 2018

Review

Local File history is a blessing. Code Debugging is very smooth. Best part is auto correct options. If you write the wrong, syntax it gives you a hint of what you should use instead.
  • Integrated Version control system saves me lots of time to resolve conflicts and see different systems side by side.
  • Customisable theme options are very cool and I can work in low light as well.
  • Sometimes auto formatter creates big problems
  • It's not free. You can have the trial version for a month, but the price is little bit high.
It is very easy to adapt for any user.
heather collins | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 19, 2018

Excellent IDE for web development

Our company adopted the use of IntelliJ Webstorm roughly three years ago. As our web apps transitioned from the older style Java, JSP based architecture to more Reactive and Javascript style we felt the need to use an IDE that would provide our greatest support in that direction. Webstorm is used in our software development department as the IDE of choice for web and front-end development. Most of our front-end development is done in Angular and Vue.
  • This IDE offers full support for JS frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter.
  • No additional plugins are required to work with frameworks such as React, Stencil and AngularJS
  • Docker integration plugin is another great feature that we use regularly in our department.
  • It would be ideal if the IDE was made free of cost like Visual Studio Code from Microsoft. That would really boost its adoption by developers.
  • We've run into issues with using Karma debugging for our test execution framework.
  • The product can be heavy in terms of resource consumption.
Like its name suggests, the IDE is ideally suited for front-end web development work. It comes with native support for typescript language. We've managed to have remote debugging enabled for our applications by using different plugins and it has sped up the development work considerably.
Read heather collins's full review
Rahul Chaudhary | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2017

I love my IntelliJ <3

We use IntelliJ Webstorm as the primary development editor for our development purposes. We mainly code in NodeJS and Angular and this was a perfect fit for JavaScript editor. We initially tried many other editors such as Atom, Eclipse, but none of them were giving us the full experience we wanted. Purchasing WebStorm was the best decision we took, because since then we have all the tools we need in one place. We use WebStorm as an editor, debugger, version control, database views, terminal, code-beautifier, linter, and what not.
  • This is the only editor in my opinion which gives you the full development experience if you want to code in JavaScript.
  • WebStorm supports many different linters including "standards". This has been such a blessing for our team. All our PRs look perfect now.
  • WebStorm is very good in design. I love coding in it.
  • It has terminal built right into it. I know many other editors also provide this, but I really like how seamlessly the terminal works out of the box.
  • Most of the plugins you will ever need is already installed right off the box. I haven't installed anything new so far.
  • The rename/reformat functions are very intelligent. I feel very confident renaming something new.
  • There is a "validation" inspector which reports anything as small as spellings. This helps us keep our codebase very-very clean.
  • The auto-complete feature is the worst/weakest thing about WebStorm. It definitely works very much like other editors (not bad when compared to other editors), but I expected more intelligence.
  • It does not natively supports many frameworks (like mocha if I remember correctly), which is okay because obviously they cannot support everything, and you have the option to install the library-support. But the auto-complete/function-definition is very bad. The library-support only adds method calls from the "TypeScript" version. E.g. if a method abc() is defined in a library, but the typescript version that WebStorm downloaded does not have that method, it shows a warning. I would like WebStorm to scan my node_modules and use method-signatures from there instead of typescript signatures.
  • The profile exporter will only export language settings. However I would like WebStorm to also export other settings such as right-margin length and any other setting that I might change. In-fact I would like the profile to be version-controlled locally so that I can keep track of what changes I made over the time period.
Well suited for:
1. Full featured development environment.
2. Cutting edge support for latest frameworks.
3. An out of box program which just works.

Not well suited for:
1. There is no "free" version of this editor. You have to pay yearly fee, but that is very cheap in my opinion.
2. Look for different editors for different languages. This works best for NodeJS and frontend stuff.
3. Small startup companies. I have heard the prices are very high per developer which small companies cannot afford. But I am sure if you just talk to the support team, they can give you a discount.
Read Rahul Chaudhary's full review
Tristin Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 07, 2017

Excellent for new Javascript developers or anyone trying to learn a supported framework!

We use IntelliJ WebStorm in our web development department for its wonderful support for Vue.js.
  • Vue.js is our primary use of WebStorm. It provides excellent IntelliSense and framework support for our primary architecture.
  • Our secondary use for WebStorm is for JQuery based applications.
  • WebStorm is a bit heavy. At any given point it needs between 700 MB and 800 MB to function efficiently.
  • At time, the IDE may go a little haywire and require a restart to function properly again.
  • Better framework documentation in the editor would be a welcomed addition.
If you need one of the supported framework's support in your editor then IntelliJ WebStorm is an excellent editor. It will "save you from yourself" in many areas and ease the learning curve for many frameworks.
Read Tristin Davis's full review
Foster Haines | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2017

Incredible JetBrains Product

WebStorm is being used in my team as we are the only area of the organization that is working on Node/JS applications. WebStorm address the business problem of needing a JavaScript IDE without the overhead and significantly cheaper licensing model compared to Visual Studio. My team and I are more productive and efficient at JavaScript development as a result of using WebStorm.
  • JS intellisense
  • Easy to add plug-ins for the IDE
  • Seems to be responsive and fast in the editor and debugging mode
  • Seems to take a while to load up the IDE initially - I've seen this on both MacOS and Windows 10
WebStorm is well suited for JavaScript application development. I've enjoyed JetBrains ReSharper for VS for many years now and WebStorm takes all that familiarity and applies to it's own JavaScript IDE. While the layout differs from VS, I still feel comfortable and familiar with WebStorm.
Read Foster Haines's full review
Swapnil Pharate | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 19, 2017

IDE for complete full stack web development

It’s an individual's choice to use Webstorm for development. It’s not mandatory or imposed by any department.
  • Number of languages supported
  • Number of web frameworks supported
  • Smart editing
  • Debugging
  • Integration with other tools
  • Little slow while opening files for the first time
  • Opens new window if you open file from outside
  • Costs money
Full stack web development socially for startup where all latest web frameworks and languages are being used for development
Read Swapnil Pharate's full review
May 08, 2018

A Smart IDE

IntelliJ WebStorm is used extensively at our product development department as the IDE of choice for web and front end development. IntelliJ has a great reputation for creating enterprise quality software and WebStorm is no different. At our company most of the front end development is done in AngularJS and Angular. This IDE offers full feature support for both frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal, debugger and auto-linter.
  • Provides full feature support for native JavaScript as well as frameworks like Angular, React, Stencil etc.
  • The IDE provides support for auto-linting which is a handy feature to have in order for teams to produce good standardized code.
  • The built in terminal is very handy if you want to deploy the code using Webpack server.
  • The IDE is fairly resource intensive. It has gotten better in the newer versions but still hogs around 500MB at minimum.
  • We've constantly had issues with using the debugger to function correctly while running our Karma tests.
  • The IDE is not free like Visual Studio Code or Eclipse and the cost can be a bit prohibitive for young startups.
The IDE is best suited for JavaScript front end development. It has good support for typescript language as well. The IDE has a wide variety of plugins or add-ons that can be installed to extend functionality although the most regularly used ones are pre-installed. If you are looking for an IDE that handles both back end and front end languages then you might want to consider VS code from Microsoft. The fact that WebStorm is not free might make it less appealing for some developers too.

July 27, 2018

Excellent IDE for web development

I am a full stack developer. I used Webstorm for javascript and typescript development. Webstorm IDE gives the ability to enable tslint and jshint. I also use it to run karma tests. It is a strong tool that gives you intelligent code completion, on-the-fly error detection, powerful navigation, and refactoring.
  • warning for tslint errors
  • warning for compilation error
  • refactoring ( rename file or class with all his dependencies)
  • Not free :(
Very recommended tool. Excellent IDE for a web developer.
- This IDE offers full support for JS/TS frameworks and comes equipped with Git, bash terminal and debugging options.
- No additional plugins are required.
- Support framework like angular and React
November 29, 2017

JetBrains makes great products, and WebStorm is no exception.

I am the senior developer for our company and I use WebStorm for all web (i.e. JavaScript) development. I've used PyCharm for a number of years and when I came across a web application I needed to develop, I checked out JetBrain's options. WebStorm was their offering for web dev so I naturally tried it out. I absolutely loved it and purchased it right away. I use it almost daily now and am a huge fan and it really improved my workflow.
  • Provides all the standard IDE benefits (code completion, object awareness, etc.).
  • Allows for modules and libraries to be added to projects.
  • Has the same standard interface that JetBrains has really perfected so it's a natural move from PyCharm to WebStorm.
  • I haven't run into a situation where I'm unable to figure out how to do what I want. I haven't come across any negatives yet.
The only place where you might not want to use it is if you are making a single file or a very very small project that could otherwise be handled in notepad. Using an IDE in this situation might be an overkill.

But all our code is saved to GitHub so there's no reason not to use it.

About WebStorm