What is Jenzabar SONIS?
I use Sonis almost every day. A useful program.
Tools for all Schools
- Tech Details
What is Jenzabar SONIS?
Jenzabar SONIS is a student information system that helps improve efficiencies for constituents. Designed for smaller or specialized schools, growing institutions, or those with staff constraints, Jenzabar SONIS enables users to manage all aspects of a school’s administrative tasks online and provides integrated services for admissions, registration, grading, billing, course management, and other administrative functions.
Student Information: Jenzabar SONIS provides in-depth insight into students, allowing the user to view and update their biographic records as their academic journey is closely tracked.
Recruitment & Admissions: Jenzabar SONIS provides automation and customization to help the user personally connect with students, increase the efficiency of a staff, and ensure no prospective student falls through the cracks.
Student Billing: Streamline and optimize billing operations and provides students with a wide range of payment options.
Financial Aid: Automate the financial aid process, eliminating hours of tedious paperwork.
Course Management: Jenzabar SONIS provides the learning management resources faculty needs to deliver courses in a way that matches how the modern student learns.
Continuing Education: Jenzabar SONIS features a continuing education portal that allows students and community members alike to access specific “pay courses” without the hassles of the admissions process.
Advancement: Deliver the functionality to formulate and execute development campaigns and engage alumni.
Jenzabar SONIS Features
Student Data Features
- Supported: Student Attendance Tracking
- Supported: Student Health Information
- Supported: Grade Book Management
- Supported: Student Background Records
- Supported: Student and Parent Portal
- Supported: Transcript Management
Student and Faculty Administration Features
- Supported: Integrations with 3rd-Party Education Technology
- Supported: Online Registration Management
- Supported: District Communications, such as messaging and alerting
- Supported: Roster Management
- Supported: Platform Customization
- Supported: Teacher Self-Service
- Supported: Student Data Security
- Supported: Community Support
- Supported: Class Scheduling
- Supported: State and National-level Reporting
- Supported: Compliance Support
- Supported: Teacher and Parent Mobile Application
- Supported: Engage students and applicants with personalized, automated communications
- Supported: Securely manage student data and share academic records with one centralized database
- Supported: Make data-based decisions with advanced query tools and pre-configured reports
- Supported: Connect anytime from any device
Jenzabar SONIS Video
Watch Jenzabar SONIS
Jenzabar SONIS Technical Details
|Deployment Types||Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
|Mobile Application||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|
|Supported Countries||Built-in language translation makes Jenzabar SONIS the perfect choice for schools around the globe.|
|Supported Languages||Built-in language translation makes Jenzabar SONIS the perfect choice for schools around the globe.|
ComparisonsView all alternatives
Reviews and Ratings
Reviews(1-3 of 3)
- Popular Filters
Jenzabar SONIS, worth the money!!
- Great value
- Built in reports are great, but it also has add on reporting that is fantastic.
- Hosting they offer is phenomenal nearly no downtime, ever!
- I wish they would hire more Customer Support.
- The Online Application has helped us gain applicants.
I use Sonis almost every day. A useful program.
- It has an attendance function. It is easy to use this function when needed.
- It has a function for inputting midterm grades. This is very useful for our students and for tracking academic issues. Input of Midterm Grades is easy.
- It has a function for inputting final grades. Input of final grades is easy and there is a confirmation when completed.
- It has a function for course registration. This is menu driven and easy to use.
- SONIS sorts my advisees by class and then by name. This is NOT useful. There should be an option for sorting by name only. I advise almost fifty students. It wastes my time looking for them in the sophomore listing, then the junior listing......
- When registration of a student for semester courses is complete, there should be an option to print out only the courses scheduled, NOT the entire page which shows available courses at the bottom.
- SONIS sometimes kicks me out for no reason.
- Facilitates grade input by faculty.
- Facilitates course enrollment by students.
- Facilitates viewing student records and determining progress to program completion.
Tools for all Schools
- Jenzabar SONIS provides tools for working with individuals from their first request for information through submitting an application, being accepted for admission, enrolling in courses, taking and completing courses, and graduating from the school. The available tools not only provide a way to manage the data, but also for ongoing communication between the school and the prospect/student/graduate.
- Jenzabar SONIS allows a school the flexibility of enrolling students in individual courses, like you might have in adult education departments, or in programs and courses like you would find for students working on a degree. This flexibility made Jenzabar SONIS a valuable tool for us because we had not only certificate-seeking students but also a large Community Education Department and could use the same software for both.
- Jenzabar SONIS has the tools to record attendance and grades directly into a gradebook or to import final grades. This allowed us to continue to use our LMS for those teachers who wanted the resources available in that system while letting teachers who just needed a place to store grades to enter them directly into SONIS.
- The ability to attach pdfs to courses and individual records allowed us to scan many of our cumulative files from our archive and attach them to the alumni records in Jenzabar SONIS. This gave us more accessible, secure storage for our historical records and made it much easier to produce transcripts for alumni.
- One of the biggest struggles we had with Jenzabar SONIS was trying to figure out the best way to use some of the features. We didn't always understand the table relationships and so wasn't sure how some of our process decisions would affect other areas of data. There weren't any specific guidelines about how the designers expected fields to be used or how data should be entered. We sometimes discovered later that a field we chose to not use in one table made data entry in another table difficult.
- We weren't ever able to use any of the financial features of Jenzabar SONIS. When we first tried using them there were a lot of things that the software either didn't do well or that took so many steps that our business office staff was frustrated. I think that part of the software has improved but our business office was still not comfortable using it.
- Report writing was difficult for someone without strong SQL knowledge. We purchased the add-on report writer shortly before I left the school I was at and I believe it will help with that issue but a school who chose not to get that add-on would definitely need someone who knows SQL if they want to be able to generate their own reports.
Most of our programs are set up so the students within that program are all taking the same courses at the same time. The bulk registration feature made it easy to enroll one student and then use that student's enrollment to quickly enroll all of the others in the program. That was a huge time saver.
We had letters and emails that we wanted to send out at specific times in the application process. The Activity tool in Jenzabar SONIS made it easy for us to have some things that were automatically added to a person's record and others that we could add as needed. We could then run timed letters or emails and get our communication sent out.
We had some challenges with Jenzabar SONIS because we have a number of certificate programs that are only one semester in length. We often had students who would complete one certificate (program) in the fall and then complete another one in the spring. Many of the reports pulled data only for the active enrollment so we had to go back and manually pull the data for the enrollment from the other semester if we needed something for the full school year.
- Jenzabar SONIS was a very positive investment for us. Prior to using Jenzabar SONIS we had two people involved in admissions acitivites: setting up classes, enrolling students, processing applications, etc. We were able to do that with one person when we switched to Jenzabar SONIS.
- Processing transcript requests was a very time consuming process for us because we had to go to the vault, locate the students paper file, pull it, and then either make copies of it or enter the appropriate data in the student's Jenzabar SONIS record so a transcript could be printed. Because we were able to scan and attach the records to files in Jenzabar SONIS we can eliminate several steps and reduce the time it takes to produce a transcript.
- Having all of our prospect, student, alumni, and course data in one place as streamlined many of our processes and allowed for more effective prospect tracking.
- We are able to share enrollment and grade information directly between Jenzabar SONIS and our LMS. That greatly reduced the staff time involved in entering enrollment data in the LMS and then pulling grades and entering them in Jenzabar SONIS.