KeePass Reviews

Jacob Wall | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2020

Secure and Convenient Password Storage

Pros and Cons

• Very secure - no worries about our passwords being stored insecurely or in the wrong place.
  • Easy to share access to passwords used company-wide.
  • Integrates with Chrome and other browsers for ease of use and speed.
  • Price - free to use.
  • Outdated looking interface.
  • Setup is easy, but integration requires some more in-depth knowledge.
  • No automatic download/installation of upgrades.
Read Jacob Wall's full review
Matt James | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

KeePass: Great and Secure Password Management and More!

Pros and Cons

• Password management is great. It makes it super easy to store and view accounts if we can not remember particular login information.
  • The password generator is great as well! I like that it will generate a very unique and complex password for us.
  • It is nice to know how secure our passwords are when we add a new entry. It lets us know if we need to strengthen them.
  • Viewing of passwords is kind of clunky. Then again I might be doing it wrong to view them. I basically have to "edit" the entry then unmask the password to view it. But like I said, I might be doing it wrong.
  • The import function needs a bit of work. Importing passwords from a browser is just a mass import and it would be nice to have some more granular input.
  • Give me a dark mode!
Read Matt James's full review
January 31, 2020

Excellent password manager

• Password management.
  • Automation of repetitive web forms/requests.
  • Native browser integration. Integration is currently done with extensions/add-ons, however.
  • No app-specific UI customization, such as dark mode.
January 21, 2020

KeePass does the job

• Password Storage
  • Password Retrieval
  • Synching is clunky
  • Multiple users at one time can cause copnflicts
Robert Gephart | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 07, 2019

KeePass is a great password manager!

Pros and Cons

• Creates unique passwords for each login that you require.
  • Keeps a local encrypted copy of your passwords on your computer.
  • It is easy to find/look-up login credentials for each login. The user interface is well designed.
  • Keepass is kept locally on your computer. It takes a cloud service in order to keep it current on multiple computers.
  • Some websites do not work with the autofill feature in KeePass. Instead, you will find yourself on the reset password page. KeePass doesn't try to read the website before it pushes the autofill data.
  • The file on your computer is encrypted, but it is local and fairly easy to find on your computer.
Read Robert Gephart's full review
December 09, 2019

Super easy to use and packed full of features to make password management easier!

Pros and Cons

• KeePass offers us a simple to use interface to store our passwords in a centralized location.
  • I particularly like the fact that it allows you to obfuscate the username/password.
  • The feature for copy/paste the credentials is also a very handy ability that helps to save us time.
  • The ability to include URL and expiration dates is also great to have.
  • It also has an option to randomly-generate passwords for you.
  • I don't believe that this is so much a negative, but be sure that you keep your password database saved in a location that is accessible (even during an outage). Failure to do so will make it hard/impossible to recover passwords in the event that your database is unreachable (such as if a network drive failure).
October 18, 2019

If you value open source at all, KeePass should be your next (and last) stop.

Pros and Cons

• First and foremost, KeePass is open source! When it comes to a password management solution, we felt (and continue to feel) at ease knowing that we weren't handing the keys over to a single external facilitator.
  • It's free...forever!
  • You can import password databases from other providers (LastPass, etc.) fairly simply.
  • Lack of a direct mobile solution. There are unofficial ports (my favorite: KeePass2Android), but nothing directly under the KeePass banner.
  • You cannot automatically import username/password combinations from a web browser (though you can import from the majority of other password managers).
  • I personally do not see it as a detractor, but the most frequent feedback I hear is how barren/old the UI is. I view the UI as simplistic and pragmatic, which is exactly what I want in a password manager.

About KeePass

KeePass is an open source password manager which secures passwords in a database locked with a master password or key file.