For our company, Kernel-based Virtual Machine is one of the best virtualizations because It supports x86 infrastructure. It's open source …
At the customers, KVM is usually used by the …
- Virtual machine automated provisioning (5)9.292%
- Live virtual machine migration (5)9.090%
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of KVM, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
- Segregation of guess systems.
- Fair allocation of resources.
- Hardware virtualization.
- Handling of hardware failures.
- Hot migration of systems between KVM hosts.
- Lightweight built-in implementation for all *nix based OS.
- Easy to deploy and manage VMs.
- Freeware (is you are using a free OS).
- Monitoring features (unclear SNMP MIB DB, do not support by the monitoring systems, like Solarwinds and etc.)
- high-performance virtualisation
- no major problems with kvm
For our company, Kernel-based Virtual Machine is one of the best virtualizations because It supports x86 infrastructure. It's open source and you can download it for free and use it for development on your virtual machine. I recommend it as it's easy to use when you know the commands and everything. It is being used across our organization for a couple of projects.
- Handles everything we need
- Runs multiple versions of Linux servers
- Infrastructure of Kernel-based Virtual Machine is excellent
- Limited support for paravirtualization
- Not as good as OpenVZ
- Sometimes felt that performance drops down
At the customers, KVM is usually used by the IT departments, providing virtulization services to all kinds of users, departments and maybe even their customers.
Regarding the business problems KVM adresses:
KVM manages to provide a Linux-integrated virtualization foundation which enables IT departments to provide virtualized systems very fast and efficient. With enough knowledge, IT departments simply install Linux servers and start KVM VMs. The time frame from starting until VMs are up and running is very short, so IT departments don't necessarely have to buy virtualization products if they use KVM.
- KVM is really good at providing fast and reliable virtualization for Linux guests
- Since KVM is a kernel module, every VM is a Linux process which can be managed by Linux system tools
- KVM integrates very well with the management framework libvirt, which is why KVM can be integrated in automation tools as well
- KVM itself doesn't ship with a management interface
- KVM itself is a bit complicated to handle
- KVM needs Qemu to virtualize Windows guests
- Easy way to work with OpenStack
- Better performance with the Linux OS
- Lowest Cost
- Complex networking
- GPU processing is not fully supported
- It's hard to set up without support tools