Kofax PaperPort (formerly Nuance)

Great software

PaperPort Professional

$199

On Premise
per perpetual license

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://www.kofax.com/Products/paperport

What is Kofax PaperPort?

Kofax PaperPort 14.7 allows individuals and organizations to scan, share, search and organize documents in a simple, integrated solution.

Users can take individual or enterprise information management to higher productivity and security using this solution as a digital filing cabinet.

Kofax PaperPort Competitors

Kofax PaperPort Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows

Alternatives

What is Kofax PaperPort?

Kofax PaperPort (formerly from Nuance) is a document management software offering. It includes features such as desktop document management solution and allows you to manage and organize your documents in one solution.

Who uses Kofax PaperPort?

The most common users of Kofax PaperPort are from Small Businesses and the Information Technology & Services industry.

August 02, 2021

Great software

I have a whole on-line filing system using PDF documents sent to me, or scanned into PaperPort. These documents can be easily obtained for reference, or emailed to a third party. I also use many of the editing features that are available. It's a very powerful program.
  • Scan documents directly into PaperPort.
  • Filing system makes document retrieval easy.
  • Powerful PDF editing tools.
  • It should have a back button, so if you go from one folder to the next, it would be simple to get back to the first folder.
  • When you combine two PDFs, it should retain the title of the one that's on top.
  • The send to bar should be easier to change.
Kofax PaperPort is used by everyone in the organization but primarily used by Administration, HR and Finance functions as they need to deal with a lot of physical documents. It is also used by a lot of operation teams handling clients' Accounts Payable processed. It enables an organization to create a digital filing system with search and indexing capabilities to find the information easily. Also, with its inbuilt OCR capabilities, it also helps extract unstructured information from the documents and convert it into structured information.
  • With Kofax PaperPort, documents can be merged, pages can be extracted from multiple documents and combined to make a new PDF document. It is an important feature as one needs to do it very often and more ubiquitous pdf readers like Adobe Acrobat Reader DC lacks functionalities like these.
  • Kofax PaperPort scans the documents and using it's OCR, converts these scans to searchable PDF documents so that these documents can be searched based on the text content in them.
  • Functionality to convert other formats to PDF and PDF to other formats. This is important as many times , we need to upload certain documents only in a specific format and conversion is required to and from PDF format.
  • Only compatible with Windows. Has no support for Mac based devices.
  • Support needs to be improved as it's currently not up to the mark.
  • Hangs a lot which should not happen considering the kind of hardware being used.
It's a good tool for the organization which still send or receive a lot of paper documents. Keeping a track of paper receipts and documents is messy and not sustainable beyond a point. With Kofax PaperPort, the documents can be digitized and stored and even the information can be structured and the processes can be automated.
I had used PaperPort for 10 years with great success. Unfortunately, when I upgraded to the pro version I found it difficult to set up a template. Now I have to re-set all scan parameters each time I want to scan something. I had to stop using it in favor of the scanning device software. I tried to find a number for customer service, but can't find one anywhere on the site that yields a live person to discuss my issues. Although I have really liked this product for years there is now a disconnect in customer service. It shouldn't be that hard to get a five minute conversation to solve this issue.
  • Nice interface
  • Easy to store from scanned item
  • Fairy quick scanner engine
  • Customer Service
  • Ease of setting templates
I don't use it anymore because I can't figure out how to set up templates for repeating scan scenarios. I would like someone from customer service to contact me.
A good document management program. I use "Duplicate" and "Unstack / Stack" a LOT. I have used this program for over a decade. Solid performance.
  • Pdf Management
  • Freezes if scanner is disconnected while program is open
  • when annotating, smaller file size
Good program for a business that works with documents that need manipulation, duplication, annotation.
April 02, 2021

No Customer Service

Had been using it as file organizer and to complete documents. Sadly, it's stopped working!
  • None for the current verision
  • Will no longer open so nothing works
Back 15 years ago it worked perfectly. Used my old version until it had to be updated, which I did last year. After updating it recently it no longer will open and I can not find help with the issue. Tried solutions found online but non will work so it's a wasted $200!
Scanning to a computer system for archival purposes is fairly easy, but the ability to "clean up" a scan, and to save just portions of a scan is only possible with a tool like PaperPort.
From PaperPort's entry into the business world via Visioneer's Scansoft and Xerox Corporation's OCR push in the mid-1990s to today's PaperPort Pro have been the most useful tool in my office.
  • The editing of a PDF or image by cleaning up an image are most important to me.
  • Ability to remove scanning artifacts from difficult to scan items at the actual pixel level.
  • The ability to set scanner profiles makes workflow easier.
  • Default to Image View in opening a scanned PDF. For my work, I have other tools to just view a PDF. I would like to see a setting to default to Image View or Adobe Reader to open a PDF.
I see none.
In moving from OS to OS, the first thing that I search for is to purchase PaperPort for the device.
PaperPort is an invaluable File Management Tool. My copy is currently storing close to 100,000 files of a significant variety in many different formats. Its functionality includes rapid access and rapid file conversion to different formats. Its import of scans and integration with my scanner is without peer.
  • Saves and organizes e-mails by customer, by theme and by date.
  • Converts many different formats to .pdf files
  • Integrates beautifully with OneDrive & DropBox
  • Stores customer profiles several layers deep
  • Provides for very rapid and accurate searches.
  • Sometimes chokes on "html" files
Almost all aspects of File Management are handled very well.
I use it both for business and personal use. PaperPort Pro is a great suite of tools to not only scan documents but also manage and manipulate them as well. It has features to help you organize all of your files and directory structures, edit documents, convert documents, input documents, and share documents. I could not operate my solo law practice without it. I also use it for all the other businesses I operate, both for-profit, and non-profits.
  • Document and directory organization
  • Editing documents
  • OCR documents
  • Scanning documents with many features to adjust the scan results
  • View thumbnails of most document types for easier identification
  • Better options to edit and rearrange the toolbar menus
  • Nothing else, it's really a great product!
I honestly do not know of scenarios where it is not suited. For instance I use it to organize all my home receipts, manuals, documents, personal history documents, genealogy, recipes, craft instructions, etc. But also use it for complex business uses as well.