LanSchool Reviews

March 04, 2021
LanSchool has been a integral product for my teaching and assessments when teaching in a computer lab environment. As the instructor I can control what is being conducted on student computers and can share my screen with the students where they can follow along with my demonstrations on one of their monitors. I no longer see squinting at the projected screen at the front of the room. I can also lock their screens so they cannot do other tasks during lectures. Finally we use it during assessments to keep students honest on exams. I can see their screens and lock down the computers via whitelisting or blacklisting sites or applications. It has been a great tool all the way around.
  • Screen broadcasting.
  • Whitelisting/blacklisting applications.
  • Use it to connect to multiple computers, log in, and install software instead of going around one by one.
  • Screen locking.
  • Updating of application connecting directly (if licensed) instead of forcing me to go to website, sign in to download. This is not teacher oriented.
I have recommended it across campus and would not hesitate to do so again. It has been great in our lab environments and would like to continue using it for years to come. In the future as we move away from physical labs I will be investigating to purchase for BYOD devices, however I know that I will face pushback from students on this. However we must weigh privacy & security vs. using BYOD devices and integrity on exams.
February 23, 2019
Christopher Power | TrustRadius Reviewer
Lenovo LanSchool is the premier software that we use in all of our technology rooms, computer rooms, and in the library. It is being used by our organization predominantly for classroom management and improvement of class culture. The current software of LanSchool is installed on all PC's and Macs. The software is used schoolwide and it is a default installation on the teacher station for every classroom that has computers. All teachers are trained and receive professional development on the software. The key problem it addresses is monitoring a computer classroom with over 30 students or a library with over 100 computers and students. In terms of education, there is a large issue with keeping students engaged and active in all lessons. The best way to keep students on task is to be able to monitor all students from a main teacher station. When actually teaching lessons, the best use case for the software is to take over the entire class' computer screens and share your teacher screen to demo assignments or tasks.
  • Lenovo LanSchool has a very easy to use and easy to learn interface. With software, the hardest thing to do is to teach new teachers or veteran teachers how to use technology in their classrooms. Being able to easily teach teachers to use this software is one of the best aspects of the [Lenovo LanSchool].
  • Something that LanSchool does well is to monitor student actions. On the screens, you can see all the linked computers of all students. This feature lets you see every student on one screen. The alternative is walking around the classroom or scrolling through pages of student screens, with LanSchool you can guarantee that you are seeing all screens at once.
  • Overall classroom management is a key feature on the platform. You can share files, freeze student screens, blank out student screens and share another screen to the entire class. There are far more options in terms of engaging the students than a conventional method of asking students to pay attention. Installing LanSchool is a huge asset for teachers to engage and update their lessons.
  • A cool element I seldom use is the speaking software, being able to speak through their computer screens is great to give direction or get attention quickly.
  • Room for improvement would be that the software sometimes has glitches. There are times that when you unfreeze a student machine it does not unfreeze, the student is required to restart their machine.
  • If the wifi is poor, it is difficult to track the students because there is a lag in what it shows on your screen. I wonder if using Bluetooth could speed up that process from computer to teacher computer stations.
  • Things that I would love to see that I have not seen are the ability to send emails to students. We can send messages directly to the computers, but being able to email directly from the software would avoid the need to leave the platform and go to other websites such as a Gmail. This would streamline communication.
A scenario where this is best suited is in a large classroom. The problem with education is monitoring students, from elementary to middle to high school students. Students will be distracted easily on technology unless they can be tracked and specific students addressed. As a result, Lenovo LanSchool would be the best option to use in this case in order to actually re-train students to pay attention and to keep them on track in their classroom.

Where it would be less appropriate could be in small rooms where teachers can walk the classroom more often. Large classes require a long time to get from one side or one student and around to all of them, in large classes, this works well to help monitor and engage. In small classes, it is easy to engage students on a personal level when there are under 15 students per class. In small classes, this software could still support education with some of its key features, but in large classes and schools, this is the best use case for it.
Read Christopher Power's full review
January 07, 2019
Dianna Wolf | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used LanSchool in my classroom of up to 30 students. I had the paid version of LanSchool, so I was able to restart computers, log off computers, monitor computers, send messages to users, control computers, send users to specific sites, block sites, etc. This was used in my class to monitor, but also to teach. This was helpful to see what students were doing right and wrong, to get ideas, to share my screen or another student's screen for a teachable moment, and so many other ways to use the program.
  • Monitoring computers to see what users need assistance with or seeing what they are doing to determine what you need to do to support the users.
  • Allowing control of the computer in order to show the user how to do a task they were having difficulties with.
  • Sharing the screen of another user to demonstrate what to do or showcasing their work.
  • Allows for restarting multiple computers at once.
  • Allows communication in a messaging format within the program
  • Messaging could be improved for notification when messages are sent.
  • When multiple users use the same computer, sometimes LanSchool needs to be restarted to show changes in usernames.
  • You can save layouts, but I would like more options for how to arrange the layout you see the computers on your screen.
It was great for my classroom of 30 students so that I could help multiple students at a time with sharing my screen, another student's screen, or just blocking all screens to get everyone's attention to clear up misconceptions. This made management of student classwork, including projects like the yearbook, much easier when they had a question.
Read Dianna Wolf's full review
December 22, 2018
Karee Smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
Every single one of our STEM education instructors uses LanSchool in our classrooms. We are able to control student computers, prep them for students before they arrive for setup, etc. It is a game changer for integrating technology in our classrooms!
  • Ease of use
  • Multiple functions
  • classroom management
  • Sometimes when "blanking" screens, it interrupts or freezes our student's computers, making them have to start over.
  • I wish that we could "delete" things from the drop-down "run" menu. Instead, they have to just wait until they eventually get bumped off after not using for a while. I also wish we could have this be the same on all of our classroom computers.
  • Would be great if it was easier to retrieve files from student computers. Great function, but it is really tedious and complicated to do so.
Any classroom setting where teachers want to integrate computer use into the classroom.
Read Karee Smith's full review

LanSchool Scorecard Summary

What is LanSchool?

Lenovo offers LanSchool, a classroom management platform supporting collaboration, monitoring student activity, chat, teacher broadcasting / screen-sharing, and other features.