LibreOffice Reviews

Mauricio E Gleizer | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 09, 2019

LibreOffice, the best.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Here at GISMarxev I use LibreOffice every time I need to edit documents via PC. Those traditional industry documents such as text, spreadsheets, presentations, and PDF formats. Yes, you're right -- it's our substitute champion for the MS Office package, and not only for being completely costless, but also for two other important reasons:
1) It is functionally compatible with the Microsoft package for both opening and exporting files.
2) It maintains a simple and user-friendly interface that wisely hides the most sophisticated features from the average user.
Read Mauricio E Gleizer's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use LibreOffice through out the entire organization. It's mostly used for spreadsheets, data tracking, exporting and importing inventory via user-created .csv files and it's occasionally used for word processing and making signs in the retail store. The vast majority of users do very well with the minor differences from office, and not having to use the official licensing is a huge plus, especially when you have a front end that opens a document to merge with other data.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

LibreOffice is my default tool for document creation in my business and personal life. LibreOffice is a free and Open Source office suite application similar to Microsoft Office, it offers word processing, Spreadsheets, Publishing and presentation tools. As a small business operator, it provides considerable savings on the cost of a document creation software. And in not using a commercial application, I have not missed anything. LibreOffice does everything most commercial office suite software does, and more.
Javier Schwersensky | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

LibreOffice is being used selectively in the organization based on licenses we have for proprietary software (Microsoft Office 365) and some computers which are not part of our secure network, used mostly in presentations.

LibreOffice is a good alternative for us because, as a charity, we like to support community-based projects such as LibreOffice and also because it helps keep our IT licensing costs contained.
Read Javier Schwersensky's full review
Christopher Boyd | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

LibreOffice was reviewed within my company as a possible replacement to Office 365 (namely the desktop applications Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Whereas LibreOffice is an excellent program, ranking well above applications like Google Docs, it still isn't exactly a pop-in replacement for Microsoft Office. My disclaimer here is that I found LibreOffice to be excellent and would very much enjoy using it, if only it had an Outlook and OneNote application, or at least integrated with replacements for those smoothly elsewhere. Alas, the world of open source can be a little too open sometimes.

The aim was to replace Microsoft Office and not have to rely on Google Docs. We initially found LibreOffice to be very easy to use and incredibly user-friendly. The problems came when we needed (see: expected) to be able to just swap out Word or Excel for Writer or Calc. The default font settings, for example, are not the same between Word, Writer, and Google Docs. This led to confusion among users, despite it being configurable. We then had issues with the way Calc works versus Excel, and transitioning our spreadsheets over would have required reworking several of our formulas in large documents.

We ultimately didn't make the switch to LibreOffice due to the learning curve and nuances but are intending to review it again.
Read Christopher Boyd's full review
Laura Gatius | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It's very helpful for us because we are a very large corporation and we
needed an open-source free solution to use as an office suite. We use LibreOffice as an office suite. We edit, create, and print documents with it. We use it also to manage large files with data, like we would do with Excel.
Read Laura Gatius's full review
Miguel Useche | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2018

Best open Office suite

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It's used by all the organization to write all documents and to make spreadsheets. We use it because we want to have all documents in an open format that we know it will be maintained for multiple years. Also their price is lower so it helps the organization to save costs by avoiding the need of multiple licenses for an Office software.
Read Miguel Useche's full review
Md Shahinuzzaman | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

LibreOffice is a useful software for my research as I am using the Linux platform. It seems like the alternative of Microsoft office. I have been using it for writing my manuscript, solving difficult calculations and making high-quality presentations. LibreOffice is being used by our research group. LibreOffice is free of cost where other alternatives cost you money. Overall, we are satisfied with the LibreOffice.
Read Md Shahinuzzaman's full review
Igor Neumann | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I currently have Microsoft Office and LibrefOfice installed in my computer and use LibreOffice way more often for a couple of reasons... Mainly my job requires me to manipulate .csv files and Excel does a very poor job of opening it (it always assumes the delimiter character is ";" while I never saw it being used in my life, everyone - and their dogs - use "," as a delimiter), so you need to rename it to .txt in order for Excel to ask you), while LibreOffice always open it correctly. The other reason is its interface. Call me a dinosaur, but I'm still not a fan of the "ribbon" interface of MS Office, while LibreOffice's interface resemble the "legacy" (pre 2003) MS office interface.
The only program that I still prefer the MS option for is for presentations, but I still find PowerPoint BAD, so LibreOffice's Impress is even worse. (For context sake, I'm a designer used to Adobe Creative Cloud programs so it's natural to feel limited by presentation programs.) Im currently testing other alternatives for that.
Apart from that, LibreOffice offers some programs that are way superior to MS Office's options such as "Draw" (way better than Visio), its equation editor "Math" (way better than MS Office equation editor) and "Charts". So basically LibreOffice made most of its programs "as- ood" as MS alternatives (except Impress) and took some small MS Office features (Visio/equation editor/charts) and made them into full features programs as differential.

It does miss a key feature though... the CLOUD.

If you don't use Office365 Cloud features, PowerPoint isn't your main application, and aren't in love with the MS ribbon interface, LibreOffice is likely an as good (or better) option for you.
Read Igor Neumann's full review
Jerry Janes | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I have been using, and introducing/supporting clients to use, LibreOffice for over ten years. I began using OpenOffice over a decade ago and continued once it became LibreOffice a few years ago. I also shared it with my students over a decade of teaching, as I worked in poor, rural communities where proprietary solutions like MS Office were simply not viable.
Read Jerry Janes's full review
Jesús Noehi Posada Navarro | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use LibreOffice across the whole organization. Thanks to being free, it helps you to save money without losing any functionality while working with all kinds of Office files, like Docs or Sheets for example, which we use on a daily basis.
Read Jesús Noehi Posada Navarro's full review
January 31, 2019

A Viable Alternative

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I have used LibreOffice (and its code predecessors, StarOffice and OpenOffice) since 2000. Compatibility with MS Office has improved over the years. I used to maintain an MS Office license to interact with documents in their native format, but I have not longer found it necessary to do so.

All of our internal documents, including user manuals with images, tables of contents, and indexes are produced with LibreOffice. We have found it to be as stable, reliable, and versatile as any other office software product.

If we ever move, as an organization, to MS Office, it will be due to other needs beyond just document creation and editing. In the meantime, we will continue to use and donate to LibreOffice.
Linda Sasenick | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use LibreOffice for all of our word processing and spreadsheet needs, as a free, open-sourced substitute for Microsoft Office. It also offers a full "suite" of services, including presentations, drawing, and database, and most importantly, we've had very few problems converting from and to other vendors' formats with LibreOffice. For us, it is a low cost (free!) solution for written communications, data management (we primarily use the spreadsheet), and other spreadsheet functions.
Read Linda Sasenick's full review
Glen Mehn | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It's a replacement for MS Office. It was used across the organisation, particularly for internal collaboration and documents in a mixed (Windows/Mac/Linux) environment. Once we got finance to start using it they actually preferred it to Excel (had some statistical features) though there was a learning curve. It's particularly handy because it's free and able to be downloaded and avoids the upgrade/version compatibility cycle that we have had with MSO.
Read Glen Mehn's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I use LibreOffice for data cleaning in Calc. The portable version of this app is very useful for spot-case use where you don't want to fully install or use across multiple devices. This app is being used for data processing, cleaning, and ETL for databases and comma separated file/tab separated file manipulation.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I have used LibreOffice throughout my undergraduate degree, and later as the main offline office productivity suite on my Linux desktop. LibreOffice is a free and open-source office suite that includes applications for spreadsheet creation, word processing, presentations and database design. I use it to read documents, prepare presentations, and edit invoices.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I choose to use LibreOffice because of a few reasons. I like to support the Open-Source Community - yes LibreOffice is free. You can however make a donation to the project if you choose to show support for their efforts in continuing the project and making it better and better. I also like LibreOffice because it works across platforms. It will run Windows, Macintosh, and Linux. I use Windows and Linux both and they have the same product on both platforms; [this] is a big plus to me. For mobile devices, it is my understanding that they have a viewer for Android and the ability to edit on Android is still an experimental feature. Hope to see a full Android version someday. So, if you like LibreOffice and want to see it more robust on mobile devices, I would suggest letting them know and by making a donation for supporting the efforts.
Martin Malec | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It is being used by whole organization and it is still being used as the main office suite. Recently we purchased Office 365 and are gradually moving to MS Office being part of the O365 subscription. But anyway in the last 4 years the whole organization was using almost exclusively the LibreOffice suite, most of the company's documents are saved in OpenDocument format (.ods, .odt etc.) and these files tend be difficult to be converted to MS Office formats. LibreOffice is being used as a text editor (Writer) and table processor (Calc) mostly, with only exceptional use of Impress for presentations and Base for connecting to a MySQL database and doing some edits there via forms.
Read Martin Malec's full review
AK Cyrway | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I use it primarily on my own desktop at work, as an offline office suite to meet my needs. I use it primarily for word processing and spreadsheets, though on the occasion utilise the database functions as well. It is an affordable, open source powerhouse to Microsoft Office and is easy to pick up regardless of what office suite used in the past.
Read AK Cyrway's full review
Curt Dickman | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

This review is primarily directed to small businesses. I own a small auto repair business and use LibreOffice to generate all documents not created by my invoicing program. It is easy to use for making letters, labels, business cards - anything I need to produce. I have used it to view PowerPoint presentations, and it worked trouble free. I really like the export as pdf function. Whenever I need to attach a document to an email this ensures compatibility.

My wife is a nurse and is required to use state provided forms in one of the Microsoft formats. LibreOffice has worked well with these documents.
We both use fully encrypted Linux installs, so I am unable to compare with Microsoft Office. I don't use spreadsheets or databases, so I can't comment on their use. I have read some of the documentation on their use, and they appear to be quite functional.

For a small business that doesn't want to spend the money on Microsoft Office, give LibreOffice a try.
Read Curt Dickman's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We deploy LibreOffice to dozens of users that don't need a full, paid office suite and just need the basic functionality. If someone does not need the full MS Office suite LibreOffice is a great alternative and at a great price. Even businesses that don't need the full MS Suite or Outlook, in particular, can benefit from LibreOffice.

About LibreOffice

LibreOffice is an open-source Office Suite from The Document Foundation.