SolarWinds Loggly Reviews

December 22, 2020
Walter Justet | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have several apps running on AWS EKS (Kubernetes on AWS), and we've used Loggly as a central repository of the logs for PHP-based apps with different frameworks, and also for the server running these apps. At the time of implementation, AWS didn't have a good central logs tool with reports, aggregate, and analysis from different sources taking into account that this application runs in autoscaling and highly available containers that are being constantly replaced.
  • Multiple sources for the logs, the amount of log sources available in Loggly is amazing! You can log from almost everything you can have running out there.
  • The charts and dashboards, it's really easy to find and see the information you need to find problems you might be having without noticing.
  • Centralization and aggregation, having multiple auto-scalable microservices running Loggly makes it really easy to centralize and aggregate all the data coming from these microservices.
  • The volume pricing scheme is tricky, as usually, you don't need more features but just more volume. I think a big improvement would some per/GB/MB pricing scheme if the volume is so important and not the 200MB, 1GB, and 100GB per day jumps that forces you to be controlling how much you log because, usually in the case of an incident, you can have more than 1GB per day but then on a normal day volume can fall below 200MB.
I think Loggly is a really strong solution when you have a lot of different sources of information (applications, services, cloud infrastructures) that you need to centralize to correlate in case of incidents, audits, or application improvement.
Not using ready-to-use dashboards at the moment. As we have many sources, we prefer some customization on them.
Read Walter Justet's full review
December 08, 2020
Sean Patterson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Loggly to better monitor and debug a large scale application platform that is leveraging multiple microservices. We also have it configured into our web application talking to these services. Loggly provides us detailed information across all four environments (development, QA, UAT, Production) that enables us to better analyze and consolidate activity that can be interrelated at times.
  • Aggregation
  • Filtering
  • Detailed Information
  • Configuration
  • Visualization
  • Organization
Loggly is well suited to be a "catch all" for information that you don't need to have highly sorted/analyzed. It is schemaless in nature, which makes it a great fit for web logs, server logs, and other types of information. Because it is schemaless, it will not be a good for for situations where you need to aggregate and track specific log information.
We have only used the basic dashboards to create basic filters of the content that we need. Even with the basic filters it was easy to target a specific environment and a specific logging level to view the details we need. The timeline filter was particularly useful in this regard. It's options are setup to hit the "sweet spot" of not being too granular or generic.
Read Sean Patterson's full review
December 15, 2020
Loggly is a neat a straight forward product. We use to centralize most of our application and security logs, including WAF data which we then transform into nice dashboards for quick overviews
  • Ingestion
  • Dashboards
  • Alerts
  • User management
  • SSO
Setup is quick and easy, and Loggly documentation already provides the necessary steps for most systems.
We don't really use ready-to-use dashboards (I wasn't even aware of them), but we do make our own dashboards for several purposes. There is some room for improvement on the segmentation of data sources, however.
December 11, 2020
We use SolarWinds Loggly extensively in our cloud offerings, not across the whole organization. Using Loggly allows us to focus on real business needs, instead of development and management in-house log solution. Loggly helps a lot with troubleshooting searching, filtering, usage analysis, and graphical presentation of logs. The best feature is easy narrowing down of results by log message parameters.
  • Intuitive step-by-step filtering by message attributes.
  • Collapsing/extending log event data.
  • Flexible log list presentation with selection of attributes to present.
  • Graphical presentation of log events.
  • Ability to filter out specific type of messages from the list to focus on important ones. Filter by example.
  • Ability to send separate streams with cheaper cost and deeper storage, slower access times on demand only in specific cases.
Works well, helps to focus on real business.
We didn't use dashboard from Lightly. We use Data Dog
December 11, 2020
We use it as the main tool for all logs that are being generated within Pernod Ricard applications. Both public and internal apps are supposed to send the logs the generate to Loggly.
It helps us to manage from a single point the access to that logs. Thus, we do not have to administer several tools.
  • The search engine particularly quick.
  • The ability to separate the access to various namespaces.
  • Sometimes the filters for the requests fail and we do not know why
  • We had issues with the SSO : the users had access to all the namespaces
If you have a lot of different tools hosted on various environments (either on Cloud platforms or not), organizations and you would like to centralize all of them, Loggly may be the right choice.
We have never used ready-to-use dashboards so far... But I am curious to discover the feature!
December 09, 2020
Loggly is being used by all of our applications across the company by our engineering staff. Loggly helps our engineers accurately filter and sort logs to help debugging test and production code. To help our engineers with debugging their code our Loggly system is setup to work with SolarWinds AppOptics to pin-point errors when they occur.
  • Easily takes sys-log connections from an app's standard output.
  • Easy to navigate the user interface.
  • Begins ingesting logs as soon as the connection to an app is made.
  • Having to add users to Loggly after having created them in AppOptics could be improved.
  • When search parameters are too specific Loggly often has a hard time filtering for what I'm looking for.
  • While it's easy to navigate, the UI isn't very pretty.
SolarWinds Loggly is well suited for an business that needs a logging system that integrates with an APM system. SolarWinds has made a great effort to tie their systems together to help companies maintain uptime across their systems. Loggly would be less appropriate for companies that manufacture embedded systems for example.
Our engineering team has created their own dashboards to monitor their own micro services. The ready to use dashboards are fine if your company doesn't have a need for a complex logging setup, but custom dashboards are more personalized for your teams and easy to set up. There is nothing wrong with the ready-to-use dashboards however.
October 02, 2020
Ciaran Kendellen | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Loggly as an aggregation point to stream logs from network access switches and core routers. There can be quite a lot of data and existing solutions relied on older database technologies which broke down after a time and we'd have to manually intervene to truncate tables, etc. Loggly manages the entire process for us and just works.
  • Keeps working!
  • Fast searches.
  • Easy to configure searches - you don't have to be an expert in RegExp...
  • Not all searches are intuitive.
  • We have to use a log aggregating device to ship our logs to Loggly as our network devices can not connect on an encrypted protocol. I would prefer if we could use some sort of VPN-based connector to ship logs securely.
  • Sometimes when drilled down, it can be difficult to fully reset a search term to back all the way out of a drill down.
It is well suited to very large volumes of logs where the immediate past is the area of interest, e.g. in situations where the issues are in the recent past. Loggly makes it very easy to search for particular terms of interest, within a specific time frame across the entire estate of devices or, indeed, within a subset, or on a specific device of interest. There does seem to be a short delay in the logs though, even with the "live tail" feature, Loggly might be less suited to "emerging" situations where the issues are occurring in real time.
We haven't used any of the preconfigured dashboards so far. They seem only suited to development environments and probably suit services oriented or event based architectures very well. I guess we have a very specific use-case being an internet service provider and this wasn't considered by the Loggly developers, so there aren't any preconfigured dashboards we can use.
We had a bumpy start to using Loggly, as mentioned the documentation to get our log aggregator connecting to Loggly was massively out of date and none of the provided snippets worked. We set-up originally on rSyslog as it *seems* to be what Loggly prefers, but when the provided configuration snippets didn't work we had to fall back on a syslog-ng aggregator to rely on our own expertise. It was needed too, as the config snippets provided for syslog-ng didn't work either!
After I signed up I was repeatedly contacted by the pre-sales guy to asking if I was going to sign up - he couldn't find our account and questioned me multiple times, multiple times I provided the email address I used to sign up and he still couldn't find the account I was using - seemed a little unprofessional to me...
Read Ciaran Kendellen's full review
September 29, 2020
Eric Cobb | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a small startup that makes training and marketing software. Our platform is our entire business, and we use Loggly for a few things:

* Aggregating all of our logs.
* Deriving metrics from our logs.
* Sending alerts to our team when those metrics change in some way that matters to us.
  • Putting our logs in one place and making them searchable. We use AWS, and CloudWatch has always been a little frustrating in this regard (though it has gotten better recently).
  • Deriving metrics from our logs. I think log-based metrics is such a good idea because your logs are the ultimate source for truth in regards to what the hell is going on inside your app. I have really loved the simplicity with which I can just count certain statements and call that a metric because just through the normal course of development certain log statements just naturally become a straightforward recording of an event having occurred.
  • Alerts. I actually have a few complaints about email alerts, but just the way I was able to set them up so easily has been huge. Since we started using Loggly, there have been at least 3 bugs that Loggly exposed that were frankly very bad. And withoutt Loggly or without a user reporting them, we would have never known they were happening! This is stuff I tried to set up in CloudWatch in various ways, but because of my own ignorance or perhaps the complexity/limitations of CloudWatch (or the complexity of my stack?), I wasn't getting the information that I needed until I was able to just tell Loggly to send me an email whenever the word "error" showed up.
  • I would love the ability to able to suppress a particular "event" instead of an entire alert. For example, sometimes an error is caught and handled but the word "error" is still printed to the logs. It would be nice if I could mark an event as "handled" without suppressing the entire alert for n minutes- if I do that then I would miss a real error that happened in that window. Also if I have my alerts set to run every minute checking the last five minutes, I will get 5 emails. It would be nice if there was some de-duplication. I have actually considered setting up webhooks into some API of my own instead of just emails to do this.
  • I find the query language to be a little cumbersome. I suspect this is something you guys inherited from whatever index you use, but things like the __exists__ flag are strange. If I just type something into the field I am often surprised that I have to put quotation marks in (instead of it just searching for the term I supplied without any advanced features).
  • Derived fields sometimes frustrate me, especially when I am using regex. I will sometimes create regexes that work in a test bed but do not work in Loggly. It is frustrating that I always have to match the beginning and the end of the string.
  • The dashboards can be frustrating, especially when I am just trying to put a single number metric in a chart. I should be able to create a chart with multiple metrics: multiple charts with a single metric in each takes up a ton of space and limits the usability of the dashboard
I think even for a small organization, and perhaps more so for a small organization, Loggly would be super valuable. There have been several issues that we simply wouldn't know about without Loggly. I lose sleep over that. Our stack isn't *super* complicated, but like (I suspect) many, even a relatively uncomplicated stack can generate a ton of logs from disparate sources. For example, I often use lambdas for "glue code" and without a centralized Loggly tool tracking what is going on in some of these flows was very difficult. The alarms are great. Some of my complaints in the last screen are the only thing preventing me from giving it a perfect 10.
I use dashboards extensively but do not use any of the built in ones. My dashboards are all created from metrics that I have defined.

I think the most useful dashboards are just numbers. I have some that show me error counts, average request times, etc. These have helped me identify when I am getting abnormal amounts of unauthorized errors, which helped me identify quickly that someone had used an incorrect CSV to email a bunch of users bad sign-up links. I have created a chart of my common API requests which helped me identify a bug in my client code that was essentially ddosing myself. Lastly, average request times and outliers (max request time) have helped me identify and fix slow queries.
Loggly has provided good support the few times I have had to reach out. I reached out about some questions with using regex in my queries and I was very busy, and ultimately the issue was closed without giving me an answer because I guess I wasn't responding quickly enough. I totally get that, but I hope they had enough info to look into the problem (I haven't tried it again).
Read Eric Cobb's full review
August 28, 2020
Chad Scates | TrustRadius Reviewer
Loggly is being used across the support and engineering organization to provide us with an alerting, monitoring, and issue triage solution. It allows the company to have a more flexible approach to issue triage where we don't have to custom code a solution for every possible issue initially. We instrument the calls as the flow through the system so that we can look at the data after the fact. When we find common issues worth monitoring more actively we add alerts and charts to let us keep tighter tabs on the issue and if it makes sense we eventually code point solutions around that issue. With this approach we allow real-world issues to dictate where we spend our time with a "lazy load" approach to the solution.
  • Quick filtering of data
  • Effective and flexible alerting system
  • Simple user interface
  • The charting feature takes some time to figure out how to use effectively.
  • It takes some time and effort to figure out best practices for how to use the product. It is actually so easy to use initially that it is easy to make poor decisions in logging schema.
I have loved using it for monitoring web solutions with extensive RESTful APIs as a way to quickly see how your system is functioning and as an independent mechanism for evaluating API uptime and performance.
Read Chad Scates's full review
October 02, 2020
Simon Clarke | TrustRadius Reviewer
We previously had a very disjointed way of gathering, searching and responding to issues that where logged from our systems and apps, implementing Loggly across the whole of our server estate has enabled us to track down issues quickly, allowing them to be dealt with efficiently and with minimal issues to the company.
We are able to log different areas of the business, grouping systems and apps. this allows our searching and history tracing for logs to be much more effective.
  • The collection tools for Loggly are very strong and the setup for those tools is incredibly easy.
  • Support are fairly quick to respond and super helpful.
  • Capturing and interrogating logs is easy across many deployments, platforms and devices.
  • Sometimes queries don't work as you think they should.
  • Getting data arranged so that everything comes to play is fiddly.
  • Daily data limits can be a pain if you have a spike in logging.
Loggly was brought in when we where trying to trace issues down on our domain, by having it implemented across our Domain Controllers, we were able to find and resolve our known issues very quickly.
The querying system could do with a better FAQ or guidance as when trying to run a structured query, sometimes no data is found even though you can definitely see that data by manual search.
We have used the IIS, Windows and Cloudtrail dashboards, having them pre configured enabled us to search for things an awful lot quicker then us having to try and piece together dashboards, however we have then created many of our own!
The support team have been great when we have logged tickets or had issues, most of the time it is down to user training, however we have had a couple of bugs that they have been able to iron out for us.
Read Simon Clarke's full review
Richard Davies | TrustRadius Reviewer
My team manages the content management system for our local government website. We use Loggly to collect logs from our Drupal website and send us email notifications when certain log thresholds are reached in order to alert us to potential issues with the website.
  • Aggregate logs from different sources.
  • Easily sort and filter logs based on ad-hoc parameters.
  • Create charts based on logs.
  • Can be difficult to send logs to Loggly depending on your source and how much flexibility/control you have over your source system.
Loggly is well suited for any situation where you need to aggregate logs from various sources or systems into a central location where they can be centrally searched, monitored, analyzed, and/or filtered.
We have not used this feature yet.
Read Richard Davies's full review
September 10, 2020
Tomer Sofer | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Loggly to troubleshoot our systems and getting better understanding about our overall performance and health. This tool helps us visualize simply trends by using its dashboard, tracks occurrences and even as monitoring tool by leveraging its alarms capabilities. As of today Loggly is being used in many LivePerson business units however some are using different tools like Kibana for example.
  • Simple search.
  • Great visualization.
  • Easy to use.
  • Very practical.
  • Maybe examples of advanced filtering.
Every respectable software company would log its application for tracking and monitoring. In many cases, developers tend to log too many things and eventually it's becoming a mess to understand what is going on. Loggly is helping you to find what you need easily inside all of this pile of information and that's not trivial.
I can think only about the benefits at this point:
1. Investigate production issues.
2. Visualize trend.
3. Count occurrence.
4. Exporting data.
Will speak for myself here, as of today I am not not leveraging these templates and rather building them myself. I know others are using this capability however I didn't invest much time or explore it yet. The thing is, it's fairly easy doing it yourself and so far it meets my needs.
Read Tomer Sofer's full review
September 07, 2020
Tyler Carter | TrustRadius Reviewer
SolarWinds Loggly is used by the IT department. The chief focus is logging application errors and warnings to be able to detect problems with our system, as well as understand informational messages surrounding those warnings and errors.
  • Detecting logs messages for alerts
  • Log drill-downs through attributes
  • Bringing various sources together
  • Charts/metrics
  • Understanding and adapting to specific formats
  • Docker system ingesting
Logging application output for several applications or across different systems is done well with SolarWinds Loggly. Single applications are overkill. Charts and metrics are not its strong suit, but instead, the primary strength seems to be identifying individual log messages instead of tracing. Good at alerting for particular problems.
None. Many of the PHP dashboards assume a clean log environment, where many of our legacy systems issue “ errors” that aren’t actually problematic. So the dashboard we use must be custom.
Read Tyler Carter's full review
September 19, 2020
Loggly is one of the ways that allow us to possibly capture the behavior of our software applications both during development and when they are running live. Our Development Teams can add logging to their code and they and site reliability engineers can investigate when the information is logged. Incident management has set up some alerts against particular messages to possibly warn before potential service disruptions occur.
  • It can log whatever a developer decides to add information about.
  • Zooming in on a particular time frame is helpful.
  • The ability to tag/label events.
  • Once the logging limit is exceeded, there are no logs period. Unexpectedly noisy logs often correlate with services misbehaving and potentially leading to disruption. An outage is an awful time to lose visibility into the entire system of apps. Some ways to bridge this gap would be appreciated.
  • Filtering by tags is not intuitive in the web interface. You may believe that you are performing the same search and filter as last time since the tags entered are the same, however, this is often not the case. The reliable way to know that you have the same filter is to bookmark the URL. This lack of ease in usability results in devs using Loggly less than they could and implementing logs less effectively during development time (since they don't consider themselves likely to view them anyway).
  • Would like to see a way to onboard our less experienced devs to using Loggly effectively.
This is a good choice if you have developers that understand using logging levels appropriately (i.e. not simply blasting every possible piece of information to logs, knowing to use debug and info levels). If you have people who know how to set up alerts based on logs, you can find it very useful also. However, if you are missing a critical mass of this experience and skill level at your organization, you'll find your logs are very noisy and hard to search through for what you want, subsequently degrading devs' enthusiasm for learning and using them. Furthermore, you may often hit your logging limit and lose logs during critical times. Use this solution if you're confident your technical folks are up to speed on effective logging practices.
As far as I can tell, people at my organization do not use the ready-to-use dashboards and/or are not aware of them. I have not used them to troubleshoot. We attempt to filter by time frame and by tags that indicate environments and service names. Development teams look for their own services' tags.
October 06, 2020
It is being used now by our IT department, specifically by our dev team. It helps address our business continuity and as well as troubleshooting for our in-house software solutions we recently launched.
  • Easy enough to set up between our Azure environment and our on-prem.
  • Customizable to our needs.
  • No noticeable limitations to logging.
  • There was once a difficult issue to assess where the logs were occurring/transferring far too often, costing us additional data charges in Azure. Would be nice to have built in alerts for this kind of abnormal behavior.
Very useful for hybrid environments, like Azure and on-prem.
Just the basic default dashboard has been enough.
I haven't used support myself but my colleagues in the dev team said it was sufficient.
October 05, 2020
Loggly is currently being used in one of our systems for troubleshooting server and application issues and to making sure our transactions correlate. Currently, it is only in one of our systems but it will definitely expand to our other systems due to the powerful troubleshooting and very fast searching capability of Loggly.
  • Very fast searching capabilities.
  • Easily handles huge volumes of logs.
  • Searches are not always very intuitive.
  • User management is not the best.
Loggly is an easy-to-set-up log management tool and very well suited for those times where you need to aggregate logs from various sources and systems into a central location where they can be centrally searched, monitored, analyzed, and/or filtered to help maintain uptime on various systems. Loggly would not be as appropriate for companies that produce embedded systems.
Our engineering team uses customized dashboards for monitoring of their microservices. The ready to use dashboards are on its own also very powerful and can easily be used for targeting specific environments with specific logging levels to the details required. The timeline filter is also very useful and we use it on a regular basis.
It is a very powerful system to use with good support. It is a bit difficult to onboard a new developer onto the system but with enough time spent on it, it becomes easier.
October 05, 2020
As we provide a PaaS to both internal employees and our partners, SolarWinds Loggly is essential to monitoring and diagnosing our cloud-based infrastructure. It's been essential for both our development team and our IT group to monitor usage and performance while also identifying and resolving any issues that come up.
  • Fast setup and deployment.
  • Very customizable.
  • Searching and sorting relevant data is intuitive.
  • It's not free.
  • Won't run stand-alone on-premises.
  • Doesn't look as slick as some other alternatives.
Loggly is primarily useful for combining logs into one centralized location. The insights that the dashboards provide also allow us to identify bottlenecks between microservices. We've had multiple instances where the ability to filter logs by keywords and seeing multiple servers' logs at the same time helped identify problems immediately. This has saved us days of troubleshooting.
Among Loggly's ready-to-use dashboards, we've found the dashboards for Java, Linux, and the various web servers to be especially useful. The Java dashboard allows us to very quickly identify when a lot of Java exceptions are being thrown which can be caused by other issues. The Linux dashboard was helpful in identifying if a server is sending an exceptionally large amount of events. The web server dashboards are especially helpful identifying problematic pages or high volume visitors and/or services.
Support from Loggly has been very good. From the sales agent to support requests, everyone is prompt and friendly.
October 01, 2020
Loggly is our centralized logging and alerting service. It's part of our overall monitoring solution which also includes Prometheus, InfluxDB, and Grafana. It was initially only used by the Software Development and Cloud Engineering teams but has grown to also include Support and Operations.
  • Vendor-hosted and fully managed.
  • It performs reasonably well.
  • User management is awful (deleted users are "renamed" and still appear in the system; no SSO).
  • Pricing is too high, given the limited features (yes, it's cheaper than many alternatives but they offer much more functionality).
  • UI feels clunky and dated.
  • Only 2 customer tokens allowed - why?
  • Pricing only based on basic ingestion/retention values - what about e.g. retaining ERROR logs for longer than DEBUG logs, or retaining PROD logs longer than DEV logs?
Loggly is only well-suited for young projects. Great to get a fully-managed hosted logging solution set up with only a few clicks, but once you have any real complexity (multiple services and environments) or more than a few GB/day worth of log volume the weaknesses really start to show.
October 01, 2020
Loggly allows us to collect the logs from our various services in our solution and see them in one place.
  • Loggly is easy to integration. If you can make JSON from your logs you can use it. Adding it to a Python stack was trivial. Standard python logging, Loggly backend.
  • Easy user management to allow people see view the logs.
  • Documented API to retrieve and query the logs.
  • The search interface. It remembers the last time window you chose. So you constantly are looking at the wrong logs.
  • Everything is chunked on words. So searching for say an email address does not consistently work be it breaks someone@somewhere.com into someone, somewhere, com.
  • filtering in the results is quite limited. Copy and paste is often broken by how the results are displayed.
  • Finding the link to share a particular log is a process of frustration of finding just the right place to click to make the buttons appear.
Having all of the data in great. Not being able to find it is not so great. The promise of charting is alluring but it is hard to create charts that show what I am interested in seeing. I currently sift through the site but also do a fair amount using the API instead.
None of the provided dashboards suited our needs.
October 01, 2020
We use SolarWinds Loggly to monitor one specific server. Our clients need us to deliver reliably and thorough monitoring is essential for reliability. Monitoring the log files of the server helps us to detect issues before they affect the system.
We monitor operating system, web server and application logs. This allows us to detect load peaks, issues in the application, attempted attacks or any other anomalies early.
  • A key feature for me is drilling down logs, finding what I am looking for quickly.
  • Creating graphs and dashboards for important information at a glance.
  • Setting alarms in case something unexpected happens.
  • Adding log sources is easy.
  • Users that want to use Loggly to its full power need to invest some time.
  • It's not very cheap.
  • I struggled adding logs with dynamic names.
I think that Loggly is suitable for all projects where constant and reliable log monitoring is needed and where the price matches the project's capacity. The price might be a show stopper for smaller companies or projects.
Loggly is also very good to monitor logs from many servers at once, a feature that I don't use but would recommend doing if applicable.
I used the predefined nginx and Linux dashboards. They are interesting and help understanding which information you can get from Loggly. But generally I would recommend tailoring your own. It's really easy.
September 30, 2020
It's currently being used by the IT/Engineering team for managing log across different stacks we use at the backend. Purely for log analysis and issue resolutions. It's generally useful for us to pinpoint unusual traffic in various services and also have notifications via email setup in place for reporting critical errors.
  • Great search experience.
  • Good buffer to handle one off data volumes exceeding plan limits.
  • Awesome alert mechanism with filters & threshold.
  • No proper key indexing for logs synced via default lambda blueprint.
  • Tag based filtering disappear while looking nearby events.
Works well for log analysis, search, tracing issue/related logs. Good & reliable integrations with sdk for almost all stacks.
Not very familiar with custom dashboards based on log sources.
September 29, 2020
Loggly was used by a particular department/product line. It was used only at the free tier and by a team with minimal operations experience. The setup and configuration were very simple and straight-forward. It enabled centralized log management for a team that otherwise wouldn't have had this in place. Ease of use and free tier were the primary factors in the decision to use this service.
  • Ease of setup
  • Intuitive UX
  • Response times are fast
  • The system seemed to lack the power (AI anomaly detection) of other offerings, but we were only on the free tier.
  • No advanced features were evaluated.
For a small team looking to get up and running quickly, it's perfect. For more advanced teams with dedicated staff, I'd probably not recommend this solution and stick with the heavy hitters in this vertical.
We didn't leverage any of the prebuilt dashboards. This was a solution intended to be a scrappy log aggregator/search and it did that well.
September 16, 2020
We use Loggly to satisfy a compliance requirement for centralized logging. Loggly is used on every PC across the whole organization to aggregate logs for auditing, analytic, and alert purposes. We also push logs from firewalls, switches, and wireless access points for network log visibility. Loggly helps identify patterns and anomalies that may otherwise be undetected.
  • Creating alerts for specific events is very easy.
  • Data visualizations are easy to configure; some are baked in.
  • The price of Loggly is well below all other cloud logging tools I reviewed.
  • Extra pre-baked dashboards would be useful.
  • Searching for multiple conditions sometimes fails even when each of the fields can be found individually within a log message.
  • Documentation to configure S3 archives needs to be updated to reflect the current Loggly GUI options.
Loggly is best suited for large organizations where laptops are frequently taken into the field where users may neglect to connect to a VPN back to a facility with onsite centralized logging. The price also makes Loggly attractive as the features match other higher priced solutions. Loggly is very easy to configure, deploy, and tweak when compared to other major hitters like Graylog.
We use the pre-baked Windows dashboard as well as a custom one we created for Sophos log activity. None of the other dashboards are useful to us as they are strongly geared toward app development. Security, compliance, and network statistic based dashboards would greatly improve the dashboards feature and pull a larger audience to this tool.
September 08, 2020
SolarWinds Loggly is used for centralized application logging, search, and graphing. It is used by Engineering, Quality Assurance, Tech Operations, Tech Support, and Services Org to quickly search and locate application errors, metadata and event count. Loggly built-in features enable trending and performance tracking of the full application stack.
  • Visually represent event count via bar graphs.
  • Statistical function for graphing medium and 95th percentile performance metrics.
  • Fast return of search results.
  • Supports log streaming via Fluent.
  • The price model for the log ingestion rate is rigid and pushes for a higher usage commitment for companies with variable log generation due to weekly or monthly patterns.
  • Does not support long term cold storage as an option for uploaded logs.
  • Limited to no integration with other Solarwinds MSP product lines.
Excellent performance and service reliability. Easy and intuitive web GUI. The option of multiple accounts to separate access and log aggregation between Dev/QA, staging and production environments. Easy to implement and supports multiple log streaming methods. Logs can be categorized and configured to restrict access.
Performance metric platform from application logs allowing NOC to detect issues early and correlate with infrastructure events.
September 05, 2020
My company was looking for a centralized logging platform so we tested with Loggly. It was being used by our IT team to monitor network devices as well as security and by our developers to monitor certain Windows event logs, as well as database logs.
  • Centralized logging: having logging for multiples sites (networks) all under one roof was really nice.
  • Customer support: the customer support was outstanding when we had issues with our deployment of our first nxlog configuration.
  • Ease of use: though there is a small learning curve, once conquered, Loggly becomes a very handy tool when needing to pull up past events or logs.
  • nxlog: having to use another piece of software is a bummer
  • nxlog configuration: the learning curve for nxlog is monumental and not very intuitive
  • 1:1 Alerting: Loggly does not support this which is ultimately why my company is looking elsewhere. The alerting does not mesh well those who want login and logout alerts in real-time
I feel Loggly is designed more for the developer's side of things. Loggly was clunky to implement for network device monitoring and didn't meet our needs when it came to security alerts. Though checking for Windows event logs or any sort of process logs it is a breeze, it did not check all the boxes it needed to for us to implement.
I used a custom search Dashboard when troubleshooting our Network device logs. We were able to tag certain traffic and just have results of anything from that tag over the last x number of minutes. Being able to stop for the day and pick up right where I left off the next day made those dashboards really handy.

What is SolarWinds Loggly?

Unified Log Analysis and Log Monitoring

With environments spanning on-premises, hybrid, and public cloud environments, IT operations and application teams are inundated with unrelated events, issues, and logs. Every outage or slowdown directly impacts the business, either in lost productivity or lost revenue. Issues must be diagnosed rapidly and resolved across all the dynamically changing components underpinning your heterogeneous web applications, services, and infrastructure.

SolarWinds® Loggly® is presented by the vendor as a cost-effective, hosted, and scalable full-stack, multi-source log management solution combining powerful search and analytics with comprehensive alerting, dashboarding, and reporting to proactively identify problems and significantly reduce Mean Time to Repair (MTTR).