Logic Pro X

Logic Pro X Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

I use Logic Pro X to edit and mix sound for promotional and explainer videos, and compose original music (primarily for video music tracks). This involves importing or recording narration, adding music and sound effects, mixing (often to picture via the movie feature), then exporting to Adobe Premiere. Logic Pro X is a comprehensive platform that handles all aspects of audio post production for us.
  • Incredible breadth of features... it feels like there's literally nothing the program can't do
  • Time stretching... amazing features to change tempo and length with adding sonic weirdness of pitch changes
  • Vast library of virtual instruments and effects included in purchase
  • File management for underlying resources (samples, etc.) is complex
We use to LPX to produce "down-and-dirty" musical snippets to serve as soundtracks for short explainer and marketing videos. As these are generally done for the tech industry, the tracks skew towards electronica and don't have to be particularly innovative or unusual sounding. FPX is brilliant for this -- out of the box, the vast collection of instruments and effects make it really easy to just layout cool-enough background music. The "Drummer" feature is especially helpful, as it instantly gives the music a custom drum track.

We also do simple sound editing... mostly just timing out voice over and limited sound effects to picture (which you can do in FPX), and mixing it to background music. While FPX might not be the best tool for really complex editing/mixing, is more than adequate for our purposes.

Logic Pro X is used primarily in one department, our events department. Its used for audio production and editing for event or virtual event assets where needed. We use other similar software as well, but we like to have Logic available for those that are more familiar with this software than others.
  • Audio Editing
  • Midi Editing and composition
  • Audio mix down and mastering
  • Live music performance, although we don't use this feature in our business
  • No windows support, but this will likely never change
  • Workflow is great for audio editing but not so great for composition
  • Score editing is somewhat outdated, other software like FL Studio and Ableton Live have modernized this feature.
Creative businesses living in a "Mac world" will find Logic Pro X fits into their workflow very well, Logic Pro X runs particularly well on the new M1 chips.
I wouldn't suggest migrating to Logic Pro X if a business is primarily PC users with a strong PC workflow, there are other very similar alternatives.
However if mobility is important there is no better option other to run Logic Pro X on a Mac Book Pro or M1 Mac Book.
Beth Loeb Davies | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Logic Pro X to edit our podcast. It's currently used by just one person on our two-person team.
  • Stable and reliable--never worry that we'll lose content.
  • UI is uncluttered
  • Was easy to transition from GarageBand to Logic Pro X
  • Logic Pro X is designed for music editing, so the help documents and videos don't often address my needs--would love tutorials for podcasts
  • It's designed for someone with more technical expertise than I have, so it can be overwhelming at times
  • Would like to color code segments more easily
I recommend it to others who are doing podcasts. I started with GarageBand and lost some files, so switched to Logic Pro X after learning that features within it would have allowed the files to be recovered. Once I learned the basic features that I needed, I found it to be easy to use and stable.
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Logic Pro X as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) for multitrack recording and music production. It is my preferred DAW on Mac OS X and I use it on-the-go on my MacBook Pro laptop when I am traveling or on-site at various studios. I'm able to quickly throw together songs that are used as music beds for commercials, product demos, instructional videos, and rich media EPUB 3 ebooks.
  • Interface - I find the Logic Pro X user interface intuitive and easy to use.
  • Mixing - The mixer bay of Logic Pro X is excellent and allows you to see at an instant what levels everything is playing at. I much prefer it to some of its competitors who make it difficult to see the whole mixer all at once. Logic Pro X emulates analog mixing and does as great job at it.
  • Soft-Synth and MIDI Sequencing - I love the MIDI sequencer in Logic Pro X. I've struggled with a number of "piano roll" features, or step sequencers, but Logic Pro X has an intuitive and straightforward way of recording and sequencing MIDI notes that works quite well for me.
  • PC Support - Logic Pro X is Mac-only and that prevents me from using it in conjunction with PC software.
  • Window Configuration - Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the different windows and wish it were easier to navigate. There are screensets that you can toggle between, which is a step in the right direction, but I can't help but feel some of the UI is unnecessarily cluttered.
  • Automation - There is a long-standing bug where you have to start playback where an envelope begins, in certain cases, for the automation to work. If you start in the middle, the automated plugin will have the wrong value.
Logic Pro X is a must for Mac-based music production, recording, and mixing environments. It's great for on-the-fly recording and arrangement, such as when traveling or on-site with a Mac laptop. It's also great when you need to quickly arrange music for any number of applications, or compose a new song using VST plugins or MIDI instruments.

Logic Pro X is impossible to use in a PC environment, so I would not recommend trying to use it on a Mac as a secondary computer in any music studio that is PC-based.
The user community of Logic Pro X is vibrant, responsive, and lively. There are many great forums out there where you can solve any problem you encounter, whether it's sound card latency, a certain plugin not working, audio routing, multitrack issues, or virtually anything else you run into. The community is so helpful that I'm giving Logic Pro X a 10 in this department, despite having never contacted their official support department. I've never had to, since there is such a great user community.
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
My job is a composer for film, television and advertising, so Logic Pro is where I spend most of my time and where I get the most work done. I literally can't do my job without the right DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), and Logic Pro is one of the most versatile in the industry.
  • Integration with all Apple products.
  • Easy to learn.
  • Faster update schedule.
  • Windows version would be helpful.
Most composers I know are Mac-based, and that makes Logic the choice for many. What that means is that collaborating with other composer and musicans is easy, because most of us are working in the same DAW. Logic, overall, has a simple looking interface, but below the surface it's got everything you'd ever need to score a film and then some.
The few times I've had to reach out to Apple for support, they're fast and answer my question. Also, the ability to go into an Apple Store and talk to someone in person about Logic is invaluable - they even have free classes on using the software for beginners! Apple is unparalleled in its support compared to most companies.
January 27, 2020

Logic for students!

I use Logic Pro X as a music teacher to help develop arrangements for my students. I have also used it a bit in teaching children the basics of music production.
  • Intuitive
  • Being an Apple product, kids are familiar with the interface
  • Tutorials could be better
Logic Pro X is probably the easiest music production software to use with the lowest barrier of entry. It is thus well suited for beginners and students.
Haven't needed much support but the tutorials could be better
Our church currently uses Logic Pro X in several ways, in a couple of different departments. We currently use it for live recording, live instrumentation, editing pre-recorded services, and for editing audio for video use. Logic Pro has been fantastic at helping us capture and edit the fantastic quality of audio for our different uses.
  • Recording live audio.
  • Editing audio.
  • Ease of use.
  • Interface controls.
Logic Pro X is fantastic for people who are bought into Apple's 'walled garden' approach to apps. It's a safe download from the Mac App Store, is easy to install on multiple Macs, and Is fairly inexpensive considering its value. We have had excellent success with its capabilities for capturing and recording live audio, as well as editing for use in video or posting tracks for download. However, it is incredibly complex and has a steep learning curve if one wishes to go deeper into the software.
Apple's support, as usual, is fantastic. Their web support is filled with many articles covering many of the issues you may have. However, where it's incredibly helpful is visiting the local Apple Store when there are issues that online support can't solve. It's great to be able to talk with a real-life human who has experience with the software when you're having issues.
Michael Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
As the audio Engineer, I use Logic Pro X in our company for recording and music production.
  • Logic Pro X is the best that I've found for music production. It's just more intuitive and has better features that lend itself to recording and mixing music tracks.
  • It has a vast library of free downloadable loops and digital instruments to use in projects.
  • In my experience it's a little hard to find some settings and tools.
Logic Pro X is ideal for music production recording and mixing with its extensive library of loops and instruments. The interface and tools are geared toward music more than anything else.
Apple's support is top notch.

Logic Pro X Scorecard Summary

What is Logic Pro X?

Apple offers Logic Pro X, an audio editing application.

Logic Pro X Pricing