Logic Pro X Reviews

Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 11, 2020

Sweet Spot for Affordable High End DAW on Mac OS X

I use Logic Pro X as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) for multitrack recording and music production. It is my preferred DAW on Mac OS X and I use it on-the-go on my MacBook Pro laptop when I am traveling or on-site at various studios. I'm able to quickly throw together songs that are used as music beds for commercials, product demos, instructional videos, and rich media EPUB 3 ebooks.
  • Interface - I find the Logic Pro X user interface intuitive and easy to use.
  • Mixing - The mixer bay of Logic Pro X is excellent and allows you to see at an instant what levels everything is playing at. I much prefer it to some of its competitors who make it difficult to see the whole mixer all at once. Logic Pro X emulates analog mixing and does as great job at it.
  • Soft-Synth and MIDI Sequencing - I love the MIDI sequencer in Logic Pro X. I've struggled with a number of "piano roll" features, or step sequencers, but Logic Pro X has an intuitive and straightforward way of recording and sequencing MIDI notes that works quite well for me.
  • PC Support - Logic Pro X is Mac-only and that prevents me from using it in conjunction with PC software.
  • Window Configuration - Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the different windows and wish it were easier to navigate. There are screensets that you can toggle between, which is a step in the right direction, but I can't help but feel some of the UI is unnecessarily cluttered.
  • Automation - There is a long-standing bug where you have to start playback where an envelope begins, in certain cases, for the automation to work. If you start in the middle, the automated plugin will have the wrong value.
Logic Pro X is a must for Mac-based music production, recording, and mixing environments. It's great for on-the-fly recording and arrangement, such as when traveling or on-site with a Mac laptop. It's also great when you need to quickly arrange music for any number of applications, or compose a new song using VST plugins or MIDI instruments.

Logic Pro X is impossible to use in a PC environment, so I would not recommend trying to use it on a Mac as a secondary computer in any music studio that is PC-based.
The user community of Logic Pro X is vibrant, responsive, and lively. There are many great forums out there where you can solve any problem you encounter, whether it's sound card latency, a certain plugin not working, audio routing, multitrack issues, or virtually anything else you run into. The community is so helpful that I'm giving Logic Pro X a 10 in this department, despite having never contacted their official support department. I've never had to, since there is such a great user community.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 23, 2020

Logic Pro is the Logical Choice for Composers

My job is a composer for film, television and advertising, so Logic Pro is where I spend most of my time and where I get the most work done. I literally can't do my job without the right DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), and Logic Pro is one of the most versatile in the industry.
  • Integration with all Apple products.
  • Easy to learn.
  • Faster update schedule.
  • Windows version would be helpful.
Most composers I know are Mac-based, and that makes Logic the choice for many. What that means is that collaborating with other composer and musicans is easy, because most of us are working in the same DAW. Logic, overall, has a simple looking interface, but below the surface it's got everything you'd ever need to score a film and then some.
The few times I've had to reach out to Apple for support, they're fast and answer my question. Also, the ability to go into an Apple Store and talk to someone in person about Logic is invaluable - they even have free classes on using the software for beginners! Apple is unparalleled in its support compared to most companies.
Read Rob Gokee's full review
sam heminger | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 27, 2020

Logic for students!

I use Logic Pro X as a music teacher to help develop arrangements for my students. I have also used it a bit in teaching children the basics of music production.
  • Intuitive
  • Being an Apple product, kids are familiar with the interface
  • Tutorials could be better
Logic Pro X is probably the easiest music production software to use with the lowest barrier of entry. It is thus well suited for beginners and students.
Haven't needed much support but the tutorials could be better
Read sam heminger's full review
January 24, 2020

Logic Pro X has sound logic

Our church currently uses Logic Pro X in several ways, in a couple of different departments. We currently use it for live recording, live instrumentation, editing pre-recorded services, and for editing audio for video use. Logic Pro has been fantastic at helping us capture and edit the fantastic quality of audio for our different uses.
  • Recording live audio.
  • Editing audio.
  • Ease of use.
  • Interface controls.
Logic Pro X is fantastic for people who are bought into Apple's 'walled garden' approach to apps. It's a safe download from the Mac App Store, is easy to install on multiple Macs, and Is fairly inexpensive considering its value. We have had excellent success with its capabilities for capturing and recording live audio, as well as editing for use in video or posting tracks for download. However, it is incredibly complex and has a steep learning curve if one wishes to go deeper into the software.
Apple's support, as usual, is fantastic. Their web support is filled with many articles covering many of the issues you may have. However, where it's incredibly helpful is visiting the local Apple Store when there are issues that online support can't solve. It's great to be able to talk with a real-life human who has experience with the software when you're having issues.
Michael Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 27, 2019

Logic Pro X is the "logical" solution for Music Production and mixing

As the audio Engineer, I use Logic Pro X in our company for recording and music production.
  • Logic Pro X is the best that I've found for music production. It's just more intuitive and has better features that lend itself to recording and mixing music tracks.
  • It has a vast library of free downloadable loops and digital instruments to use in projects.
  • In my experience it's a little hard to find some settings and tools.
Logic Pro X is ideal for music production recording and mixing with its extensive library of loops and instruments. The interface and tools are geared toward music more than anything else.
Apple's support is top notch.
Read Michael Anderson's full review

About Logic Pro X

Apple offers Logic Pro X, an audio editing application.