- The usability of Magnolia is appreciated, a content editor easily learns how to manage the content in two hours only.
- Magnolia is open, flexible and extendible and it is possible to modify or improve the standards features. Using Java API, REST, SOAP, CMIS, XML, etc. makes it possible to integrate other software or legacy data.
- Magnolia as a modular architecture, a module has its lifecycle, configuration, version handing and dependency: this is a good approach for package content and functionality.
- Magnolia is written in Java, the platform of choice for enterprise IT systems. It is scalable, stable and secure, and Magnolia separates the staging from public environment.
- Magnolia lacks of an administrative dashboard showing all the workflow, possibly in a graphical representation of their status.
- The audit module only logs in a file: having a dashboard for the audit would be a nice improvement.
- When the time comes to configure templates and components in the Standard Templating Kit is quite complicated and boring at times. A widget to help the developer would be a very interesting job. In addition, having the possibility to configure template and component in the Standard Template Kit by code would be nice.
- Implementing a customization in the administrative UI or in the dialogs isn’t simple and the developer must know Vaadin.
- Migrating from the previous major release is complicated and expensive, since Magnolia 5 isn’t compatible with the old major versions (Magnolia 4).
- Easy to use for end users
- You can use both jsp and ftl
- It lets you easily develop a site for both mobile and desktop (V5 only)
- Nice templating mechanism
- Uninstalling modules it too messy
- Almost no documentation
- It uses 2 dbs (one on filesystem) and so it is impossibile to get back in case of errors when publishing new version of self made modules
I think it is still a little bit tough to update from one major version to another due to the lack of documentation.
It is used across the whole organization.
- Easy to create and move pages
- Easy to do custom development
- Easy to integrate with other frameworks
- The admin interface could be easier to use
- It would be good to have more modules provided by the community
- The product allowed the site to be skinned easily.
- The product allowed developers to create dialogs to enable the content editors to enter content for the website.
- The product is a powerful content management tool.
- The set-up of Magnolia CMS seemed to be a little fiddly.
Magnolia V5+ Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Magnolia V5+
Magnolia is a digital business platform with a CMS at its core. The vendor’s value proposition is that its unique open suite approach allows organizations to go to market fast, adapt quickly to changing business priorities and integrate easily with third party systems. This enables them to create outstanding multi-channel customer experiences while maintaining central control over experience, channels and content.
The vendor says that enterprises such as Airbus Group, Al Arabiya, Avis and Virgin America use it as the central hub for their web, mobile and Internet of Things initiatives (IoT). Additionally the vendor says more than 300 enterprises rely on Magnolia to create personalized experiences for their customers.
Magnolia is available in both Community and Enterprise editions. Working with a global network of certified partners, Magnolia offers support, implementation and training for enterprise clients. The Magnolia community of clients and partners regularly gathers at events like the Magnolia Conference to share and learn more about real-life digital marketing solutions.
Magnolia V5+ Integrations
Magnolia V5+ Competitors
|Magnolia Community Edition||$0|
|Magnolia Enterprise Edition Standard||-||per instance|
|Magnolia Enterprise Edition Pro||-||per instance|
Magnolia V5+ Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||10%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||57%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||Enterprises (> 500 employees)||33%|
Magnolia V5+ Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Magnolia V5+ Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac, Solaris|
|Mobile Application:||Mobile Web|