Mailchimp Reviews

1948 Ratings

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2021

April 10, 2021
Vicki Lesage | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MailChimp internally and also recommend it to our clients, where appropriate. It's a great way for clients to get into email marketing with minimal commitment as they learn the ropes and grow their subscriber list. As their needs and subscriber base grows, MailChimp can grow with them. Internally, just our marketing department uses it, and we find the same is true with our clients. MailChimp helps solves the business problem of how to stay in touch with your audience reliably and affordable.
  • Mobile-friendly email templates -- You can always trust that MailChimp's templates will work well across the most common email clients and devices. Much more efficient than hand-coding!
  • Easy-to-use WYSIWYG editors -- You can do almost anything you want in an email with MailChimp's easy WYSIWYG interface.
  • Customizing the sign-up process -- You can brand each page and make it look good while still keeping it streamlined.
  • I think the pop-ups (to encourage users to sign up to your mailing list) could have more flexibility in their design. I was designing one the other day and it had limited choices for the image sizes, so I had to play around with it quite a bit to get it to look good.
  • It's great that they now integrate with Facebook Ads but the reporting is really basic and I find it hard to make changes mid-campaign. For example, I have not been able to find aggregate stats -- I have to hover over the number of each day in the chart and add up the stats for the month. And you cannot extend a campaign more than 3 days before it ends, so you better remember to mark your calendar and update it before it ends with you!
  • The list segmenting is pretty basic. I can do a few of the things I want but nothing too complex at the same time.
I think MailChimp is perfect for small business and newbies because it's the easiest email marketing platform around. You can get up and running quickly and affordably (in most cases even free) and try things out. So many times clients think they want a huge marketing automation platform, and while that could be right for them, I think it's better to start with small, achievable goals and go from there. Send your first email. Get your first subscriber form in place. Learn the ropes and see what works for your business. Then decide if you want to upgrade to MailChimp's more robust features or perhaps graduate to a different (more expensive) platform. For a large business or one with a lot of experience in email marketing, I still think MailChimp can be great because it's very powerful and integrates with nearly everything.
I would have given it a higher rating a while ago, but some of the recent changes make it harder to find things. "List" is now called "Audience" and it's almost too broad; I'd rather be able to drill into an individaul list and see what is going on with each (who is subscribed, which forms I have set up, etc.). In the same vein, it takes lots of clicks to get to things that seem like they should be easier to find. If you want to change the default MailChimp logo that appears at the bottom of your emails and sign up pages, there are 3 different places you need to do so, none of which are immediately obvious. Creating emails is relatively easy, though.
We haven't really used the all-in-one plaform capabilities, other than Facebook advertising. Some of our clients just don't need those services, while others already have other tools in place to handle that. I would like to give a few of them a try at some point, but we (and our clients) just haven't had the need yet.
Read Vicki Lesage's full review
April 08, 2021
Jason Carlage | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MailChimp across our small sales organization to send email campaigns to current and potential customers. It helps us to email hundreds or thousands of people at one time, and save contact lists so we can send different campaigns to different groups. It also provides us with important analytics like open and click-rates.
  • Sending email campaigns. It's extremely easy and efficient to create campaigns with templates or on your own, and repeat those campaigns so you don't have to recreate them every time.
  • Customer service. They actually only have chat and email support, but I've utilized the chat function numerous times and rarely waited more than a few minutes. Everyone I've chatted with has been extremely competent and a few folks actually went into my campaigns and helped me create them.
  • Analytics. It's very important to have the open and click rates of campaigns, and you can download the list of people who opened your campaigns and what links they clicked, and which links.
  • Phone support. While the chat function is extremely effective, it can be helpful with certain questions to speak with someone over the phone.
  • I'd like the ability to unsubscribe someone to all campaigns. Currently, if someone unsubscribes to a campaign, they will never receive that exact campaign again. But if their email address is on multiple lists or gets added on another list by someone who is unaware that they unsubscribed, that person will receive another email. Many recipients have been angered by this, telling me that the unsubscribed - which they did - but I have to explain that the process is not universal, and sometimes we forget to include the "exclude" list.
  • The payment structure goes by the number of email addresses that are stored on Mailchimp, so to stay below a certain billing threshold, I have to periodically delete lists of stored email addresses. This gets to be cumbersome because I regularly need to delete and re-upload many of the same lists of people.
Mailchimp is terrific for any organization that is looking to send email campaigns to a large group of people, send multiple email campaigns to a variety of lists, and create campaigns with a variety of text and graphic options. If most of the email outreach an organization does is individual outreach, or if mass emailing is more periodic, it might be best to utilize the free mail merge functions of Gmail.
Read Jason Carlage's full review
March 21, 2021
Ramon Khan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Mailchimp to handle email newsletters and also to manage email signup as well as automated email sequences. They have a robust set of features and are very well priced for what they offer.
  • Pricing structure
  • Number of features
  • Number of templates that you can use
  • Can be a little difficult to set up for new people
I really like Mailchimp to set up and manage newsletters and auto-response sequences. If you ever need to do any kind of mass mailing its good for that as well.
Usability is good but the implementation can be a little tricky as its not as intuitive as some other platforms. That being said, part of the reason is because they are more robust and offer more features so it does make it a little bit more technical than some of the other tools to set up. This can be looked as a pro or a con depending on how you look at it but besides that its great.
I have not taken advantage of some of the new features that Mailchimp has added in the marketing automation besides the email features but its nice to see that they are adding more services which delivers an ever better value for end users.
Read Ramon Khan's full review
March 19, 2021
Chris Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use it primarily for our production department. Our loan officers have automated and one-off campaigns to maintain touch-points with our current and past customers, as well as with the realtors we've worked with. These campaigns may be fired off once per week or triggered by a birthday, holiday, or home anniversary date.
  • They maintain a solid database that constantly updates with each mailing.
  • They have very flexible drip and trigger campaigns that automate processes easily.
  • The have easy import solutions for adding new data to the database.
  • Their interface takes a little getting used to; not expressly clear at first how icons on left side divide out into sub-functions on right.
  • There is a lot of stuff on their pages that sometimes makes it hard to get to what your after; example: the audience dashboard is mostly black & white with a lot of great information, but your eyes don't immediately drive to where you would go to work with the data.
  • Similar to above, their terms sometimes seem mixed as in "View Contacts" and "Manage Audience" with a sub-menu under that says "Manage Contacts."
Mailchimp does a lot for you, despite taking some time to figure it out and all it's multiple functionalities. It's a great tool that should benefit communications with customers and keeping you top-of-mind. It is definitely not as easy as firing off an email to your group of contacts from Outlook, but your return is so much greater.
Again, Mailchimp throws a lot of functionality and analytics at you which is great, but it just needs to do a better job of visually defining the components of that information. Really it's my only issue with them, because I can spend more time than I wish finding the exact functions I want.
It handles them well as our business depends on retaining customers over a longer period of time between business transactions. Between finding new customers and re-marketing previous ones for products that may benefit them with the ever-changing market climates, we can't afford to miss any opportunities with all the competition we face doing the same thing. Mailchimp provides that vehicle for us rather well.
Read Chris Johnson's full review
March 19, 2021
Mukesh K. Singhmar | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use MailChimp in two ways:

1. For our prospect and customer marketing campaigns.
  2. For our customers -- in the capacity of a B2B marketing agency partner -- to help them run their email campaigns.

It is being used across the whole organization.

The problem we solve with Mailchimp is being able to effectively run automated email campaigns to the various target segments that we do business with. We also use Mailchimp for customer marketing, where we leverage it for the purpose of educating and engaging our existing clients.

At SeeResponse, we are on the "Standard" plan today which allows us the automation functionality. Though as most Mailchimp users we started on their "Forever Free" plan that allows you up to 2,000 contacts, with 10,000 sends per month and a daily limit of 2,000, but gradually as our marketing needs grew we upgraded to "Essentials" and later to the "Standard" plan. We love Mailchimp's "Standard" plan since it allows us to automate our email sequences and includes pre-built journeys and custom-coded templates.
  • Customer journey builder.
  • Email automation.
  • Inbox delivery.
  • Template based email builder isn't as intuitive.
  • The automated journey builder is a bit complex to navigate if you're just starting.
  • Audience management, early on. As you get used to it, it gets easier.
Mailchimp is a great tool for anyone who's looking for an email software that provides great inbox delivery. Their email deliverability is one of the best in the industry. It is also well suited for someone who's getting started with email marketing. Because it comes 'forever free' if you have less than 2,000 contacts and you intend to send less than 10,000 emails it's a great tool to get your feet wet.
With Mailchimp, I'd say early on there's a little bit of a learning curve. But once you get familiar with all the tabs and the features and functionality, it is a very powerful software. Again, we are big fans of email deliverability and Mailchimp never disappoints.
Correct, with Mailchimp you can manage most (if not all) marketing activities within one platform. But we don't use them for everything. The reason being that we have HubSpot as our CRM and it also allows us to do things like forms and landing pages and SEO, so we keep all that within HubSpot and email marketing is something that we rely heavily upon on Mailchimp -- for both the regular outreach campaign and the more automated email sequences that are triggered based on prospect actions.
Read Mukesh K. Singhmar's full review
Chris Lesner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is being used by our organization to send mass emails to hundreds of thousands of people. We use it for ourselves and for our clients. It's one of the simplest email clients that you will come across and we typically recommend it to people who just use email as a campaign sending solution that doesn't need to react in too dynamic of a way.
  • Mass emailing
  • Deliverability
  • Easy drag and drop
  • Fairly inexpensive for smaller lists
  • Smarter dynamic drip campaigns
  • Wish it would allow for more list loading without verification
  • Wish it didn't have as many soft bounces to emails that we know are legit and signed up for our email list
If someone needs to send mass emails and guarantee deliverability, Mailchimp is an easy solution for that. If you have purchased lists from external sources, don't consider Mailchimp. They pride themselves on deliverability and won't let their servers get spammed by bad emails. Also they have easy to use drag and drop builders.
They allow you to use their pre-built templates, or easily build your own without needing to know any code. The drag and drop features tend to be easier to work with compared to some of the other platforms and I find that people who are new to email sending or that are looking for something easy, tend to pick this up very quickly.
I would hesitate to say this is an all-in-one marketing platform even at the higher paid tiers. I know a lot of companies use this as their CRM, because they can't afford something like Salesforce, however it definitely shouldn't be used as a CRM. It doesn't replace many marketing functions outside of email. I wouldn't use the landing page feature if you have your own site, as you already have the capabilities on your CMS typically.
Read Chris Lesner's full review
Christopher Page, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've used Mailchimp primarily for clients. It serves as a great email repository system when integrating with landing page software. It solves the problem of collecting email address and storing them in a single system.
  • Tagging contacts
  • Audience segmentation
  • Form creation
  • Visual workflow builder (finally implemented recently)
  • Limited functionality with lists
  • Other than that, great beginner platform
For clients just starting their email marketing journey, I recommend Mailchimp. I haven't used it for more advanced clients or clients with larger lists. It's great for newsletter distribution and easy email design. I haven't used their visual workflow builder/automation, but glad to see they finally built that.
Again, great for new email automation users. Very intuitive system with easy to use email builder. Mailchimp has done a great job being a household name for email marketing, like GoDaddy for hosting. It may not be the most advanced email marketing platform, but it does a great job across the board for basic functionality.
I haven't utilized all the systems within Mailchimp to streamline systems, however, I do recognize the value this can add for businesses who want to manage things in house and not necessary have the best of the best, but have an easy experience.
Read Christopher Page, MBA's full review
khayati jain | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is being used by our Sales and Marketing team to do the marketing campaigns, email marketing, content creation, EDM and many more materials for marketing. This software helps us to generate the potential leads by running several marketing campaigns depending upon the segmentation, preferences, needs, and desires of the customer.
  • Email Marketing.
  • Content Creation.
  • Automation.
  • Reports Creation.
Mailchimp is [the] best software to do email marketing as it gives us a feature to create our own content with inbuilt templates which is easy to use with the drag and drop facility. We can create content and publish it in a very short span of time. Anyone can use it as it is easy to use and manage. No coding skills [are] required to generate landing pages and getting data from different sources.
Mailchimp is [an] easy to use and interactive software. Anyone who is unaware of coding a HTML or CSS code can also use this software to do marketing and generating leads. This software helps [the] marketing team to generate high potential leads which can easily be converted into opportunities and go to closure.
Mailchimp gives us an all-in-one marketing platform where we can manage the entire marketing process: from creating content for the marketing, to creating an email, to sending an email, to tracking whether an email is opened/clicked or not, to generating reports and analyzing it. Mailchimp makes our life easier by giving all features under one roof which makes this software highly interactive and productive.
Read khayati jain's full review
Alex Chaidaroglou | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Mailchimp to communicate with our existing users about any product updates, news, maintenance etc. It's used primarily by Marketing, even for technical updates. Even on its free plan, it solves our need to communicate with our users at scale and in an automated way, without us having to use our transactional email services.
  • Ease of use
  • Templates and easily accessible lite advanced features
  • Affordable
  • Many people know how to use it, so it's easy to train someone to use it
  • I'd like to see some more advanced features, automations and dripping functionality
  • More email templates are always welcome
  • A little improvement on the design of the UI
Mailchimp is ideal for businesses that want an easy to use, free and quick to set up software, in order to mass communicate with their users or clients. It's also ideal to integrate with your website for visitors who want to sign up to your newsletter, since virtually every CMS has an integration with Mailchimp.

It might not be ideal to run NPS surveys or do advanced email marketing automations.
Mailchimp is highly user-friendly, it's very easy to get started, find everything you need, import your contacts, set up sign up forms, get new employees to use it and broadcast any emails you need to send to your clients or users.

Generally speaking you can find everything you need very easily, maybe only make some advanced features a little bit more visible. But it's very minor
We haven't treated it yet as an all-in-one marketing platform. For example we use Google Suit for our CRM, another tool for our transactional emails and depending on what we want done, for some specific activities we might use other tools or Mailchimp in combination with other tools.

But that's fine, what it does, it does it very well, especially for starters.
Read Alex Chaidaroglou's full review
Genie Forkner | TrustRadius Reviewer
I manage Mailchimp for my clients that choose this email marketing tool. It's simple integration with Wordpress is generally the deciding factor when they choose this platform.
  • Easy to read analytic reports
  • Offers a variety of drag and drop templates that suits the needs for many users
  • A good choice for startups and non-profits working with limited budgets
  • Organization of lists/audiences
  • Offer simpler options to organize contacts at the time of upload
  • Increased contact limits for non-profits
For a micro organization, startups and non profits that have minimal skills in the area of email marketing Mailchimp is a good tool to build some skills. The easy to read analytics offer easy to understand audience insights. The pre-designed templates help create well structured content to increase open rates and conversions.
Organizing audiences and lists is a bit challenging... would like to see improvements that offer more clearly defined steps to organizing uploaded lists. The implementation of a more directed approach to aid beginners in how to build and segment list would be a wonderful addition to this platform.
Because Mailchimp is an all-in-one solution for email marketing I am able to teach/coach my clients in one convenient location. I've saved countless hours by being able to introduce my clients to Mailchimp and help them develop the skills needed to effectively manage their own email marketing and operate independently.
Read Genie Forkner's full review
Mary Monday | TrustRadius Reviewer
We create monthly newsletters on behalf of our marketing client. It is used by the Sales and Marketing department, not the entire company. It's a cost-effective way to communicate with both commercial and residential customers for the company. It was important to have an easy-to-use tool so in-house staff could be trained to use it in a short amount of time on an as needed basis.
  • Embedding video is a simple drag and drop
  • Adding a variety of layout blocks is simple
  • Customizing templates for company branding
  • Would love to have access to the html code
  • Don't have any other issues
If you are looking to have a simple, easy to learn tool for email marketing, Mailchimp is a good option. If you are looking to have a lot of control over the HTML of the email or any kind of marketing automation for triggered campaigns, it is less ideal. Content is easy to import and edit in the tool.
Very simple to learn to use. Tutorials are helpful and thorough. Anyone with basic knowledge of email marketing would easily get started on Mailchimp.
We only use it to send monthly emails.
Read Mary Monday's full review
March 15, 2021
Kristi Porter | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used Mailchimp at my previous job for quite a number of years for event marketing communication to attendees, so it was an easy decision to also use it for the last four years in my own business as well. I use it to gather emails for my monthly newsletter and deliver my opt-ins and sales funnels. It is easy to integrate with my Squarespace site, so that also made it an easy decision. Overall, I like the layout and drag-and-drop features, and it helps that I have so much automated with email sequences. As a solopreneur, I have limited time and resources, and Mailchimp was a good email marketing tool to begin with in my new business.
  • Squarespace integration is very easy.
  • The free account makes it an easy decision to choose as I was getting my business off the ground.
  • Creating and sending emails is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I like the varied options to showcase my brand.
  • There are lots of templates and options to choose from for whatever type of email you need to send.
  • I live in Atlanta where they are HQ'd and I really like how involved they are in the community.
  • As they add more features, the interface gets bulky and hard to navigate. I sometimes forget where to find things or how to add new emails, etc.
  • With the new features, the pricing has increased significantly and I question the value for my own needs. I previously had a free account and then downgraded.
  • Email marketing is their core offering, but it seems clunky now that they have all their new features. I wish they would have focused on that before expanding into so many other areas.
  • In my opinion, adding automations is a difficult process and takes me much longer than it should.
  • I can't have one email list and also have multiple opt-ins, so I do a lot of manual maneuvering when new people are added.
  • The tagging feature needs improvement because it doesn't seem easy to use and update a bunch of people at once.
  • Email customer service isn't included with free plans.
  • I have selected that people must check options for email lists, GDPR, and that they won't receive the opt-in without them, but it doesn't look like that's happening.
Mailchimp is best suited for startups who need to bootstrap and for those with simple email marketing needs. Need a free tool? Go for it. Need to only send to one list and only have one opt-in? Proceed. Want an email marketing tool with lots of other add-ons and features? This could be for you.

However, I saw early on that it wouldn't grow with me. I know that very large companies use it, so I fully admit that there are probably things I don't understand or maybe am not using correctly. But the problem is that when they first started, they were easy to use and ahead of the curve. I loved it. But I feel like they've just become complex and bulky, though, as they add features. Why have I been with them for years and it seems to become harder to use?
I feel like the more features they add, the harder it becomes to use. It started out very innovative and user-friendly, but I wouldn't say that's the case for Mailchimp anymore. I've been sending simple emails and campaigns for a long time, so that's pretty second nature at this point. And I have templates set up for duplication which also makes it easier to execute quickly. But adding automations, in particular, is very difficult, in my opinion. I feel like I always need a tutorial when I'm going back to either start something new or even just making updates to a current series. It's also not that easy to add new lists and connect new opt-ins. Integrating with Squarespace is the easy part, but it should be a smoother process to get the rest of it set up.
I only use Mailchimp for sending emails. I don't use the landing page tool or any of the other features. Because I'm not loving the main service anymore, I'm not willing to pay for the other stuff. Additionally, they've started pricing themselves out of what I can afford.

Having digital ads and social media also built-in seems like a great idea, and in theory, I love the idea of an all-in-one marketing platform, but I'm having so many other issues with the email marketing that I am not really willing to put in the time to learn their other stuff. Also, advertising isn't as much of a focus for me right now since my clients primarily come from referrals.
Read Kristi Porter's full review
Ashlie Pappas | TrustRadius Reviewer
I help get new wellness professionals get set up in their Mailchimp software as it's still one of the most popular starter autoresponders, due to its affordable price point and robust (from the view of someone newer in their business) capabilities. Mailchimp makes it easy to build and nurture a list - especially with their features that have been added in the past couple years, albeit making it a bit more complex and less intuitive.
I personally use Mailchimp as a backup to my regular autoresponder system as I've had my account for over 7 years and it has always been reliable - usually running a couple opt-in campaigns into it at any given time.
  • Price point.
  • Integrations.
  • Commitment to adapt to meet user needs.
  • Ability to give access to VAs.
  • With the added features, the platform is no longer intuitive and easy to figure out.
  • Unless VA is a recognized Mailchimp Agency Partner, it uses a "seat" to give them access, otherwise password must be shared and coordination set to pass off the verification code.
  • It seems like MC is trying to compete with platforms like ConvertKit, Keap, etc., but the UX is extremely more overwhelming and less effective. It's currently stuck in limbo between beginners software and a full on CRM.
  • Since they are constantly adapting to meet the times, their platform changes pretty frequently which can be frustrating.
  • The email autoresponder capabilities could be improved greatly.
  • The user interface is trendy, but is VERY fatiguing to the eyes if you work in Mailchimp for any extended period of time.
Mailchimp will probably always be my go-to for those who are just starting their list or online business, as it is easy to use for basic functions.

However, I don't think it's a great option for anyone with a sizable list who needs advanced email marketing capabilities. Even with their most recent changes, the interface is hard to look at for any extended period of time and is cheesy. To be honest, it may be my prejudice from working with other email platforms and the difference in user interface. For someone who starts and grows with Mailchimp, it could very well handle more complex functions considering the newer features such as "Journey" automations. But it still doesn't feel very intuitive where other platforms are.
The user interface and use of trendy terms for functions (such as "journey" for the advanced campaign builder) are confusing and not intuitive. However, with a little time and learning, it does what it's supposed to do and is reliable as an autoresponder.
With their regular updates and large platform changes, it can be frustrating to get accustomed to a new interface or system and then have it completely changed, having to learn it all over again.
They do have an extensive support system and it is easy to find instructions on how to navigate the software (making sure to search based on recent materials provided so you don't end up with obsolete instruction).
They are trying to do too much here when they need to focus on building out their email autoresponder abilities and user interface.
When I think of autoresponders, Mailchimp comes to mind immediately.
When I think of shopping carts, e-commerce, graphic design, web hosting, landing pages, etc - Mailchimp isn't a blip on the radar. It's very rare you find a software that has truly mastered being a "jack of all trades," and Mailchimp isn't one of them.
Read Ashlie Pappas's full review
Jason Rutel | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp with multiple clients to manage their email campaigns, some landing pages, and even have it connected to a few woocommerce stores. As an agency owner, I love the fact that I can switch between multiple clients from a single login, and I know that the product will deliver on his promise. Mailchimp allows us to create engaging emails and schedule them ahead of time for clients.
  • Tons of integrations
  • User-friendly email builder
  • Would love to see a visual automation builder
  • Need the ability for users on a current list to have updated tags without creating a new list when sending via zapier or WordPress
Mailchimp is a great email campaign platform for anyone starting out, and also for agencies who need to manage multiple early stage clients. Once you get into more complicated automation, you may need to look for more developed solutions. If you need beautiful emails and an easy user interface, this is the place to go.
It’s always easy to use and makes sense. There are very few times where I run into something that is broken. It is very reliable and I know what to expect when I am working with the platform. The new beta email designer is still a work in progress, but the main designer and works great still! The only downside is a lack of visual automation builder, but that is not a dealbreaker for us.
I have utilized landing page builders on Mailchimp a few times in order to quickly capture emails and that has been a success. As a web developer they still have a long way to go in order to really have landing pages be the most useful solution. I have not spent a whole bunch of time using the Facebook ads side of it but I imagine it to be very useful.
Read Jason Rutel's full review
Joanna García | TrustRadius Reviewer
The marketing team uses Mailchimp to keep up with the actual clients about the news in our business, blog posts, and any other information that is relevant for them. Also, the marketing team uses it for cold leads, they add them into a funnel for conversion inside Mailchimp.
  • Easy to set-up, you can choose the format for the mail.
  • Shows you the quality of the mail that you added.
  • Can use HTML of previous mails created in mailchimp.
  • The free templates are limitated
  • You can send only to 2000 at once
  • There is no guide for funnels, you have to create your own.
Perfect for small business that sells multiple services or products, since Mailchimp qualify the mail you can arrange a better funnel for retargeting. 2000 per campaign is enough for start-ups.
Versatile, user-friendly, and visually attractive, can be used for any level of expertise.
So far, we used it for mass communication for our clients, and has been great for cold leads. However, we use other platforms to manage marketing promotions.
Read Joanna García's full review
Duncan McMillan | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp to manage our mailing list and stay in touch with email subscribers. It is also the platform I usually recommend to clients.
  • Mailchimp provides the means for email recipients to easily opt out or manage their profile which makes it very easy to maintain a healthy and targeted list.
  • The Mailchimp dashboard show comprehensive statistics about the deliverability and open rates of emails. This feedback is essential when assessing the success of email campaigns.
  • Not only does Mailchimp provide a range of smart and well designed email templates you can use as the basis for campaigns, but it also makes it easy create custom templates to match company branding and corporate style.
  • As a developer using the Mailchimp API to integrate with web applications, it would be handy to have more technical detail available in the Mailchimp dashboard, such as the internal ID properties of lists, tags, etc. This used to be available via the Mailchimp API playground but this is no longer supported.
Mailchimp is very affordable as an email marketing platform for new or small businesses. The free tier supports a reasonable number of subscribers with the basic features, so great for running email campaigns on a very low or nonexistent budget,
The user interface is intuitive and well designed.
Mailchimp provides various marketing tools on a single platform. Having all the data I one place just makes it easier manage.
Read Duncan McMillan's full review
Bryan Hume | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp across our entire organization. After using countless different email marketing platforms, Mailchimp continues to be the clear front runner. It not only makes email marketing easier, it also offers feature-rich solutions to make digital marketing more effective. Simply put, I also just enjoy using it — the way we feel about our time spent is extremely valuable.
  • Email Marketing
  • Marketing Automation
  • Customer Engagement
  • Smoother UI
  • Less Clutter
  • Simplicity
For most small business users, Mailchimp will work exceedingly well for your needs. It’s larger enterprises that may run into limits with automation capabilities, in which case HubSpot or other CRM solutions would be a better fit. But for email marketing, Mailchimp is a wonderful, simple option that offers quite a lot of flexibility as well.
Mailchimp seeks to make email marketing easier. From a usability standpoint, they accomplish this in spades. It’s easy to fire up, design emails that look professional, and send them on their way. Other products have tons of hoops to jump through before you get to the task you actually need to get done — email campaigns.
It’s a perfect option for this as a small business. Other tools have too many unneeded features for a higher budget, but Mailchimp is right in the sweet spot when it comes to value. I’m all about an all-inclusive tool and making tasks more simple, so Mailchimp fits the bill very well.
Read Bryan Hume's full review
Scott Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Mailchimp for nearly all of our clients. We've looked into other mail services and have used multiple in the past, but nothing really competes with Mailchimp. Mailchimp is quite affordable (viz. free) for most of the small clients, and our larger clients still get a pretty good deal. As an agency, we have to deal with multiple accounts, and Mailchimp makes it very easy to switch between multiple accounts with just one user sign-in. This allows us to quickly navigate all the accounts we have access too, while also being able to silo off each individual client. (In the case we sign a new client who already has a Mailchimp account, or we no longer handle a client, it is easy for us to gain/delegate access without losing any data security or difficulty.)

• Multiple Account Access
  • Templates
  • List and Segment Creation
  • Integration and APIs
  • Functions on all devices, Operating Systems, and Mail Clients with little to no custom coding.
  • Drag and Drop design interface
  • Transparent Billing
  • Scaled Pricing (price does go up quickly at scale)
  • The new interface is "clunkier" than the previous UI
  • Reporting could stand to be better (especially click heat map and send statistics)
Mailchimp is great for Agencies. Unless you have a very functional home-brew mail program, Mailchimp really can't be beat from an Agency perspective. By allowing access from one user account, you can quickly switch between your clients accounts, without having to store or remember a litany of passwords. Additionally, setting up separate accounts makes it easy to offboard clients (just grant them admin access and have them remove you as a user) and onboard new clients (just have them grant your access to their account). It also makes billing simple and will allow you to have invoices per client.

Mailchimp may not be the best option if you have a very large mailing list. Since the price scales up very quickly depending on the amount of subscribers you have, it may be best to go to a ESP that can handle the larger subscriber numbers. Especially if you sent to highly segmented lists, it would be better to be on a per-send payment as opposed to a per-subscriber system. While Mailchimp has great segmentation tools, if you're over 50,000 subs you might want to look elsewhere for a better deal.
Mailchimp is hands down the most user-friendly email platform I've used. Over the years, this user-focused approach has improved. And, (until recently) it had one of the most intuitive user interfaces on the market. Unfortunately, the new UI is a little harder to navigate and isn't as intuitive and simple as the previous interation.
We generally don't use the landing page or website builder function in our Mailchimp accounts because we prefer to do that on our owned domains. But the Campaign Builder tool (Email + Social) is very easy to use and it makes it so that any mail campaign is directly tied into social channels. Also, the Subscriber Management tools can function as a low-level CRM, which is very useful for follow-up campaigns and sales promotions. Finally, the automation and drip campaigns make it very simple to create automatic mailers that keep subscribers engaged.
Read Scott Walker's full review
Bailey Witt, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a marketing agency, we use MailChimp as an email marketing tool and marketing automation tool for a few of our clients. It is used 100% for marketing purposes. MailChimp solves the problem of being able to send mass promotional emails to a list of thousands of contacts, for promotional purposes. It also has an automation engine that can help to create a series of emails to be sent at specified intervals, or create an automated follow-up email for when leads come in through the website.
  • Easy-to-use email builder: MailChimp has always had one of the easiest email builders to use, and it doesn't sacrifice on design capabilities. You can make beautiful marketing emails quickly.
  • Segmentation: MailChimp makes it easy to segment your audience so you can quickly and easily send to the exact portion of your contact database that you want. Use segments, tags, interest groups, and more, to send the right message to the right people.
  • Integrations: Because MailChimp has been around awhile, it has plenty of integration partners, with many of the other tools you'll need to run your business, including other marketing and lead generation tools, CRMs, content management systems, ERPs, and more.
  • MailChimp's automation and workflows capabilities are not very robust. If automation is important to your business, I would not recommend using MailChimp for marketing automation. It doesn't have a lot of flexibility in terms of triggers, filters, and actions.
  • While MailChimp can help you create and send a lot of content to your database, it doesn't act as a CRM, which many marketing automation tools have built-in. The flexibility and customization of the data you keep on your contacts is limited, and it doesn't natively house any sort of tracking information.
MailChimp is well-suited if you just need to be able to send mass emails to your contact database, and be able to keep track of different segments of your database so you can send the right message to the right people. It is also helpful if you want to create very simple ad designs or landing pages.
If you need an all-in-one marketing automation tool, MailChimp will be a letdown, as it lacks built-in CRM functionality, and the automation engine is very limited.
MailChimp is easy to use. The menus are easy to navigate and all the tools within (email builder, workflow builder, landing page builder, etc.) have familiar user interfaces which make MailChimp efficient to use. There is also an extensive database of help articles from MailChimp that make finding the solution to a problem quick and simple.
MailChimp by itself is not very effective as an all-in-one marketing platform; however, it does seem to have more integration partners than any other marketing tool we've used. It can integrate with CRMs, lead generation tools, form builders, website content management systems, ERPs, and many other tools, which makes it an easier choice to make as an email marketing tool.
Read Bailey Witt, MBA's full review
February 16, 2021
Adam Reiley | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is used as a constituent database/mailing list for our nonprofit. It stores the information of our followers and makes mass emails easy to design, create, and send! It solves the problem of needing to organize the information of all of our followers and helps us track the results of our emails too.
  • Nice looking email designs.
  • Tracking of email results.
  • User-friendly interface.
  • Automation of emails is a little difficult.
  • The user support is okay, but not great.
Mailchimp is great for designing and sending out newsletters. It also functions well to split followers into different groups so you can target mass emails at these different groups depending on interest.

I also like it for when I want to track a campaign to compare the effectiveness of different email styles and open rates.
Overall, Mailchimp is a great tool for a nonprofit like the one I manage. It organizes constituent data easily, has a user-friendly interface, and powerful, user-friendly tools to design sleek-looking emails. Finally, it has reporting tools that help the user refine and target campaigns and learn from the results of prior emails.
Mailchimp is a great tool to handle marketing in one location. This has benefited our organization and streamlined our processes.
Read Adam Reiley's full review
April 08, 2021
Sydney Lovegrove | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used Mailchimp across the whole company to send out newsletters and stay in touch with customers during the busy seasons (tax season, etc.). It was effective for keeping running mail lists for prospective and current clients. However, I do wish it would’ve been more customizable from a design standpoint. Templates are nice but it needs some customization.
  • Organizing and utilizing different mail lists
  • Accessible
  • Affordable
  • More customization, design options, fonts, colors, elements, moving parts, able to resize stuff. Anything and everything!
  • More templates/design assistance
For small businesses, I think Mailchimp is a great resource! Easy to use and doesn’t break the bank! Could be more customizable but gets the job done in a timely manner! If you plan to use it a lot, definitely consider the Standard or Essentials plan. The free version is very limited.
I wish I would've spent more time with the Standard or Essentials version to really customize our branding and messages to customers. The free version is very limited compared to other free versions. However, it is still a great platform that helps you accomplish your goals! It is quick to whip up an email and blast it to multiple groups in a timely manner.
We only utilized Mailchimp's email feature. We created different mailing lists to connect with various customers at different times of the year when we believed we would get the highest ROI. However, it is a great feature that you are able to fully integrate. In a larger business with a large marketing division, being able to be vertically integrated is crucial to efficiency and success.
Read Sydney Lovegrove's full review
Daria Sukhacheva | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are still using Mailchimp for our newsletter, as we like the design and features of this software. However, we have stopped using it for mailmerge because it requires an "unsubscribe" link which makes it look like a blast, and not a personal email. For mailmerges, we have resumed using Outlook.
  • Great for sending a newsletter
  • Shows good stats. EG. opening rates, bounces, etc.
  • We would advise making an "unsubscribe" button optional.
Mailchimp is great to see how good or bad your newsletter list is, as you'll be able to see the bounce rate and act accordingly. As I previously stated, we don't like using it for mailmerges, as we like them to look like real emails instead of a "newsletter" blast kinda look.
It's quite good, but we are still using other software along with it.
We actually don't use it as an all-in-one marketing platform, but still use it for specific marketing needs, for example, to send a newsletter.
Read Daria Sukhacheva's full review
Alex Varney | TrustRadius Reviewer
We used MailChimp as our CRM and email platform. We used it to maintain our list of active members, to communicate with them via newsletters, and advise on special events and event followup. It was also helpful in that it would auto-post to other social platforms whenever we sent a newsletter or one-off email announcing a special event.
  • Intuitive interface
  • Easy to set up and send emails
  • Not expensive
  • Increased automation capability
  • More in-depth reporting
Mailchimp is a great email marketing platform and very easy to use. It is intuitive and easy to quickly understand, and good for teams or organizations where members may not be particularly tech-savvy. It may be less well suited in situations where an organization needs more capability and integration with other services or platforms.
Mailchimp is one of the most widely known email marketing platforms and its intuitive interface makes it very usable for all team members. It's easy to allow multiple members to be involved in projects and to understand how well emails perform. As a nonprofit, Mailchimp helped us achieve our mission.
Our organization did not make full use of all of Mailchimp's capabilities since we were using a lower tier of the service, but it does appear that those capabilities exist and could be useful if our needs were to change. With some time and team alignment, we could certainly utilize more of the features in Mailchimp.
Read Alex Varney's full review
Meredith Barnes | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mailchimp is used by our marketing team for both internal and external marketing. We have a variety of groups/multiple companies that use Mailchimp so the ability to create multiple audiences and use tags is very important for our use. We also use it for automated drip email campaigns for our new prospects/customers.
  • Audience segmenting/tagging.
  • Layout & design.
  • Reports.
  • Mailchimp works well for our needs and I wouldn’t change anything other than having it integrate with our CRM better.
It is a very cost effective option and is easy to learn and implement. It’s really a no brainer if you are looking for a comprehensive email marketing platform. It’s suggestions/ guides make it easy to get the most out of Mailchimp and reply ensure you are getting your money’s worth.
They consistently make updates to the platform to improve usability and ensure that users are getting the most. They often have surveys too. A great place to provide feedback on experience with Mailchimp. The block design for the email layout is very user friendly and editing images is simple and quick.
We've been able to use Mailchimp to create landing pages for advertising and for competitions. It also helps us to manage our contacts and segment them into groups allowing us to communicate with our audience in the most effective way possible. We have also used the survey function within Mailchimp which is great to have it right in the same platform.
Read Meredith Barnes's full review
March 21, 2021
Michael Chow | TrustRadius Reviewer
If all you want is email marketing, Mailchimp is still an excellent choice. Even for the free version, it packs a punch! Overall, it's a great marketing start point for most small businesses working with less than 2000 contacts (sadly, it used to be more, if I can recall). Unless you need more bells and whistles, or a more polished digital marketer, then I would recommend one of the paid plans
  • Great tutorials and tips
  • Templates
  • Blog
  • It used to be more than 5000 contacts than the free plan, but I guess they changed that figure. I didn't realize they changed that, as I was never near that number anyways!
For me, in e-learning online courses, this works well with any online toll such as Thinkific. I was afraid it wouldn't work, and with the help of Thinkific, I was able to get MailChimp working with my courses.
Easy. Anyone can use it. For that matter, I think my ten-year-old could use it! So, don't be afraid and think this would be too hard to learn or do. I found the tutorials, blog and community very helpful.
MailChimp can help you grow your list through easy-to-use and customizable signup forms that can be embedded on your website. MailChimp also allows you to divide your list (in my case, a class list) according to specific groups so you can easily tailor your email messages to different audiences. This would work great as my courses were tailor for a particular group at a particular discount.
Read Michael Chow's full review

WYSIWYG email editor (291)
Dynamic content (283)
Ability to test dynamic content (271)
Landing pages (216)
A/B testing (237)
Mobile optimization (290)
Email deliverability reporting (531)
List management (309)
Triggered drip sequences (210)
Lead nurturing (2)
6.7
Lead scoring and grading (1)
Data quality management (1)
Automated sales alerts and tasks (1)
Calendaring (1)
Event/webinar marketing (1)
Social sharing and campaigns (2)
10.0
Social profile integration (1)
Dashboards (62)
Standard reports (305)
Custom reports (40)
API (2)
Role-based workflow & approvals (1)
Customizability (2)
6.2
Integration with Salesforce.com (2)
Integration with Microsoft Dynamics CRM (2)
Integration with SugarCRM (2)

What is Mailchimp?

Mailchimp is an all-in-one Marketing Platform for small businesses. The vendor says its goal is to help small businesses market smarter so they can grow faster. Mailchimp aims to be the backbone for customer relationships, with AI-powered, user-friendly tools. Mailchimp is designed to put the audience at the center so users can send marketing emails and automated messages, create targeted ad campaigns, build landing pages, send postcards, facilitate reporting and analytics, and sell online. The vendor reports that millions of businesses and individuals - from community organizations to Fortune 100 companies - use Mailchimp to connect with their audience with the right message, at the right time, in the right place. Founded in 2001 and based in Atlanta, GA, Mailchimp has 1000+ employees and is privately held.

Mailchimp Features

Email & Online Marketing Features

Has featureWYSIWYG email editor
Has featureDynamic content
Has featureAbility to test dynamic content
Has featureLanding pages