Blue Hornet, Unreliable at BestWe use Blue Hornet to execute a number of Email Newsletter Campaigns.,I like the ability to receive my email content from my content provider directly in Blue Hornet.,I have used Blue Hornet over the last few years as it is the selected email platform used by my content provider. I have never used a more glitchy platform! Every time I use it I run into broken links, glitches and kinks. Their tech team is very quick to blame your machine - but I have access to several machines on all major OS platforms, and I run into the same issues every time. The Blue Hornet user interface is poor and clunky. They have a great looking homepage - but you can tell that there focus is on selling and not on current clients. This is plainly apparent by the fact that the login button is buried at the very bottom of the page and difficult to find the first time you look for it. Not to mention the fact that the user interface itself is nowhere near as smooth and polished as their branded website is. Additionally, their reports are often inaccurate. I would suggest any serious marketer looking to execute an email campaign with Blue Hornet to look elsewhere. I have reached out to my content provider to ask that they provide support on a different system - and was kindly informed that they are working around the clock to make this happen due to the overwhelmingly negative criticism of Blue Hornet from their clients.,1,I believe the price to outweigh the benefit by quite a bit. There are other systems available for less money that provide a more reliable experience.,1,2BlueHornet ReviewWe currently use BlueHornet to serve as our primary ESP. It helps address deliverability challenges we face day by day with a solid backbone of tools, customer support and API functionality. It allows our company to engage our most active users by sub-segmentation, based on behavioral and psychographic information stored within the BlueHornet database.,API functionality, alongside reporting, is unparalleled in an environment where you may not have IT support to build out tools. The user interface is easy to understand, allowing users to have control over the creative delivery for MIME, HTML, text and mobile ads. It allows deliverability experts to throttle deliveries by selecting mailing domain and IP pairs, granting access to stats on these individual paired delivery tools.,It would be nice to see the API's functionality introduced into the web client. The reporting tools for transactional messages is different than the rest of the system. This promotes difficulty with getting accurate reporting in the web client, outside of an API call. The custom fields are different for transactional messages, which introduces times when human error may flub the fields because they aren't contiguous throughout the product.,9,It drives many of the leads we generate to our own forms and our affiliate forms. The customer service support is excellent, with weekly calls between our account rep and delivery manager. The pricing model is very aggressive, compared to other ESP solutions.,Message Systems,Strongmail,Green Arrow,Expert Sender,Robomail,Topica,WhatCounts,Email Chimp,Constant Contact,Silverpop,8BlueHornet - It's Not You, It's MeOffers an easy to learn platform. Great for beginners who aren't familiar with Email Marketing to understand and master. Great dynamics. Allows you to offer your subscribers very personalized messaging with ease. Fantastic testing capabilities. Subject line, content, and button testing is quite flawless with this ESP.,Reporting is not as up to speed as some other ESP's. Pulling accurate reports is a manual task. Doesn't allow you to exclude test/null campaigns when exporting results. Many issues with the platform, such as broken click-through reporting, automated campaign reporting, etc. Far behind other ISP's are far as third-party integration. Does not allow you integrate other platforms within this ESP, or pull your statistics within MS Excel.,Has offered faster lead conversion by offering a great testing platform. You're able to target your subscriber personally and send them on different tracks. Very efficient as far as building out and copying email campaigns. Allowed us to run great nurturing campaigns that helped bring in a large amount of our leads.,4,3BlueHornet: The date you'd introduce to your parents. Nothing flashy, but gets it done.My company was a reseller of a number of email marketing platforms (ESP's.) BlueHornet was one of the platforms we resold. My role included determining which platform(s) was/were the best fit for a given prospect, demoing the platform(s), and once a deal was closed, onboarding the client, training the client, and supporting the client. This included consulting on strategy and email marketing best practices. BlueHornet was our "beginner" platform. While it performs the basics, we found it not suitable for advanced email marketers. It's primary limitations are reporting and the weakness of its support for relational data.,BlueHornet's WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface for creating emails is easier to use than many platforms. Users appreciate this. BlueHornet makes it super simple to create a version specific for mobile devices. I am a big fan of the custom data segmentation tools built into BlueHornet. They are powerful and easy to use. Many other ESPs, including a number of the top rated ones, do not have such powerful, easy to use segmentation tools. This matters. It helps a user send more relevant emails. BlueHornet makes sharing to social networks simple. In this day and age, forwarding to a friend is dead. Sharing to social networks is essential. Having this be easy to do is very important.,While the WYSIWYG editor is generally strong, BlueHornet has an Achilles Heel: The editor breaks attempts to use responsive design. With over 50% of email getting opened on mobile devices, this is a major stumble. The image library BlueHornet provides will frustrate users with a large library of imagery. 1) Accounts get a very small amount of storage. While this can be expanded, it would be better if it were unlimited. Storage is now so cheap, it is surprising to see it limited like this. 2) It is awkward to use. It does not allow folders for categorizing images by type. It would be a boon if it did. As I have seen in other reviews here, their reporting features are industry laggards. It is difficult to pull historical trend information without having to pull individual send reports and aggregate them all oneself. They have very limited support for relational data. While it is better than none, and I credit them for that, it has a ways to go to be competitive with the offerings of the true enterprise ESPs.,4,BlueHornet has been a good entry-level platform. We have successfully launched scores of clients with limited email marketing experience onto this platform. Because it is easy to use, we have spent minimal effort needing to help these clients with problems. It is easy to migrate clients on or off BlueHornet, depending upon their needs. This is helpful because it allows our clients to be on exactly the right platform. Some platforms make it difficult to migrate off, essentially trapping clients on a platform that no longer meets their needs or business objectives. I wish BlueHornet were keeping pace with technology advancements in the industry. The gap between the biggest ESPs and competitors like BlueHornet seems to be growing.,CheetahMail, Salesforce Marketing Cloud Email, IBM Silverpop Engage, Maropost, Lyris HQ, Aurea List Manager (formerly Lyris LM), iContact and Adestra,250,000 to 1 million,Both,Salesforce.com, Return Path, Email on AcidEasy to Use PlatformCreate emails. Build lists. Responsive email. Tell you if your email will be flagged for spam.,The reporting features could be more robust and provide better reports. Items such as being able to see who forwarded an email, duration of email viewed and an overlay of the clicks on the actual email. The price point could be lower or comparable to other EMS providers.,Neither, It was used to send out member communications.,1,6,2,1,Member engagement Member communication,Send out our yearly holiday card.,We are currently migrating out of BH to use a new platform that has more robust analytics. In the past we utilized BH for small email blasts and Xert for our large email database because of the cost. We are in the process of migrating to Informz because the cost is a lot lower with them compared to BH and Xert.,No,Xert,Price Product Features,I wasn't part of the team to choose BH.,Don't know,From talking to those that implemented it, there were no issues encountered.,5,10,No,I was having issues with various items and it turned out to be an issue with the server and some items BH didn't seem to be aware of the issues. They fixed them very quickly for me as I found them.,Creating emails. Uploading lists. Creating new segments. Creating templates. Uploading images. Creating dynamic segments.,unsubscribing multiple hard bouncers at once,10
Mapp Digital

Mapp Digital Reviews

Mapp Digital
Filter 13 vetted Mapp Digital reviews and ratings
March 18, 2015

Mapp Digital Review: "Blue Hornet, Unreliable at Best"

We use Blue Hornet to execute a number of Email Newsletter Campaigns.
  • I like the ability to receive my email content from my content provider directly in Blue Hornet.
  • I have used Blue Hornet over the last few years as it is the selected email platform used by my content provider. I have never used a more glitchy platform! Every time I use it I run into broken links, glitches and kinks. Their tech team is very quick to blame your machine - but I have access to several machines on all major OS platforms, and I run into the same issues every time.
  • The Blue Hornet user interface is poor and clunky. They have a great looking homepage - but you can tell that there focus is on selling and not on current clients. This is plainly apparent by the fact that the login button is buried at the very bottom of the page and difficult to find the first time you look for it. Not to mention the fact that the user interface itself is nowhere near as smooth and polished as their branded website is. Additionally, their reports are often inaccurate.
  • I would suggest any serious marketer looking to execute an email campaign with Blue Hornet to look elsewhere. I have reached out to my content provider to ask that they provide support on a different system - and was kindly informed that they are working around the clock to make this happen due to the overwhelmingly negative criticism of Blue Hornet from their clients.
Blue Hornet needs to spend time improving the reliability and user experience of their platform.
Read John Veit's full review
December 16, 2014

Mapp Digital: "BlueHornet Review"

• API functionality, alongside reporting, is unparalleled in an environment where you may not have IT support to build out tools.
  • The user interface is easy to understand, allowing users to have control over the creative delivery for MIME, HTML, text and mobile ads.
  • It allows deliverability experts to throttle deliveries by selecting mailing domain and IP pairs, granting access to stats on these individual paired delivery tools.
  • It would be nice to see the API's functionality introduced into the web client.
  • The reporting tools for transactional messages is different than the rest of the system. This promotes difficulty with getting accurate reporting in the web client, outside of an API call.
  • The custom fields are different for transactional messages, which introduces times when human error may flub the fields because they aren't contiguous throughout the product.
BlueHornet is an "all in one" solution for a business where they have a large database of users, but need a solid backbone for delivery and custom creative support. While companies like Message Systems allows a company to customize their solution, BlueHornet is ready to use out of the box.
Read Daniel Fox's full review
November 21, 2013

Mapp Digital Review: "BlueHornet - It's Not You, It's Me"

• Offers an easy to learn platform. Great for beginners who aren't familiar with Email Marketing to understand and master.
  • Great dynamics. Allows you to offer your subscribers very personalized messaging with ease.
  • Fantastic testing capabilities. Subject line, content, and button testing is quite flawless with this ESP.
  • Reporting is not as up to speed as some other ESP's. Pulling accurate reports is a manual task. Doesn't allow you to exclude test/null campaigns when exporting results.
  • Many issues with the platform, such as broken click-through reporting, automated campaign reporting, etc.
  • Far behind other ISP's are far as third-party integration. Does not allow you integrate other platforms within this ESP, or pull your statistics within MS Excel.
I would recommend a colleague to ask them basic questions regarding deliverability as well as highlight some issues they may have, to decide if BlueHornet can offer them guidance. I would also request a trial period to navigate the platform, and decide if it is best for your company. I would recommend this platform to businesses just starting out, over large, established companies.
Read Hannah Kennedy's full review
August 16, 2016

Mapp Digital Review: "BlueHornet: The date you'd introduce to your parents. Nothing flashy, but gets it done."

• BlueHornet's WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface for creating emails is easier to use than many platforms. Users appreciate this. BlueHornet makes it super simple to create a version specific for mobile devices.
  • I am a big fan of the custom data segmentation tools built into BlueHornet. They are powerful and easy to use. Many other ESPs, including a number of the top rated ones, do not have such powerful, easy to use segmentation tools. This matters. It helps a user send more relevant emails.
  • BlueHornet makes sharing to social networks simple. In this day and age, forwarding to a friend is dead. Sharing to social networks is essential. Having this be easy to do is very important.
  • While the WYSIWYG editor is generally strong, BlueHornet has an Achilles Heel: The editor breaks attempts to use responsive design. With over 50% of email getting opened on mobile devices, this is a major stumble.
  • The image library BlueHornet provides will frustrate users with a large library of imagery. 1) Accounts get a very small amount of storage. While this can be expanded, it would be better if it were unlimited. Storage is now so cheap, it is surprising to see it limited like this. 2) It is awkward to use. It does not allow folders for categorizing images by type. It would be a boon if it did.
  • As I have seen in other reviews here, their reporting features are industry laggards. It is difficult to pull historical trend information without having to pull individual send reports and aggregate them all oneself.
  • They have very limited support for relational data. While it is better than none, and I credit them for that, it has a ways to go to be competitive with the offerings of the true enterprise ESPs.
BlueHornet is a great platform for a small or medium size business that is graduating from the "free" platforms and wants more features. It delivers a generally easy to use interface and HTML editor. The concept of segments as implemented by Blue Hornet is not standard, but it allows fairly powerful segmentation capabilities that are easy for a marketer to use. Why choose a more complicated, expensive platform if you do not need or use their advanced features? Whistles and bells are attractive, but a potential user should be realistic about their immediate needs and the needs they will have over the next year. BlueHornet has seen some history of instability. If you need to send mission-critical transactional messages like password resets, it may not be the best choice, but for a budget-conscious email marketer, it is a reasonable option.
November 26, 2013

Mapp Digital Review: "Easy to Use Platform"

• Create emails.
  • Build lists.
  • Responsive email.
  • Tell you if your email will be flagged for spam.
  • The reporting features could be more robust and provide better reports. Items such as being able to see who forwarded an email, duration of email viewed and an overlay of the clicks on the actual email.
  • The price point could be lower or comparable to other EMS providers.
Ask for pricing for bulk emails, social emails, easy to configure and build lists
Read Ben Dishler's full review
November 25, 2013

Mapp Digital Review: "Blue Hornet suites my email marketing needs"

• Imports and exports of subscriber information are FAST.
  • Support from Katey Charles has been A+
  • Searching for subscribers is very tedious.
  • All time is in PST - scheduling messages would be easier if you could change it to your time zone.
First, have a plan. You cannot determine the right software fit without first understanding what your goals are. Have a plan for what your email campaign is going to look like, how you want to use it, and how you plan to measure the success of the campaign, then find out if the system can do what you need.
Read Pamela Rice's full review
December 10, 2013

Mapp Digital Review: "Good for simple, tough for complex"

• Our account team is very good - they know the ins and outs of the platform and are able to help us whenever we need it.
  • The platform, while not that powerful, is relatively easy to learn on your own.
  • The platform is not as advanced as most of their competitors. Setting up and testing campaigns with more than one version can easily become cumbersome and inefficient.
  • Some tasks in the platform are a lot more difficult to complete than they should be.
I would say it probably depends a lot on how complex their campaigns are going to be. If they are on the more complex side, I would recommend seeking a different platform. If they have relatively simple campaigns, I think this would be a good fit for them.
November 21, 2013

Mapp Digital Review: "BlueHornet: A bit simpler, but with amazing customer support!"

• The user interface is easy to use.
  • It wasn't too complicated.
  • Finding what we needed was usually pretty easy.
  • Segmentation for lists that we imported could have been organized better
  • We did not have any template designs for emails
It was simpler than Exact Target, didn't offer as many bells and whistles but if you don't even need those, then it's way easier to use. And has great customer service for help
January 21, 2013

Mapp Digital Review: "Chose over HootSuite because of support."

• It is very good support for all social media management, engagement, and posting. There are features that most other platforms do not offer (reposting and calendar views to name a few).
  • I am a big fan of Argyle. The only thing I would suggest is to add integration with LinkedIn Groups.
The features they offered were better than any others I have seen so far. You can create custom URLs, white label to where when things get posted onto your social profiles it says "posted via YOUR COMPANY," measure anything and everything, set goals with monetary value to accurately track ROI, and many more awesome things.

WYSIWYG email editor (1)
Dynamic content (1)
2.7
Ability to test dynamic content (1)
2.7
A/B testing (1)
Mobile optimization (1)
3.6
Email deliverability (1)
List management (1)
4.5
Triggered drip sequences (1)
Dashboards (1)
Standard reports (1)
5.5
Custom reports (1)

About Mapp Digital

Built by marketers for marketers, Mapp is a family of software and customer-centric services including a sophisticated data management platform; tools that optimise email, mobile, app, social and web marketing; and campaign management and strategy consulting. Mapp Digital was created by the combination of BlueHornet and the digital-marketing related applications business purchased from Teradata Corporation in July 2016. Other components include Argyle Social, Epoxy (a mobile push app), and FLXone (a DMP product).

Mapp Digital Competitors