MasterControl has been used at our healthcare system since 2012. It is utilized by various clinical departments including the Pathology Department, Clinical Laboratory, Bone Marrow Transplant Services, etc. It is to record deviations, CAPA, document control and staff training relayed to documents and competencies. We are a regulated industry and document control is required by several of our regulators. After a long search, MasterControl was selected because of its versatility to be used for many different departments including Blood and Biologics and Manufacturing departments.
- MasterControl removes the needs for book shelves of binders through out multiple sites. Keeping all the binders up to date is a manual process and takes time, space and lots of duplication of paper. There is an electronic copy available to those who need it from any device in house. The most recent version is always available.
- MasterControl has security in place so those with a need to know have access to their documents, while blocking other departments from even seeing the content of others. All actions are recorded in an audit trail for users and documents.
- Document, Training and Quality modules all link together. A deviation will link to the document deviated against, which can create an action to edit the document or retrain selected staff on the documents contents.
- Their new report writer is not user friendly yet. MasterControl has listened to its clients and have been making small changes to assist reporting. There is still room for improvement though.
- Rapid company growth means many new staff. Some tech support staff know less than the customers they are supporting.
MasterControl is very flexible in all modules. A manufacturing department and a nursing unit can both use the same modules with all their needs met. System configuration can be accomplished at a broad and or granular level. Each document, incident, user etc can have a customized configuration for its unique workflow. The application is web-based and available on a variety of platforms. Security allows staff to access what they need from the workplace, remotely from a client site to home. While I work in healthcare, I can talk to other MasterControl clients in the oil industry or Pharma and we still can provide suggestions to each other about new or unique uses for MasterControl. I
The Technical Support team has grown exponentially over the last couple years. Some front line support staff are new to the system and so know less than the clients do. Back line staff are more seasoned and provide immediate assistance to the front line staff. They have an extensive knowledge bank to assist them as well as client access to most KB articles. Annual user group conference gives us chance to meet the support staff an also to resolve any outstanding issues. Any critical vendor notices are emailed immediately when found and a patch offered at the same time. These are rare, but quickly resolved.