MeisterTask Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Kinga Odziemek profile photo
MeisterTask was implemented to support project management and team collaboration. The whole team uses it. We had tried a lot of tools before MeisterTask but actually, only this one solved some of our problems. Also, it is incredibly easy to get through the onboarding process—the whole team implemented it very quickly and with pleasure.
  • Unlimited project boards
  • User-friendly panel
  • Intuitive on boarding
  • Mobile app!
MeisterTask will work great with especially big projects that involve a lot of people within your team. It helps you keep any project on track and avoid misunderstandings since everyone has access to the tool. I highly recommend it for organizations that struggle with project management and can't handle delegating tasks.
Read Kinga Odziemek's full review
Robyn Mays profile photo
Meister Task was used by our whole organisation as a project management app. We needed a software to keep everyone accountable to their tasks, follow up on deadlines etc.
  • Brilliant UI
  • Very easy to navigate
  • Easy to collaborate on projects
  • Great for keeping to deadlines
  • There are project management tools that are more advanced. However, for a free tool it is great
Meister Task is one of the best project management tools one can use that is free. It is great for people who value a clean interface that looks good. It is also great for people who need a small learning curve.
Read Robyn Mays's full review
MeisterTask is being used as a cross-country project follow-up tool. It helps with the quick organization and follow-up of tasks. Its mobile capability increases ease of use by team members.
For example, our headquarter team usually leads country-specific projects and those projects involve teams from different regions. Previously those projects had weekly regular meetings when tasks were reviewed and discussed. It was difficult to get together more often as the resources had busy schedules.
With MeisterTask, now it is much easier for team members to communicate any time without meeting setup. With the mobile devices, updating tasks, asking questions and adding comments take minimum time, increasing efficiency through the organization.
  • Setting up projects and resources are quite easy.
  • Free version has a lot features.
  • Communication between team members is quite easy, asking and answering questions, assignment to other members, and submitting progress are some quick and painless operations.
  • Friendly user interface and easy learning curve.
  • Some detailed task definitions may be difficult to implement.
  • Those using traditional project tools may find MeisterTask a little bit superficial and scattered.
  • Often you may need additional tools to complete the inefficiencies of Kanban board (no analytics for team performance, lack of time planning, etc.).
  • Reports and analytics are limited.
When you are geographically distant, MeisterTask is really helpful for quick questions and status updates.
Tyler Grudowski profile photo
MeisterTask is such a fantastic productivity tool. We currently have four people working for NoMo Diagnostics full-time, and then we contract some of our work out to software engineers and computer scientists. MeisterTask allows us to write up various tasks that we need to get done, assign them to the correct people, and follow them through to completion.
  • I really like how MeisterTask organizes things. It is a fantastic layout, making it super simple to track who is in charge of what items/deliverables and how complete each task is.
  • The privacy features on each project are great. MeisterTask lets you add people to certain parts of each project and not others. This is very helpful because a lot of our projects need to be kept under NDA, and we can avoid ever contractor having to sign one by just giving them access to the exact parts they need and not others.
  • MeisterTask is extremely user-friendly. Everyone that I have added to our project boards has been able to understand how to use the program right away. That is extremely important, since I do not want to have a learning curve for the project management software when onboarding someone for a project.
  • I really wish there was a tab to create a Gantt Chart on MeisterTask. This would be extremely helpful to track the progress of a project as a whole.
  • Some of the controls are not intuitive. For instance, you can select an individual person to see only their respective tasks, which is super helpful. But, to unselect that person and go back to the overview, you have to refresh the page and then hit the back button. This is super inconvenient to do every time.
  • One other feature I wish was included it a "percentage complete" tracker that showed what percentage is done with each task people are on.
MeisterTask is definitely the best free online project management program out there. It is fantastic at keeping things organized and making them readily available to all members of a project group. If you are looking for a software that can show statistics such as a Gantt chart, you may want to look for other products.
Read Tyler Grudowski's full review
Daniel Cruz profile photo
I really love that Meistertask has a timer feature to track how much time my team spends on projects. I use Meistertask in my whole organization to manage projects and tasks. Being able to create tons of separate projects and share with certain people is great. Being able to comment on specific to-dos is great. Being able to collaborate with people and share is great. I really like the MeisterTask interface. Clean, beautiful and organized.
  • Have the multiple columns that you can name and customize is really cool.
  • I love how it is web-based and ready for users of all experience levels
  • Really good free version, a fair pricing structure in general for what you get.
  • Would be nice to have a timeline view of the tasks that are either to do or pending.
  • Sometimes has been buggy, but nothing that hinders the user experience. For example, the background on the home screen often does not load on slow network connections and makes it impossible to read project names, forcing the user to reload the page.
  • There is no offline access
The best part about Meistertask is how dead simple it is, while still absolutely nailing what it needs to really get right. Meistertask makes task management dead simple for me and keeps the detail out of the way unless I specifically need it.
Read Daniel Cruz's full review
Mario Pires profile photo
Since we started with MeisterTask we have developed a much more agile communication. Email exchanged dropped to almost zero on some projects run on MeisterTask. We can now have an overlook of the status of each project and how is in charge of what. These guys made a great job and it works seamlessly on every platform. Couldn't live without :-)
  • Very user-friendly
  • Easy learning curve
  • Amazing apps on all devices
  • More power-ups. I know simple is good but sometimes we like additional small tweaks
  • Calendar view is missing
  • Project start date is missing
MeisterTask is just like Trello but sexier.
Suitable to manage projects either personal or professional in a very agile way.
It is very useful to manage team projects with internal teams or external suppliers or even managing projects with clients.
I use it to manage tickets with suppliers and avoid emails going back and forward.
Read Mario Pires's full review
Amy Beth Byrd profile photo
I do graphic design, e-commerce, and also manage the eBay selling for a client. I'm self-employed and don't currently have any employees working for me. However, my work gets very complicated because it's almost as if I'm managing three different businesses. For the two separate e-commerce businesses, my own and those of my clients, I have separate sets of inventory, shipments, listings, photos for the listings, product research, payments and invoices, etc., to keep up with, and then there's also the graphic design.
Because there are so many details to keep up with within three separate contexts, trying to keep up with it all while tying it together into one, cohesive big picture so that I can prioritize tasks is very difficult for one person.

Over the past three years, I've tried more project management solutions than I can list or even bring to mind at the moment. The book "Getting Things Done" was a game-changer for me, but finding a system that helped me to implement it was a different story. Using Evernote alone just didn't work for me. Because my work involves so many different sets of files, links, and notes, I was soon buried under an avalanche of notes and notebooks, plus I needed more online links than offline notes. I needed a solution that was more geared towards task management, would allow for separation of the different contexts but would also tie them together, would allow enough customization to fit my unique situation, was attractive to look at (as I'm a visual thinker), but was user-friendly enough that it didn't require watching hours of video tutorials before you could even begin. The closest thing I found to meet my needs was IQTell, but then the app unfortunately closed down. Just when I'd decided I'd tried them all, I found MeisterTask. I can honestly say it is unlike any other solution I've tried, and it has simplified what was a very complicated situation.
  • One of the best features is the main dashboard. From there, you have your list of projects, each of which take you to their own separate pages. You can subdivide your projects into groups. Tasks can be added from within a project's own separate page, but you also have the option to add tasks from the main dashboard, with a drop-down box to choose which project it belongs to. Any task from any project can be starred for importance, and the starred tasks will be visible in a prominent place on the dashboard, so that's one way the dashboard ties the boards together. The projects are similar to Trello's boards, but Trello falls short because there's no main dashboard to tie them all together into one big picture. There are tabs for the notifications and time tracking. The dashboard has a gorgeous interface, and the buttons are nicely spaced out. In the settings, it gives you the option to choose a compact interface if you prefer.
  • MeisterTask has an attractive and user-friendly interface. For example, some other apps that offer some of the same features, such as Todoist, require more tedious steps to access those features. One example is, if you save a web link as a task, you can click on that web link from the task's description without having to actually open up that task into its own separate window first, and it will open up the webpage right from there, saving you an extra step, whereas with Todoist, Toodledo, and several others like it, you had to go through several extra clicks and drop-down boxes to accomplish a lot of simple tasks like tagging or accessing saved web links, or else hunt around for tiny buttons with the mouse, because everything was crammed together too tightly. It also gives you a lot more options to customize the colors and appearance than most apps out there. If you save a photo as an attachment, it shows a preview of the photo, instead of just a paperclip icon, which makes it easier to tell at a glance what the attachment actually is.
  • MeisterTask has the right balance of complexity and simplicity. Every other solution I've tried is either so complicated that it adds more work or doesn't offer enough features to manage much complication.
  • Integrations. MeisterTask offers more integrations than any other solution I've seen so far. GitHub, Zendesk, Dropbox, Box, etc., not to mention their own MindMeister. Even more are possible through the use of Zapier and IFTTT.
  • Easy learning curve. You can get started using MeisterTask in five minutes. Many other solutions with comparable features require watching video tutorials just to get started.
  • I'd like to see a Chrome extension where you can save a webpage as a task with one click.
  • I wish you could edit the names of lists within projects once they're created, as opposed to having to create a new list and migrate the tasks to the new one and delete the old.
  • I wish the dashboard had the option to show only the starred tasks in the task list, as opposed to only having them go to the top of the list of all tasks. My list of tasks from different projects is so long that there's no need to list them all in one place, as the list becomes too overwhelming, so I have no use for that feature.
MeisterTask is great for any situation where there are multiple projects with lots of details, complication, multiple people working on a project, and different contexts to work with. It's probably less appropriate for a simple situation where there is less to keep up with, for instance, individual, personal use where someone just needs a simple to-do list.
Read Amy Beth Byrd's full review
Christian Clément profile photo
February 20, 2017

Go to the essential

Meistertask is really what I need to manage my tasks and the project's tasks. Depending on the context, I use a static or Kanban board. You can easily configure it like you want, share with the team and keep the overview.

Before using it, we compared it with other competitors, but Meistertask is one of the best: easy to use, without features you don't need, very intuitive and quick. With it, you can be very efficient. What I really like is the smartphone app. Before I managed only my tasks on my laptop. The app is so quick and easy I do everything from it.
  • Manage tasks from the app
  • Apply rules from Kanban board
  • Share tasks with a team
  • Keep the overview about the progress of the projects
  • Tasks ordering accdoring to date
  • Show the year in the date
Well suited:
- Project management
- Kanban Board for development teams
- Own private tasks tracking
Less appropriate:
- Progress and time tracking
Read Christian Clément's full review
Ralf Gerhardt profile photo
I am using Meistertask in my agency for planning and strategy and this tool happens to be perfect for that task. Too many plans can be a big problem when you don't have the budget and manpower to make all those plans a reality. And for me Meistertask gives me a platform to sort all this out and come up with detailed, doable strategies. I know it is meant as a project management software, but it can be perfectly customized for strategic planning. Thanks to the vendor for this great tool and not to forget the aesthetic background images I really love :-) :-).
  • Easy overview of projects
  • Aesthetic platform
  • Easy to customize
  • Easy to view
  • For me everything works fine except problems using it mobile - crashes easily.
Read Ralf Gerhardt's full review
Bernie J Mitchell profile photo
I am a freelancer and work mainly on my own. I [started using] Meister Task after I used the mind mapping app Meister also makes.

The HUGE value for me is being able to empty my head into a mind map, play around with ideas and then group them into tasks and then send them to a time-dependent tool like MindMeister.
  • Both the iOS and Android app were GREAT from the beginning. Also you can easily open a mind map in the iOS app from the task app. AND it works off line - so far I have not had an issue with re-syncing.
  • Built in time tracking. I only use this for myself, not for tracking how other people work - it gives me a concrete idea of my own productivity. (Mobile and Online sync in real time.)
  • It is really fun to use! I know this sounds simple, but the bright and colourful design of this app makes it fun and positive to use! It is at the opposite end of the path to some 'dark corporate' UXs.
  • It only "talks to" to Slack and MS 365 - Of course there is a Zapier connector - but I'd like to be able to easily move tasks out of here to other programs like Trello that I use with other teams.
  • A full view calendar would be very welcome!
This tool REALLY works for me because of how it is connected to the mind mapping tool and this SAVES hours (and paper) when thinking through the project and then turning the thought into a timeline in a tool.

It is one thing to have a planner/roadmap but the luxury of feeding in that tool from a mind map can not be underestimated!
Read Bernie J Mitchell's full review
Mihály Gerstmajer profile photo
I switched to MeisterTask when my team was to make a (IMHO) bad decision about which solution to use for task, time and project management, hence I'm using it alone (I hope that's going to change) and transfer data from it to the one the team chose. In that one I had difficulties prioritizing my own tasks, breaking them down in smaller chunks, tracking time spent on each one, and the files that were task or project related... They were scattered widely in emails and on different machines of the team. There's another problem that it could address if we were using it as team: communication, focused on project and task. While it has email integration and mobile access, none of those are used by the team in the other solution either. Though I imagine email notifications could operate as an alarm function for due dates.
  • Kanban-like approach. The lists, cards and checklists are great when it comes to micro-management of tasks and their details.
  • Time tracking. This one is a must and it is done well.
  • Task relations. It's good to be able to put some connections between the tasks, regardless of the nature of the relation (simply being related, marking blocks or duplicates).
  • Comments and attachments are the base of task-focused communication between team members. Alas, no benefit from that for me right now. I'm only making notes to myself.
  • Calendar integration. Due date should be visible on a calendar. And they are.
  • Pro version enables workflow management by adding actions to lists. Nothing too complicated. But in turn, that makes it efficient.
  • Using together with MindMeister (a bit limited) project-wide overview is possible.
  • Support. Its quick to respond and it does a terrific job at answering questions, regarding both speed and detail.
  • Exporting data about time tracked. It'd be awesome if its detail level could be user-configured. Then again, I need that for importing the data into another system, hence it might not be that important for others.
  • Due dates are there. Estimates for time requirements are missing, therefore nothing Gantt-like either. And I miss those dearly.
  • Quick access to some features could be achieved using context menu items or clicking deails without having to open the actual task (setting priority, tags, due dates, etc.)
Sure, as there's no such thing as "one size fits all" there's not a single tool that is good at everything. It feels insufficient for project management on a higher level, where gazing at lists and cards is simply not enough, making calculations on the fly quickly escalate to 'impossible'. Putting the tasks on a Gantt diagram would be a great help. And this is where the lack of time requirement becomes a blocker.
Read Mihály Gerstmajer's full review
Terri Harmon profile photo
All of my clients that I am working with are all on one screen, so that everyone I am working with is top of mind. I slide them over to a new column as they progress. I have checklists set up that I can add as necessary, all forms that pertain to their account are added, all notes as I speak to them, and this takes seconds. It has made my life worry-free because I don't miss a thing since it is all on one screen. I also have a project set up for my other businesses, my reading agenda, thank yous to send out, and anything I want to keep top of mind. I can add things from my Meister mind mapping when I need it too. I have shown so many how to use this simple and responsive application because I think it is the answer to so many problems and worries. DEFINITELY try this and see if you don't feel the same way about it.
  • Checklists can be set up and then added as necessary
  • Notes added so easily
  • Your whole agenda can be on one screen so nothing is left to chance.
  • Add any attachments.
  • Use for everything in your life that you would like to track. Great for tracking and keeping things top of mind
  • Use with other programs. I use with Meister Mind Mapping. Mindmeister
  • Due dates can be added.
  • The training isn't available on the app, but they have been exceptional to work with. They do have a training website. But the moment I ask a question, they have an answer back to me. Honestly, I feel I have a relationship with them and it has just been in the communication efforts they have given.
It can be set up for any business. MeisterTask is easy to use and very well worth the set up time, which is simple.
Read Terri Harmon's full review
Alpesh Nakrani profile photo
We generally use MeisterTask to collaborate within the team to do day to day tasks. And also manage the time tracking for the same. It makes it easy to quickly view the summary of the tasks from a management perspective and for the work of the team lead, manager, seniors, and end users.
  • Quick
  • Easy
  • Free
  • Engaging
  • Some UI changes are needed
  • Need more features in both free and paid versions
Let say you are holding a small business or a freelancing business and you want your team and work managed with ease and a simple management, this application works as the charm and you can expect Trello like features for a quick overview. Also, time tracking is a great feature which is really helpful for small business owners and freelancers who are working on hour based projects.
Read Alpesh Nakrani's full review

Task Management (12)
Workflow Automation (12)
6.6
Team Collaboration (12)
Support for Agile Methodology (10)
Email integration (10)
Mobile Access (12)
Timesheet Tracking (9)

About MeisterTask

MeisterTask is a task management and collaboration tool. It aims to let teams manage tasks in a beautifully designed and customizable environment, which is designed to be intuitive. The vendor says MeisterTask's project boards adapt to any team’s workflow, making it suitable for managing everything from software sprints to editorial calendars. According to the vendor, while other task management apps often only visualize work, MeisterTask takes it one step further by automating recurring steps in users' workflows to help them work more efficiently and consistently.

MeisterTask is developed by Meister, the company behind the online mind mapping tool MindMeister. An integration between MindMeister and MeisterTask enables users to turn their brainstorms directly into agile project boards and their ideas into actionable tasks.

MeisterTask is available as a web app and offers apps for Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Android devices. The mobile apps come with offline functionality so users can stay on top of their to-dos even when not connected to the internet.