Mention Reviews

Mark Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 14, 2020

Mention: Don't Miss Another Customer Complaint or Essential Brand Mention Again.

Mention is a great tool for a Marketing department to catch critical mentions of your brand across the internet. However, it is also a great tool for Customer Service or whoever is managing your Social Media accounts. I found that Mention helped me most by finding customer complaints that were lost within strange forums, websites or even simply missed on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram feeds.
  • Easy to use dashboard
  • Filters and Boolean Search optional with more expensive packages
  • Can be difficult to refine a search without assistance from Mention rep
  • While better than competitors, Mention can still miss important mentions if searches aren't set up properly
I would ask if they have ever used a software like Mention before, if not, I would totally suggest they start with it. It's easy to use, easy to set up and while it may be confusing at first, it's probably the cheapest and most effective. My suggestion to a new marketer or first-time user of this kind of software would be Mention.
Read Mark Anderson's full review
Kenny King | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2019

Mention Can Help You Improve Exposure of Your Business

Mention is being used to track business mentions for our company. It is mostly used to find remarks on the web that are not linked back to our website. This allows our company to contact websites mentioning our brand and asking them for a link. Mention automates the tedious task of manually searching for places where our company is being mentioned but not linked to, saving me and my team hours and hours of work. The links we acquire using Mention also help us improve dramatically in search engine rankings, increasing our organic traffic.
  • Mention is very easy to set up.
  • Mention has a simple interface and is very easy to navigate.
  • Mention's price point is not always affordable.
  • A good feature that Mention should add is the ability to email websites directly from the platform.
Mention is excellent for businesses or professionals that want to automate finding mentions of their brand name online. The internet is big and getting bigger every day, so it's a very tedious task to try and find every occurrence of your business name online. This uncovers so many opportunities to connect with sites that a business will know are already interested in them. Smaller companies that know they have not been mentioned much online will not need a service like Mention as much, but I would recommend, as they grow, to use a solution like Mention.
Read Kenny King's full review
April 14, 2020

Great as an additional monitoring service

We use Mention as an additional component to other online monitoring services. Key words are monitored for mentions on blogs, forums and online news sites.
  • Easy to review and digest email alerts on key search words
  • Catches mentions other services have missed
  • Some searches are not as accurate and we get some irrelevant results
We value Mention as an additional online monitoring service. It works well as it does catch placements we otherwise might have missed.
Maddy Osman | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 24, 2019

Finding all my brand mentions -- both good and bad

The Blogsmith uses Mention to determine where the brand is being talked about online, especially unlinked mentions. It's useful for getting an alert when an interview goes live, finding people who are republishing my content without permission, and learning about article mentions I wouldn't otherwise know about.
  • Tracks brand mentions across the web.
  • Find people who are republishing your content without permission.
  • Find conversations that your brand should be a part of.
  • Compared to related tools, it doesn't catch every single mention.
  • Pricing doesn't scale well for a freelancer wanting to use it across a few clients.
Mention is great for brands who want a mechanism for tracking and exploring almost any public brand mention. What it may not do as well is use related keywords to help you find leads for your company.
Read Maddy Osman's full review
Andy Abramson | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 20, 2019

Don't Mention It

Mention has been an on again, off again service we have used either on behalf of the agency or agency clients. I thought after a year or so away that I would find the product more up to date but it feels like in the recent trial that the product hasn't changed that much after a hiatus from using it. In general Mention provides a nice way to capture social activity, but at the end of the day, I am finding, especially with Twitter, that the Twitter UI is faster for me to find what I'm looking for and to see how things are playing out with retweets, comments and more.
  • Captures what's on the various social networks quite well.
  • Provides a daily summary that makes it possible to see what's happening on the social networks for the ID's I'm following or the keywords being tracked.
  • Enables the ability to see the activity of multiple social networks in a single combined recap each day.
  • Mention is an older platform and in this rapidly changing world and "need it now," I'm not feeling it's really there yet.
  • I'm having to create my own social tracking using IFTTT and Zapier to be ahead of the curve. I wish Mention was as fast.
Mention is well suited for small businesses who need to track their activities or large companies with a team dedicated totally to social. Anything in between I think other services are more up to date. Those services are focused on immediacy, not recapping, and in the era where social media and fake news drive rumors, the need to know is paramount.
Read Andy Abramson's full review
Tim Cigelske | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 19, 2019

A lightweight solution for monitoring across social media platforms

I currently use Mention to monitor keywords in social media both for myself and the institution. It's used primarily by me, the director of integrated marketing. Using Mention I'm able to track multiple keywords plus combinations of keywords as they are used across social media platforms such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
  • Tracking multiple keywords together in one search.
  • Providing a daily email digest of top mentions.
  • Tracking the most influential people using the key terms.
  • Hits plan limit for search terms rather quickly if you have broad terms.
  • Could have better third-party integration.
Mention is well suited if you are a PR agency tracking brand sentiment and mentions from influential parties. Less suited if you want to integrate them into third-party management tools for responses.
Read Tim Cigelske's full review
Jon Padgett | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 19, 2019

A great all-around social listening tool, with a few caveats

Our marketing department uses Mention for social listening across the web, including social media.
  • It picks up mentions of monitored keywords better than any other we've tried.
  • You can set up boolean searches (an available option for some plans) for advanced searches and negative keywords.
  • You can exclude monitoring by language and country, if you don't want to monitor the entire web.
  • It updates frequently and can set up email alerts.
  • No Facebook monitoring.
  • You cannot interact with Instagram posts through their interface (you have to click on IG posts in Mention to open them up in Instagram in order to like/comment/etc).
  • We cannot exclude keywords from account names (negative keywords in boolean searches only work for the body of the post/tweet, not the account name).
  • Negative keywords of only one character (e.g., "£") don't appear to work.
We use Mention alongside Hootsuite to make sure we capture all mentions of our brand and products, not just those that have been tagged. If you want to have confidence that you're picking up all mentions (excluding Facebook) around the web, Mention delivers. It catches far more mentions than Google Alerts.
Read Jon Padgett's full review
Mark Barrera | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 13, 2019

Mention is a must have for any PR effort.

Mention is being used primarily to monitor the web and social channels for any coverage of our brand. It helps us know who is talking about us so that we can join the conversation in real time. It is a crucial part of our PR strategy to be able to know the voice of our customers across the Internet and participate when relevant.
  • Finds mentions of our brand across social channels
  • Able to find references to our brand that other tools miss
  • The preview tool is great and takes you directly to the spot in the content that you are mentioned so that you don't have to hunt it down.
  • Speed of loading the previews could be enhanced. Sometimes takes a while to load.
  • Having some of the enterprise capabilities in the lower tier subscriptions would be nice. Would love to not have to pay hundreds more a month just for the ability to export mentions to a CSV
Great way to track your brand mentions and stay on top of the conversations across the Internet tied to your brand. They do have some social media tools but we don't find these to be needed or useful for our needs. Their integrations with Zapier, Slack and others are also great. It is a great monitoring tool and at a great price.
Read Mark Barrera's full review
Sasha Jacobsen | TrustRadius Reviewer

SashPrime's Mention Review

I use it personally and relay the information to those in my department. We use it to track our activity on social and gauge our marketing efforts. On a personal level, it's easier than sorting through mentions in singular apps.
  • Clean Interface
  • Does exactly what the name implies - tracks mentions
  • Offers for free and paid plans make it an obvious choice
  • Not as detailed as perhaps I would like
  • Paid plans too expensive for some companies
I would encourage people to try it, especially for tracking mentions on Twitter. Twitters integrated mentions are bloated, TweetDeck is also bloated, Mention is clean and easy to use and gives you the information you're looking for.
Read Sasha Jacobsen's full review
Cheryl Gress | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 12, 2019

Highly recommended!

We use Mention to be aware of what people around the internet are saying about us.
  • Social media tracking (Twitter, Facebook).
  • Popular website link backs (Reddit, 4chan).
  • Rates the popularity of the sites talking about yours.
  • Could do without our own social media links.
Mention is a great product to use if you want to know what people are saying about your site/brand.
Read Cheryl Gress's full review
Josh Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 13, 2019

Use Mention If You Care About Your Brand's Online Presence (Seriously!)

At Softorino, we develop our own software solutions. And when we launch our software, we receive a wave of press related articles and mentions. It's not easy to monitor who and what was said about your brand or product online. We discovered Mention and use it as an online and social media monitoring tool. It helps us monitor what people say about our products online 24/7.

Whenever a news article mentions our apps or someone posts a review or comments online with our brand/app name – we receive a notification allowing us to react and share this information even further. Long story short, Mention keeps a finger on our pulse of "online presence. It became a strong tool to maintain and build relationships with thought-leaders online.

• Monitors all web content and finds any information that is being published that is related to our brand or software solution.
  • We are notified on a daily basis with a list of mentions from news websites, forums and social channels. This is super important because we are always aware of the current product status and opinion from people. We are always ready to react to any negative or positive online mention.
  • We are able to see who mentions us the most from the reports made by Mention. As a result, we can invest more into the channels that mention us a lot and expand exposure even more.
  • Inaccurate mentions. At least once a day, we receive inaccurate mentions that are not related to us at all but they do have our brand name there. I assume this is not Mention's fault because they use the keywords we provide to them. But I think they can improve it but making their system smarter and adapt to valid mentions from the past.
  • The price. We don't use Mention for all of the features and we wish it'd be cheaper. We're a small company, so pricing is always an important part of making a decision.
  • Doesn't always catch your company mention. In most cases, it alerts us of all popular mentions but there are still times when a blog posts was posted but Mention did not catch it.
To be honest, Mention is perfect for any scenario if you have a brand and care about your online presence. I've been in marketing most of my professional career – and knowing what your customer thinks about your product is at the highest priority. For any business or PR team, this is food for your creativity and reputation. Mention is the go-to tool you need to make it happen.

It's great to always have the social mentions delivered to you via email or Slack. This is also something we're super happy about. Whenever someone mentions our brand or app, we receive a Slack notification for the entire team to see. We can always hop on quickly to react if it's a customer reaching out to us online with a question or delighted feedback.
Read Josh Brown's full review
Aaron Treguboff | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 16, 2019

Mention: the best tool you didn't know you needed!

Currently, Mention is being used only by the Marketing department and honestly, only by myself! I manage all the SEO and social media projects in the department and find that I'm generally the only person that uses Mention daily. I use Mention for two specific tasks. First, I use it all the time to monitor social mentions that do not explicitly tag our company. This helps me keep track of potential issues, sale leads, and more in one easy to monitor software. The second major task I use the software for is SEO link building. In particular, I use Mention to find unlinked brand mentions. Using Mention I have been able to find and obtain many backlinks for the company and occasionally, ask for our company name to be removed from a site we do not wish to be associated with. With my busy schedule, I honestly couldn't succeed in these tasks if I didn't have Mention!
  • Alerts!!! Mention allows total customization of what they call Alerts. You are able to set up monitored pages, sources, and locations, keywords, set color of alert for quick reference and more.
  • Negative keywords! It is super easy to add in keywords and phrases that you do not want pulled into an alert. Making it super easy to set up an alert to monitor your brand, but excluded any mentions of job postings!
  • The UI of the software is clean and easy to read! Makes it easy to scan quickly and see all the most current mentions you have set up to track
  • It integrates with Slack. If you are addicted to Slack, you will rejoice. If you don't understand why this matters, then I recommend downloading Slack today!
  • Yes, I just said it is clean and easy to use, but there is always room for improvement in even the most perfect software. I would personally love to see the ability to custom message options a bit more or just customize the look and feel of your dashboard.
  • Bugs. Mention works great 95% of the time. The other 5%, you may run into major crashes or see mentions that you cleared coming back, etc., but nothing that is a deal breaker or unexpected with a tool like this. Worth noting nonetheless!
  • Better plans. This is a small issue, but I wish the lower plans has some basic reporting.
Mention is perfect if you are looking for a fairly inexpensive software that will help you monitor your brand reputation, help you discover SEO opportunities, and potentially help you generate sales revenue. While I know Mention can work with bigger companies, I personally feel this fits the SMB market the best. On the other hand, Mention may not be for you if you have a mega brand and need to see sentiment analysis.
Read Aaron Treguboff's full review
Matthew Finneran | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 06, 2018

A lightweight and affordable solution for monitoring your brand and others' on social media

I've used Mention since the early days and they've really come a long way. They're such a great alternative to the insanely expensive guys who do social media monitoring. The enterprise guys will charge 6 figures (at least) and they certainly give a lot, but Mention is a lightweight solution that has pricing listed on their site and will really get you where you need to go if you're trying to monitor your own and competitor social channels and mentions.
  • Easy to review found posts
  • Easy to setup and start seeing it immediately working
  • Great notifications
  • They keep getting better at this but this is a hard thing for anyone—and that's monitoring generic names of companies like Delta. It's tough to filter out where someone may be saying "Delta" in a way that doesn't apply to the airline. Again, that's tough for everyone, but they have the same issue.
We used it to monitor @mentions and regular mentions of our competitors. It's really helpful for monitoring marketing campaigns from someone else. For example, you can see when they launch a new campaign because you'll see all of the retweets/shares and you can prepare for it if need be. You can also get a quick understanding of news that's coming out about your competitors. It's also simply great for monitoring your own brand and ensuring that you know and see lots of convos coming through about your brand and don't miss them.
Read Matthew Finneran's full review
February 04, 2019

Mention powers your PR team

Mention is used by the marketing department as a social listening tool.

It solves a few business problems for us:
  • It lets us track what people say about our brand and our competitors on social media.
  • We can easily find people who talk about subjects of interest to us.
  • Mention ranks 'influencers' for those topics of interest. We then reach out to those influencers to share our content with them.
  • Mention has nice support and implementation function. They will do some of the harder work for you (e.g. refining your alerts).
  • It helps us to easily track and rank influencers, which improves the effectiveness of our Public Relations (PR).
  • You can filter and refine alerts e.g. by language. This is useful if you want to break into new markets.
  • It can be hard to set up the alerts, especially if you're tracking a popular term. You need to use boolean language (which Mention will help with) to ensure proper setup.
  • The pricing can be a little steep for smaller businesses.
  • They're pushing to be an all-in-one social media management solution. It works well, but I'd rather just have the social listening tool and reduce the cost. Perhaps they could segment their pricing by feature?
Mention is the ultimate tool for PR teams. Social media is very popular and it's difficult to keep track of what people are saying about your brand and your market without a social listening tool like Mention. It also offers social media management tools if you need those.

Their strength and heritage lie in social listening, which is where their product shines.
December 04, 2018

A great tool for seeing your press and social media mentions

Just like it sounds, mention helps us keep track of mentions in social media and blog posts. Whenever someone tweets a post of ours or links to un in a blog post, we get those notifications delivered to our inbox. It's used by our marketing and it helps us keep track of PR
  • Daily notifications
  • Web scraping
  • Dashboard customization
  • Sometimes it misses certain web mentions
I can't imagine a scenario in which you wouldn't want to use Mention. You can use it to monitor your own brand, and your sales team can monitor it for conversations about your company, then hop in and do some social selling. Overall it's a really helpful tool at a low price.
Heidi Butkus | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 23, 2018

Mention: The Best Kept Secret for Social Media Marketing!

I use Mention to monitor mentions of my company on social media. We are a small company, so I am the only one that uses it. I get daily emails that show our top mentions of the day with links to each of them. I can also go to the Mention website and see ALL of the mentions, rather than just the top few. I often find Tweets, Instagram, and Facebook posts that mention my company, HeidiSongs.com, where I sell educational music and video collections for young children. I am then able to repost these and thank the poster! Occasionally, I have found some complaints that I have been able to handle immediately, so that I can do some instant damage control to protect my brand online. I find this to be an invaluable tool, and I only have used the free service!
I have recommended Mention to many of my friends that are in business, and they have ALL started using it- and love it! Mention is one of the best kept secrets for the small business owner on that uses social media marketing!
  • Mention allows you to filter out certain websites that you do not need mentions from, such as Pinterest. For example, I do not need an alert each time someone repins one of my photos. Once I filtered that website out, I was able to easily stay within the 100 mentions per month that are allowed on the free plan.
  • Mention gives you a link to the actual social media post where you can find your brands "shout out." This is great, because it is quick and easy to go to the post and thank the poster for their mention. You do not have to visit the Mention website to do this unless you want to.
  • Mention allows you to mark certain website's mentions of you as irrelevant. I appreciate this, because there are always certain "spammy" types of mentions that come up here and there, and I don't want to waste any of my 100 free monthly mentions on that!
  • It did take me a while to figure out how to filter out the websites that I didn't need and focus only on what I needed the most. Perhaps this could be explained a little bit better.
Mention is great because you can put in certain words or phrases for it to look for, and not just actual tags of your brand name. For example, since my brand is HeidiSongs.com, but is often misspelled as Heidi's Songs (and other variations of the name), I can put in as many words and phrases as I like to pull in as many mentions as possible. On the other hand, I don't need to know if someone pins something from my website to Pinterest, so I filter that out.
Read Heidi Butkus's full review
Stephen Thomas | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 02, 2018

Mention May Be The Only Tool Of Its Kind And Ahead Of The Game

An Invaluable Tool Long Overdue For Small Businesses

Mention is used to gauge the interaction and quality of our social media content. We use the data to improve our content and gain insight into what our audience likes or dislikes. Seeing the click-through rate of our material helps with developing exciting content our followers will more likely be interested in reading. It also helps to know the effectiveness and reach our content gets once posted and the organic reach of older material. The data acquired when using mentions has proven to be an asset to our company. The features provided help us get an idea of what improvements are needed or may improve the engagement of our posts and impression on our audience. Without some of the features available, we would be spending countless dollars trying to keep track of all the details of running content campaigns. Having a small company on a limited budget, it helps to have mentioned as a tool that replaces the lack of employee power.
  • Engagement - Knowing how well your content is doing with your audiences is a beneficial feature to have at your disposal.
  • Reach - Knowing the who, and where your content ends up, gives a better insight into how compelling your content is.
  • Data Reports - The many features offered by Mention is invaluable. Some of the best thought out features are with this company.
  • Price - This is the only issue we have encountered. As a small company struggling to stay afloat. Pricing is always an issue. Mindfulness of the unfortunate needs more attention in the future. Doing so may attract more users in our opinion.
Mention is one of the best tools around. It would be foolish to assume that every business will have a use for this powerful tool with features that most small businesses and startups overlook the development of their brand and company. For example, there are a lot of companies and startups with beginner entrepreneurs who lack the knowledge to get an adequate start with their business ideas or launches.
Read Stephen Thomas's full review
Sarah Nelson | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 25, 2018

Are you being Mentioned?

We actively use Mention to track how people across social media are interacting with our brand. Mention allows me to see when others have shared one of our articles or social media posts, as well as any tags or mentions of our brand online. While it is only within my Customer Service department that we use Mention, it is extremely useful for receiving fast notifications of mentions of our brand. That way we can choose to interact socially when it's happening or nip any complaints in the bud before they can impact too many people.
  • My favorite benefit of using Mention is the speed of notification! I have used other services where I'm not notified of interaction until way after the fact. I want to know immediately so that I have the option to interact LIVE with the consumer.
  • The "Influencer Score" is used to help me pick and choose who I want to engage with. If there is someone if high influence who shares one of our posts, I may reach out to them directly to network. This can help build relationships where guest posting and backlinking is possible.
  • I LOVE that Mention also tracks article mentions of our brand. Not online do I get notified when people are talking (or sharing) on social media - but I get notified when we receive a backlink in an article.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the layout of Mention. I'm a sucker for a clean and minimalistic presentation, and I feel like there is too much going on with the Mention dashboard.
  • I feel like there isn't a lot of bells and whistles to the program. I think that they could probably stand to spruce it up a bit.
Mention is perfect if your online reputation is important to you. If you are looking to keep track of what people are saying about your brand, and you wish to interact with those people, Mention can fill that need for you. However, if you aren't too interested in your online presence and you have no intention of interacting socially, then you won't receive the full benefit of the program.
Read Sarah Nelson's full review
Zee Gimon | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 25, 2018

Mention: See Where Your Business is Mentioned.

We use Mention within our marketing department. We have started when the company was very young and we wanted to know who and where mentioned us (without constantly Googling the brand's name). By now, we've grown and got our SEO specialist who monitors the mentions and links to us as well, but Mention is still a useful thing.
  • Convenient features that help you monitor the mentions (hence the name) online.
  • Good UI/UX that helps you streamline the process and the navigation is clear and simple (although the features are many)
  • The free version is efficient enough to see whether you need this instrument in your arsenal or not.
  • I wish there was a trial version of the insights to see what features are inside when one just starts to use Mention. (They have this demo feature for the Influencers so you get to see what's in it.)
I have worked with Mention in two companies, for two brands. One was called Grossum and now it's The APP Solutions. Considering the fact that Grossum is a Latin word often used for description plants or insects or something (for example, "Stethophyma grossum" aka big grasshopper), Mention was not very convenient in this case because we got notifications about large hot peppers or grasshoppers. Otherwise, it was a very convenient tool and now with The APP Solutions, the problem is not a problem at all.
Read Zee Gimon's full review
Lauren FitzHugh | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 24, 2018

Mention Gives You 360° Visibility in Real Time

We use Mention to track real-time mentions of our company, products, and competitors. Our marketing team and company has access to Mention data through a Zapier integration to a Clack channel. We are a lean team, so this gives us the ability to all take ownership of our brand without additional effort. Mention is a great way to gain 360-degree visibility into what's being said about your brand.
  • Mention kills it at real-time updates across all channels.
  • Mention makes it easy to listen to what people are saying about your product.
  • Mention enables us to follow what our competitors are doing with little to no effort.
  • The mention dashboard in the web app is noisy. It could be streamlined to make the most pertinent information easier to consume.
I would absolutely recommend Mention to colleagues. If you are a marketing leader in your organization, Mention is a must have tool.
Read Lauren FitzHugh's full review
Nicky Enriquez | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 30, 2016

Using Mention Weekly

I receive an email notification of mentions each day until I reach my quota for the month. It helps me catch comments/questions on social media that I would otherwise miss.
  • Displaying tweets that mention your organization/company without you having to search
  • Delivering an automated response right to your inbox
  • Links directly to users that mention you so you can respond easily
  • Searching instagram and facebook too!
  • Having an unlimited quota!
  • Allowing a user to answer within Mention rather than linking to an account or post
I think that Mention works best for larger organizations with one social media manager - the automated post email really is helpful, but if you have a larger team or not many mentions, it's probably more easily managed.
Read Nicky Enriquez's full review

About Mention

Mention is a social media monitoring tool. Users can create alerts for their company name, product or competitors. The vendor aims to help companies get updated in real-time by tracking the most relevant mentions over the web and social web. The vendor’s value proposition is that Mention enables companies to react, get statistics, and collaborate with their team, all on the go! According to the vendor, over 650,000 companies use Mention.

Mention Features