Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations (or Dynamics AX) was an ERP product in the Dynamics family. It has been split into separate Dynamics 365 products to provide more flexibility to customers, allowing users to pay only for the…
This is the main ERP system of the company.
All departments of the company use Microsoft Dynamics AX, including Sales, Sales Operations, …
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Custom reports (14)9.090%
- Role-based user permissions (14)7.070%
- Standard reports (14)7.070%
- Accounts payable (15)7.070%
Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations (or Dynamics AX) was an ERP product in the Dynamics family. It has been split into separate Dynamics 365 products to provide more flexibility to customers, allowing users to pay only for the functionality they need. Microsoft Dynamics AX will reach…
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
1 person also want pricing
SAP Business One is an integrated enterprise resource planning (ERP) solution for small and medium-sized businesses, The product encompasses functionality around sales, customer relationships, inventory, operations, financials and human resources.
Sage 100 (or Sage 100cloud is a business management software offering a broad range of modules designed to meet the many needs of virtually any business. It encompasses financial operations and accounting, payroll, business intelligence, CRM, eBusiness, manufacturing and distribution.
Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.
- 9Pay calculation(7) Ratings
Pay calculation provides for computation of employee pay with state and federal deductions.
- 9Benefit plan administration(5) Ratings
Benefit plan administration is administration of health insurance plans and 401k plans, and other benefits.
- 8Direct deposit files(5) Ratings
Direct deposit is the ability to electronically transfer pay to an employee’s personal bank account.
This addresses a company’s ability to configure the software to fit its specific use case and workflow.
- 5.1API for custom integration(13) Ratings
An API (application programming interface) provides a standard programming interface for connecting third-party systems to the software for data creation, access, updating and/or deletion.
- 8.9Plug-ins(12) Ratings
A number of third-party plug-ins are available to expand the core functionality of the software.
This component helps a company minimize the security risks by controlling access to the software and its data, and encouraging best practices among users.
- 5.1Single sign-on capability(13) Ratings
The software system supports a centralized authentication mechanism allowing the user to access multiple systems with a single, centrally managed password.
- 7Role-based user permissions(14) Ratings
Permissions to perform actions or access or modify data are assigned to roles, which are then assigned to users, reducing complexity of administration.
Users can report on and analyze usage, performance, ROI, and/or other metrics of success.
- 9Dashboards(12) Ratings
Users can create, customize and share dashboards, which provide an overview of the most important metrics.
- 7Standard reports(14) Ratings
The software offers pre-built reports with metrics standard to the category.
- 9Custom reports(14) Ratings
Users can create custom reports.
Financial management solution, including capabilities for general ledger and configurable accounting
- 7Accounts payable(15) Ratings
This includes the automation and tracking of payment to vendors and suppliers, with features such as payment scheduling, check printing, open purchase order alerts, document management, direct ACH bill payment, and vendor records.
- 7Accounts receivable(14) Ratings
This includes the management and automation of invoices and collections, with features like statements, invoices, receipts, payment reminders, customer records, auto billing, and refund checks.
- 8Global Financial Support(6) Ratings
Account using multiple ledgers, multiple currencies, and multiple entities
- 9Primary and Secondary Ledgers(7) Ratings
Record and report across multiple currencies and accounting standards with primary and secondary ledgers
- 7Journals and Reconciliations(10) Ratings
Automate and synchronize ledgers and processes
- 8.9Configurable Accounting(8) Ratings
Configure accounting rules and segments for each chart of accounts
- 8.9Standardized Processes(9) Ratings
Centralize financial management to facilitate standardized financial processes
The ability to track and manage the flow of goods or materials into and out of an inventory.
- 8Inventory tracking(13) Ratings
The software syncs orders and stock to maintain a real-time picture of inventory and supports multiple methods such as LIFO and FIFO.
- 9Automatic reordering(11) Ratings
The software can be set up to automatically reorder a good when it falls below a certain threshold.
- 9Location management(11) Ratings
The software can track multiple goods across multiple locations.
The ability to process orders, and track them from quote to cash.
- 8Pricing(12) Ratings
Users can set up complex and unique pricing requirements.
- 9Order entry(11) Ratings
Users can enter an order once, and the data flows to all the necessary units such as fulfillment and billing.
- 3.1Credit card processing(9) Ratings
The software facilitates credit card processing.
- 8Cost of goods sold(10) Ratings
The software calculates the direct costs attributable to a finished product, such as materials and labor, and includes roll-up pricing.
- 9Order Orchestration(5) Ratings
Define and execute order fulfillment processes for products as well as services on the same order.
Revenue management solution including capabilities for subledgers and financial processes
- 8.9Billing Management(9) Ratings
Access role-based billing work area, perform discrete and recurring billing
- 8Cash and Asset Management(10) Ratings
Manage liquidity and cash requirements, asset transfers, disposals, reclassifications, and financial adjustments
- 8.9Travel & Expense Management(7) Ratings
Enter expenses from mobile devices, integrate credit card and travel booking, configure policy enforcement
- 8.9Budgetary Control & Encumbrance Accounting(7) Ratings
Control spending at any budget level or time interval
- 8Period Close(7) Ratings
Sustain fast close with integrated subledgers, intuitive dashboards, embedded collaboration
Project financial management solution including capabilities for project budgeting, cost control, billing and contract management.
- 9Budgeting and Forecasting(6) Ratings
Establish project budgets and forecast future project financials
- 8Project Costing(6) Ratings
Standardize, track, and control costs at all project phases
- 8Cost Capture(5) Ratings
Capture costs including those for procurement, financials or time and labor, including from external systems
- 9Capital Project Management(5) Ratings
Track and manage capital asset costs
- 9Customer Contract Compliance(3) Ratings
Associate projects or tasks with customer contracts, and lines within contracts, to meet billing terms
- 8.9Project Revenue Recognition(5) Ratings
Recognize project contract revenue in line with accounting policies and regulations
Project execution management solution including capabilities for project scheduling, resource management, and team member task management.
- 8.9Project Planning and Scheduling(5) Ratings
Interactive Gantt chart for establishing tasks, durations, and delivery schedule
- 9Task Insight for Project Managers(4) Ratings
Project manager visibility into task progress of team members
- 6Project Mobile Functionality(4) Ratings
Capabilities for project functions such as updating and monitoring task progress and timecards from mobile devices
- 9Definable Resource Pools(4) Ratings
Definable and hierarchical resource pools of potential project resources
Grants management solution for higher education, public sector, or non-profits with capabilities for managing financial awards for program and project funding
- 9Award Lifecycle Management(4) Ratings
Manage the life of program funding awards from initial funding to close-out
Procurement management solution with capabilities for sourcing, contracting, procure-to-pay and supplier management
- 9Bids Analyzed and Compared(5) Ratings
Evaluate, compare and recommend across multiple bids in real-time using diverse user selected criteria and graphical analytics
- 9Contract Authoring(3) Ratings
Document authoring with guided navigation, negotiation templates and productivity tools for reviews and collaboration
- 9Contract Repository(4) Ratings
Secure and searchable contract repository leveraging standard company language components, structures and formats
- 8Requisitions-to-Purchase Orders Integrated(5) Ratings
Create touchless purchases using purchase orders generated automatically per rules from approved requisitions
- 8Supplier Management(6) Ratings
Broadly manage and report comprehensive supplier profiles, capabilities and performance; identify bottlenecks; balance allocations, workloads
Risk management solution with capabilities for managing controls, assessing control effectiveness, certifying controls, and addressing deficiencies
- 9Risk Repository(2) Ratings
Idenity, document, and manage business risks in a unified repository
- 9Control Management(2) Ratings
Establish and update risk and controls matrix, control test plans, and instructions
- 9Control Efficiency Assessments(2) Ratings
Assess control effectiveness on criteria such as geography, business unit, compliance requirements, etc
- 9Issue Detection(2) Ratings
Detect and create issues as part of the assessment flow
- 9Remediation and Certification(2) Ratings
Create and update remediation plans and certify controls
Logistics solution with capabilities for transportation planning, transportation execution, trade compliance, customs management, warehouse management and warehouse workforce management.
- 8Transportation Planning and Optimization(6) Ratings
Plan shipments across all modes of transportation via lowest costs/highest service
- 8Transportation Execution Management(5) Ratings
Execute and track shipping orders
- 8.9Trade and Customs Management(5) Ratings
Manage duties, tax rates, customs documents, and other data required for products shipped in and to specified countries
- 8Fulfillment Management(4) Ratings
Support for multi-channel demand and execution fulfillment processes
- 10Warehouse Workforce Management(5) Ratings
Set goals, measure actuals, and analyze productivity for warehousing tasks and activities
Manufacturing solution for managing manufacturing processes and costs.
- 9Production Process Design(5) Ratings
Define data for plant hierarchy, process standards, work areas, calendars and standard operations
- 8Production Management(5) Ratings
Centralized critical status information for production supervisors
- 7Configuration Management(4) Ratings
Capture and process customer configuration orders
- 8Work Execution(5) Ratings
Monitor procution status, manage work orders for standard and non-standard production, enforce tight controls on serialized products
- 9Manufacturing Costs(5) Ratings
Estimate, plan and monitor costs and variances by plant. Capture resource costs using standard, actual, LIFO, FIFO or multiple costing methods.
Supply Chain Planning solution with capabilities for planning, performance monitoring, change responses and execution.
- 9.9Forecasting(5) Ratings
Statistically forecast based on historical patterns and sales input, monitor accuracy and estimate new demand
- 9Inventory Planning(5) Ratings
Establish projected inventory levels, monitor actual levels and compare with projected levels
- 9Performance Monitoring(4) Ratings
Analyze business metrics and compare actual performance to plans, identify issues, prioritize demands and respond to changes
Product Lifecycle Management solution with capabilities for innovation management, product development
- 9Proposal Management(2) Ratings
Capture budget, resource, and benefit expectations for proposals
- 9Product Master Data Management(3) Ratings
Create, classify, and manage product items, BOMs and product changes
- Tech Details
Financial tracking and budgeting features are now found in the newly launched Dynamics 365 Finance product.
Supply chain management functionality is now supplied by the newly launched Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management product.
- User setup is easy when tied to an Azure AD.
- Task recordings create wonderful training tools for new hires.
- Integrated Power Bi reports fit seamlessly into the environment.
- Out of the box Data Entities are easy to connect to.
- End user tasks are pretty straightforward.
- Integrations for not included functionality can be expensive.
- Sorting and searching Work Orders for starting and tracking can be cumbersome.
- Error Reporting on transactions is awful and requires development to be of any use.
- Speed can be inconsistent.
- Ability to use the cloud and use Microsoft resources and tools in a managed way
- Integration and agility features in data transformation
- Workplace automation, live access to all financial reports and outcome forecasting
- The design and construction of the dashboard are more suitable for desktops and laptops, and no attention has been paid to users who want to work through tablets or mobile phones, and UI and UX designers should pay attention to this issue.
- The number of modules and plugins is very large and this is good, but several comprehensive and professional modules should be designed for daily tasks that do not require the installation of several modules for a simple process.
- Product management
- Service agreement / service order management
- Large data volume processing
- Mobile sites / apps
- Complicated deployment
It is not very good when processing a large volume of transactions, but presumably, it is also not made for that.
The latest version of Dynamics AX--Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations--has proven to be more complicated in terms of customization.
- Platform stability.
- Continuous updates.
- Life cycles services for deploying and managing environments.
- Complexity of the system - most things require coding.
- Mobile workspaces aren’t great and while usable aren’t that intuitive.
- Cloud hosted development environments take a long time to configure and deploy databases to.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX's scalability to meet our regional office needs provide flexibility to the team's requirements.
- Combined with Citrix Xenapp, the application offers seamless access for users on high latency unreliable network connection to the application.
- Application maintenance and updates are easy which makes it possible for us to manage remotely considering the servers are located in a remote Asia site.
- Application version upgrade could be simpler to provide easy way to backup config and settings and allow in-place upgrade.
- Support of newer and latest operating systems could use improvement in matching the roadmap of other Microsoft products.
- Better support of mobile devices and non-Microsoft operating systems without reliance on third-party platforms such as VMware or Citrix products.
- Users mention desire for wider support of printing devices and ease of formatting printouts.
- Has an easy interface for users so training and learning is fast
- The module organization allows an easy integration between processes
- It's easy to be customized both on the interface and in adapting the processes to business needs
- Self-reporting for users - the available report seldom fits the users need and often needs to be customized
- Definition of standard process workflows - this implies there is too much flexibility
- The available documentation, manuals or instructions are very rare and not well designed
- MRP run time is too high
- It is a stable software that generally performs well.
- It is integrated well with Microsoft Excel with relative ease of downloading tables, reports, and queries into Excel.
- Adaptable to meet business needs.
- Item master is comprehensive.
- Our current version (2009) has a complex security setup.
- Our older version lacks some in innovation and features.
- Our older version cannot share reports and queries across companies.
- Pricing: Microsoft Dynamics AX gives us good flexibility in how we price our products.
- UX: Microsoft Dynamics AX has a good user interface to put valuable information on the screen for users.
- Inventory Management: Microsoft Dynamics AX does a great job at giving us insight into our inventory.
- Call center does not easily support orders taken from multiple locations.
- Payment integration has been challenging, but ultimately doable.
- There are several minor bugs that pop up from time to time.
- Managing employees from Hiring to retiring. Through the HR module, a recruitment project could be initiated and followed through to receiving applications, conducting interviews, hiring and retiring.
- Stock Management. Items can be managed to ensure that re-order levels are always updated. When re-order level is low, the Microsoft Dynamics Ax allows for a purchase request to be initiated on those items, goes through a workflow of approvals, a request for quote is sent to vendors and then a purchase order sent to chosen vendor.
- Management of payroll system. Employees are created through the HR Module and set up for payroll. Any additional earnings or deduction are applied on the same employee's details to complete the pay structure and this is made possible through the inter module relations in Microsoft Dynamics.
- Sales Ledger. Currently, the idea behind the sales ledger module is that the company prepares a sales order for another company. I would prefer the developers consider the scenario where a sales order is prepared for the same company but for another branch or unit.
- Postings of issues items are currently possible but none of the modules caters to "departmental material or item request". Further tweaks have been done on our Project Module to cater for this but it's not entirely perfect. This will enable aid in cost allocation per departmental request of materials or items.
- Challenges with the bank module - does not allow for easily reconciliation as the statement from the banks can not be uploaded except for specific format.
This is the main ERP system of the company.
All departments of the company use Microsoft Dynamics AX, including Sales, Sales Operations, Sales Planning, Logistics, Accounting, Finance, Production.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX can export data directly from the system to an Excel spreadsheet just by a click.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX allows us to switch entity while still keeping our customized view of display.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX is easier for FX conversion.
- Microsoft Dynamics AX has all data, however, converting data to a report needs to go through via another solution. We used Sales Cube (very slow and not user friendly in settings), then we switched to Anaplan.
- Bringing new fields into the current data set is sometimes confusing.
- It would be better if we could schedule some daily refresh data saved automatically from Microsoft Dynamics AX to the public drive by end-users themselves.
In the past we used ADS as the company's ERP system, the data extract was super complicated.
It is saved on a public drive, as a txt file, and then needs to be cut manually.
With the implementation of Microsoft Dynamics AX, it is so easy for us to get the raw data extracted just by clicking Ctrl+G.
- Excellent visual representation of data
- Overwhelming amount of information available at most at a click
- Data is interconnected between departments and business processes very well
- Lots of extra fields and data that is unneeded
- Performance can be slow
- Great for splitting invoices amoung multiple department cost centers
- Good for security reasons since you can only see the invoices you have keyed in
- Not intuitive or user-friendly
- A lot of extra clicking around to do simple tasks
- Limit the amount of information you can give in descriptions and doesn't auto populate all information it should
- Annoying that you can't see the status of invoices of when they were paid or when they will be paid
- Annoying that you can't see invoices from others on your team because you didn't input the invoice
- Dynamics AX is reasonably intuitive and easy to learn and use, even for workers who aren't extremely computer savvy.
- Dynamics AX integrates and communicates well with our PLM system in real time.
- Dynamics AX ties the information and data created and used by various departments together immediately, making needed data available to the people who need it.
- Dynamics AX could be a little more visual. It's very text-based.
- Work Flow
- Order Entry
- Shipping Logistics
- Inventory Managment
- Inventory managment
- User functinality
- AX has powerful financials including use of dimensions ideal for reporting
- AX now has a mature projects module ideal for professional services organizations
- AX has also matured into a viable product to support global and multi-national organizations
- AX report writing tools are not intuitive and almost always require external resources to write them - improvement in this regard is needed.
- While AX 2012 R2 was a nice save from the original release I have a long memory - greater care and attention to alpha and beta testing is in order to minimize issues with a release that should have never gone out the door.
- GL and use of dimensions allows for a 'lighter' chart of accounts and dynamic use of data categorizations for reporting and budget control.
- The entire ERP system is integrated, so Inventory in particular is straight forward to create (items can be inventory, service or BOMs) and the costing options are flexible enough to offer different costing (FIFO, LIFO, Standard...) for different groups of inventory and pricing (cost and/or sales) can be different based on site/WH designation.
- Cash and Bank management is now an independent module and offers better tools to manage cash flow. This is true for Budgeting as well as this functionality makes setting, managing and updating budgets easy as it works seamlessly with Excel.
- Data and ERP system updates at the transactional level is less complex as you can export and then import data via Excel into AX as long as your security rights give you access to the tables/data in question.
- Project service and project accounting is deep in functions as it will work with Project Server, Invoice with time and material or fixed fee projects and works great for projects internal or external in managing/capturing all time for a specific initiative.
- MRP can be slow to adapt to changes in actual production or supply chain transactions.
- Setting up number sequences seems a trivial matter, but these numbers ID transactions once they are in the ledger and are key--easy to miss this point in the implementation process.
- Bank rec being easily automated and able to quickly plug into a bank back end to get data is not the best.
- Payment processing can be 'clunky' based on checks, ACH, Wires...as some of these items are not triggered out of the box in AX, bur are easily added --talking ACH and Wires specifically.
It is strong tool for manufacturing, supply chain, project services and retail. I would say highly engineered businesses where CAD and unique billing/project types are demanded are tougher to have AX baseline functions work as customers need.
I have seen AX work well in a 'hub and spoke' model where it operates certain business divisions but not all. The integrations and interfaces are easy to set and manage/monitor.
- Managing Lean Manufacturing works well in DAX, because it can help to control a lean manufacturing process for several types of orders, runners, repeaters, and strangers. It can also work with mix models, discrete manufacturing with lean manufacturing.
- Intercompany transactions is a very useful functionality that automates and simplifies transactions between companies of the same enterprise group.
- User friendly and integration with Microsoft tools such as Excel, SSAS, SSRS
- Easily integrates with other software
- Quality Management there is a lot of functionality needed from quality reporting and control, action follow up and sampling.
- Fixed Assed service management, there is much to develop for maintenance control.
- Discrete manufacturing scheduling utilities, for example scheduling production orders by the sales order they are pegged.
- Enterprise portal need a lot of improvement
- Integration with Microsoft office has a lot of space for improvement.
- Lean manufacturing has several opportunities to expand on scheduling and floor execution
- Product life cycle management
- Integration with Microsoft CRM
- Integration with other ERP systems
- The CU7 release has some great additional functionality in Human resources allowing flexibility of transferring and terminating workers.
- Previous dimension hierarchy setup has been replaced by accounting structures that are far more intuitive to use.
- Workflow setup is still not an out-of-the-box function in HR. Approvals are a key part of the business process in HR and this is a large effort to modify.
- Separation of line level costs and revenue are still problematic. Configured lines do not have distribution capabilities.
- We still do not see a release with a place to house product warranty information. A real miss a one the customer asks for.
- The email template tool is limited to applicants and really should be leveraged for use across the system.
- Lean and job shop manufacturing for non-integrated facilities, with emphasis on domestic logistics.
- Integrate facilities, export logistics, complex product configuration manufacturing management