Microsoft Dynamics SL Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Pamela Dalton profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We started with QuickBooks Enterprise when our company was young. We quickly outgrew this program as it was not able to accommodate the financial reporting we needed to satisfy our investors. QuickBooks was also very limited in managing our revenue as we grew.
We did try Great Plains and Peachtree (now Sage 50) and we discovered that they were rather complicated for our users. They were not as easy to maneuver and manipulate as SL and we felt that SL was much more "user friendly" and simplified, but still able to produce the same results.
Read Pamela Dalton's full review

Alternatives Considered

MIP is a more robust product with more comprehensive modules that is tailored toward a non-profit accounting environment. The reporting and GL analysis features on MIP is also a lot more robust than Dynamics SL and the interface within MIP is designed to tailor to user needs. Lastly, the importing feature MIP is a lot more fluid and a lot easier to trouble shoot.
John K. Hodge, CPA profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Dynamics SL provides built in complex project accounting flexibility with the benefit to accommodate additional complexity with customization tools to enhance the system capabilities and fill requirement gaps either as to process, reporting, or controls.
Read John K. Hodge, CPA's full review
Mark Schrier profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I have evaluated many competitive products in the past. Dynamics Nav, Mass90, Dynamics GP, Platinum and others. This product is ahead in TCO and flexibility. Since the customization uses standard Microsoft tools (VBA, Visual Studio, and MS SQLServer, Object Model) it is much better go companies that want to be highly responsive to changing business conditions. The SDK (software development kit) is not an add-on toolkit, it is the exact same tools used to create the original product. It makes it very easy to integrate changes that have the same look and feel across all operations.
Read Mark Schrier's full review
Jerry McLellan, CPA profile photo

• Epicor ERP,Microsoft Dynamics GP,sage
Of the comparable mid-range ERP systems, Dynamics SL competes at the lower end based on price, but also above the high-end based on flexibility, data, and reporting. Being able to stay with the same core accounting from a $100 million dollar company to a $3 billion dollar company shows the range of capabilities.
Read Jerry McLellan, CPA's full review
Jeffrey Morin profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I have been on this product for 17 years. I have worked with Great Plains and have worked with products in the Health Care industry and believe this product pulls in all the main functionality into basic core modules and allows users to quickly grasp how to use the product. This also allows for greater efficiencies by all staff who touch this product. I worked as a consultant for the early version of Solomon. As a financial consultant, I had to get into a company and learn quickly the operations on the old software to get them ready for a switch to this one. In the four years of working as a consultant I had seen a good deal of other software that did not match up to the power and extreme efficiency of data flow that SL has. Once users were trained, they agreed.
Read Jeffrey Morin's full review
Jack Boyer profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We selected Dynamics SL because our business lives and dies by the success of our projects. A product that can tell you that you have a problem before you invoice, helps you get your project back on track much better. It's also much easier to evaluate across projects, tasks and project types-what you do well and where you need to improve.
Read Jack Boyer's full review
Bill Aiton profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We used Connectwise, which did a good job costing function, but had to be periodically integrated and lacked some reporting capability.
We looked at GP but it does not have good project accounting, so it was not a good fit for our company.
We looked at NAV but there was too much customization required.
We used to use MAS 200, but the database was proprietary and the technology was very old and slow to change.
Deltek is used by many firms in our business, but feedback from customers that changed to Dynamics SL led us to avoid that choice.
We also looked at SAP Business One, but the product had weak job costing and limited functionality.
Read Bill Aiton's full review

Alternatives Considered

They were both pretty easy to use, but I started using Microsoft Dynamics SL so it was a matter of knowing and becoming familiar with this program first. I became very accustomed to the modules and how to navigate the program.

Alternatives Considered

I have used QuickBooks when I was in college and I did enjoy it mainly because that was my first experience with an accounting product like that. I did not switch to Microsoft Dynamics; it was the product used in the first company I received a job in. Although I did not select it, I am glad I was able to use it with my company. I mainly enjoy the way everything is broken out and how various employees are able to use and work together on this on a daily basis.

• QuickBooks Online,QuickBooks Pro,FinancialForce Accounting
QuickBooks is not a bad solution, but it is typically used by smaller companies since it is not a true, auditable accounting system. Dynamics is much more robust than QuickBooks and handles complex accounting much better.

FinancialForce may be a good option if you are looking for something that is on the Force.com platform. If you are already a Salesforce.com user and are looking for an accounting system, this may be the way to go. However, if you already have a good accounting system, I would not suggest making the switch to FinancialForce. My experience with it so far has been that it was designed by engineers as a solution for people using Salesforce, not as an accounting system. There are many red flags right out of the box, and customization seems to be far more difficult than initial expectations. For example, the system does not use debits and credits, but rather positives and negatives. This is mind blowing for an accountant! Out of the box, there are three screens to click through just to create a journal entry. Reporting falls anywhere from difficult to impossible. My CFO recently spent the better part of a week trying to run a YTD Trial Balance. Again, mind blowing that this is being called an accounting system.

Dynamics definitely feels like a much truer accounting system than either of the other products that I've worked with.
July 05, 2014

Dynamics SL

Alternatives Considered

QuickBooks is a good entry point software. Dynamics is the next logical progression in a company's growth. Dynamics SL will allow for rapid growth and provide the necessary controls that QuickBooks is lacking.

Alternatives Considered

SL is lacking in various places for a direct sales type of company plan. Currently, we are looking into other options and have decided on Microsoft Dynamics AX as a solution. The move to AX will allow us to keep ordering in one system instead of two (right now we are forcing SL and another program to speak to each other = Giant mess), and it will also be a better springboard for getting us into a mobile app position with our consultants. Unfortunately, years of SL in this environment has not proven to be a good solution at this time, and we are moving in a different direction.

Pay calculation (2)
9.6
Direct deposit files (1)
Reimbursement management (1)
API for custom integration (6)
Plug-ins (4)
6.0
Single sign-on capability (9)
6.1
Role-based user permissions (8)
5.9
Accounts payable (10)
6.7
Accounts receivable (7)
6.0
Global Financial Support (1)
Primary and Secondary Ledgers (3)
5.8
Intercompany Accounting (3)
4.9
Localizations (2)
2.6
Journals and Reconciliations (3)
6.2
Enterprise Accounting (2)
Configurable Accounting (2)
Centralized Rules Framework (1)
Standardized Processes (2)
Manufacturing module (2)
Pricing (2)
Order entry (3)
6.0
Credit card processing (2)
Cost of goods sold (2)
End-to-end order visibility (1)
Order exception Resolution (1)
Automated Invoice Processing (2)
2.8
Shared Services Payments (1)
Billings Management (1)
Customer Receipt Applications (1)
Customer Collections (1)
Revenue Recognition (2)
3.6
Cash Management (3)
5.5
Asset Management (3)
5.3
Travel & Expense Management (1)
Budgetary Control & Encumbrance Accounting (2)
4.6
Period Close (3)
6.1
Transactions Tax (2)
Subledger Reconciliations (3)
4.9
3rd Party Accounting Systems (1)
Budgeting and Forecasting (3)
5.7
Project Costing (3)
4.8
Cost Capture (2)
2.8
Capital Project Management (1)
Customer Invoicing (1)
Project Revenue Recognition (1)
Project Financial Performance Analysis (2)
3.6
Project Financials Dashboard (1)
Real-time Financial Reporting (3)
4.7
Award Lifecycle Management (1)
Spending Control (1)
Billing (1)
Production Management (1)
Inventory Planning (1)

About Microsoft Dynamics SL

Microsoft Dynamics SL is one of the ERP products in the Dynamics family.

This product was acquired from Solomon 2000.

The product is typically used by SMBs, particularly in project-based businesses (e.g. construction). It has strong accounting and project management capabilities.

Microsoft Dynamics SL Integrations