Microsoft Office 2016 Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Scott Herring profile photo
Microsoft Office 2016 is being used throughout our entire organization as the main software for executing daily office tasks. The most used applications within the product would be Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. There is a small group within the school that have very specific data manipulation needs that utilize Access, but they generally use it on an as-needed basis and not day-to-day.
  • Data manipulation. Excel takes the raw data we receive and allows us to digest it in ways that are useful to our business processes.
  • Communication. Outlook serves as our primary means of communication and setting up appointments.
  • Documentation. Word is the default standard when it comes to using a word processor and we are no different in this regard. Nearly every user has to use the application on a regular basis in order to accomplish their work.
  • Too many features. This sounds like an odd statement, but there are classifications of workers. You have your casual users, regular users, and power users. The majority of our staff do not fit into the power users group that utilizes many of the features. The hardest issue to support is the user finding what it is that they are looking for.
  • Cost. As products from Google and other services gain traction it is harder in our facility to not make the transition to services such as G Suite for education. Our teachers are familiar with the product as it is being used during the class delivery with their students. They don't want to use more products than necessary. We are certainly seeing a divide between the instructional staff and the administrative and support staff in the use of their products.
  • End-user help. There will always be a need to train users on software, however as support resources get stretched thinner, it becomes more important that the end-user be able to find the solutions on their own. This is an endless process, and one that will not fit every type of user, but should be considered when building future versions of the product.
I think that Microsoft Office 2016 really is best in class when it comes to needing an office suite but if I was being asked to make a recommendation for a user, I would lean heavily towards Office, but would also take into account the person's needs and budget as well. There are some use cases where it is just not necessary to have a full-scale product.
Read Scott Herring's full review
Andrew Shannon profile photo
We use Office 2016 mainly for Outlook 2016, Excel, and Word 2016. We have an in-house exchange server and the best email client for connecting to an exchange server is Outlook 2016, it has the calendar features and schedule that makes life a lot easier. Also our ERP system exports to Excel quickly and easily, and its the easiest platform for my users to clean out a report for sharing with our clients, it's easy enough that I can teach any user how to use it in under an hour.
  • Connects to an Exchange 2016 server seamlessly.
  • Opens exported reports in either Excel format or CSV format.
  • Gives users access to PowerPoint for making presentations easily.
  • Office 2016 professional edition can be priced for a single user license, it would be nice to see a drop in the pricing.
  • Office 2016 home edition is a better price but does not include outlook 2016, so it is not a good fit for the workplace environments.
  • Office 2016 can run slowly on older systems, so you need to make sure you have a machine that is 4 years old or less for it to run smoothly.
Office 2016 is best suited for a business environment where users have either an exchange server or connect to a cloud email service and need to work on excel reports or word documents with others.

Office 2016 is not as well suited for home users where there are several free options available like Google Sheets and Google Docs that can do a lot of the same functionality as office 2016 and the cost is free.
Read Andrew Shannon's full review
Ricardo G Lopes profile photo
We have a network of Freelance translators where we interact with each other frequently by sharing documents for mutual updates.
Our Professionals network is worldwide and has no specific timezone. So, we have updates anytime.
Clients mostly sent Word documents for translations, while PDF and PowerPoint come second but not close.
Excel is mostly used for intra-network invoices and in some cases to bill a final client.
Office products like OneNote and Publisher are hardly used by translators for information sharing.
If Skype for business would ever be marketed as a tool for communication within freelance networks, having many tools to interchange files, it could really be a hit, but nowadays, the team relies on WhatsApp groups for simple and fast communications.
  • Consistent functionality across the several Office components. This consistency is a great advantage for adoptions of other unused Office components. For example, if you want to publish a book that you have done with Word, you don't need to relearn new menu positions, new file-related actions, new reviewing procedures, etc.
  • Functionality extensions with Add-ins. This has always been a nameplate for Microsoft and Office keeps its tradition. I remember the renowned Bill Gates phrase when Visual Basic has been presented to him, he said: "Make it extensible". So, for example, I use Grammarly to improve my translations and there are thousands of Add-ins that you can purchase to increase your productivity.
  • Continuous improvement of online Office 365 allows for comprehensive usage from any platform, like Apple or Android tablets, Mac or Windows, cell phones and more. Every day and regular user's functions are there. And if you need extensive reviewing capabilities or programming, you can always rely on the desktop version.
  • Spelling and translate for multiple languages are now included in the online version. I should indeed rely more on the online version.
  • Copy and paste between different Office components have been the same for decades. This functionality is simply not user-friendly as it uses the tech lingo, and it says absolutely nothing about the actual output. For example: What is the meaning of HTML format or Formatted text (RTF) or Device Independent Bitmap? IF you are not born in India, you will not get it. A better approach is used by Excel when it says Copy Values and Number formatting. So, please revisit this mold function and help the mortal end user.
  • Office tables in Word are maybe the slower and frustrating functionality in Office. Many Power users and MVP, already highlighted that a bigger (not immense) Word table, can take several minutes to get updated for any single action like inserting a column or changing borders or shades. The issue is so infuriating, that most times I need to shut down the application in order to start later when the machine is idle and I have nothing else to deliver. Even worse is the CPU usage, which constantly absorbs around 28-30%.
  • The VBA object model for Word table should resemble the most efficient and better conceptualized Excel object model for tables. This would dramatically increase the productivity of many VBA developers that develop in both products and it would also be able to develop in new office components without a significant learning curve.
There are hundreds of scenarios that Office 2016 would be well suited, but I want to emphasize one least seen from senior management. It is the VBA automation done by IT professionals, not by Power Users.
Office 2016 allows a fast track to automate many business processes that are small enough to grant resources from the IT Portfolio management guys, but big enough to significantly impact staff members. For example, generate repetitive Excel summary reports, where there is plenty of copy and paste plus reformatting, and new dates and new products. Then, copy the results to PowerPoint or Word and more. If you sit down with the IT folks and let them know that the cost of this project only includes labor, no new licenses, no new servers, no new network components, no new security checklists, they may give you resources to do it.
Read Ricardo G Lopes's full review
Pamela Dalton profile photo
September 10, 2019

MS Office for EVERY office

My company currently uses MS Office 2016 in select departments. Currently, all accounting and accounts payable employees use this version exclusively. We have found this to be beneficial for performing various functions on a daily basis, including the creation and manipulation of Excel spreadsheets, MS Outlook email, and calendars, creating PowerPoint presentations and Word documents. We use Excel frequently as this program allows us to perform numerous functions, including formulas, pivot tables, macros and v-lookups that we need in our daily invoice entries, journal entries and our weekly and monthly reports.
  • Excel pivot tables: We have to use these daily to allocate expenses charged on one invoice across 23 different companies. The speed and accuracy of this function is excellent in MS Excel 2016, calculating every line completely accurately.
  • Outlook calendar: I love that we are able to create numerous calendars that can be shared with select users. I have a part-time employee who is on a flexible schedule and she and I can update her daily schedule and share it with my supervisor so everyone knows when and where this employee will be on a daily basis.
  • Outlook calendar/meeting creation: This function in Outlook is wonderful and easy to use. I am able to schedule a meeting, select participants, select meeting area and give details regarding purpose and am able to attach necessary documents pertaining to the meeting.
  • MS Word: I don't like the factory defaults created my Microsoft. I've spent a good amount of time "fine tuning" everything from spacing, margins, tabs and bullet points. Ideally the program should easily allow the user to reset and save these default preferences, but I have yet to discover a way to do this.
  • MS Word: I am not a fan of the offered templates. They tend to be confusing and are not easy to modify.
  • MS Outlook: Searching within the program for a particular topic or name results in a very large return, especially if the search item is vague or incomplete. It would be nice if this program easily allowed a "wild card" search or allowed for multiple definers in the search bar.
This program is well suited for every office environment, large and small. There are numerous sub-programs that are necessary for most business departments and can be easily utilized with minimal skill. For highly defined presentations, reports or documents, the end-user would likely need greater training as some of the functions and modules are quite challenging and the online help menu is rather unaccommodating.
Read Pamela Dalton's full review
Lynn DeLaurentis profile photo
Microsoft Office is used individually and across the whole organization. It is the software we use to create PowerPoint presentations to do in-house teachings as well as teaching to the public in both a free and fee-based seminars. It is easy to use, share and modify between employees and takes little training to teach the basics. The spreadsheet and document modules allow our employees to create and share integral tools and pieces of communication used within our company.
  • Microsoft Office easily allows us to create new presentations using a variety of modalities, including spreadsheets, video links, and drawings.
  • Microsoft Office has products everyone is already familiar with through their prior schooling which makes training time minimal to non-existent.
  • Microsoft Office has tutorials that are easy to use, to learn beyond the basics and increase usability.
  • Microsoft Office could improve their import functions, when bringing in a file that was created on a different platform.
  • It would be nice to see an 'add to dictionary' function when a word not in it's dictionary comes up repeated times when creating a new work.
Microsoft Office is well suited when there are Word documents that need to be created and modified regularly as well as PowerPoint presentations and spreadsheets, especially when there is a desire to integrate these among each other. It also has good functionality in doing mail merges for documents and labels, a nice option when you need a 'form letter' or looking to mail to a large group.
Read Lynn DeLaurentis's full review
Tyler Grudowski profile photo
We use Microsoft Office on a daily basis for all kinds of things. There are many different reports and papers that we need to write for proposals and applications to get our start-up off the ground. Word helps us write everything faster and then be able to copy and paste what we need to into the applications online. We can also edit all of them in real-time even if we are not in the same place at the same time.
  • I really like how Word has templates for all different kinds of documents, like resumes and job descriptions. They are very convenient, especially if you are having a hard time writing one of these documents.
  • Having the ability to quickly write and edit text documents without needing to be connected to the internet is very convenient.
  • PowerPoint allows us to make professional, yet effective, presentations when we need to pitch our company to potential investors.
  • Sometimes, when we are trying to accurately format a document, the Word software spazzes out and has a hard time making it look correct.
  • The collaborative tools could stand to be a bit better. The commenting features are very complicated and are hard to get rid of after someone leaves feedback on your document.
  • I wish that some of the transitions on PowerPoint were a little more professional. Some of them are more gimmicky than professional.
If you have literally anything to write at all for your company, Microsoft Office is the way too! Every single piece of software is fantastic. There is not a company out there that should not own the Microsoft Office Suite because it is great for pretty much any scenario: writing documents, doing presentations, making marketing materials, and even sending emails.
Read Tyler Grudowski's full review
George Bynum profile photo
I only use Word and Excel. Word is used for document creation. Some of that, in particular, requires a working tables function which does not work in open office which I now otherwise prefer. Excel is used for many functions, timesheet creation, records or jobs, expense records, random math needs. It is reliable. I used Office 2000 for many years, and I prefer it. It was much easier to use than Office 2016. A Windows 10 update broke it so I had to find this. I despise Microsoft requiring a Microsoft account to install it; I bought 2 copies, intending to use both, but one machine on which I wanted to use it has no internet connection and never will. Microsoft's software as a service does not fit my needs as a mostly retired, 70-year-old technical support specialist.
  • The Word tables function allows proper pasting of data pasted from Windaq. Otherwise, it is much harder to use than earlier versions.
  • Otherwise, I think it does nothing particularly well and except for that need, wouldn't use it.
  • Be available for sale.
  • Be installable without a Microsoft account.
  • Be installable from a local storage device without an internet connection.
Tables work in Word. Everything else does too, although with much more effort than with earlier versions. It required an internet connection which makes it useless for 2 of my systems. Excel is Excel. I've used spreadsheets since VisiCalc and SuperCalc. Excel has more features, sophisticated math and plotting, which are useful. 2016 made it harder to use.
Read George Bynum's full review
Laura Gillenwater profile photo
Microsoft Office 2016 is the standard version of Office used throughout our company. Different areas use different "pieces" of it with different amounts of frequency and depths of feature use. For example, I'm in Learning and Development, so I use PowerPoint and Word frequently and deeply, Excel and OneNote frequently, but not that deeply, and I only rarely touch Access, Visio, and Publisher (and Project, but I'm not sure if that's technically part of Office) --in fact, I don't know that I've used any of those since we migrated to the 2016 version.
  • In the past couple of years, I've learned a slew of really cool, helpful things I can do in PowerPoint, to such an extent that it has now become my primary image editor, even for graphics that I'm not planning to use within a PowerPoint deck! The ability to remove the background in photos is just one of many examples of this. I also have Adobe Presenter, a plug-in that allows me to turn a PowerPoint deck into the polished narrated presentation (even adding a few quiz questions, when I need to). I also love the animation painter feature and the selection pane is a game-changer for PowerPoint!
  • Word also has a plethora of useful features -- in fact, I often prefer to use a table in Word to organize data than to use Excel, because I find it easier to manipulate. For example, I can use Alt+Shift+up arrow or Alt+Shift+down arrow to quickly and easily move rows up or down in the table - not sure why I can't do that in Excel! There's really very little in the way of word processing that one can't do in Word!
  • For Excel, I like the "intelligence" behind it. For example, I like that I can start a column with series of dates (say, every other Tuesday) and, by using the drag-down handle, it will fill in additional rows following that pattern. I also like that it adjusts formulas as you add or remove rows.
  • While I've been quite impressed with all of the image manipulations that I can do in PowerPoint, I would love it if I could do even more, like set more than one transparent color, and I'm sometimes frustrated by the limited recoloring options. Also, I'm still very unhappy that they did away with the whole library of built-in royalty-free clip art and other types of images -- there's no free library available at all anymore - it sends you out to Bing, but then you have to try and find images you can legally use there (and that are in a format that allows you to ungroup and manipulate). I really, really miss the old image library, even if some of the images were old and tired.
  • I also wish that I could change the default layout for new decks and not be forced to start with a title slide. Very often, I'm using PowerPoint to store and manipulate images and, for that, I prefer a blank slide. I also find that I sometimes have problems with color themes when bringing a slide from one deck into another one -- sometimes I can fix those problems but, other times, I find that I can't. I also wish it would allow me to use SVG images and convert other vector images into SVGs.
  • The thing that annoys me most in Word is that I can't change the default indentation for bullet and number lists - in older versions, I had it set so that the bullets were not indented (as part of the Normal template settings), but, in 2016, it forces an indent and I have to manually undo the indent using the thingies on the ruler. I think this may be because Word is trying to be more HTML-friendly, and I don't object to it having that default indented style out of the box, but users should be able to override that by updating their Normal template.
  • I also find it harder to find features that I've been using for years in the ribbons than I did with the old cascading menus.
  • My biggest issue with Excel is just trying to figure out how to use some of the non-basic features, but I think that's largely because I don't use it as often and could probably use some training on Excel.
If you need a full-featured office suite, then I think that Microsoft Office 2016 is the best offering out there. However, it's not inexpensive, so, for folks who generally only use the basic features, getting a less expensive, or even free, option might make more sense. The cost is the main reason why I gave it an NPS of 8, instead of 9 or 10.
Read Laura Gillenwater's full review
Jeanette Gass profile photo
Office is used across my whole organization. It is excellent for all basic business functions but especially helps with database management (Access) and Project Management (Project). It also helps us easily and quickly create brochures and flyers (Publisher) and write and format reports (Word). There are so many uses for Excel when it comes to budgeting and finance. All around, it's a great suite of products.
  • Produces high-quality publications.
  • Performs complex budget functions with Excel.
  • Excellent word processing with Word.
  • Saved signatures in the desktop version of Outlook appearing in the online version would be a great improvement.
  • Easier formatting in Word-- sometimes small changes can cause big issues in Word documents.
  • More help tools available for Excel.
MS Office is well-suited for virtually any business environment. The variety of programs and tools available is outstanding and there are no other platforms like this one. Google docs are the closest comparison, but there aren't nearly as many programs available and the formatting doesn't always match. The reverse compatibility for previous versions is also invaluable.
Read Jeanette Gass's full review
Cameron Steele profile photo
Microsoft Office 2016 is being used across our entire company for multiple purposes. We are utilizing Excel for spreadsheet creation and analysis, as well as Word for simple documents like memos and sign-up sheets. The simplicity of its use allows our entire staff, no matter how seasoned or technically savvy, to fully engage in leadership and management of systems and procedures.
  • Simple editing and formatting. Standardizing your documents with your own brand goes a long way.
  • Implementation of multiple files. It seems like you can work with almost any type of document in Office 2016.
  • The industry standard. Whether you're presenting among your peers, or traveling to speak to like-minded individuals, you can count on your presentation integrating seamlessly.
  • Building on previous versions. It seems like there has not been a major change since 2012.
  • Clippy! Where is the help when you need it?
  • Add a design element. For the price, I am sure you could manage to add a simple design and photo editing program to the package that adds value to your customers and meets the needs of social media users.
The most important documents for your business are generated through Office 2016. From memos to press releases, you have the tools that you need to address the day-to-day activity of your business. However, I do not feel that Office has truly been improved upon in the last 7-9 years. Perhaps adding a graphic design or photo-editing software with more advanced capabilities would make it fit in with its users in a more significant way.
Read Cameron Steele's full review
Jerome Pierce profile photo
Microsoft Office 2016 is a standard application that we utilize at our institute. We use it for both PC and Mac platforms and is a staple that fits our document editing and creation needs.
  • Works well with other Office versions of documents
  • Integrates well with Mac & PC Operating Systems
  • Many Tools for Word, Excel and Powerpoint
  • Some features from the previous versions of PowerPoint were removed causing a little pain with some of our power users
  • The sign in feature can become annoying each time you launch a product
  • The licensing feature sometimes loses its registration, therefore, you receive a message from time to time that your product is unregistered
Works well with previous Office document versions but it could be overkill if your users only utilize one of the three apps. Due to the cost and licensing, we only deploy Office 2016 upon request of the user. Otherwise, they use Google Sheets, Docs & Slides.
Read Jerome Pierce's full review
Lochan Kalicharan profile photo
Office 2016 is used across the entire organization to allow the sharing of spreadsheets, documents and projects. It allows real time edits to be made and allows us to effectively communicate via email through outlook. Outlook is used in conjunction with exchange to also utilize calendars and sharing of events and meetings.
  • Sharing of information between users quickly
  • Easy to use with a very simple interface
  • excellent pricing for our needs
  • New releases tend to be buggy.
  • Support can be a little difficult.
  • Major changes to interface can be confusing when it happens.
Typically sharing word and excel documents that need to be edited on the fly has been a very useful feature for us. It allows these changes to be made in real time so other users can see and make changes of their own. EndNote integration with word is also a largely used feature which is very handy.
Read Lochan Kalicharan's full review
Özgür Erkek, MSc, PRINCE2® profile photo
Microsoft Office is the No.1 tool for our office needs. It is being used for the entire organization including all the departments we are working with. Previously, we were using MS Office 2013 and 2 years ago it was upgraded to Office 2016. As we are working in the office, 60-70% of our daily work is being managed by the MS Office products. I'm using MS PowerPoint, Word, Excel and OneNote on daily basis, and Access from time to time. We manage mail with MS Outlook, documents by MS Excel, presentations by MS PowerPoint, data sheets and graphics in MS Excel and databases in MS Access.
  • Excellent mail, meeting and contacts management with MS Outlook.
  • Calculation, graphics, analytics and data management is properly and efficiently done by Excel.
  • Good level management of presentations by MS Powerpoint.
  • Good documentation control and management with MS Word.
  • Capability to save documents as .pdf files or use MS virtual .pdf printer feature.
  • Instant crash issues with MS Office 2016.
  • Difficulty to operate (freeze during sending mail, etc.) while operating large mail databases in MS Outlook.
  • Room for improvement with the analysis toolpak.
  • Compatibility of the files with other Office software.
The main reasons we are using MS Office products are: it has very common usage in the market; therefore it increases work efficiency with internal and external customers. Secondly, the efficiency and robustness of the products cause users to face fewer issues. Thirdly, good support from Microsoft when you need it. Additionally, regularly released updates make the security high. Lastly, a variety of products in one Office family meets your needs.
Read Özgür Erkek, MSc, PRINCE2®'s full review
Stephen Wittmaak profile photo
Originally we were using Microsoft Office 2016 on an individual basis with the core being our Outlook usage mapped over a Gmail email client. As of late, we've switched to an enterprise-level with all Microsoft functionality to better handle our e-mail client needs, rather than run across two separate platforms.
  • Cross-functional with the entire Microsoft Suite.
  • Wide user-base across both Mac and PC.
  • Seamless when switching from desktop to mobile.
  • More 3rd party cross-functionality.
  • Declutter and streamline Outlook.
  • Revisit the PowerPoint layout and options.
For any medium-sized business, Office is a necessity, regardless of your vertical. If not for the work you do, the businesses you work with. Overall it's simply an industry standard.
Read Stephen Wittmaak's full review
Niladri Chatterjee profile photo
Microsoft Office is one of the most essential software in our organization. I mostly use MS Word for copywriting purposes, be that writing a simple article for our company's official blog or crafting social media posts. Other than Word, there are many more products from this software bundle we use daily in our organization. For example,
  • Our accountant uses Excel to maintain accounts and create various reports.
  • PowerPoint is being used for presentations in almost all departments.
  • Outlook is a pretty handy tool to have a track on emails without leaving the main workflow, so it's installed on almost every PC in our company.

The main problem that a copywriter like me faces is proofreading and formatting. Grammatical errors and bad formatting can ruin any marketing campaign. And I resolve this issue with Word. OneNote is a pretty useful tool too. It helps me pen down ideas and information that otherwise would have been forgotten.
  • Word is the best software to create documents or textual content to date. It is full of features which allow formatting write-ups pretty easily.
  • PowerPoint is amazing for making slide shows for meetings or while discussing project roadmaps. One can easily present ideas accurately in the form of slides.
  • Excel makes managing accounts really easy and error free. Besides that it helps employees make various reports such as expenses, sales etc. The graphical representation of the numbers, allow other non technical members understand them.
  • It is pretty annoying to open the browser again and again to check emails. With Outlook I don't have to do that anymore. It helps to organize emails and keep it distraction-free.
  • Most of all, the speed Office offers is unmatchable. The products in this software bundle work without lagging even in a below-average PC.
  • The price is too high. There are a lot of PCs in the organization. Licensing each PC costs us a lot. Microsoft should reconsider their pricing.
  • Sometimes one needs a distraction free platform to write stuff. Word is jam-packed with a lot of options that is not needed by everyone. So an option to remove most features and provide a minimal editor should be added.
  • The proofreading system of Word is not the greatest in the market. Yes, it detects spelling mistakes and basic grammatical mistakes. But some major errors are always left undetected most of the time. I have to use an additional proofreading software to properly curate a piece of content.
  • Excel is a complex software and requires serious training. There are lots of formulas in Excel but aren't mentioned in the software itself. Hence making it user friend will help a lot of slow learning users.
Office 2016 resolves most of the basic needs.

• If you're a content curator Word is great for you. But for serious writers it creates distractions. Also, proofreading is not up to the mark.
  • If you work in the corporate sector, PowerPoint is kind of a must need for your presentations.
  • Excel can help you create numeric reports, graphs or solve basic accounting issues. It can also help you manage basic ERP if you work in a small business or play around small numbers. But for big numbers, you have to switch to a better option as it all gets pretty messy and unmanageable.
  • The outlook is a good email client. But if your PC is low end, it might lag a bit.
Read Niladri Chatterjee's full review
ercan taş profile photo
October 01, 2019

Best office tool

Microsoft Office 2016 is being used by our whole company. We prepare Word reports using extensive information about our work, and process cases based on a large number of documents. We also use Excel to create large forms and present our ideas in PowerPoint. Sharing documents and reports is really easy. You can even share folders within the entire company. In fact, my organization works across the entire Microsoft Office suite.
  • It allows you to do your job with ease on any device, anywhere, any time.
  • Integrates desktop applications, servers and services for all operating systems.
  • I don't have any dislikes.
A great office program for large and small businesses.
Read ercan taş's full review
Amy Sternin profile photo
September 13, 2019

Office 2016 Is Just Fine

We use Office 2016 across the entire organization. We are able to have all people trained on the same tool, making our training and implementation of business software streamlined and this eliminates the issue of how to convert/integrate different files/systems. It also provides ease of use due to the consistency of the functions/features across the products.
  • The only new feature that we use that I am aware of is One Note sharing. One Note has really increased in popularity, and this is a good feature.
  • For Office in general, the ability to integrate so many software products with Outlook has also been a big benefit.
  • I find the recover files aspect to be very confusing. It is difficult to know whether you want to recover a file or not. Perhaps they could do something to highlight the differences.
  • With Office 2016 there seem to be times that I go to a folder to save, and end up overwriting a whole different document/file. This has happened a number of times, and I believe it occurs when you are changing folders, and for some reason, it defaults you into an existing file.
Office 2016 is necassary for collaboration and being consistent with files used by other companies, which would typically be from Office. The only scenerio i see where it would be less appropriate would be for a very small, 1 or 2 person business, or an individual that does not need to share files or collaborate.
Read Amy Sternin's full review
Adriano Rosa profile photo
Microsoft Office 2016 was being used by our entire organization. It is a complete suite for business, it includes several tools for financial planning, financial analysis, presentations, writing texts, scheduling meetings, scheduling appointments, sending and receiving emails. It offers all of this using its tools: Microsoft Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, and Teams.
  • All in one office solution. Gives you everything you need in one single suite.
  • Excel is a powerful tool for finance analysis and spreadsheet automation.
  • Communicating via e-mail and scheduling meeting with Outlook is really easy.
  • With Microsoft PowerPoint you can make your own presentations.
  • Microsoft PowerPoint could have a wider variety of pre-made presentations.
  • When using Excel/VBA programming you need to be a power user. You need expertise.
  • Sometimes Excel can be annoying, sometimes it crashes out of the blue.
Microsoft Office 2016 is well suited for every organization that needs communication via E-mail. Outlook is a powerful tool for scheduling appointments and sending/receiving e-mails. Furthermore, you have Microsoft Excel, a complete tool for spreadsheet making, financial analysis, and for me it is a very good automation tool, using VBA programming, I can do several actions on my spreadsheets by the click of a button. Also, if you need a report, Word is useful for it.
Read Adriano Rosa's full review
Alyssa Kapinus profile photo
Microsoft Office 2016 is used company-wide. It is the main software program used for data, finance, comp, as well as a variety of other areas including meetings. We would not function as smoothly without it.
  • Universally used so it makes sharing and working with other teams and organizations seamless.
  • Easy to learn. There is plenty of information and resources out there to increase your knowledge and use of the product,
  • At the price, there aren't other programs out there that work as well.
  • Increase data with Excel.
  • More easily compatible with Mac
  • Updated features in Powerpoint.
Microsoft Office 2016 amazing for basic data analytics. It is not very helpful however, in our clinical settings.
Read Alyssa Kapinus's full review
Wesley Renton profile photo
September 13, 2019

Couldn't do without it!

Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and to some extent, Publisher are used on a daily basis at our school by the vast majority of the staff members (teachers and secretaries).

Study guides, summaries, worksheets etc are made using Word, slideshow presentations on various topics are made on powerpoint, exam marks are captured and collated using excel and the "Mailings" function in Publisher is used to import these marks into professionally made reports.
  • Easy to use - There is also a lot of instructional material on the web that can be found to further assist.
  • The programs are extremely functional and there are so many different functions available. Almost anything can be done.
  • None - I am very happy with Microsoft Office.
Well Suited:
  • Getting students to either create a Word document (poster/letter/piece of writing/etc) is very easy using Word - knowing the basics can be taught very quickly.
  • Students are also able to quickly and easily grasp how to create their own slideshows to assist with presentations or orals.
  • Publisher is a tool that takes a little longer to grasp, but you are able to create amazing documents using it.
Read Wesley Renton's full review
Microsoft Office is used by my company almost every day. I have lots of budgeting and finances done in Excel, I also use it for data management of my clients and part time workers. Also I used it to do keyword research for marketing purposes. Anything that is 'data' I put in Excel and manage it or track it. Couldn't live without spreadsheets. Word is used less frequently, but sometimes I have to edit some of the documents or create PDFs and it's useful for that. PowerPoint once in a while.
  • Excel can be a lot of things. I use it for clients data management, brainstorming of ideas, managing finances and for scripts that pick up data from other files. Lots of calculations as well.
  • Word is all you need for creating written documents and exporting to PDF if needed. For years it did the job for me for writing and editing documents, and I didn't have to look elsewhere. Even created books in it which have been published in paper.
  • PowerPoint is all you need for presentations, split the screen with a projector and you are done.
  • MS Office pricing model was great, now it is hard to get now in OEM. Usually the 365 version is offered which is a subscription. Monthly or yearly fees is something I don't like.
  • For a newbie, Excel could be an overwhelm, I think a simplified UI set could be an option to choose from the start.
  • Once again, the pricing model for new editions isn't something that's popular amongst long term users.
You can do it all in Microsoft Excel, like for example project management, however it will always lack features that software made specifically for project management have. However, in Office you can do a lot of the tasks and most of the people know how to use it (or can be teached) so it's always great for a starting point.
November 15, 2019

Makes us look good!

Lately, our organization uses Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides) more than Microsoft Office 2016. However, I have found that Microsoft Office has more capabilities than Google Suite, so I do use it still. It helps me create more professional documents. I also would rather use Microsoft Excel over Sheets for spreadsheets that are more advanced.
  • Enjoy how we can integrate different elements between applications (embed a spreadsheet into a Word document).
  • Formatting - many different options to create the look that we need.
  • Ease in creating a presentation - I appreciate all the different options for creating professional presentations such as embedding videos, customizing backgrounds, etc.
  • There is a cost for Microsoft Office 2016. As a non-profit, we use Google Suite for free, so not all of our staff use Microsoft Office 2016.
  • There is no real-time collaboration. Even if I create a document on word that will need collaboration, I upload it into Google Docs so that I can have real-time collaboration with others.
  • Formatting gets messed up when I upload it into Google Docs for collaboration. It would be nice if it is was more consistent formatting.
- Good for more professional documents.
- Suitable to use for spreadsheets that require a lot of manipulation and complicated functions.
- If you want to do real-time collaboration and sharing, it is not helpful.
- Not everyone has Microsoft Office 2016, so when you are working with other people and want to send them what you have when they open it, and it will appear differently unless if you put it into a pdf.
Office 2016 is being used in many ways by our organization, primarily for Outlook as an email interface with our corporate Office365 email account, Excel as a tool in all departments, though primarily financial, PowerPoint for internal training and as a tool for presentations to clients, and of course Word in virtually all the ways Word can be used in a corporate environment in the Healthcare industry. Using Office provides secure, consistent, easy-to-use document creation and exchange internally and with other organizations given the ubiquitous nature of Microsoft products.
  • The aesthetic quality is light years beyond previous versions of Office and comparable products from other companies.
  • Integration between each of the applications that make up the Office Suite.
  • Legacy integration. We have yet to run into any issues opening or saving as formats for previous versions of Office.
  • Industry-standard implementation.
  • Customizability - It is easy to customize the interface both for appearance and application integration between Office applications.
  • As of yet, I have no complaints about Office 2016. It is potentially the most solid product Microsoft has produced.
Appropriate in any business environment, specifically where various types of data management are necessary and where efficiency and integration between applications that create and manage various data types are necessary. But it's also appropriate for any user in need of a local email solution, and any kind of document creation.
October 29, 2019

The Complete Package

Microsoft Office 2006 is the most essential software in the organization. It is used by every team member. I use Microsoft Office 2016 mainly for Outlook 2016 , Excel 2016, and Word 2016. Outlook keeps me organized by flagging email messages for follow up, creating tasks from emails, and using rules to automatically sort emails.
  • All in one office solution.
  • PowerPoint is great for making slide shows for meetings.
  • Outlook helps me organize emails.
  • Excel spreadsheets and charts.
  • None.
Microsoft Office 2016 is well suited for any business environment. Outlook is a powerful tool for emails, tasks, notes, scheduling appointments. Word is great for creating documents, letters, memos. Excel is excellent for creating spreadsheets. PowerPoint is used for creating slideshows and presentations.
Microsoft Office 2016 is deployed on all end-user laptops at the company. It is in use by the entire organization. It addresses many business needs such as email communication in Outlook, data organization in Excel, and written communication in Word. Several users also employ things like SharePoint and Skype for Business.
  • Excellent communication tool.
  • A leader in written communication.
  • Easy to standardize on.
  • It can be hard to find some features.
  • Some higher-end apps are not user intuitive.
Microsoft Office 2016 is the preeminent solution in its class. It is well suited to just about every scenario.

About Microsoft Office 2016

Microsoft Office 2016 is the familiar suite of Office products including applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for use on a single PC or Mac. The Office 2016 package is a one-time purchase. The applications are not automatically updated; to get the latest version, you must purchase Office again when the new version becomes available.