Microsoft Office 2016 Reviews

Jacob Wall | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 28, 2020

Microsoft Office 2016: Full-featured, industry-standard, & does what you need it to!

Pros and Cons

• Provide industry-standard software to create & edit the most common file types
  • Create visually appealing newsletters & documents
  • Maintain consistency across different tasks & projects
  • Create documents that are universally usable by nearly all computer users
  • It's sometimes too "idiot-proof". It tries to do everything for you, even if you don't want it done; e.g. Excel has an issue where it likes to trim leading zeros, which is seldom convenient.
  • Some new features are available only in the online version (Office 365); e.g. some productivity plugins for Outlook.
  • Locks files for use; kind of like point #1. Often, it would be nice to keep a file open while using it in another application, especially when the other application is only reading and not editing.
Read Jacob Wall's full review
February 28, 2020

Best standalone Office suite available

Pros and Cons

• One thing is does well is it offers live/real-time collaboration. This is especially helpful when there are multiple users working on documents, etc. and changes can be made in real-time, without having to close files.
  • Another benefit with Office 2016 is it's integrated with the cloud. This makes it beneficial to users, in that they can store and share files from the cloud (with applications such as OneDrive, Sharepoint, etc.), and can work with these files even in offline mode
  • One area for improvement is in the upfront expense of licensing. Since the licensing is a one-time purchase (and is not subscription-based), the cost of a license is pretty expensive. The cost of licensing should be cheaper, especially given the fact that this Office 2016 may be used by those that don't need the full functionality of a subscription-based product such as Office 365.
  • The support options are lacking, as compared to a subscription-based product such as Office 365. Support is only available when installing Office 2016. Given the expensive upfront cost of licensing, support should be extended somewhat past the install stage
Scott Herring | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 29, 2019

MS Office - Still the standard, but for how long?

Pros and Cons

• Data manipulation. Excel takes the raw data we receive and allows us to digest it in ways that are useful to our business processes.
  • Communication. Outlook serves as our primary means of communication and setting up appointments.
  • Documentation. Word is the default standard when it comes to using a word processor and we are no different in this regard. Nearly every user has to use the application on a regular basis in order to accomplish their work.
  • Too many features. This sounds like an odd statement, but there are classifications of workers. You have your casual users, regular users, and power users. The majority of our staff do not fit into the power users group that utilizes many of the features. The hardest issue to support is the user finding what it is that they are looking for.
  • Cost. As products from Google and other services gain traction it is harder in our facility to not make the transition to services such as G Suite for education. Our teachers are familiar with the product as it is being used during the class delivery with their students. They don't want to use more products than necessary. We are certainly seeing a divide between the instructional staff and the administrative and support staff in the use of their products.
  • End-user help. There will always be a need to train users on software, however as support resources get stretched thinner, it becomes more important that the end-user be able to find the solutions on their own. This is an endless process, and one that will not fit every type of user, but should be considered when building future versions of the product.
Read Scott Herring's full review
Andrew Shannon | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

Office 2016 is a must have tool for business professionals

Pros and Cons

• Connects to an Exchange 2016 server seamlessly.
  • Opens exported reports in either Excel format or CSV format.
  • Gives users access to PowerPoint for making presentations easily.
  • Office 2016 professional edition can be priced for a single user license, it would be nice to see a drop in the pricing.
  • Office 2016 home edition is a better price but does not include outlook 2016, so it is not a good fit for the workplace environments.
  • Office 2016 can run slowly on older systems, so you need to make sure you have a machine that is 4 years old or less for it to run smoothly.
Read Andrew Shannon's full review
Ricardo G Lopes | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 24, 2019

Office 2016 excellent for mid to power users; scary for novices.

Pros and Cons

• Consistent functionality across the several Office components. This consistency is a great advantage for adoptions of other unused Office components. For example, if you want to publish a book that you have done with Word, you don't need to relearn new menu positions, new file-related actions, new reviewing procedures, etc.
  • Functionality extensions with Add-ins. This has always been a nameplate for Microsoft and Office keeps its tradition. I remember the renowned Bill Gates phrase when Visual Basic has been presented to him, he said: "Make it extensible". So, for example, I use Grammarly to improve my translations and there are thousands of Add-ins that you can purchase to increase your productivity.
  • Continuous improvement of online Office 365 allows for comprehensive usage from any platform, like Apple or Android tablets, Mac or Windows, cell phones and more. Every day and regular user's functions are there. And if you need extensive reviewing capabilities or programming, you can always rely on the desktop version.
  • Spelling and translate for multiple languages are now included in the online version. I should indeed rely more on the online version.
  • Copy and paste between different Office components have been the same for decades. This functionality is simply not user-friendly as it uses the tech lingo, and it says absolutely nothing about the actual output. For example: What is the meaning of HTML format or Formatted text (RTF) or Device Independent Bitmap? IF you are not born in India, you will not get it. A better approach is used by Excel when it says Copy Values and Number formatting. So, please revisit this mold function and help the mortal end user.
  • Office tables in Word are maybe the slower and frustrating functionality in Office. Many Power users and MVP, already highlighted that a bigger (not immense) Word table, can take several minutes to get updated for any single action like inserting a column or changing borders or shades. The issue is so infuriating, that most times I need to shut down the application in order to start later when the machine is idle and I have nothing else to deliver. Even worse is the CPU usage, which constantly absorbs around 28-30%.
  • The VBA object model for Word table should resemble the most efficient and better conceptualized Excel object model for tables. This would dramatically increase the productivity of many VBA developers that develop in both products and it would also be able to develop in new office components without a significant learning curve.
Read Ricardo G Lopes's full review
Michael Kim | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 11, 2020

Office 2016 - Somewhat new look, some new features, required for the Office!

Pros and Cons

• The Microsoft suite is ubiquitous within any tech company and is used by a majority of our vendors. This makes negotiation on Microsoft Word smoother, and we don't need to worry about format issues between Open Office and Microsoft Office since our vendors are all on Microsoft Office.
  • Office 2016 does not crash as often as previous versions, and the autosave feature works very well. The new features and new look are great.
  • There should be auto-formatting so that when we paste from other documents, it formats outlines automatically. Sometimes, it's very difficult to format into a nice-looking document due to various spacing issues or hidden paragraphs.
  • There are frustrations when converting a PDF to Microsoft Word from Adobe Acrobat. A ton of spacing issues, incorrect text conversions, etc., which ends up in a lot of manual work. Microsoft Word should have a good conversion tool to turn PDFs into clean Word copies.
Read Michael Kim's full review
Naveen Gabrani | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 21, 2020

Microsoft Office: Most popular software in the world

Pros and Cons

• Microsoft Word's formatting of documents is very powerful.
  • No other product comes close to the feature set of Office. Very comprehensive.
  • Office is a heavy software. At times it can be slow to load, especially if the machine is not very high-end, or if many applications are running.
Read Naveen Gabrani's full review
Stéfano Bellote | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 15, 2020

MS Office is the Suite to answer nearly all your office needs!

Pros and Cons

• Friendly and intuitive interface, easy to use, the help function is also useful to find out what to do or how to do something when encountering a problem.
  • Lots of tools available for nearly every need you have creating documents, whether formatting text, images or graphics, creating tables, plotting graphs, etc.
  • Having so many tools can sometimes be overwhelming, maybe if MS could still offer them -- of course they are useful -- but make them hidden in an expandable drawer of tools for example. Maybe having the most-used tools visible and the rest hidden like that.
  • Formatting with Word can sometimes be confusing, while formatting the text and space between lines, paragraphs and other things, the instructions to find and getting the format you want could be clearer.
Read Stéfano Bellote's full review
Pamela Dalton | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 10, 2019

MS Office for EVERY office

Pros and Cons

• Excel pivot tables: We have to use these daily to allocate expenses charged on one invoice across 23 different companies. The speed and accuracy of this function is excellent in MS Excel 2016, calculating every line completely accurately.
  • Outlook calendar: I love that we are able to create numerous calendars that can be shared with select users. I have a part-time employee who is on a flexible schedule and she and I can update her daily schedule and share it with my supervisor so everyone knows when and where this employee will be on a daily basis.
  • Outlook calendar/meeting creation: This function in Outlook is wonderful and easy to use. I am able to schedule a meeting, select participants, select meeting area and give details regarding purpose and am able to attach necessary documents pertaining to the meeting.
  • MS Word: I don't like the factory defaults created my Microsoft. I've spent a good amount of time "fine tuning" everything from spacing, margins, tabs and bullet points. Ideally the program should easily allow the user to reset and save these default preferences, but I have yet to discover a way to do this.
  • MS Word: I am not a fan of the offered templates. They tend to be confusing and are not easy to modify.
  • MS Outlook: Searching within the program for a particular topic or name results in a very large return, especially if the search item is vague or incomplete. It would be nice if this program easily allowed a "wild card" search or allowed for multiple definers in the search bar.
Read Pamela Dalton's full review
Lynn DeLaurentis | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 17, 2019

Microsoft Office, easy to use from day 1!

Pros and Cons

• Microsoft Office easily allows us to create new presentations using a variety of modalities, including spreadsheets, video links, and drawings.
  • Microsoft Office has products everyone is already familiar with through their prior schooling which makes training time minimal to non-existent.
  • Microsoft Office has tutorials that are easy to use, to learn beyond the basics and increase usability.
  • Microsoft Office could improve their import functions, when bringing in a file that was created on a different platform.
  • It would be nice to see an 'add to dictionary' function when a word not in it's dictionary comes up repeated times when creating a new work.
Read Lynn DeLaurentis's full review
Tyler Grudowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2019

Microsoft Office - the best word processing software, no question

Pros and Cons

• I really like how Word has templates for all different kinds of documents, like resumes and job descriptions. They are very convenient, especially if you are having a hard time writing one of these documents.
  • Having the ability to quickly write and edit text documents without needing to be connected to the internet is very convenient.
  • PowerPoint allows us to make professional, yet effective, presentations when we need to pitch our company to potential investors.
  • Sometimes, when we are trying to accurately format a document, the Word software spazzes out and has a hard time making it look correct.
  • The collaborative tools could stand to be a bit better. The commenting features are very complicated and are hard to get rid of after someone leaves feedback on your document.
  • I wish that some of the transitions on PowerPoint were a little more professional. Some of them are more gimmicky than professional.
Read Tyler Grudowski's full review
George Bynum | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 07, 2019

Their installation requirements are a hindrance to use

Pros and Cons

• The Word tables function allows proper pasting of data pasted from Windaq. Otherwise, it is much harder to use than earlier versions.
  • Otherwise, I think it does nothing particularly well and except for that need, wouldn't use it.
  • Be available for sale.
  • Be installable without a Microsoft account.
  • Be installable from a local storage device without an internet connection.
Read George Bynum's full review
Laura Gillenwater | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 01, 2019

The Gold Standard of Office Suites!

Pros and Cons

• In the past couple of years, I've learned a slew of really cool, helpful things I can do in PowerPoint, to such an extent that it has now become my primary image editor, even for graphics that I'm not planning to use within a PowerPoint deck! The ability to remove the background in photos is just one of many examples of this. I also have Adobe Presenter, a plug-in that allows me to turn a PowerPoint deck into the polished narrated presentation (even adding a few quiz questions, when I need to). I also love the animation painter feature and the selection pane is a game-changer for PowerPoint!
  • Word also has a plethora of useful features -- in fact, I often prefer to use a table in Word to organize data than to use Excel, because I find it easier to manipulate. For example, I can use Alt+Shift+up arrow or Alt+Shift+down arrow to quickly and easily move rows up or down in the table - not sure why I can't do that in Excel! There's really very little in the way of word processing that one can't do in Word!
  • For Excel, I like the "intelligence" behind it. For example, I like that I can start a column with series of dates (say, every other Tuesday) and, by using the drag-down handle, it will fill in additional rows following that pattern. I also like that it adjusts formulas as you add or remove rows.
  • While I've been quite impressed with all of the image manipulations that I can do in PowerPoint, I would love it if I could do even more, like set more than one transparent color, and I'm sometimes frustrated by the limited recoloring options. Also, I'm still very unhappy that they did away with the whole library of built-in royalty-free clip art and other types of images -- there's no free library available at all anymore - it sends you out to Bing, but then you have to try and find images you can legally use there (and that are in a format that allows you to ungroup and manipulate). I really, really miss the old image library, even if some of the images were old and tired.
  • I also wish that I could change the default layout for new decks and not be forced to start with a title slide. Very often, I'm using PowerPoint to store and manipulate images and, for that, I prefer a blank slide. I also find that I sometimes have problems with color themes when bringing a slide from one deck into another one -- sometimes I can fix those problems but, other times, I find that I can't. I also wish it would allow me to use SVG images and convert other vector images into SVGs.
  • The thing that annoys me most in Word is that I can't change the default indentation for bullet and number lists - in older versions, I had it set so that the bullets were not indented (as part of the Normal template settings), but, in 2016, it forces an indent and I have to manually undo the indent using the thingies on the ruler. I think this may be because Word is trying to be more HTML-friendly, and I don't object to it having that default indented style out of the box, but users should be able to override that by updating their Normal template.
  • I also find it harder to find features that I've been using for years in the ribbons than I did with the old cascading menus.
  • My biggest issue with Excel is just trying to figure out how to use some of the non-basic features, but I think that's largely because I don't use it as often and could probably use some training on Excel.
Read Laura Gillenwater's full review
Jeanette Gass | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 25, 2019

Useful office software that meets all your business needs

Pros and Cons

• Produces high-quality publications.
  • Performs complex budget functions with Excel.
  • Excellent word processing with Word.
  • Saved signatures in the desktop version of Outlook appearing in the online version would be a great improvement.
  • Easier formatting in Word-- sometimes small changes can cause big issues in Word documents.
  • More help tools available for Excel.
Read Jeanette Gass's full review
Cameron Steele | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 24, 2019

Office 2016 is the tool that your business needs.

Pros and Cons

• Simple editing and formatting. Standardizing your documents with your own brand goes a long way.
  • Implementation of multiple files. It seems like you can work with almost any type of document in Office 2016.
  • The industry standard. Whether you're presenting among your peers, or traveling to speak to like-minded individuals, you can count on your presentation integrating seamlessly.
  • Building on previous versions. It seems like there has not been a major change since 2012.
  • Clippy! Where is the help when you need it?
  • Add a design element. For the price, I am sure you could manage to add a simple design and photo editing program to the package that adds value to your customers and meets the needs of social media users.
Read Cameron Steele's full review
Jerome Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 21, 2019

Microsoft Office 2016 Review

• Works well with other Office versions of documents
  • Integrates well with Mac & PC Operating Systems
  • Many Tools for Word, Excel and Powerpoint
  • Some features from the previous versions of PowerPoint were removed causing a little pain with some of our power users
  • The sign in feature can become annoying each time you launch a product
  • The licensing feature sometimes loses its registration, therefore, you receive a message from time to time that your product is unregistered
Read Jerome Pierce's full review
Özgür Erkek, MSc, PRINCE2® | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

As robust as you can imagine, comprehensive office tool for your needs

Pros and Cons

• Excellent mail, meeting and contacts management with MS Outlook.
  • Calculation, graphics, analytics and data management is properly and efficiently done by Excel.
  • Good level management of presentations by MS Powerpoint.
  • Good documentation control and management with MS Word.
  • Capability to save documents as .pdf files or use MS virtual .pdf printer feature.
  • Instant crash issues with MS Office 2016.
  • Difficulty to operate (freeze during sending mail, etc.) while operating large mail databases in MS Outlook.
  • Room for improvement with the analysis toolpak.
  • Compatibility of the files with other Office software.
Read Özgür Erkek, MSc, PRINCE2®'s full review
Niladri Chatterjee | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 16, 2019

Office is a useful software, but the pricing should be considered.

Pros and Cons

• Word is the best software to create documents or textual content to date. It is full of features which allow formatting write-ups pretty easily.
  • PowerPoint is amazing for making slide shows for meetings or while discussing project roadmaps. One can easily present ideas accurately in the form of slides.
  • Excel makes managing accounts really easy and error free. Besides that it helps employees make various reports such as expenses, sales etc. The graphical representation of the numbers, allow other non technical members understand them.
  • It is pretty annoying to open the browser again and again to check emails. With Outlook I don't have to do that anymore. It helps to organize emails and keep it distraction-free.
  • Most of all, the speed Office offers is unmatchable. The products in this software bundle work without lagging even in a below-average PC.
  • The price is too high. There are a lot of PCs in the organization. Licensing each PC costs us a lot. Microsoft should reconsider their pricing.
  • Sometimes one needs a distraction free platform to write stuff. Word is jam-packed with a lot of options that is not needed by everyone. So an option to remove most features and provide a minimal editor should be added.
  • The proofreading system of Word is not the greatest in the market. Yes, it detects spelling mistakes and basic grammatical mistakes. But some major errors are always left undetected most of the time. I have to use an additional proofreading software to properly curate a piece of content.
  • Excel is a complex software and requires serious training. There are lots of formulas in Excel but aren't mentioned in the software itself. Hence making it user friend will help a lot of slow learning users.
Read Niladri Chatterjee's full review
ercan taş | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 01, 2019

Best office tool

Pros and Cons

• It allows you to do your job with ease on any device, anywhere, any time.
  • Integrates desktop applications, servers and services for all operating systems.
  • I don't have any dislikes.
Read ercan taş's full review
Amy Sternin | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 13, 2019

Office 2016 Is Just Fine

Pros and Cons

• The only new feature that we use that I am aware of is One Note sharing. One Note has really increased in popularity, and this is a good feature.
  • For Office in general, the ability to integrate so many software products with Outlook has also been a big benefit.
  • I find the recover files aspect to be very confusing. It is difficult to know whether you want to recover a file or not. Perhaps they could do something to highlight the differences.
  • With Office 2016 there seem to be times that I go to a folder to save, and end up overwriting a whole different document/file. This has happened a number of times, and I believe it occurs when you are changing folders, and for some reason, it defaults you into an existing file.
Read Amy Sternin's full review
Alyssa Kapinus | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 18, 2019

Microsoft Office is Universal

Pros and Cons

• Universally used so it makes sharing and working with other teams and organizations seamless.
  • Easy to learn. There is plenty of information and resources out there to increase your knowledge and use of the product,
  • At the price, there aren't other programs out there that work as well.
  • Increase data with Excel.
  • More easily compatible with Mac
  • Updated features in Powerpoint.
Read Alyssa Kapinus's full review

About Microsoft Office 2016

Microsoft Office 2016 is the familiar suite of Office products including applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint for use on a single PC or Mac. The Office 2016 package is a one-time purchase. The applications are not automatically updated; to get the latest version, you must purchase Office again when the new version becomes available.