Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Microsoft R Open / Revolution R Enterprise, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
Microsoft R Open and Revolution R Enterprise are big data R distribution for servers, Hadoop clusters, and data warehouses. Microsoft acquired original developer Revolution Analytics in 2016.
Microsoft R is available in two editions: Microsoft R Open (formerly Revolution R Open) and Revolution R Enterprise.
- Easy to set up on a windows system and integrate to network drives for data integration.
- Allows easy authenticated user access to the tool to send jobs (one less user/pw on a domain).
- Easy to integrate to other windows applications that are installed beside the software on the same system and on other windows remote systems.
- Relatively low issues in the configuration phase to enable data processing.
- It is not fully featured vs linux open source versions out there.
- It is not as easy to find (or as much) online documentation when having issues with the software.
- Use of this tool alongside WSL applications is still too early. Once WSL gets more general use then this will be a better tool.
- Comprehensive and highly populated repositories allowing for a lot of statistical work to be done quickly.
- Forecasting tools are solid and have provided quick and accurate insight.
- Very steep learning curve... for such a quick and useful tool the learning curve is unacceptable.
- Very dangerous in the wrong hands. Because most add-ons are pre-written, you have to trust the community that malicious script is not used.
- Parallel processing
- Integration with R
- R itself is a programming language, so there is some learning curve
- Sometimes interferes with upgrading R packages
- It's free
- It's open source
- Does the same statistical and data analysis as other programs
- Very high learning curve
- It allows distributed algorithm runs on Hadoop HDFS cluster
- It allows using different file formats such as SAS7BAT files or complex files in tab or comma delimited making data munging easier
- It provides scalable solutions by allowing users to re-use R scripts and distributing the computing over nodes through RHadoop
- When I reviewed the product - release D, at that time, "decision forest algorithm" was not available.
- The tool needs to be more integrated with other data infrastructure tools such as Teradata, Informatica etc. as well as may be with new Hadoop distribution platforms such as Cloudera or Hortonworks so the users don't have to install the tool from scratch
- I would also like to see improved capability around GUI and integration with other ecosystem. As the Big Data ecosystem would evolve in next 2-3 years, I would like to see Rev-R becoming more compatible with start-ups as well.