Moz, from the same-named company in Seattle, Washington, is one of the most popular SEO platforms for tracking the performance of all inbound marketing efforts comprehensively. It reveals how content is being shared through social channels and how that drives traffic to a website, and features a broad toolset for search engine optimization: rank tracking, link opportunites, site audit via Moz Analytics, prospective keyword analysis and content grading, as well as a crawl test to find broken or poorly designed site elements. Moz offers free SEO tools to get started, after which the Standard pack starts at $99 and supports 5 Moz Analytics Campaigns, 300 keywords, 250,000 crawled pages, and 15 social accounts. The subsequent higher priced tiers available for $149, $249, and $599 (Medium, Large, and Premium) support white label reporting and more keyword and activity coverage, for agencies of increasing size.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/uS/on/T211ZNOJIK9I.PNGA Worthy Tool, Worth Your ConsiderationWe're using Moz in our marketing department to research our website as well as those of our competitors. In addition, we use Moz to analyze traffic to our site via backlinks and various other criteria. At the end of the day, it's one of many tools we use to help manage our online reputation, which isn't the best but certainly improving thanks to the insight Moz provides and the insight-driven action we take.,Backlink analysis - not only can you see every backlink to your site, but the SEO "strength" of the backlinking domain. We realized we had PLENTY of backlinks, but not as many as we'd like from stronger domains. Now, we're targeting stronger domains with relevant content containing links to those domains. The Moz Bar - A must-have for any Chrome user involved in SEO in any capacity like myself. Just click the little Moz Bar icon and it'll bring up the site's title tag, meta tag, domain authority, page authority, and so much more. Keyword Explorer - Not unlike many of these SEO sites, Moz has a fairly robust keyword explorer that breaks down the keyword(s) you search into categories like monthly volume, difficulty, similar suggestions and more. What I like is that you can save a set of keywords to your account if you're looking to run a particular campaign.,This is tough as I'm fairly green when it comes to SEO. But, that's what Moz excels at in my experience. If there's something you don't understand or would like to know more about, they have a massive library of helpful content. I do wish the live chat functionality was actually live. They're somewhat quick to respond (>24 hours), but it's always been a gamble as to when I'll actually receive a response to my question.,9,I can't answer that question accurately as I don't have access to the budgetary metrics of our business. I can say it's certainly helped us glean insight into HOW to gain a positive ROI, but can't attest to the true figures because I simply don't know.,Infusionsoft, Basecamp, WordPressLove Moz for SEOMy editorial team uses Moz on a daily basis. It helps us determine successful key words for articles, landing pages, and social media content. We use it to help us manage SEO.,Keyword selection - helps us choose the best keywords to target Recommended keywords - sorting & filtering these results by audience reach is really helpful On-page grading of SEO goes way beyond the basics & helps identify problems & solutions for SEO.,I would love a "click to compare" option for keywords. You can do this with larger campaigns, but often I am searching for a single-use keyword (for a blog post, for example) and want to compare the data for multiple keywords without using the page navigation.,10,We are currently in process with a few case studies where we took poorly performing (but well-written) articles and followed all of the recommended steps on the page grader. Although analysis is still limited because it has only been about a month, we are starting to see improved traffic.,Google Analytics,Trello, WordPress, Yoast Wordpress SEO Plugins, Slack, Google Drive, DropboxSEO for everyone w/MozOur company uses Moz as a tool to save time and simplify a number of tasks related to our website and digital presence. These include keyword research, tracking ranking performance, content optimization, & competitor analysis, among others. We've been Moz users for quite a while and have consistently found the tool suite to be very helpful for our small marketing team!,The keyword research tool, 'Keyword Explorer' provides a lot of information in a very consumable format. Moz's 'Crawl Test' tool is great for prioritizing issues by impact. While a lot of other competitor tools will identify and report on trouble-making URLs and errors that need attention, the Moz UI and readily available resource articles and tips make it a much more complete solution; we're able to identify technical SEO errors, get assistance with prioritizing them, and find instructions for how to fix issues, all in one place. Moz has a developed community of SEO folks, digital marketers, and internal staff that are always quick to answer questions and provide feedback.,For our keyword research needs, we typically end up using other tools to supplement the data we get with Moz. Consequently, a lot of our research is compiled outside Moz. The social media tool, FollowerWonk, was included with a Moz subscription at one point, but is no longer available. We were sad to see it go! Tracked competitors are limited to three per campaign.,9,Using Moz and moving our SEO efforts in house, has allowed us to eliminate thousands in agency spend.,Google Analytics, Microsoft Power BI, Hootsuite ProMoz - A good all-in-one SEO tool that has yet to reach its true potentialI work for a small marketing agency and we use it to optimize landing pages for keywords as I found its Page Grading Tool to be immensely helpful in that regard. Moz also features a local search optimization tool called Moz Local. We have clients who also need local SEO, where we configure Moz to monitor Google SERPs for countries and areas of their operation. Moz has given us fairly consistent data and reports, but know that local SEO requires a lot of manual labor and no tool can do it all by itself. Moz knowledge base is huge and offers a vast amount of useful data. Moz Pro dashboard is sprinkled with tips and they are useful to novice and advanced users, as well. Rand Fishkin explains what every feature does in the videos, so you'll always learn something new while using the platform. When setting the campaign, you'll be asked to input 3 of the competitor websites and also choose which search engines you want to use. I find this feature quite nice, as you'll be able to track the progress nicely.,Reporting system Competition comparison On-page grading system Moz is great for reporting when you have a lot of campaigns to monitor, even though their database lacks the vastness of other SEO tools,Not very clean UI UI not responsive Not very accurate link index,7,Positive impact on ROI Positive impact on conversions Positive impact on visibility,Ahrefs Site Explorer, SE Ranking and Serpstat,Serpstat, Ahrefs Site Explorer, SE RankingMoz Makes SEO EasyMoz is a very powerful tool for analyzing search traffic and measuring performance. We had a bit of a hard time setting up the campaigns within the system, but once we figured out the best way to structure the setup, it was very useful. We used the system regularly, making technical audits a part of our SEO strategy. The reports we subscribed to kept us updated and notified us of any changes we would want to know about and allowed us to monitor our campaigns without doing too much legwork. We could have utilized more of the capabilities considering how much the basic offerings helped us but didn't get far enough into the system.,Technical SEO audit reports Keyword tracking and competitive rankings Grouping keywords into campaigns to monitor as group Automated reporting emailed regularly,Easier or more structured setup - maybe guided tour to walk through examples More recommendations for customers. There is some degree of this, but it is helpful to have various different kinds of recommendations. The video tutorials are helpful - I watched a lot of them, but if I had to think of something, I would recommend more of this.,9,Positive - one of our team goals was to boost SEO and Moz allowed us to benchmark and track progress We were able to identify areas we had a gap in coverage and to create content to fill that We optimized pages to boost our conversion on pages that Moz identified as being higher value since they had better SEO value,SEM rush, Captora and Conductor Searchlight,WordPress, HubSpot
Moz

Moz Reviews

Moz
Filter 229 vetted Moz reviews and ratings
Andrew Silverstein profile photo
April 25, 2018

Moz Review: "A Worthy Tool, Worth Your Consideration"

• Backlink analysis - not only can you see every backlink to your site, but the SEO "strength" of the backlinking domain. We realized we had PLENTY of backlinks, but not as many as we'd like from stronger domains. Now, we're targeting stronger domains with relevant content containing links to those domains.
  • The Moz Bar - A must-have for any Chrome user involved in SEO in any capacity like myself. Just click the little Moz Bar icon and it'll bring up the site's title tag, meta tag, domain authority, page authority, and so much more.
  • Keyword Explorer - Not unlike many of these SEO sites, Moz has a fairly robust keyword explorer that breaks down the keyword(s) you search into categories like monthly volume, difficulty, similar suggestions and more. What I like is that you can save a set of keywords to your account if you're looking to run a particular campaign.
  • This is tough as I'm fairly green when it comes to SEO. But, that's what Moz excels at in my experience. If there's something you don't understand or would like to know more about, they have a massive library of helpful content. I do wish the live chat functionality was actually live. They're somewhat quick to respond (>24 hours), but it's always been a gamble as to when I'll actually receive a response to my question.
I think Moz is well-suited for bigger enterprise businesses looking to take more control over their SEO appearance and results on Google's SERP. If you work for a smaller local business, I think your money is better invested elsewhere. There are plenty of free tools out there that can help you up your SEO game on a local level - including many from Google themselves.
Read Andrew Silverstein's full review
Katie Bodell profile photo
April 25, 2018

User Review: "Love Moz for SEO"

My editorial team uses Moz on a daily basis.

• Keyword selection - helps us choose the best keywords to target
  • Recommended keywords - sorting & filtering these results by audience reach is really helpful
  • On-page grading of SEO goes way beyond the basics & helps identify problems & solutions for SEO.
  • I would love a "click to compare" option for keywords. You can do this with larger campaigns, but often I am searching for a single-use keyword (for a blog post, for example) and want to compare the data for multiple keywords without using the page navigation.
I have found Moz to be way more beneficial than other services (such as Google's AdWords) both in its user-friendly layout and the depth of analysis the site can provide. Moz has helped us target keywords that we never would have thought of without its "suggested keyword" option helping us to see what users are actually searching for.
Read Katie Bodell's full review
Samuel Klepinger profile photo
April 25, 2018

User Review: "SEO for everyone w/Moz"

• The keyword research tool, 'Keyword Explorer' provides a lot of information in a very consumable format.
  • Moz's 'Crawl Test' tool is great for prioritizing issues by impact. While a lot of other competitor tools will identify and report on trouble-making URLs and errors that need attention, the Moz UI and readily available resource articles and tips make it a much more complete solution; we're able to identify technical SEO errors, get assistance with prioritizing them, and find instructions for how to fix issues, all in one place.
  • Moz has a developed community of SEO folks, digital marketers, and internal staff that are always quick to answer questions and provide feedback.
  • For our keyword research needs, we typically end up using other tools to supplement the data we get with Moz. Consequently, a lot of our research is compiled outside Moz.
  • The social media tool, FollowerWonk, was included with a Moz subscription at one point, but is no longer available. We were sad to see it go!
  • Tracked competitors are limited to three per campaign.
Moz provides a lot of value for small-medium sized marketing teams in terms of reducing the workload and complexity involved with managing website SEO efforts. The tools are great and the resources/support/community backing the solution are outstanding. Moz does an excellent job of making it easier for both digital marketing newbies and vets to make decisions and drive results.
Read Samuel Klepinger's full review
Dragan Nikolic profile photo
April 25, 2018

Review: "Moz - A good all-in-one SEO tool that has yet to reach its true potential"

• Reporting system
  • Competition comparison
  • On-page grading system
  • Moz is great for reporting when you have a lot of campaigns to monitor, even though their database lacks the vastness of other SEO tools
  • Not very clean UI
  • UI not responsive
  • Not very accurate link index
Moz is great for tracking your SEO progress for multiple clients. It doesn't always offer the most accurate data, but it shows you the direction your campaigns are heading, which is very important. If you're trying to do link-building or anything that has to do with links, I suggest you look for Ahrefs or SEMrush.
Read Dragan Nikolic's full review
Lindsey Marymont profile photo
April 19, 2018

User Review: "Moz Makes SEO Easy"

• Technical SEO audit reports
  • Keyword tracking and competitive rankings
  • Grouping keywords into campaigns to monitor as group
  • Automated reporting emailed regularly
  • Easier or more structured setup - maybe guided tour to walk through examples
  • More recommendations for customers. There is some degree of this, but it is helpful to have various different kinds of recommendations.
  • The video tutorials are helpful - I watched a lot of them, but if I had to think of something, I would recommend more of this.
It depends on what they are trying to do, but Moz was really helpful getting started with an SEO strategy and helping us work toward SEO goals. There are various tiers of the product so it might have more functionality in other areas, but in my experience, Moz was very helpful in getting started and for tracking/monitoring performance rather than taking our efforts to the next level with recommendations or developing a strategy.
Read Lindsey Marymont's full review
Roman Prokopchuk profile photo
November 21, 2017

"Moz Review By Experienced Digital Marketing Executive"

Analyzing link profile, help with SEO site audits, and content analysis. Open site explorer has been one of the greatest assets in my SEO career and has benefited all campaigns managed and worked on.
  • Understand strength of site and individual pages.
  • Bank link profile analysis.
  • Competitor analysis
  • Rank tracking
  • Making site audit features more robust.
  • Improve capabilities of keyword explorer.
Competitor analysis of onsite strengths, competitor backlink analysis, and keyword discovery.
Read Roman Prokopchuk's full review
April 20, 2018

Moz Review: "Keyword tracking made easy!"

As a company that not only builds websites for clients but builds robust digital strategies for them as well, it’s important to have an arsenal of great tools to help with reporting. We have used Moz for several years to track keywords, compare search visibility with the competition, and optimize web page content to enhance overall website SEO efforts.
  • The keyword tracker tool is phenomenal. It’s so helpful to be able to track keyword progression over weeks and months.
  • If search term volume is important, Moz is great at assisting in finding high-volume keywords your company should be targeting when writing content.
  • The on-page grader is an awesome way to pinpoint issues on a page-by-page basis. Fixing website content can be like taking a stab in the dark, but with this tool, Moz tells you how to enhance page content every step of the way.
  • Moz has a basic competitor analysis function, but in order to truly see how a competitor is doing, you almost need to create a new project for that competitor. The tool is excellent for single website management, but not as robust as some other tools when it comes to competitor analysis.
If you’re in the SEO or SEM game, Moz is an absolute must to have in your arsenal.
Rodrigo Stockebrand profile photo
September 04, 2015

"Moz - An overall gleaming review from an enterprise agency user"

We only use Moz for the day to day activities in the SEO department, but we're slowly beginning to use the data in new ways that is making traction across the company. For example, we export Moz data to create network maps of sites and it's resonating well with other departments like web analytics and strategy. Also, when we do competitive research using Moz Open Site Explorer (OSE), we typically uncover some pretty interesting websites out there that we then share with our global design teams as either what to do, or what not to do.
  • Moz provides lots of data, all processed and sent back to the end-user fairly quickly. Which is critical for my work since most of my clients are large enterprises with hundreds of thousands of data points (links, pages, etc...), and we generally have quick turnaround periods.
  • Moz provides a great user-interface that we often take screenshots of and include in client reports (e.g. keyword difficulty visuals). This saves me a ton of time since I can quickly add them instead of having to reformat (or recreate) them on other tools that have visuals that are less attractive and eye-catching.
  • Moz customer service has always been incredible. I always feel like I'm getting my questions answered from a real person and that they are doing what's in my best interest. One particular time I called with a question on how to use OSE for a particular pitch and the rep saved me a bunch of time by running the reports for me, as well as giving me his thoughts on how to best leverage.
  • I've always felt that I only know about 10% of what I could possibly really do in Moz. So what would be really helpful is knowing how some other enterprise type users are using the tool. I will say however, that the quick videos on Twitter have been really helpful, as well as the blog posts that really dive into the tool capabilities. Perhaps it's just me being lazy and not proactively learning the tool;)
  • I've always been skeptical of the Moz data that is being pulled in from Google Analytics, since it sometimes doesn't match up with what I see in Google Analytics and is also generally very high-level and not very actionable. Also, would be nice to get Site Catalyst integration.
  • I'm a little concerned with the Mozcon. This is the first year I didn't purchase the super early bird ticket on the spot at the event because I'm starting to feel it's not the best conference for an advanced SEO looking for specific strategies and tactics that could be applicable to large enterprise SEO practices.
For the agency and our enterprise clients- I'd highly recommend the tool for anyone doing any type of SEO work.

And for personal freelance projects (generally SMBs) - I'd recommend it for almost all purpose (broader digital/content marketing, SEO, and local optimization).
Read Rodrigo Stockebrand's full review
Richard Peterson profile photo
September 30, 2015

User Review: "Moz makes my life easier"

Moz is currently used to manage aspects of our SEO program that we feel are more readily updated directly by our team instead of waiting for an outside vendor to get to it. We like the accuracy of the data and options for moving forward.
  • One big strength of Moz is that you do not need to go to an off-site training session to get up to speed. The quality of the on-line tutorial videos is very good and they allow us to add new features as we need them.
  • The alerts force us to update any issues immediately. It is a great way to maintain control over your SEO program.
  • We feel there needs to be more on SEO 101 to get beginners up to speed. As we add to our team I'd like Moz to teach them the basics, not requiring me to do that function.
The question that Moz answered better than any of the other service providers was "How can your service make my life easier as compared to the competition?" Most vendors kept on telling us what unique gadgets they offer. Moz was the only one that provided answers in the Feature-Advantage-Benefit mode. I don't care about your gadget, what is the benefit that gadget delivers to me?
Read Richard Peterson's full review
Louis Swingrover profile photo
September 04, 2015

Moz Review: "Nothing is Impossible"

We use Moz to automatically track rankings and other metrics, and on this front it is one of the best. It has an expansive index that is kept fresh on a regular basis and the designers think creatively about various use cases. We also mine OSE for links and insights, and make extensive use of the Keyword Difficulty tool for research.
  • Automatic, up-to-date rank tracking & analytics
  • Extensive, fresh index of backlinks throughout the web
  • Helpful built-in usability coaching
  • Helpful details and flourishes
  • Cutting-edge education
  • Community
  • Integrity
  • Moz needs to integrate their products better across Followerwonk, Local, and Analytics
  • Moz needs significant improvement to their tracked keyword "gardening". I need to edit keyword tags in batches.
  • I would like to see Labs come back.
Moz is a good value. If a business needs the paid tools, I'd recommend going with Moz. If a business is on a shoestring budget and doesn't have an immediate need for the tools, I'd recommend making use of the free tools, education, and community. If a business needs online marketing work but doesn't have anyone internally who has the time or inclination to perform the work, that business probably does not need their own Moz account. Work with a professional who has their own tools.
Read Louis Swingrover's full review
Ingo Grammel profile photo
July 08, 2015

User Review: "Moz - Affordable and Useful SEO Tool"

We use Moz across our marketing department for various clients. It's an important part of our SEO process. I find it most useful for competitive research, keyword tracking and for inbound link analysis.
  • Keyword Rankings and how competitors rank alongside you
  • Inbound link analysis - Includes domain authority of inbound links and anchor text used. This is helpful when comparing with Google Webmaster Tools as well.
  • Research Tools are also very good. On-Page Grader, rank tracker and keyword difficulty are all useful tools for analysis and assessing the competitive environment.
  • Be sure to sync up Google Analytics and social media when possible.
  • Would like to see the ability to add more competitors for rank tracking
  • Would like to see more competitive pricing for Moz Local and maybe combo packages for multiple locations
It's just a great tool for the money. It's ideally suited for tracking keyword performance over time against competitors. Crawls are done weekly so they don't put a strain on internal resources or artificially inflate your keyword queries. Try to link GA and any social media to your campaign(s) whenever possible.
Read Ingo Grammel's full review
Sylvia Huang profile photo
March 13, 2015

Moz Review: "Great Community, Great Tool"

SEOmoz is strictly used by the SEO team at our organization. We manage many different websites so we mostly use it to it to garner data to help us drive and prioritize optimization decisions. Being data driven, we like to gather insights about how a site as a whole is doing by looking at the page crawler and also use details of pages and keywords (not so much anymore) to gather trends and find new opportunities.
  • The Blog and Community - they're both great daily resources to stay up on top of news and happenings in the SEO world. It's also a great place to continually learn more from each other as well as share insights. It's also an excellent place for people just getting into SEO or inbound marketing to get a lot of good information.
  • Open Site Explorer - great for finding good links, finding bad links, and staying up to date with who is linking to you and with what.
  • Page Crawler - allows us to make in-depth reviews about which pages need improvement or helps us understand why certain pages are performing better or worse than others.
  • Moz Analytics has some nice trend charts and graphs but overall seems a bit cluttered.
  • The limits to each package seem to be restricting our sites to getting full views of our data.
  • Wish there was the capability to do more specific/detailed filters in OSE so we can get a better view of external links that are not from the root domain nor from our corporate sites. I know we can export and filter but it'd be nice to do it in the tool itself.
There are a lot of tools out there. I would try them all out to see what suits your team best based on your team's skill and the goals and focus for you and your company. Some tools have more strength in offering data and actionable insights, others do the same but are difficult to navigate, some are more focused on links, while others just on analytics. Often times, it also depends on the size of your campaigns and the data you're looking for. It really varies and also depends on your budget. I would say Moz could be a good starting point, then again so can Raven Tools.
Read Sylvia Huang's full review
Jesse Landry profile photo
February 25, 2015

User Review: "Moz Love"

Used by the marketing department for SEO and inbound marketing analytics. Keyword prefomance tracking, onsite SEO issues, and organic traffic indicators all features used within.
  • Backlink research
  • Keyword rank tracking
  • Onsite SEO issue identification
  • More tools
  • More frequent OSE updates
  • More frequent updates
Well suited for anyone doing inbound marketing!
Read Jesse Landry's full review
Richard Naimy profile photo
February 04, 2015

User Review: "Moz and what it means to me"

I use Moz professional tools for SEO research purposes and insights. Moz Pro Tools are currently only used by me. Moz Pro Tools allow me to gain insight into how one domain is performing against its competitors when looking at Moz ranking factors. I also read the blog on a daily basis to keep up on the latest SEO/SEM trends and debates. Moz has a wonderful community of highly engaged professional search marketers who span the search marketing spectrum and love to share their insights and findings. I personally find a tremendous value from being apart of this Pro community!
  • Moz has a ton of valuable data with regards to URLs indexed. The Moz tool allows me to gain insights into search engine rankings and how they may view my sites.
  • The power of Moz's community and Q&A forums: there is a wealth of information in there, and I love that I have the opportunity to tap into it when I need to!
  • Another strength I see is in their customer service. I have had few issues, but when I did, they were resolved quickly and professionally.
  • Moz's leadership - Rand is a great leader and industry advocate!
  • Moz's Marketing analytic tools, both free and paid, are yet another powerful tool in the tool box!
  • I guess I would like to see more training videos on how best to leverage their tools. Or watch video from other community member on how they leverage Moz's pro tools.
Laymen in the industry might be overwhelmed or may only engage with the Q&A forum in the beginning. Understanding search marketing and SEO takes time, learning to leverage all the tools and understand what it all means take time and energy. Even I, a professional with 16 years of experience, need more training on how to better utilize the Pro tools.
Read Richard Naimy's full review
Jeremy Estes profile photo
February 04, 2015

User Review: "Moz as a supplemental tool."

We use Moz in conjunction with other Internet marketing tools for tracking, auditing, and optimizing organic and social search marketing campaigns.
  • Competitive analysis, particularly linking.
  • Rank tracking for current campaign keywords.
  • Analyzing on page elements.
  • Their modules don't work well together. For example: You're tracking keywords in rank tracker, and that data doesn't automatically get monitored in the on-page grader.
If you run organic search campaigns, Moz is a helpful tool for gathering complete picture data. It is definitely not a tool I would run by itself though.
Read Jeremy Estes's full review
David Gray profile photo
December 04, 2014

Review: "Moz: Serious Search Software & Tools for the SEO"

The Search Engine Marketing Team at Analog Devices uses Moz software tools. We use it for keyword and link research. We also use the On Page Grader to help our internal marketing customers better understand on page optimization best practices.
  • In this Engineering-based environment, where all decisions need to be data driven and where everyone is an expert, ("A prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home, "), any outside research source is extremely valuable in convincing the critics of your informed opinion. Moz tools and especially the On page grader are useful in convincing the nay-sayers about just how poorly optimized their pages are.
  • Whiteboard Friday is without equal in keeping me informed with the latest SEO industry trends. Rand Fishkin provides succinct and timely advice on search engine algorithms and the tactics and strategies to help SEOs to stay ahead of these changes.
  • The Moz Blog is a resource which can be used to get advice and answers to questions from experts and SEOs from similar industries or agencies.
  • The link finding tool could be more robust in finding deeper linking opportunities than the ones which are on the surface.
Overall the Moz software, tools, blog, and Whiteboard Friday are a must have for SEOs who want to stay abreast of the latest Search algorithms and trends. Moz has traditionally attracted more small business memberships, however all the research and tools are extremely useful for enterprise level companies too.
Read David Gray's full review
Mike Tekula profile photo
May 28, 2014

Moz Review: "An Indispensable Tool Set for Content Marketers and SEOs."

We use Moz to monitor traffic and search/social visibility for our clients' brands, as well as for competitive analysis to help our clients identify opportunities and prioritize online marketing activities. Particularly, Moz's Open Site Explorer link data set and reporting tool is highly valuable to our work - I use this tool daily. Moz's traffic analytics are intuitive, but I do not frequently use this piece of their tool set. Other highly valuable components of the Moz suite of tools are the Keyword Analysis tool, which is great for analyzing the level of competition for a given target keyword, the Rank Tracker tool and the Fresh Web Explorer, which is useful for tracking mentions for client and competitor brand and product names recently discovered across the web.
  • Intuitive user interfaces - Moz has invested heavily into making their tools/reports beautiful and easy to use, and the interfaces get better all the time
  • Focus on actionable data - Moz started as a SEO consultancy, and this is apparent in the functionality of their tools. Most data can be exported in various formats, and overall their interfaces are kept simple with a focus on highlighting clear, actionable data (many competing tools provide overwhelming amounts of data in their reports).
  • Constant updates - the team at Moz constantly monitors usage of their various tools and surveys users for feedback. This data is used to prioritize enhancements. They reinvest in making the tool set better every day, and it shows.
  • Traffic reporting - their overall traffic reporting isn't as customizable as I'd like, and I find the interface less-than-intuitive next to Google Analytics or similar analytics tools.
  • Too many tools - Moz has a lot of great functionality, but they've built/acquired so many tools over the years that I believe they need to reevaluate which of these tools they should continue to support. The On-Page Grader, for example, strikes me as a low-value tool that they should consider removing.
  • Missing rel=canonical tag support in Open Site Explorer - this tag essentially changes the link graph and passes link equity away from the page in question, and currently Open Site Explorer does not account for this (which can be misleading for marketers who aren't aware of the function/existence of this tag).
There are three tools in the Moz suite that I think are most valuable, for particular uses/situations:

1) Open Site Explorer is a phenomenal tool for evaluating the inbound link profile of any website. It is also a great way to uncover the most linked-to pages on any site, which can quickly highly content strategies that the site in question has used to drive its SEO authority.
2) Fresh Web Explorer is a valuable tool for tracking mentions in the short term, which is a great leading indicator of brand visibility and authority useful for any marketer conducting online content creation / promotion.
3) Followerwonk is an excellent tool for evaluating Twitter followers or searching for influencers who use given word(s) in their profiles. This is a great tool for finding influencers in a given space/topic for content outreach and other promotional efforts.
Read Mike Tekula's full review
Kyle Claypool profile photo
May 16, 2014

Moz Review: "Critical Tool for SEO Professionals"

The Digital team uses Moz tools almost daily. We manage SEO, social media and web strategy for our clients. OpenSiteExplorer is one of the best research tools out there for backlink research. FollowerWonk is a new service they acquired which has powerful Twitter analytics. We have also used the Moz API to pull data directly into our own reporting system. Their research tools are very valuable for new business pitches. While not directly related to the Moz platform, they also provide some of the best education in the industry through their blog and MozCon events.
  • Tracking keyword rankings over time
  • Tracking backlinks
  • Educating the community
  • Analyzing Twitter profiles via FollowerWonk
  • Only tracks keyword rankings within the top 50 results - would like to see top 100.
  • The on-page optimization recommendations are spotty because it may grade a page based on the wrong keyword. We don't use this feature much.
I think every company providing web marketing services should be using Moz. It's a great value, entirely self-service, and easy to learn how to use. For businesses not in the marketing space, if driving traffic from search engines is a goal, Moz is probably a worthwhile investment.
Read Kyle Claypool's full review
Mackinley Levine profile photo
May 16, 2014

Review: "MOZ - Powerful and User-Friendly SEO Suite"

Our editorial staff has some experience using Moz, but I'm the primary user of the product.

Part of my role involves determining the SEO health of various sections of the site, and Moz's keyword tracking feature allows me to label keywords accordingly. This is nice, because it doesn't require me to keep any external documentation indicating which keywords are which.

I'm also responsible for addressing is technical issues with certain sections of the site. Moz provides a crawler that takes a peek at our site every week, but it's very basic and cannot receive positive instructions regarding which pages to crawl. You can, however, use robots.txt to tell the crawler which pages you want it to ignore. This wouldn't pose a problem for smaller brands (with smaller sites), but because our site is so big on content, Moz's cap of 10,000 crawled pages severely limits the usefulness of this tool for me.
  • Moz allows you to label keywords easily. This makes the data far more meaningful (and easy to organize) when you export week-over-week keyword rankings to Excel.
  • Moz's onpage grader is fantastic, because it runs each page through a check list of common sense SEO criteria and "grades" the page accordingly.
  • Moz's SERP analysis is really cool. Unlike the tool SEMRush provides, Moz doesn't just give you a breakdown of who's ranking for a given keyword--they show you how these sites stack up against each other in terms of domain authority, back links, linking domains, etc. Sometimes, meaningful patterns jump out of this information, providing us with a strategy to emulate.
  • Moz's crawler is very limited, but I consider it an add-on. If the crawler could receive positive instructions regarding which subdirectories to crawl, I wouldn't consider the 10,000 page cap to be a big deal.
  • Moz's on-page grader doesn't account for synonyms or keywords that are considered semantically identical by Google. For instance, a page that's ranking for "1st grade math worksheets" receives an "F" if the
  • I still have yet to figure out how to permanently sync Moz with our Google Analytics account. The plugin constantly gets disabled due to an issue I have yet to resolve.
  • Are you looking for a crawler for a very large content site? Moz may not be your best bet, depending on the size of your site. Remember--their crawler is limited to 10,000 pages.
  • If you're looking to learn SEO or brush up on your knowledge of SEO best practices, Moz's on-page grader is very handy. Because they provide solid explanations for why every issue is in fact an issue, you can address optimization problems and learn SEO best practices simultaneously as you move through the checklist of issues. It's useful software for people who know their stuff, but it's also a really cool service because it doesn't assume a whole lot of prior SEO knowledge on the part of the user, either.
  • If you want to track week-over-week performance for tons of keywords (which can be labeled and organized), Moz is a great product. You will also have access to a ton of historical data if the tracking feature has been enabled long enough, which is really cool.
Read Mackinley Levine's full review
Samantha Hornby profile photo
May 09, 2014

"Moz Review - Keyword Analysis and Website Diagnostics"

Moz is used exclusively by the marketing department at Blue Link. We use it primarily for SEO related purposes in terms of monitoring keywords and website issues. We also frequently use the forums to find answers to our SEO questions and we follow the blog and community postings to keep up to date on new industry trends. Moz helps us manage our keywords in terms of performance to help us better target content towards keywords that need improvement and to keep us up to date on which keywords our competitors are targeting. It also helps keep up informed of any website crawl issues.
  • Keyword Ranking - ability to consistently track keyword changes across multiple domains. It is also easy to group keywords together and see different types (for example branded vs. non-branded)
  • Crawl Diagnostics - allows us to track and manage any website crawl errors. Moz also provides insight into the specific issues and how important they are in terms of affecting our site rank.
  • Open Site Explorer - gives us unlimited insight into website rankings. Allows us to determine which sites are worth contacting for possible partnerships and guest posts and how our competitors compare.
  • The biggest issue I have with Moz is that I feel like there are several tools and areas of the site that I am not taking advantage of because I don't know what is available. I find there is not a logical flow to moving through all the tools that can help a company assess all their SEO needs in a very step-by-step process.
  • Some of the tools in Moz are geared towards much larger companies and unfortunately don't apply to us. They do a lot of work around branding, brand mentions, tracking branded keywords etc. but as a company without a well recognized brand name, these tools don't apply. They need more tools geared towards smaller companies.
I think it is more suited to medium-large companies. I would not recommend it to a start-up or very small company as I feel they would not get enough benefit out of the software.
Read Samantha Hornby's full review
Jeff Bedford profile photo
May 08, 2014

Review: "Moz Has Some Great Tools, but Lacks Overall Cohesion"

We use Moz as a supplement to other search tools because we don't feel like it provides a 'complete' tool set and some of the more recent 'Moz Analytics' features seems to have technological issues that send consistent error messages, etc. We use the Open Site Explorer tool regularly to analyze our client and competitor sites. We feel like their inbound link metrics are the best feature and that many others are lagging behind, so we use other tools that we feel do a better job. Moz is also good for its blog content and educational material. The tools to use are just not as good as some others.
  • Moz has been and continues to be a key resource for thought leadership in the marketing industry. There are many blogs, etc. that regurgitate information, but Moz does a good job of being progressive and making sure they have reputable authors/content.
  • Open Site Explorer is a world class tool that provides easy navigation and accessible data. This is a strength because its ease of use can make the research process easier than other tools on the market.
  • Moz also does a good job of building and encouraging a sense of community, which is huge for the marketing world. Allowing users to create their own blog posts and communicate among each other alongside experts is a very empowering thing.
  • Every time I access the new Moz Analytics it tells me my client connection with Google Analytics is broken. This message appears even after I fix it and I've gotten to the point where I don't even try anymore.
  • It seems like their database is often the reason for fluctuation in their data and sometimes this can confuse clients when they see fluctuations.
  • Sometimes you get the feeling that Moz is more about monetization of its new products than providing a strong user experience. They make it very difficult to access legacy tools that functioned better than some of the new ones.
Link based research will always garner a recommendation from me to use Open Site Explorer. So in that context I will always recommend Moz. I will also be wary though to recommend Moz as an all-in-one solution for search and other analytical data. There have not been able to prove to me as a user that their tool set provides a cohesive system, everything feels very fragmented with some features being much more useful than others. I am also likely to recommend the keyword difficulty tool and Moz's competitive data has traditionally been a better indicator of the truth than other tools such as the Google Keyword Planner.
Read Jeff Bedford's full review
Alex Fusman profile photo
June 04, 2014

Review: "Moz is a useful tool for most, but less useful for experts."

Moz is being used by one individual who handles SEO/SEM efforts at the company. The toolbar is used for site stats, OSE is used for backlink research. We don't currently use the PRO version, though I have used that in the past with other companies and clients. The primary business problem it addresses is that it aids in decisions related to competitive data.
  • The toolbar is a great way to see site stats directly in the SERPs
  • The ability to create campaigns within PRO is a good way to monitor competitors and keep things organized
  • The page grader tool helps to create a checklist for basic on-site SEO factors that need to be addressed
  • I believe that the Open Site Explorer (OSE) tool is not as complete or up to date as it could be. Competing tools, such as Ahrefs.com, do a better job of showing all the backlinks for a site, along with more historical data.
  • In the past, I've had issues with the Moz toolbar staying logged in to my account. It would always get logged out in between browsing sessions and was difficult to stay logged in consistently. This seems to have been resolved in the current version.
I think that the Moz toolset is better suited for individuals and organizations that are not conducting SEO efforts at an expert level. A full-time SEO expert doesn't need tips on fundamental on-site SEO, uses a more extensive backlink analysis tool, and doesn't use the Q&A credits. The toolset does provide some time-saving features, so it may still be worth the monthly subscription fee, but the total feature set is much better suited for those who need help with understanding how to implement SEO rather than those who are already doing it at an expert level.
Read Alex Fusman's full review
Sean Smith profile photo
January 28, 2014

"An Honest Moz Review, by a Content Marketer & SEO"

SEOmoz is being used to optimize SEO campaigns for our clients, as well as integrate social media analytics for better insight into our clients social channels. It is being used in the marketing department of our company – specifically in SEO and social media. The problems SEOmoz addresses are ones of SEO progress tracking, finding next steps in technical SEO best practice implementation and ongoing reporting for our clients with their statistics. It is also used for social media tracking, and link tracking for our clients.
  • SEOmoz does a great job of integrating social media and search marketing progress in to one easily digestible viewing format. At a glance you can see what channel of marketing is the most effective and by how much.
  • SEOmoz does a great job of acquiring like-minded companies like GetListed, FollowerWonk and gain partnerships with other companies such as Buffer and the like to improve synergy between products and offerings. Basically they wrap together the entire internet marketing funnel so well that they would be impossible to dismiss.
  • SEOmoz has a beautiful focus on community, and their massive database of information on their blog, on their faq, on their Q&A give tremendous insight into any SEO problems or strategies you might need a second opinion on, technical or topical.
  • With the new Moz Analytics product they released in the past year there are definitely lapses in UX efficiency. This meaning that it is far harder to use than it should be, or just downright unpleasing to use sometimes. This could definitely use improvement, as the old tool was exceptionally easy to use.
  • SEOmoz (rebranded Moz) now seems to have a diluted view on their approach as a company towards their product. Now focusing on the entire internet marketing funnel as opposed to the SEO focus they had in the past, it seems that they have lost a bit of their niche – and are looking for a way to dig their newer, more broad niche. While they still have a massive following, this doesn't seem to be working out too well from the outside so far, they essentially need to find a very good technical way to wrap together reporting in a very deep and exciting way with data. Using Mailchimp APIs, Google APIs, Twitter & Facebook APIs etc. would help to essentially create a larger-scale reporting tool, which is essentially what "Moz Analytics" has become.
  • They could do a better job at defining issues in current profiles filled out by their customers and give recommendations towards improvements. Such as, "Twitter profile does not have a site link, this needs to be added" or integration and recommendations on local specific campaigns (should be created to have local focused campaigns), "Twitter profile does not have a location set, this needs to be added" and so forth.
Are you looking for a base of operation for your SEO campaigns? This is a great tool. Do you want access to incredible resources that wouldn't be available if you didn't have an SEOmoz account? You should get an SEOmoz account then. Do you want to be able to send ranking reports and other social and analytical driven reports to your clients? Then you should have an SEOmoz account.
Read Sean Smith's full review
Steve Medeiros | Lead Search Analytics Expert profile photo
May 22, 2014

Review: "You are not a true SEO unless you use Moz"

We use Moz to help us keep informed of up to date information going on in the Search industry. Mainly our digital marketing department are the ones who use the tools for competitor analysis, backlinks, SEO tracking etc... The tools are easy to use and we especially enjoy the Whiteboard Friday weekly videos.
  • Leaders for information in the industry.
  • Tools are easy to use, especially when working on an offsite strategy, we find Open Site Explorer very useful.
  • Perfect source for beginners to advanced Search
  • Crawl test limit is too low
  • More tools to analyze social channel performance
  • Would be great to have a tool to analyze G+ perfomance
I would advise anyone in the digital marketing space to become educated with the basis of SEO and search in general. The website provides some fantastic information for anyone at any level in the game. The community forum is also an excellent addition to network and communicate with other professionals in the industry.
Read Steve Medeiros | Lead Search Analytics Expert's full review
Sergio Mercado ✔ profile photo
May 19, 2014

Review: "Moz is a decent, all around SEO and content marketing tool."

Moz is used in order to do a couple of things for our company. Firstly, we are using it for competitive research purposes. Secondly, we are using it for research into new online marketing initiatives—such as content sharing and acquisition of citations.
  • Moz is good for determining site-wide backlink profiles
  • Moz is useful for determining the saturation of individual anchor-text terms
  • Moz is useful for competitive profiling—targeted keyphrases, earned links and content
  • When comparing the backlink data to Ahrefs or Majestic, Moz seems to provide less information
  • I would like to see the ability to make API calls from within microsoft power query
  • The reports sometimes take too long to process or load
It is a great all-around tool and easy for beginners to understand and learn. It is missing keyword research functionality in my opinion--but this is where the larger, more expensive enterprise tools (SEOClarity, BrightEdge, Conductor, etc) come into play. I feel it is still a solid tool to have at your disposal and very useful for any content marketing, SEO or digital media professional.
Read Sergio Mercado ✔'s full review

Keyword analysis (12)
Backlink management (8)
SERP ranking tracking (12)
Page grader (12)
9.4
Competitive analysis (12)
Site audit / diagnostics (12)
Site recommendations (10)
Task management (7)
Local SEO (7)
Social SEO (7)
Mobile SEO (6)
Global SEO (9)
Multi-domain support (8)
Integration with web analytics tools (8)

About Moz