Muck Rack Reviews

May 05, 2020

Great program for PR Professionals

Currently my company uses Muck Rack for two main purposes. The first is to create media lists to pitch client stories and events to. The second is to find out the audience of a specific media outlet for our reports for clients. Another function we use it for is to do an audit of recent media articles by a specific reporter.
  • Find media contacts.
  • Find audience numbers for a specific media outlet.
  • Contacts are not always up to date.
  • It does not have every media outlet's numbers.
I think Muck Rack is a great place to start building a media list and a great place to find the audience for specific media outlets. I don't think it should be the only program used to build the list, and should be double-checked by visiting the outlets themselves and seeing who is covering a specific beat.
February 18, 2020

Essential tool for successful PR

[We use Muck Rack for] finding media contacts and building lists and social reports.
  • Media contacts
  • Alerts
  • Missing reporter info
  • Missing hispanic publications
Well suited for building media lists.
October 17, 2019

Reaching and Engaging with Social Journalists

We use Muck Rack to create media lists based on journalists on social media. Some of the media databases with contact information (mainly phone and email) include outdated contacts. Using Muck Rack is real-time, it allows us to not only identify journalists,not in our media databases, but also usually their LinkedIn and Twitter is more updated than their media database profile so sometimes it's more relevant.
  • Identify journalists and influencers not in traditional media databases.
  • Understand what journalists are talking about topics relevant to your clients.
  • Bios: love being able to search bios, including confirming beats and interests.
  • When you export a media list, it does not include the email address so you have to search for it offline or on the journalist's profile. It's annoying.
  • Sometimes when you save a list, not all the contacts you marked are saved and you have to do it over.
  • There isn't a "click all" button to add all of the contacts to a list. You have to wait until all the people load - which isn't ideal for productivity.
Finding journalists talking about a specific topic such as "tech" in a specific market. You can search what they have tweeted but also their bios, shared articles and profiles. You can find relevant reporters based on beat, location and media type or just search based on location. When you create and download a list, you can see how many followers the reporter has and if they have been active recently on the social channel. Sometimes we'll add a reporter from a national outlet only to find out they have 50 or so followers and are not active on social. It allows us to put together very targeted lists with all of our criteria.

Jennifer Harrison, APR | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 29, 2018

MuckRack is Better than Any Other Media Database

I use MuckRack to search for media, very detailed searches where we look for key words and other factors. I set up media alerts to monitor target media and client names, or simply for key trends we are following. I rely on MuckRack for backgrounding on inquiries (There are so many bogus companies and scams out there). MuckRack addresses the problem I had with rather lame media databases that didn't get into the social posts of media. It was also more cost effective and I think the information is much more reliable.
  • The media alert function is awesome! Google Alerts can't get the detail I need, nor do they filter just for the media. I can set media alerts for particular selection factors such as everyone with "education" as their beat.
  • I am liking the notes ability to log interactions with particular media. This helps me not have to track down conversation chains or actions with media.
  • The interface screen is modern. I love that if I am running a search in one screen, when I click on a particular person or outlet, it opens ANOTHER screen so that I don't have use the back button. I can open, say 10 people at once and compare their notes.
  • I love the PDF summaries from lists. I love the Who shared feature. I LOVE EVERYTHING in MuckRack!
  • There is a weird process in the media lists when you add new names to the list. I know it tracks the date they were entered but the sorting is difficult to manage. ...I have to go into that process to give you specific guidance on what should be changed. I'll do that next time I encounter it.
  • I wish that there was a better way to search regionally or by DMA rank. I'd like to see the media outlet's circulation numbers on the first screen in a search or allow me to filter.
  • I wish there was a better way to see a real difference between registered media and the giant world of contributors and other wonks. Anyone with a commentary gets pulled into the general list yet many contributors are perfect targets for pitches so I don't want to eliminate them by selecting only registered media.
MuckRack is best at getting a good picture of one person's interests and what they like to write about. It helps me build very specific media lists. I don't spray and pray with my outreach. Everything is very targeted and MuckRack lets me find exactly who could be receptive to my story.
Read Jennifer Harrison, APR's full review
Andrew Bard Epstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 19, 2018

MuckRack is the easiest solution for contacting and monitoring media

MuckRack has become an important tool for our communications efforts. It helps us build and manage lists of key contacts at other media organizations, and offers an intuitive platform for contacting them to pitch our reporters for media appearances. MuckRack is also a central part of our media monitoring suite, allowing us to track who is sharing our journalism on social media.
  • Build custom lists of key figures at media organizations
  • Offer a platform for pitching media contacts
  • Monitor social media
  • Respond to issues or suggestions as they arise
  • Clear, intuitive design
  • Building out their list of media contacts at smaller local news outlets
It's very well-suited if part of your job is booking reporters or analysts in other media. It makes less sense for arranging complicated media partnerships.
Read Andrew Bard Epstein's full review
January 16, 2018

Muck Rack is a valuable tool for any PR agency or department

We use Muck Rack to find contact information of journalists. We also use it to identify relevant journalists for specific media outreach campaigns. It saves time by providing the information easily, so that we don't have to spend hours searching to find contact details. It is also a well organized database that allows us to use specific key words to identify targets that are ideal for client announcements and more.
  • Muck Rack has contact information for a lot of journalists
  • It also is easy to use Muck Rack's search feature to find journalists using keywords
  • Muck Rack's main area of improvement needed is simply that it lacks contact information for a large chunk of journalists. Anyone from a lesser known publication is usually not included.
Great for building media lists - though I never use their list building features, just the information that I find. It's also great for identifying influencers in a certain space. I particularly like that while searching, I can see social media posts and coverage written by the targets that I'm finding.

About Muck Rack

Muck Rack is a public relations offering from Sawhorse Media.