MySQL is a popular open-source relational and embedded database, now owned by Oracle.https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/QY/QH/HFBO8T3NTXUM.PNGMySQL as a front-end developerWe use it from time-to-time, as the database solution for our smaller projects which requires a relational database. Usually used by the whole team, integrated into the production chain, and nearly everybody uses it for testing, smaller modifications in the data model, or when installing for a localized development environment.,Storing relational data. Quick management. Integration with different development tools, for instance with IntelliJ Idea.,I had some stability issues in the past. SQL requirement. Hard to find support for special cases.,9,We usually focus on other aspects, but as a database, I think it was a trustworthy solution business-vise.,Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups,,MongoDB, MariaDB, PostgreSQLMySQL is my SQLUsed as a Relational data store across the organization.,Quick processing. Proven reliability. Ease and flexibility of use.,Adding web hooks. Support for CHECK constraints. Hot Standby/Streaming Replication.,9,On-demand scalability for applications on the cloud provider has saved on operations. We've saved on license fees, lowering the total cost of ownership. Large community support.,No,,Oracle Java SE, PostgreSQL, Oracle Database 12cConvenient database for web developmentI am a Research Engineer in VizioChron, Inc. I have to use MySQL often. First, it is used by consumers that I work with. Second I have to do some experimental designs and implementations with the use of it. As it is open source it is easy to use it in common web projects e.g. LAMP.,Database works well with MyPHP There is design that uses the database with Wordpress It is easily integrated with web engines, e.g. Apache,Some migration SQL<>MySQL would be in demand Maybe some features that MongoDB has could enhance MySQL Maybe more GUI for simplicity of operations under a Linux environment,10,It saves resources if to use opensource MySQL comparing with use of e.g. MS SQL It allows us to improve ROI as it allows fast deployments and instant utilization MySQL defines the use of open source environment in most cases, and that is a cheaper solution in terms of implementation,Yes,MongoDB, Oracle NoSQL Database and PostgreSQL,Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google App EngineI like data.MySQL is mostly for vetting out developers to make sure they had enough knowledge to accomplish specific job duties. I created a bunch of tables and relationships, and populated a couple hundred rows of data across all of the tables. Then I gave developers a test asking them to send me back SQL scripts to perform various SQL, DDL, DML tasks and I would validate everything to make sure it worked as it ought to.,Easy to spin up a database instance. Fast.,Not great for dealing with large amounts of data. Limited capabilities for stored procedures.,10,It gets the job done, so it made our company some money for that project.,Yes,PostgreSQL,Oracle Java SEGood Tool for Data ManipulationIt's being used to store and retrieve customer data. We also use it to update information and the billing details of the customers. It's easy to use and we can manipulate the data to suite our needs.,Easy querying. Easy, spoken English like syntax. Intuitive.,Easier to improve how the results can be displayed.,8,I am not sure on that.,No,Oracle Java SEGreat for database managementI use MySQL for database management. I do school projects for web security classes with PHP. We use PHP for the backend and use MySQL for the database. This platform has good security features, and it was very easy to match with PHP and postscript databases.,Reliable Fast Can match with most of the framework,Hard to match with some frameworks,8,Overall, it's been all positive.,No,,PostgreSQL, RedisMySQL for the massesWe use it extensively and it has been great to us. It is simple and fast and a piece of the foundation to any service.,Simple to use. Speed Extendable.,Features for geocodes.,10,Familiarity to almost all engineers saves time.,Yes,PostgreSQL,Oracle Java SEStudent Review for ProductsI used it for database, and I used it with the NetSuite platform team in Oracle to work on my internship project.,Data relation. Data organization. Management of data.,UI/UX of the platform could be improved. Some better UI for new customers without technical skills.,5,Yes,Oracle Database, NetSuite and NetSuite SuiteBilling,PostgreSQL, Oracle GlassFish ServerMySQL is for all!We used MySQL at my previous job. We had a WhatsApp like application named Wirofon. We were using a MySQL database to store subscribers information and for call routing and call barring rules.,Easy to deploy Easy to manage Free,Scalability Reverse engineering tools,9,Free software - best for startups and students Needs scalability features,Yes,Devart ODBC Driver for Oracle,Oracle DatabaseEasy To Usewe used it for a database for our front end GUI system,It's very easy to use and operate.,Linking tables could be better.,9,It has helped a lot with our business objectives.,Nomysql reviewAs I know, we use it only in a department of our company. Most of the time we use this database as a development database. We store less complex data structures in it, small and few tables, as we know it's better to store small amount of data then other relation databases.,Data Security, MySQL is globally renowned for being the most secure and reliable database management system used in popular web applications like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Facebook and Twitter. The data security and support for transactional processing that accompany the recent version of MySQL, can greatly benefit any business especially if it is an eCommerce business that involves frequent money transfers. High Performance, Whether it is an eCommerce website that receives a million queries every single day or a high-speed transactional processing system, MySQL is designed to meet even the most demanding applications while ensuring optimum speed, full-text indexes and unique memory caches for enhanced performance. Complete Workflow Control, With the average download and installation time being less than 30 minutes, MySQL means usability from day one.,It’s Got A Few Stability Issues It Suffers From Relatively Poor Performance Scaling Its Functionality Tends To Be Heavily Dependant On Addons,9,Positive: It's easy to configure so your development is efficient and fast. Negative: not the best for large amount of data,No,MongoDB, Cassandra, MariaDB, Oracle Database and PostgreSQL,IntelliJ IDEA, Oracle Database 12c, Microsoft Visual Studio CodeI like MySqlIt was used across the whole organization internally. It was picked because of the easy integration, great support, and stability. For internal usage, they needed a cost-effective but trustworthy solution. Also from experience, the developers are familiar with MySql the most, they would able to use the juniors to work on the internal solutions first and learn the way.,Easy to get started. Lightweight, but scalable. Well known, well supported.,Owned by oracle. Limitations of fine-tuning. Lack of failover.,8,Cheap. Easy to learn. Easy to migrate to or from.,Yes,Oracle Database, PostgreSQL and Oracle NoSQL DatabaseMySQL for non-critical workload needsMySQL is used within the whole organization as one of the two primary RDMBS. It is the underlying RDBMS database for the internal and external company records, hosted on Oracle PaaS.,Best in breed in open-source RDBMS databases. Portability with our secondary database Oracle Database without much scheme changes. Scales well with IaaS.,Some restrictions on the table sizes and schemes (unlike IBM DB2, Oracle DB, etc). Issues with some of the SQL operations ( merge join, hash join, etc) that degrades the overall performance of the queries. Licensing from Oracle for MySQL use can be improved.,7,Positive ROI due to reducing licensing cost for use internally. Since it is well known, support from a third party is cheap and available when needed.,Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups,Microsoft SQL Server, Amazon Relational Database Service, Oracle Database and IBM Db2 on Cloud,Apache Kafka, Oracle Database, Google Cloud AISimple and Easy to Use Database!MySQL is being used by our core team to develop and test out our prototype applications. It is lightweight, easy to use, and offers plugins for almost all of the widely used programming languages. Thanks to MySQL, spinning up a database to back prototype applications is a quick process. The rest of my organization is using Oracle Database 12c.,It is designed for Web, Cloud and Big Data. It provides high availability, self-healing and data integrity, provisioning, monitoring and resource management, developer agility, and security. There is complete workflow control, allowing users to tweak all aspects of MySQL. There is a variety of user interfaces that can be implemented, lowering the burden on programmers.,Incremental backups take more time and hassle to configure compared to other databases. There is no built-in support for XML and OLAP which hurts business intelligence related analytics. MySQL has gotten farther away from the open-source mentality. MySQL has proprietary and closed-source modules.,7,MySQL is free, so that had huge positive impact on our ROI. There aren't any negative impacts MySQL has had in ROI.,No,Oracle Database 12c,Oracle Database 12cMySQL: The Simpler ChoiceI write custom web-based applications and MySQL is my go-to database solution. Typically, an organization has a need for an application which their core services do not provide or they need an application to integrate with services they already use. In either case, MySQL is a great product to use for storing data easily and efficiently, for free with the benefit of adding logic in the database layer so that it manages itself.,Window functions. MySQL 8, is owned by Oracle, has brought in all your classic hits for Window functions, I.E aggregate functions like sum and count over some partitions, dense_rank, lag, first_row, row_number. Now, much like Oracle 11g and above, MySQL can answer all your analytical needs for understanding your data quickly. 8 allows for JSON processing, both in and out of the database, which is extremely convenient for web applications which quite often need to call web-based REST services to retrieve such information. Gone are the days of constructing an additional Java layer for things like retrieving basic data in a GET request—MySQL provides. Event Scheduler: Write a stored procedure to monitor and modify your data. Then create an event so that it happens automatically. MySQL makes this very easy.,The language tends to be a bit verbose at times, especially when writing stored procedures. I shouldn't need keywords like delimiters to be able to compile a procedure. Error handling, it could be a bit simpler. You need to declare "handlers" at the moment, and in order to get the error message, it requires you to select it and know the index. MySQL is getting rid of inline variables while querying. Boo.,10,MySQL 8 Community Edition is free, no investment necessary. MySQL has enabled me to deliver in a timely fashion because it is easy to deploy, easy to learn, and easy to compile. MySQL will be familiar to anyone who knows any SQL for most basic things, so development resources needn't be dedicated to MySQL.,No,Oracle Database 12c,Oracle eBusiness Suite, Oracle Database 12c, Oracle Application ExpressGreat for beginners entering the database worldYes, it is being used by a department to retrieve information as per customer needs.,Excellent market penetration. Easy to get started. Open-source license for most users.,I have only two years experience so I have not found any improvement but everything so far I used was good to me.,7,Its helps us to generate data based on the condition provided by the customer and helps us to do analysis for the same.,No,CA Database Management for DB2 for z/OS,DB2Great choice for common data needsMySQL is used in the whole organization, for variety of engineering and business purposes. Examples of uses: DevOps pipelines dataSoftware artifact data and metadataTest resultsValidation resultsUsers and their associated dataExtracts from Big Data systemsMySQL is a data store many users are familiar with, and that makes for easy adoption. The infrastructure teams have experience in running it reliably.,Popular Improving capabilities over time Widespread knowledge,Reactive APIs NoSQL support Graph data models,8,Open source version is good, you can buy support where needed Cheap to start Available in the cloud,Yes,DB2,Oracle Java SEI love MySQLMySQL is one of the powerful database management in the world. that very easy to use and because it's an opensource project. That's make it very special, because lot of developer work on it and make it powerful each day. MSQL is really the best alternative for startup, because they do not have to much budget. That a great technology for free.,Opensource. Flexibility. Accessibility.,I have never used another database system in the past, so I cannot compare it with others. I have no improvements that I can give because MySQL is only the one I have ever used.,9,Flexibility - it's easy to use and the documentation is easy to find on the internet. There are many tutorials to help you improve. Accessibility - when you're doing a school project, it's better to use MySQL because other products are not free. When you have a student or a startup budget, it helps!,Not yet, but I'm interested in Oracle user groups,Slack,Oracle Java SE, SlackMySQL Rocks!MySQL is used as a data repository for all our online, batch, and reporting needs.,Easy to use. Lots of resources online. Technical support is very accessible and they respond quickly.,More SQL analytic functions. Fully support ANSI standard features.,9,Negative impact is that MySQL does not support Analytics. We have to transfer/replicate data to another DB to be able to do Analytics or use Analytics applications. The positive impact is that it's cheap/affordable.,Yes,,Attunity Managed File Transfer, Oracle Java SE,200,3,Application development. Application/client support.,None,10,No,Price Product Usability Product Reputation Prior Experience with the Product,We would do an in-depth technical review of several databases.,Implemented in-house Third-party professional services,YesGood data storage solution!MySQL is our main database solution for all types of projects. All departments are encouraged to use it for their data storage needs. We are storing massive amounts of data and MySQL enables us to do it efficiently and securely.,Very popular all over the world Allows to store different types of data API available for many languages,Hard to use advanced features Error messages could be simpler Slow in some cases,8,Open source makes it easy to start using it Easy to find developer experts knowing how to use it efficiently Affordable support,No,PostgreSQLMySQL - Possibly the only database you will ever needI primarily use MySQL for data storage for content-management systems for websites built in Drupal or WordPress. It provides a simple, easily-managed solution to the need for performant data storage and querying for site data, such as pages or posts. I also use it as the back-end data storage and querying solution for static front-end web applications built in Angular, React or Vue. It remains my go-to choice when I need an SQL database for my applications and/or CMS. My business is a small one so it is used only by myself, and therefore across my organization. I use the Community Server edition as it suits my needs without having to extend it to the Enterprise Server edition.,The Community Server edition remains a strong candidate for a SQL-based database solution that supports a wide array of data structures. It scales well for both small business and enterprise use. It performs very well provided your database schema is well-planned and carefully considered (which is the case for any database solution). It has a number of interface solutions including GUI-based ones such as phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench that allow for easy management of your databases.,Does not fully comply with SQL standards, most notably in regards to referencing foreign keys. A major bug remains in its implementation of timestamp methods that will result in a 0 being returned for dates falling after Jan 19, 2038. While possibly not a show-stopper for most use cases, there are applications where date ranges that far out will be required (such as loan management). Its open-source nature may not suit larger organization or high-performing systems well, which may benefit from the stronger support and scalability of premium products.,9,It has made site management through a CMS like WordPress or Drupal infinitely easier to manage. It is a critical part of the LAMP, WAMP and MAMP stack and has been a major driver of innovation in the content-management-system space, pushing site and web-application development toward greater democratization. It has proved to be very reliable and easy to set up and administer and saves me tremendous time troubleshooting query and performance issues.,No,MongoDB and Microsoft Access,WordPress, Cloudinary, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service)MySQL is a great free solution for web development or in house projectsWe implemented MySQL as part of a LAMP stack for a new website we launched which was an Education management system that we custom built to serve our needs. We had very specific needs for our new website to interface with software the company created years ago and so there was no prebuilt solution available to us and we had to build a custom solution. We researched what the best solution was going to be and all roads pointed us to build a website using MySQL as the backend database because of its versatility and customization capabilities.,MySQL is first off free to use, so that makes it a win right there. MySQL is constantly updated and security holes are patched quickly and often. MySQL is highly customizable and allows you access to all areas of the database to use it the way you want, plus there is lots of documentation online and other users sharing their customization experiences to help you along the way.,MySQL would be useful on Mac computers as well but i do not believe they have a Mac version available yet MySQL can be very overwhelming to get started with, so it would be good if they offered some kind of beginners tutorial for new users,10,Since MySQL is a free database package, if you have someone on staff that understands databases and how to use them, the ROI is very high when using MySQL. If you need to hire a MySQL developer to implement and manage your database then it can be quite costly to manage and that will negatively impact your ROI when using this product. Since there are some very expensive alternatives in the SQL database space, if you compare the overall costs of using MySQL to those other products, I think you will find your ROI is always better when using MySQL,Yes,Microsoft SQL Server,Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Dynamics NAVOne of the best open source solutions in the market of relational database managers.MySQL is the database manager used in the organization for the administration of all its databases. We use MySQL because of the need to implement an open source solution for the administration of the databases of the company, the receipt of client information and prompt and timely consultation of that info.,Precise queries without many ramifications or connections, queries that do not require a large amount of data processing Allows the hierarchy of database through different schemes or environments which allows having more data to be hosted with conditions and particularities relevant to each one. It provides an excellent option to preserve the protected information. It is reliable and offers a lot of security to its users.,Complex queries usually require many resources to obtain results. Other software does not present this situation. MySQL has stopped its evolutionary process since its change of ownership, so the changes it presents have become irrelevant to the operation of the service. Oracle has avoided releasing the code for the detection and correction of errors so the essence of open source has been disappearing,8,With a correct storage of the data and providing them at the time of making consultations generates an extremely positive impact on the line of business because of the speed that this merits in the handling of the information. It is a free code database manager so in its implementation the costs of the same in terms of licensing were non-existent so I represent a significant savings for the company. Regarding the negative aspect, we had to resort to other more powerful database managers to perform complex queries or to host databases that require different treatment.,No,PostgreSQL, MariaDB and Microsoft SQL Server,PostgreSQL, Sublime Text, Toad for OracleDatabase Management ToolWe used MySQL to store website data in database tables and to run queries to show and save data in the database. It is used by the whole organization where required to improve performance.,Consecutive Queries run simultaneously very fast. MySQL documentation is very easily searchable online and easy to understand. We can use it easily on the remote system as well.,It could improve its large database size. It could provide its role and commit functions, etc. There are a few stability issues.,8,It is free. It has been easily manageable remotely. Performance issues with the huge database.,No,Azure SQL Database,dbForge SQL CompleteMySQL is an RDBMS for all seasons and all reasonsMySQL is used for various data-backed applications. We use it across the organization for multiple projects, R&amp;D, and in production. The biggest problems it solves for us is its ease of use, no cost for the GA version, and its long feature list. The fact that it has no cost is a big boost for us. We can deploy it at will and on VMs over and over again. We can also port the data to production systems without any changes or hassles. MySQL is a big problem solver for us.,MySQL can take data from a lot of different sources and import it into a Relational table. MySQL is fast and uses very few resources on the host system. It is a robust RDBMS that has an almost unlimited number of applications. In case you need support, MySQL is owned by Oracle so you can get support for your production systems. MySQL has a huge user community behind it and a lot of questions and answers have been published about it.,MySQL is always improving through active development but needs to add on more enterprise features such as scalability tools and features. Some users report problems with stored procedures and triggers. Some users report that transactions aren't handled efficiently.,9,MySQL has had a very positive impact on our bottom line because of its low barrier to obtain and use and its no-cost status. MySQL ease of use makes it a great platform for those who need to implement an RDBMS without a long learning curve. MySQL uses standard SQL and has most of the enterprise functionality of competitor RDBMSs.,No,Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL and SQLite,Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, WordPress,Yes,10,No,I had just converted a system to MySQL from Oracle and the support staff was very cool about it and was very helpful. There weren't any problems with the conversion or data export/import. I had a coworker who kept botching the process but the MySQL staff was very forgiving and didn't judge. They helped me multiple times to get our production systems operational. I finally had the coworker get on the call with them and walk him through the fix so that I wouldn't have to do it again. ;-),Installation is very simple and there's a lot of documentation for first-timers. Getting data into MySQL is very easy and there are multiple methods of doing so. Querying and using SQL with MySQL is very easy. Almost every SQL command works. Building web applications with MySQL as a data source is very easy.,I prefer MySQL's native engine to that of InnoDB. I find InnoDB to be a little cumbersome. The initial setup on Linux can be a little tricky but just follow the documentation. I don't particularly care for MySQL on Windows. It just seems wrong and feels non-native.,9
MySQL

MySQL Reviews

MySQL

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019
Filter 758 vetted MySQL reviews and ratings

Balázs Kiss profile photo
  • Storing relational data.
  • Quick management.
  • Integration with different development tools, for instance with IntelliJ Idea.
  • I had some stability issues in the past.
  • SQL requirement.
  • Hard to find support for special cases.
When a classic, small relational database (I mean small as a small number of tables, not records necessary) needs easy to install database with easy to find tutorials, that's free, robust, and very well documented.
Read Balázs Kiss's full review
Govind Sankar profile photo
September 26, 2019

MySQL is my SQL

Used as a Relational data store across the organization.
  • Quick processing.
  • Proven reliability.
  • Ease and flexibility of use.
  • Adding web hooks.
  • Support for CHECK constraints.
  • Hot Standby/Streaming Replication.
MySQL is the first choice for those web-based projects which require a database merely for data transactions.
MySQL will start underperforming once it is stressed with heavy loads or complex queries.
Read Govind Sankar's full review
Andrei Volodin profile photo
  • Database works well with MyPHP
  • There is design that uses the database with Wordpress
  • It is easily integrated with web engines, e.g. Apache
  • Some migration SQL<>MySQL would be in demand
  • Maybe some features that MongoDB has could enhance MySQL
  • Maybe more GUI for simplicity of operations under a Linux environment
It is a well-suited solution for a web server and web hosting, in my opinion. Moreover, as it is easy to integrate it with web engines it is a good fit for websites that utilize registration feature and membership areas. MySQL has a robust support of command line commands execution and could be operated completely from the terminal.
Read Andrei Volodin's full review
Doug Ford profile photo

I like data.

• Easy to spin up a database instance.
  • Fast.
  • Not great for dealing with large amounts of data.
  • Limited capabilities for stored procedures.
MySQL is good for simple databases for small projects.
Read Doug Ford's full review
Siddhant Shah profile photo
  • Easy querying.
  • Easy, spoken English like syntax.
  • Intuitive.
  • Easier to improve how the results can be displayed.
MySQL is really well suited to store and retrieve data. It would be great for any organization looking to manage business data. We use it daily for the operations of our business.
Read Siddhant Shah's full review
Aung Phyo profile photo
  • Reliable
  • Fast
  • Can match with most of the framework
  • Hard to match with some frameworks
PHP with MySQL is absolutely perfect.
Read Aung Phyo's full review
Luka Pavlovic profile photo

MySQL for the masses

• Simple to use.
  • Speed
  • Extendable.
  • Features for geocodes.
Anytime I start up a new project, whether personal or professional, I need to start with organizing my data. It’s always MySQL paired with an ORM. It is my go-to and will continue to be moving forward.
Read Luka Pavlovic's full review
Dharti Madeka profile photo

Student Review for Products

• Data relation.
  • Data organization.
  • Management of data.
  • UI/UX of the platform could be improved.
  • Some better UI for new customers without technical skills.
It is well suited for student projects for data management, and working on big data-related stuff, which is really difficult to handle without a database.
Read Dharti Madeka's full review
Alper Ozdamar profile photo

MySQL is for all!

• Easy to deploy
  • Easy to manage
  • Free
  • Scalability
  • Reverse engineering tools
MySQL is well suited if you are working with user data. I used MySQL in many applications (i.e. on a VOIP backend side).
Read Alper Ozdamar's full review
October 11, 2019

mysql review

• Data Security, MySQL is globally renowned for being the most secure and reliable database management system used in popular web applications like WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Facebook and Twitter. The data security and support for transactional processing that accompany the recent version of MySQL, can greatly benefit any business especially if it is an eCommerce business that involves frequent money transfers.
  • High Performance, Whether it is an eCommerce website that receives a million queries every single day or a high-speed transactional processing system, MySQL is designed to meet even the most demanding applications while ensuring optimum speed, full-text indexes and unique memory caches for enhanced performance.
  • Complete Workflow Control, With the average download and installation time being less than 30 minutes, MySQL means usability from day one.
  • It’s Got A Few Stability Issues
  • It Suffers From Relatively Poor Performance Scaling
  • Its Functionality Tends To Be Heavily Dependant On Addons
As I said before we use it as a test database, with small amount of data. It has a nice performance with it, so i recommend it, however i if you should handle large amount of data you are probably find another database with better performance. So it's well suited in small apps. :)
October 08, 2019

I like MySql

• Easy to get started.
  • Lightweight, but scalable.
  • Well known, well supported.
  • Owned by oracle.
  • Limitations of fine-tuning.
  • Lack of failover.
For internal usage for medium-size companies, for startups, and for demo projects, it is more than well suited. However, as it is scalable to a point, it is no match after a point to Oracle DB or IBM/2 as they were created to provide huge performance and to support big company's needs.
  • Best in breed in open-source RDBMS databases.
  • Portability with our secondary database Oracle Database without much scheme changes.
  • Scales well with IaaS.
  • Some restrictions on the table sizes and schemes (unlike IBM DB2, Oracle DB, etc).
  • Issues with some of the SQL operations ( merge join, hash join, etc) that degrades the overall performance of the queries.
  • Licensing from Oracle for MySQL use can be improved.
MySQL is best suited for environments where the datasets are not large and there are no critical performance constraints. It is less appropriate for extremely large relational datasets and/or where performance guarantees are needed in the applications.
  • It is designed for Web, Cloud and Big Data. It provides high availability, self-healing and data integrity, provisioning, monitoring and resource management, developer agility, and security.
  • There is complete workflow control, allowing users to tweak all aspects of MySQL.
  • There is a variety of user interfaces that can be implemented, lowering the burden on programmers.
  • Incremental backups take more time and hassle to configure compared to other databases.
  • There is no built-in support for XML and OLAP which hurts business intelligence related analytics.
  • MySQL has gotten farther away from the open-source mentality. MySQL has proprietary and closed-source modules.
It is well-suited for prototyping applications and applications that are not Enterprise scale. Many big names such as Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Fedora, Slackware Linux, and openSUSE, have all switched from MySQL to MariaDB. Hence, for solutions that have longevity concerns in regards to the technologies it is using, MySQL may not be the best option out there.
September 16, 2019

MySQL: The Simpler Choice

• Window functions. MySQL 8, is owned by Oracle, has brought in all your classic hits for Window functions, I.E aggregate functions like sum and count over some partitions, dense_rank, lag, first_row, row_number. Now, much like Oracle 11g and above, MySQL can answer all your analytical needs for understanding your data quickly.
  • 8 allows for JSON processing, both in and out of the database, which is extremely convenient for web applications which quite often need to call web-based REST services to retrieve such information. Gone are the days of constructing an additional Java layer for things like retrieving basic data in a GET request—MySQL provides.
  • Event Scheduler: Write a stored procedure to monitor and modify your data. Then create an event so that it happens automatically. MySQL makes this very easy.
  • The language tends to be a bit verbose at times, especially when writing stored procedures. I shouldn't need keywords like delimiters to be able to compile a procedure.
  • Error handling, it could be a bit simpler. You need to declare "handlers" at the moment, and in order to get the error message, it requires you to select it and know the index.
  • MySQL is getting rid of inline variables while querying. Boo.
I would not recommend MySQL for financially intensive organizations or those which require a TON of logic to reside in the database. For this, I would recommend an Oracle 11g or above, simply for the ease of compiling procedures and readability of the code. But for simpler applications that are looking for cost-effective solutions to data-storage, MySQL is your obvious choice.
  • Excellent market penetration.
  • Easy to get started.
  • Open-source license for most users.
  • I have only two years experience so I have not found any improvement but everything so far I used was good to me.
As per my experience, MySQL is best to use as an inventory management system, where based on different conditions, users need to retrieve data for analysis. Also, it is easy to learn so, a user can quickly become comfortable with it.
  • DevOps pipelines data
  • Software artifact data and metadata
  • Test results
  • Validation results
  • Users and their associated data
  • Extracts from Big Data systems
  • Popular
  • Improving capabilities over time
  • Widespread knowledge
  • Reactive APIs
  • NoSQL support
  • Graph data models
  • Conventional relational data model
  • Small and medium data sets work well
  • For large data sets consider enhancements like Vitesse
  • The new JSON document support is an excellent addition. This enables us to eliminate some NoSQL document stores (for example, MongoDB or CouchDB, Couchbase) and instead use only one database for various uses.
  • The development and support team are familiar with RDBMS.

I love MySQL

• Opensource.
  • Flexibility.
  • Accessibility.
  • I have never used another database system in the past, so I cannot compare it with others.
  • I have no improvements that I can give because MySQL is only the one I have ever used.
MySQL is very powerful web application because it is very easy to use. Also, we can use the mobile app. I always use MySQL on both the mobile and the web application. It is very easy to host an application using MySQL because it is the most used database system in the world.

MySQL Rocks!

• Easy to use.
  • Lots of resources online.
  • Technical support is very accessible and they respond quickly.
  • More SQL analytic functions.
  • Fully support ANSI standard features.
It is well suited for capturing, storing, and retrieving data. It is less appropriate for applications heavy on OLTP and OLAP transactions.
September 18, 2019

Good data storage solution!

• Very popular all over the world
  • Allows to store different types of data
  • API available for many languages
  • Hard to use advanced features
  • Error messages could be simpler
  • Slow in some cases
Good for web shops, CRUD applications. In case of cloud based solutions it is better and definitely easier to stick with cloud provider database solution. Good support from Oracle allows to use it for multiple type of receivers.
Joel Tanzi profile photo
  • The Community Server edition remains a strong candidate for a SQL-based database solution that supports a wide array of data structures.
  • It scales well for both small business and enterprise use.
  • It performs very well provided your database schema is well-planned and carefully considered (which is the case for any database solution).
  • It has a number of interface solutions including GUI-based ones such as phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench that allow for easy management of your databases.
  • Does not fully comply with SQL standards, most notably in regards to referencing foreign keys.
  • A major bug remains in its implementation of timestamp methods that will result in a 0 being returned for dates falling after Jan 19, 2038. While possibly not a show-stopper for most use cases, there are applications where date ranges that far out will be required (such as loan management).
  • Its open-source nature may not suit larger organization or high-performing systems well, which may benefit from the stronger support and scalability of premium products.
It is extremely well-suited for use cases across a broad range of applications such as e-commerce and business applications, and most small to larger organizations will find it well-suited for their data storage needs for a particular application. However, it is not designed for data warehousing and would not do well for analytics data for which a No-SQL option would serve better, and it is not ideal for geographical data management.
Read Joel Tanzi's full review
Andrew Shannon profile photo
  • MySQL is first off free to use, so that makes it a win right there.
  • MySQL is constantly updated and security holes are patched quickly and often.
  • MySQL is highly customizable and allows you access to all areas of the database to use it the way you want, plus there is lots of documentation online and other users sharing their customization experiences to help you along the way.
  • MySQL would be useful on Mac computers as well but i do not believe they have a Mac version available yet
  • MySQL can be very overwhelming to get started with, so it would be good if they offered some kind of beginners tutorial for new users
MySQL is great for Linux and windows projects when you need a really versatile database that has lots of users behind it and supporting it. MySQL is not great for Mac users, which can be a lot of App developers and graphic designers in the world. You can interface Mac's with the Linux web server pretty easily though, so its not the end of the world if you are a Mac developer.
Read Andrew Shannon's full review
Carlos Alberto Pedron Espinett profile photo
  • Precise queries without many ramifications or connections, queries that do not require a large amount of data processing
  • Allows the hierarchy of database through different schemes or environments which allows having more data to be hosted with conditions and particularities relevant to each one.
  • It provides an excellent option to preserve the protected information. It is reliable and offers a lot of security to its users.
  • Complex queries usually require many resources to obtain results. Other software does not present this situation.
  • MySQL has stopped its evolutionary process since its change of ownership, so the changes it presents have become irrelevant to the operation of the service.
  • Oracle has avoided releasing the code for the detection and correction of errors so the essence of open source has been disappearing
MySQL is appropriate in infrastructures that do not require so many relational queries between its databases. It is oriented to the web environment, to the big data environment where the objective should be mainly the storage of information. On the other hand, in projects that are going to require continuous relational queries and that also require transitions of important information or data, MySQL will not provide the necessary response.
Read Carlos Alberto Pedron Espinett's full review
Rohin Sharma profile photo
  • Consecutive Queries run simultaneously very fast.
  • MySQL documentation is very easily searchable online and easy to understand.
  • We can use it easily on the remote system as well.
  • It could improve its large database size.
  • It could provide its role and commit functions, etc.
  • There are a few stability issues.
1. Its implementation of an SQL database is very well suited for small to medium web pages. 2. The database is free and open source, with a commercial license available. 3. It must be easily manageable with a huge database.
Read Rohin Sharma's full review
Kenneth Hess profile photo
MySQL is used for various data-backed applications. We use it across the organization for multiple projects, R&D, and in production. The biggest problems it solves for us is its ease of use, no cost for the GA version, and its long feature list. The fact that it has no cost is a big boost for us. We can deploy it at will and on VMs over and over again. We can also port the data to production systems without any changes or hassles. MySQL is a big problem solver for us.
  • MySQL can take data from a lot of different sources and import it into a Relational table.
  • MySQL is fast and uses very few resources on the host system.
  • It is a robust RDBMS that has an almost unlimited number of applications.
  • In case you need support, MySQL is owned by Oracle so you can get support for your production systems.
  • MySQL has a huge user community behind it and a lot of questions and answers have been published about it.
  • MySQL is always improving through active development but needs to add on more enterprise features such as scalability tools and features.
  • Some users report problems with stored procedures and triggers.
  • Some users report that transactions aren't handled efficiently.
MySQL is very well-suited to read-intensive database applications. It is very fast. It is also a great enterprise database for new DBAs because it is easy to obtain and installs on a variety of systems and platforms. Although I have not directly experienced problems, MySQL developers report that transactions aren't handled efficiently and that its trigger functionality is lacking sophistication. The biggest problem I've seen with it is how difficult it is to maintain stored procedures. That is a very common complaint and not isolated to my applications.
Read Kenneth Hess's full review