MySQL is a popular open-source relational and embedded database, now owned by Oracle.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/L3/J9/LB7FNG80WF07.pngMySQL - Possibly the only database you will ever needI primarily use MySQL for data storage for content-management systems for websites built in Drupal or WordPress. It provides a simple, easily-managed solution to the need for performant data storage and querying for site data, such as pages or posts. I also use it as the back-end data storage and querying solution for static front-end web applications built in Angular, React or Vue. It remains my go-to choice when I need an SQL database for my applications and/or CMS. My business is a small one so it is used only by myself, and therefore across my organization. I use the Community Server edition as it suits my needs without having to extend it to the Enterprise Server edition.,The Community Server edition remains a strong candidate for a SQL-based database solution that supports a wide array of data structures. It scales well for both small business and enterprise use. It performs very well provided your database schema is well-planned and carefully considered (which is the case for any database solution). It has a number of interface solutions including GUI-based ones such as phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench that allow for easy management of your databases.,Does not fully comply with SQL standards, most notably in regards to referencing foreign keys. A major bug remains in its implementation of timestamp methods that will result in a 0 being returned for dates falling after Jan 19, 2038. While possibly not a show-stopper for most use cases, there are applications where date ranges that far out will be required (such as loan management). Its open-source nature may not suit larger organization or high-performing systems well, which may benefit from the stronger support and scalability of premium products.,9,It has made site management through a CMS like WordPress or Drupal infinitely easier to manage. It is a critical part of the LAMP, WAMP and MAMP stack and has been a major driver of innovation in the content-management-system space, pushing site and web-application development toward greater democratization. It has proved to be very reliable and easy to set up and administer and saves me tremendous time troubleshooting query and performance issues.,Not a member of any user groups,MongoDB and Microsoft Access,WordPress, Cloudinary, Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service)MySQL is a great free solution for web development or in house projectsWe implemented MySQL as part of a LAMP stack for a new website we launched which was an Education management system that we custom built to serve our needs. We had very specific needs for our new website to interface with software the company created years ago and so there was no prebuilt solution available to us and we had to build a custom solution. We researched what the best solution was going to be and all roads pointed us to build a website using MySQL as the backend database because of its versatility and customization capabilities.,MySQL is first off free to use, so that makes it a win right there. MySQL is constantly updated and security holes are patched quickly and often. MySQL is highly customizable and allows you access to all areas of the database to use it the way you want, plus there is lots of documentation online and other users sharing their customization experiences to help you along the way.,MySQL would be useful on Mac computers as well but i do not believe they have a Mac version available yet MySQL can be very overwhelming to get started with, so it would be good if they offered some kind of beginners tutorial for new users,10,Since MySQL is a free database package, if you have someone on staff that understands databases and how to use them, the ROI is very high when using MySQL. If you need to hire a MySQL developer to implement and manage your database then it can be quite costly to manage and that will negatively impact your ROI when using this product. Since there are some very expensive alternatives in the SQL database space, if you compare the overall costs of using MySQL to those other products, I think you will find your ROI is always better when using MySQL,New Jersey Oracle Applications Users Group,Microsoft SQL Server,Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Dynamics NAVOne of the best open source solutions in the market of relational database managers.MySQL is the database manager used in the organization for the administration of all its databases. We use MySQL because of the need to implement an open source solution for the administration of the databases of the company, the receipt of client information and prompt and timely consultation of that info.,Precise queries without many ramifications or connections, queries that do not require a large amount of data processing Allows the hierarchy of database through different schemes or environments which allows having more data to be hosted with conditions and particularities relevant to each one. It provides an excellent option to preserve the protected information. It is reliable and offers a lot of security to its users.,Complex queries usually require many resources to obtain results. Other software does not present this situation. MySQL has stopped its evolutionary process since its change of ownership, so the changes it presents have become irrelevant to the operation of the service. Oracle has avoided releasing the code for the detection and correction of errors so the essence of open source has been disappearing,8,With a correct storage of the data and providing them at the time of making consultations generates an extremely positive impact on the line of business because of the speed that this merits in the handling of the information. It is a free code database manager so in its implementation the costs of the same in terms of licensing were non-existent so I represent a significant savings for the company. Regarding the negative aspect, we had to resort to other more powerful database managers to perform complex queries or to host databases that require different treatment.,Not a member of any user groups,PostgreSQL, MariaDB and Microsoft SQL Server,PostgreSQL, Sublime Text, Toad for OracleMySQL is an RDBMS for all seasons and all reasonsMySQL is used for various data-backed applications. We use it across the organization for multiple projects, R&D, and in production. The biggest problems it solves for us is its ease of use, no cost for the GA version, and its long feature list. The fact that it has no cost is a big boost for us. We can deploy it at will and on VMs over and over again. We can also port the data to production systems without any changes or hassles. MySQL is a big problem solver for us.,MySQL can take data from a lot of different sources and import it into a Relational table. MySQL is fast and uses very few resources on the host system. It is a robust RDBMS that has an almost unlimited number of applications. In case you need support, MySQL is owned by Oracle so you can get support for your production systems. MySQL has a huge user community behind it and a lot of questions and answers have been published about it.,MySQL is always improving through active development but needs to add on more enterprise features such as scalability tools and features. Some users report problems with stored procedures and triggers. Some users report that transactions aren't handled efficiently.,9,MySQL has had a very positive impact on our bottom line because of its low barrier to obtain and use and its no-cost status. MySQL ease of use makes it a great platform for those who need to implement an RDBMS without a long learning curve. MySQL uses standard SQL and has most of the enterprise functionality of competitor RDBMSs.,Not a member of any user groups,Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL and SQLite,Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, WordPress,Yes,10,No,I had just converted a system to MySQL from Oracle and the support staff was very cool about it and was very helpful. There weren't any problems with the conversion or data export/import. I had a coworker who kept botching the process but the MySQL staff was very forgiving and didn't judge. They helped me multiple times to get our production systems operational. I finally had the coworker get on the call with them and walk him through the fix so that I wouldn't have to do it again. ;-),Installation is very simple and there's a lot of documentation for first-timers. Getting data into MySQL is very easy and there are multiple methods of doing so. Querying and using SQL with MySQL is very easy. Almost every SQL command works. Building web applications with MySQL as a data source is very easy.,I prefer MySQL's native engine to that of InnoDB. I find InnoDB to be a little cumbersome. The initial setup on Linux can be a little tricky but just follow the documentation. I don't particularly care for MySQL on Windows. It just seems wrong and feels non-native.,9MySQL ReviewWe use MySQL at my organization to store the data, analyze and find insights. It helps make business easier by letting you store huge amounts of data, with easy quarrying and accessing, compatibility and analytics tools.,Free to use. It is always up-to-date with security and new features. Loads of resources online to learn & get instant support.,Slow at times for no specific reason. Storage limitations, hence companies are moving towards big data I am a Mac user, and currently I am not aware if it is available on Mac.,8,It helped my company with building a new software relying on MySQL- free version. It is always up-to-date with security and new features, hence it is reliable.,Not a member of any user groups,PostgreSQL,PostgreSQL
MySQL

MySQL Reviews

MySQL
Top Rated Award
Filter 651 vetted MySQL reviews and ratings

Joel Tanzi profile photo
December 28, 2018

Review: "MySQL - Possibly the only database you will ever need"

• The Community Server edition remains a strong candidate for a SQL-based database solution that supports a wide array of data structures.
  • It scales well for both small business and enterprise use.
  • It performs very well provided your database schema is well-planned and carefully considered (which is the case for any database solution).
  • It has a number of interface solutions including GUI-based ones such as phpMyAdmin and MySQL Workbench that allow for easy management of your databases.
  • Does not fully comply with SQL standards, most notably in regards to referencing foreign keys.
  • A major bug remains in its implementation of timestamp methods that will result in a 0 being returned for dates falling after Jan 19, 2038. While possibly not a show-stopper for most use cases, there are applications where date ranges that far out will be required (such as loan management).
  • Its open-source nature may not suit larger organization or high-performing systems well, which may benefit from the stronger support and scalability of premium products.
It is extremely well-suited for use cases across a broad range of applications such as e-commerce and business applications, and most small to larger organizations will find it well-suited for their data storage needs for a particular application. However, it is not designed for data warehousing and would not do well for analytics data for which a No-SQL option would serve better, and it is not ideal for geographical data management.
Read Joel Tanzi's full review
Andrew Shannon profile photo
December 21, 2018

Review: "MySQL is a great free solution for web development or in house projects"

• MySQL is first off free to use, so that makes it a win right there.
  • MySQL is constantly updated and security holes are patched quickly and often.
  • MySQL is highly customizable and allows you access to all areas of the database to use it the way you want, plus there is lots of documentation online and other users sharing their customization experiences to help you along the way.
  • MySQL would be useful on Mac computers as well but i do not believe they have a Mac version available yet
  • MySQL can be very overwhelming to get started with, so it would be good if they offered some kind of beginners tutorial for new users
MySQL is great for Linux and windows projects when you need a really versatile database that has lots of users behind it and supporting it. MySQL is not great for Mac users, which can be a lot of App developers and graphic designers in the world. You can interface Mac's with the Linux web server pretty easily though, so its not the end of the world if you are a Mac developer.
Read Andrew Shannon's full review
Carlos Alberto Pedron Espinett profile photo
December 19, 2018

MySQL Review: "One of the best open source solutions in the market of relational database managers."

• Precise queries without many ramifications or connections, queries that do not require a large amount of data processing
  • Allows the hierarchy of database through different schemes or environments which allows having more data to be hosted with conditions and particularities relevant to each one.
  • It provides an excellent option to preserve the protected information. It is reliable and offers a lot of security to its users.
  • Complex queries usually require many resources to obtain results. Other software does not present this situation.
  • MySQL has stopped its evolutionary process since its change of ownership, so the changes it presents have become irrelevant to the operation of the service.
  • Oracle has avoided releasing the code for the detection and correction of errors so the essence of open source has been disappearing
MySQL is appropriate in infrastructures that do not require so many relational queries between its databases. It is oriented to the web environment, to the big data environment where the objective should be mainly the storage of information. On the other hand, in projects that are going to require continuous relational queries and that also require transitions of important information or data, MySQL will not provide the necessary response.
Read Carlos Alberto Pedron Espinett's full review
Kenneth Hess profile photo
November 13, 2018

Review: "MySQL is an RDBMS for all seasons and all reasons"

• MySQL can take data from a lot of different sources and import it into a Relational table.
  • MySQL is fast and uses very few resources on the host system.
  • It is a robust RDBMS that has an almost unlimited number of applications.
  • In case you need support, MySQL is owned by Oracle so you can get support for your production systems.
  • MySQL has a huge user community behind it and a lot of questions and answers have been published about it.
  • MySQL is always improving through active development but needs to add on more enterprise features such as scalability tools and features.
  • Some users report problems with stored procedures and triggers.
  • Some users report that transactions aren't handled efficiently.
MySQL is very well-suited to read-intensive database applications. It is very fast. It is also a great enterprise database for new DBAs because it is easy to obtain and installs on a variety of systems and platforms. Although I have not directly experienced problems, MySQL developers report that transactions aren't handled efficiently and that its trigger functionality is lacking sophistication. The biggest problem I've seen with it is how difficult it is to maintain stored procedures. That is a very common complaint and not isolated to my applications.
Read Kenneth Hess's full review
Kartik Chavan profile photo
January 09, 2019

"MySQL Review"

• Free to use.
  • It is always up-to-date with security and new features.
  • Loads of resources online to learn & get instant support.
  • Slow at times for no specific reason.
  • Storage limitations, hence companies are moving towards big data
  • I am a Mac user, and currently I am not aware if it is available on Mac.
This would be a great fit for startups since it is free to use and very easy to use. It changes the way you do business by allowing you to store the data online and letting you access it from anywhere. I have used the free version at a medium scaled company.
Read Kartik Chavan's full review
Vishal Arora profile photo
December 28, 2018

MySQL Review: "Best open source relational database I have ever used"

MySQL proved to be an extremely useful tool for my company. We have a specific department where we use MySQL. Our company was looking for a good relational database management system that would meet the needs of the company and that's how MySQL helps us to maintain the 1500+ Store database handle in the SQL database. It should be low cost in the initial stage so not to incur so much cost compared to other solutions.
  • MySQL software is Open Source.
  • Low cost in requirements for the elaboration of databases, since due to its low consumption can be executed in a machine with scarce resources without any problem.
  • Easily understood documentation and great for having everything arranged in one place.
  • Lots of the UI is very basic and limited.
  • It lacks some formats.
  • It can be quite slow at times if it's processing large amounts of data.
MySQL is well suited for small to small/medium companies. I really like how user-friendly everything is and how responsive customer service is when you have a question.
Read Vishal Arora's full review
Michael Timms profile photo
December 27, 2018

MySQL Review: "Outstanding Database Tool"

The team that I supervise is used as sort of a "whatever is needed" type team, we have the label of desktop support, but our duties extend to much more than that. Some of us were web developers in the past and when building and managing a website MySQL is almost always the first database management tool that anyone uses. Hostgator was the first website host that I worked with and itw has MySQL and PHPmyAdmin support built in and that was my first experience with database management. Since I had zero experience up until that point, I could not have done my job without it. Now since I am not a database administrator by trade, every time that I needed to work on a database after this I would habitually grab MySQL. I have only used SQLLite so I do not have much else to compare it to, but I will say this: MySQL has never failed me when I have needed to do database work. I usually have to Google the functions that I need, and I almost always have to re-learn the language, but the tool works and it is free.
  • The free version does every thing that I have ever needed it to do when working on a database. Some of our developers have the enterprise version, and swear that it is great but I cannot attest to that.
  • MySQL is cross-platform. I have only used it with Windows and Linux, but there is MAC and BSD support as well.
  • MySQL is very fast and can handle thousands of database records with ease.
  • Search function on the MySQL website it horrible. Spiceworks and StackExchange have far better results.
  • Documentation is in no discernible order, and there is plenty of documentation on the website but because of the poor cataloging I have never been able to find what I need quickly.
  • Takes a good amount of time to learn, I have been playing with it on and off for almost 10 years and I still am nowhere close to an expert.
For what I usually need which is to quickly manipulate a database and then more than likely never touch it again, the free version is perfect. I have never used the enterprise version, so I can not speak to its functionality, but I work with other users that have used the paid version, and they tell me that they prefer it over others they have used.
Read Michael Timms's full review
Carlos Eduardo de Souza profile photo
December 21, 2018

MySQL Review: "Easy to use and widely spread"

As a Wordpress user and developer, I've been using MySQL on almost all of our projects for years, it's very common and hosting solutions with MySQL are usually cheap, so it's a no-brainer to use it. Also, there's a ton of applications that make it very easy to interact and manage MySQL databases, so you don't have to be an expert at all.
  • It's very cheap to find hosting solutions with it
  • WordPress and many other CMSs rely on it
  • There are a lot of GUI applications that make it much easier to work with MySQL
  • It's rather easy to understand how it works
  • Big projects can't rely on MySQL since it's performance is not that good
  • Security is one of the major concerns
  • We've had some stability issues with some projects with a lot of users
It's perfect for small to medium projects since it's a cheap solution (shared hosting) and works with a lot of tools like WordPress, Drupal, etc. On the other hand, bigger projects with a lot of content and users at the same time, which needs more performance and reliability, it could be very unstable. For that, there are better choices.
Read Carlos Eduardo de Souza's full review
Tony Maskevich profile photo
December 19, 2018

User Review: "MySQL a Viable Option"

MySQL is currently being across our enterprise for all areas of our business. We use it for both transactional and warehouse applications. It offers a low cost alternative to the expensive established vendors who charge very high licensing fees. We use it in stand alone as well as high availability models. It is a key piece of our strategic direction.
  • It is very easy to set up and manage
  • It is very low cost
  • An established DBA can pick it up very easily
  • Good community
  • Concurrency on very large applications
  • Having a vendor to support can be expensive
  • Not shared disk for HA makes it more expensive and complex
Smaller applications that need to be flexible and change quite often find it beneficial at our company. It is perfect for instances where you need to spin up a database quickly. It is less appropriate for very large high compute workloads. The database does not scale beyond 10TB in most cases.
Read Tony Maskevich's full review
Ben Williams profile photo
December 19, 2018

MySQL Review: "A scalable and effecient database tool"

MySQL is currently being used to compile and back up data being generated by our OCR software. It is specifically used within our team for this purpose and means we have a stable, scalable and structured environment for the data.
  • A strong and scalable environment. This is key for our use case as each application requires it's own database and a set of tables that are unique to the application. As we have 5 applications in 7 months, we need to easily scale up the project which MySQL is great for.
  • A good community of users readily available online. We are able to look up any issues we may have quite quickly.
  • It employs a simple coding language that is almost conversational in some instances and this allows for any new developer to pick up the tool with ease. Whilst it's simple, the language allows you to do in depth queries with ease.
  • Easier walkthroughs for the reporting tools. We've had some difficulty building up reports from the databases, in order to regularly feedback to the business and there has been little assistance available.
  • Setting up a new database can be cumbersome at times, particularly when we want very similar standard tables in each instance, and creating these from scratch has slowed down work a little.
  • The ability to save a project in its entirety. We run individual queries across a range of different databases and we have had difficulty grouping these together as a single reusable project in order for us to implement in each new application.
It is well suited to being a primary database for software that requires a constant link and access. If you require large amounts of data, then MySQL is for you.
Read Ben Williams's full review
Devin Rodriguez profile photo
December 19, 2018

Review: "MySQL provides a fast and free database to get you started"

MySQL is being used as the underlying database for all our applications and sites. There are multiple deployments across hundreds of environments and are managed and supported by a small team. The primary problem it addresses is cost, as it can be used free of cost, though there are some drawbacks to using a free system.
  • MySQL is installed and deployed easily across just about any operating system, allowing for great flexibility in choice of platform
  • MySQL is open-source allowing for constant improvement by the community and by individuals looking to adjust how the system works
  • MySQL is easy to understand and includes multiple functions and keywords not found in enterprise databases
  • MySQL Stored Procedures are lacking in comparison to MSSQL Stored Procedures
  • Support for free MySQL is reliant on the community to provide answers and support
MySQL is great for getting an application up and running quickly at no cost. Applications at-scale may find MySQL lacking, however, as millions of rows will degrade performance, so migrating to another system such as MSSQL before getting too large is recommended. Stored procedures are also a pain point as implementing them is not flexible.
Read Devin Rodriguez's full review
Gabriel Samaroo profile photo
December 19, 2018

Review: "MySQL Stable and Performant Open-Source Relational DB - Perfect For Early Stage Companies"

We use MySQL as our primary relational database that powers all of our applications. As a company that needs to store and process large amounts of data, having a reliable database technology to build our data warehouse on top of is very important. The entire engineering team at my company uses MySQL when building applications, as well as to report on data necessary to drive the business.
  • Open-Source. Free! So you can have as many instances of MySQL setup as possible
  • Large community. MySQL has been around for a very long time, so there's tons of documentation and forums on how to do things and how to fix specific questions.
  • Many integrations. Because MySQL is so popular, there are integrations everywhere. For instance I was working with Columnar databases (Redshift, Infobright) and the supported backend engines were MySQL (not MSSQL, Oracle, Postgres, etc.)
  • Slow releases. It generally takes several years for new releases to come out, which means less new features.
  • Inferior IDE's. Toad, MySQL Workbench, etc. are okay, but some of the IDE's for other SQL Languages (ie: Microsoft SQL Management Studio) have more built in functionalities and are much easier to use
  • Harder to scale than older database technologies. It requires some serious engineering effort to scale, whereas this is much easier in a NoSQL database like MongoDB and in some other DB types like Postgres.
If you need a reliable, performant database that can be setup extremely quickly and won't need to service applications for HUGE amounts of data, MySQL is perfect. It's free and open-source, and there are many tutorials online to setup in minutes. Most people who have worked with databases are familiar with MySQL, and probably have spent time using it since it is so popular.
Read Gabriel Samaroo's full review
Jeff Peterson profile photo
December 19, 2018

Review: "MySQL is an old trusted friend that is always there for you"

We currently use MySQL as the primary database for our business application, our internal projects, and sales and marketing tools.

It is used to house user data, subscription data, sales leads, and usage information from across our organization.
  • We use PHP for our applications and the integration between MySQL and PHP is seamless.
  • MySQL has a lot of great documentation to help solve easy and more challenging problems.
  • The open source community developing and maintaining MySQL does an awesome job.
  • As more and more things move to big data / noSQL, it would be nice to see more of the functionality from those solutions find a place within MySQL
  • It may considered antiquated because of some of the other big data / no sql solutions that are available.
Most of our use cases are for fairly small data sets that don't change a lot. MySQL really shines for us in these scenarios. But we have also used it to handle large data sets that are growing each day. When data sets get large there are many things you can do to handle them in MySQL but it isn't necessarily purpose built for those types of implementations - but it can work.
Read Jeff Peterson's full review
Sudha Govindaraju profile photo
October 24, 2018

User Review: "Want to know why MySQL?"

MySQL was used by the IT department at the place I worked before. We used it mainly to add, access or manage any data in our student database. I worked at a center where students would come in and take their tests online. Whenever there were any issues with a student's test, it was always easy for us to use MySQL to retrieve his data from the database and resolve the issue.
  • Quick processing. MySQL always ensure optimum speeds, and unique memory caches for enhanced performance.
  • Reliability. It has features like consistent, isolated, durable transaction support. It also guarantees instant deadlock identification.
  • Flexibility of use. It makes maintenance, debugging and updates fast and easy while also enhancing user experience.
  • Does not really support larger databases as efficiently as smaller ones. When the data grows, only the simple and indexed query gets good performance, however, a complex query gets comparatively slow, even sometimes unable to fulfill the request.
  • A few stability issues. There have been some cases when MySQL works perfectly fine for 1-2 weeks and then it just suddenly crashes.
  • Poor performance scaling. SQL does not support auto sharding, so you may need to maintain your nodes manually.
It offers significant cost savings compared to other database management systems, as it is open sourced. MySQL is known to be the most secure database management system used in applications like Wordpress, Drupal, etc.

MySQL is not very efficient when it comes to using it for a larger database, as the request may be terribly slow or sometimes incomplete. Also its functionality seems to be dependent on add-ons a lot.
Read Sudha Govindaraju's full review
Eliz Marvic Melicio Carvajal profile photo
January 15, 2019

User Review: "Working with MySQL"

I currently use it to manage databases of several internal web development applications of the company's personal and computer department. It is a versatile database manager. It is easy to use and install. And, because it is relational, it is very easy to locate information, export data, and make changes, among others. It does not require much induction for certain users to use it for some activities.
  • The main advantage is that it is an open source app, so you have the free version, and if you want the paid version, the cost is very competitive.
  • It does not require a team or many resources to be installed and used.
  • It is a good application to access databases on the internet because it connects quickly, it is very fast and safe.
  • I do not recommend it if you require a more robust database or for applications used by the organization with a high volume of information since it is not efficient.
  • Many of the utilities are not documented to improve the performance or user experience.
It is not appropriate to use MySQL in those cases where you have robust applications that are used throughout the organization and that handle a very high volume of information. But if you have small web applications, few tables, and a low data volume, it will work perfectly. It is very fast.
Read Eliz Marvic Melicio Carvajal's full review
benjamin nzoka profile photo
August 08, 2018

MySQL Review: "Great simplicity"

MySQL is a great database that is used to store data from the users of our applications. It is very reliable and fast, and does not have any downtime. The software engineering department recommends to use MySQL as it is simple to implement and get started.
  • It is open source and easily available
  • MySQL went from 4 CPU threads to 64 CPU threads, which doubled the number of concurrent connections
  • The simplicity in use and startup is great.
  • MySQL 5.6, split one of the crucial locks in the MySQL Server, the LOCK_open, which improved the top performance.
  • Big users for example Linux are moving to MariaDB which does not look good on MySQL
  • There are no patches being released or public roadmaps provided for it.
  • You may spend a lot of time and effort to get MySQL to do things that other systems do automatically, like create incremental backups.
The new MySQL is great for areas where one requires concurrent database connections from users. It is fast and easy to manipulate.
MySQL cannot be used to store data inside applications that are run on android mobile. Instead they have to use TinyDB or any other alternative in order to not lag the application.
Read benjamin nzoka's full review
Priti Asai / Thakkar profile photo
October 26, 2018

User Review: "MySQL is MySQL, none of your SQL"

We have an internal portal to store the monitoring of live systems. Data from those tools are stored in MySQL and then projected over our internal monitoring dashboard.
  • Ease of language
  • Dynamic in terms of different data types
  • Efficient for pulling large data
  • Integration with other tools is easy
  • Easy to write queries
  • Integration is easy with other systems
  • It’s highly scalable
Easy to integrate the data for monitoring real user interaction, pulling from other log monitoring tools and saving to MySQL is easy and efficient. Storing and rendering geographic information is not as easy as should have been.
Read Priti Asai / Thakkar's full review
Sunil Agarwal profile photo
October 26, 2018

User Review: "MySQL is my dream"

MySQL is being used as an automation tool to store health metrics data for various systems. It’s being used by a department and we use it to show the health metrics data.
  • This is a very good relational database and very fast database.
  • Easy to maintain
  • Very easy to learn and develop use cases using this.
  • Very good for storing metrics data.
  • It can be improved to store time series data
  • Joins are very heavy and not easy to troubleshoot
  • Should have catching concepts
It’s well suited for storing catalog data and less suited to store time series data.
Read Sunil Agarwal's full review
Tuan Anh Nguyen profile photo
October 24, 2018

MySQL Review: "software engineer"

My group is the performance engineering group for Data Domain. In particular, we provide the infrastructure for other teams to do the performance analysis. We have thousands of machines in our infrastructure on different cloud vendors. When they run the performance, we collect the logs, and write the performance data to MySQL. Then the analysts will query and look at the performance data.

SQL queries are formulated to perform a wide range of tasks, including maintaining and analyzing structured data. Though the use of MySQL could vary from one person to other, as well as business requirements, some of the common applications include:
  • Defines database user privileges
  • Add, edit or delete data records
  • Connecting or joining data records that comes from multiple tables
  • Editing or creating the data dictionary of definitions
  • Locking or manipulating data tables

This standard tool helps users to manage a variety of functionalities, such as record management, quality control and data analysis. With MySQL, you can easily complete all communications with or within the databases.
  • MySQL has the structured data that is organized into a table that is easy to manage
  • Everyone is familiar with the syntax
  • Performance is very good
  • Need to support unstructured data
  • Need ability to scale
For MySQL
Pros:
  • Gives you the ability to host several databases on one server.
  • Uses tables to store data.
  • It has primary and foreign key constraints.
  • Uses indexes to sort data and speed up performance, and supports both desktop and web applications.
Cons: If there is unstructured data, it's very hard to create a table.
Read Tuan Anh Nguyen's full review
Benard Mutua profile photo
October 22, 2018

MySQL Review: "Reliability for free"

MySQL is a great software that comes in really handy when trying to solve where the data in a project should be stored on different bespoke systems. The high availability mastered in the creation of this software database is very good and is a great addition to our company's solutions.
  • The price is just right for small to medium enterprises and startups since it is free
  • The software has a lot of functionality
  • It can be integrated to work with other products
  • It takes a while for the user to get to do incremental backups for the software
  • It lacks inbuilt support for XML
  • The relational databases need some work done work
MySQL allows a user to select from a range of storage engines that enable you to change the functionality of the tool and handle data from different table types. The system is incredibly reliable and doesn’t hog resources. MySQL has an easy to use interface, and various commands such as batch commands that enables a user to process enormous amounts of data.
Read Benard Mutua's full review
December 27, 2018

User Review: "MySQL: Good Old Database"

MySQL is being used across our entire organization for various databases. Various different teams use MySQL and rely on it to maintain their backend application. We implement monitoring and metrics for MySQL to ensure we are getting the best performance out of our databases.
  • Store Data
  • Easy Query Language
  • Simple to setup
  • Currently owned by Oracle
  • MySQL doesn’t support full outer joins
  • MySQL doesn’t support working with arrays
MySQL is well suited to be a backend database to store data. Since MySQL has been around for many years, lots of people know how to set it up and use it, making it easy to get support or bring on new developers on a project using MySQL. Previously, I've seen MySQL being used as a queuing system, which was not really what it was designed for, and lead to stability issues when scaled up.
December 21, 2018

Review: "MySQL is good choice for a small sized genomics research project"

My company is a healthcare delivery institute and performs a number of data science projects collaboratively with other healthcare, research, and academic organizations. We conducted a genomics research project that stores sequencing data with attributes of miRNA, exon, intron, Methylation, etc into a relational database and developed a web based visualization tool presenting patterns based on the data in the database. In the project, we used MySQL database for storing genomics information.
  • It’s available for free but provides a lot of functionality even for a free database engine. There are tons of knowledge sources out there in case we needed technical support and dealt with troubles.
  • Since our project was a genomics project, we handled tables with numerous rows (e.g. sequencing). MySQL is very stable and performing well in hard conditions.
  • There are many developers who are familiar with MySQL already, like other major RDBMS products. It is easy to hire engineers with reasonable payment.
  • MySQL doesn't provide good data wrangling functionalities, such as parsing JSON or XML. We had to transform them outside MySQL on the web application server side using JSP.
  • As we move forward to adopt more genomics information, MySQL may lack of dealing with "big data" functionalities.
  • It is a freely available S/W and easy to manage budget, but there are possibilities to spend cost for additional technical support.
MySQL is basically a very well known, guaranteed relational database with minimum risk of adoption and use. Which means, for any general purpose MySQL database will fit in to some extent. Especially since it is free for use and doesn't come with burden of budgets. In our project the problem was extensibility to larger scaled genomics information, that may require big data management functions. MySQL is okay when it is small project, but as it grows, other products like MongoDB should be considered.
December 19, 2018

MySQL Review: "A great entry to mid level RDBMS"

MySQL is a best of class open-source database. We have used it across numerous applications both internal and customer facing. It supports standard SQL and is a great starting point for application development. In most of the companies I've worked for and with, MySQL is a central building block across the entire enterprise.
  • Rapid deployment and easy management. Getting a database up and running quickly and a low cost of maintenance is essential to adoption.
  • Supports standard SQL queries and is supported by many of the standard SQL database frameworks such as SQLAlchemy.
  • Supports advanced features such as replication and clustering, allowing the system to scale with need.
  • MySQL's ACID compliance is acceptable, but could be better. Competing applications such as PostgreSQL do a better job with this.
  • Development has slowed considerably since being acquired by Oracle. MariaDB, a forked version of MySQL, is much more active.
  • Replication works, but often ends up out of sync. Clustering works much better.
MySQL is an excellent starting point for most application development that requires a full features database. When used in conjunction with standard database frameworks, it can be easily swapped in and out as needs change. It's fast enough to handle relatively large data sets with many millions of rows. As with any application development, however, it's not a silver bullet. There are scenarios where it is more appropriate to use NoSQL or caching databases instead.
December 21, 2018

MySQL Review: "A solid database for cloud-minded developers needing a well used and cost-effective solution"

MySQL is a powerful open source database. We use cloud-hosted instances of this database to host our cloud-based subscription software application. The database is efficient and easy to use from a software developer standpoint. It is the backbone of our mobile and web-application which has been using MySQL for over 10 years.
  • I am able to use the online database interface PHP MyAdmin interface which is open-source, to manage my schema, manage users, and roles.
  • MySQL provides a nice client to manage multiple databases, remote, or local to perform database operations from a clean UI.
  • I am able to script database backup and restore operation very easily using a few simple commands.
  • MySQL integrates nicely with PHP but is also support connectors to Java and many other programming languages.
  • Features have lagged over the past 5 years since Oracle purchased it
  • The open-source community hasn't been able to make improvements to MySQL like a true open source project would permit
  • Upgrading from version-to-version has been a bit difficult
Databases that are hosted on Linux at popular hosting companies.
Open-source projects or databases with simple interfaces or web-services using PHP.
Large databases that host single applications with a reasonable number of concurrent users.
As a back-end for Java or PHP applications.
As a back-end for WordPress or Drupal websites.
November 05, 2018

"MySQL Review"

We use MySQL in AWS as a replacement for DynamoDB. We feel MySQL is pretty simple, lightweight and is suitable for our need. It is being used by several teams in the organization. It depends on the teams themselves to decide which database is best to use. It has been great so far.
  • Simple to develop
  • Powerful enough
  • Perfromance Scaling
Pretty good but not sure about performance scaling.

About MySQL