NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO Backup and Replication does everything you need and more!"
- NAKIVO foremost is good value for money. We found the licensing of Veeam prohibitive and looked for another solution. We've been using NAKIVO for over 4 years now and it does everything we need it to and more.
- Administration is easy. All via a web browser. No clients need to be installed and we can access the information from any of our networked PCs and Chromebooks.
- It is constantly improving. When we first purchased it, it only worked with VMware to local storage but now it works with Hyper-V and can backup to the cloud. It ensures our backup software is compatible if we make any changes in the future.
- When moving VMs to a new host we sometimes have to manually refresh the storage but it's not a major issue.
- Repository self-healing and reclaiming used space can sometimes take a while.
- Support is initially only by email so you may have to wait for a response. Support are very helpful and knowledgeable though.
- Installation is a breeze, Nakivo pretty much works right out of the box.
- Jobs run fast and there is no agent to install.
- Easy to add your inventory.
- Would love to see the ability to backup a physical machine for those of us that still have a few that cannot be virtualized.
- GUI interface is fairly decent but could use a little bit of a spruce up.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Go for it for your small business setting or Enterprise and you won't look elsewhere"
Nakivo works cleanly and efficiently when backing up Hyper-V VMs. The software does well with a mixed environment of Linux and Windows VMs, and deduplication and compression make off-site backups viable. Restoring VMs from off-site or on-site storage was painless and easy.
Initially I was concerned that the several TB of VM data we had would be too much for off-site backups, but deduplication coupled with heavy compression brought this down to only a few hundred GB when uploading to Azure File Storage.
The software is quite flexible in that you can either use an SMB file store, or configure a light-weight VM in Azure with Nakivo's transporter installed for better security / more efficient transport when doing off-site backups. Using Backup Copy jobs allows you to keep nice and consistent backups.
- On-site and off-site backups. The data compression, deduplication and low resource usage is very nice and fast
- Nakivo Backup works flawlessly with our Synlogy NAS backup system
- I had a small learning curve to get used to the UI. I think the backup wizard could be streamlined a little bit
- Easy to install, the first backup comes within 5 minutes.
- Excellent support and followup.
- Nice price.
- I cant think of something missing right now. Minor tweaks that it will be nice to have in 7.2 are already Incorporated in 7.3.
- Great backup product for virtual environments.
- Cost-effective and efficient.
- Easy to set up and manage.
- Good tech support and features being added often to improve the product. Love it!
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "A strong backup contender for VMWare Essentials and small businesses"
- It was simple to setup
- Simple to administer
- Price is quite good compared to competition
- Data recovery is not always easy. I had to contact support to help recover some deleted files. (we did recover everything)
- When a VM is down it would be nice to have phone support.
- The biggest help for me was the possibility to use Synology NAS to do the job.
- The calendar is helping a lot programming the backup job without overlapping another running job.
- Migration to another Synology NAS is also easy, just export/import the configuration, reconfigure the repository and done.
- I can't remember anything.
- Deduplication --> saves data on backup storage
- No footprint on virtual environment --> no additional virtual appliances and no additional management software therefore there a minimal use of resources
- Fast backup times --> smaller backup windows
- Layout of the web-portal could use a upgrade --> screen/layout is static, no auto sizing with bigger monitors
- Working well with free esxi vm-ware as backup solution.
- Very fast backup together with Synology NAS
- Very easy to administer and use in setup and when restoring
- Work with Backblaze as cloud backup as well.
- Documentation based on new VMware 6.5
We were looking for a simple solution to implement and maintain. Currently, my client has all their backups automated using NAKIVO Backup.
- NAKIVO Backup is very simple to install. Without previous knowledge we have been able to implement a complete backup solution very quickly.
- It provides a very simple method both to completely restore a virtual machine, as well as to restore individual files.
- Very intuitive application to configure all the possible options: frequency of backups, restore points to maintain, alerts to errors in the copy, location of the files, etc.
- NAKIVO provides excellent technical support. They have responded quickly and kindly to the doubts we had prior to the acquisition of the program.
- We haven't found anything we don't like about NAKIVO Backup!
- Virtual backup solutions are always complex but NAKIVO is user-friendly.
- Best support ever, the support team always up to date, and write a good solution.
- Add more feature, for example cloud connect.
- Easy to install, configure and use.
- Fine-grained tuning and fallback solutions in case of backup errors.
- Complete demo allowing to test a fully functional product.
- Well integrated with VMware products, allows you to use a powerful homemade solution if CBT does not work.
- Flexible licensing solutions (Pro and Enterprise Editions, Essentials editions for 6 CPUs, perpetual and annual licensing) allowing any enterprise of any size to own it easily with limited initial costs.
- A lot of features at a very interesting price.
- Support for Linux is limited to old releases (Ubuntu 12.04, RHEL 6.3 and SUSE 11 only)
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About NAKIVO Backup & Replication
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a fast, reliable, and affordable VM backup solution for protecting VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 environments. According to the vendor, NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers advanced features that increase backup performance, improve reliability, speed up recovery, and, as a result, help save time and money.
According to the vendor, key benefits and features include:
- Deploy in under 5 minutes: Pre-configured VMware Virtual Appliance, Synology NAS package, 1-click Windows installer, 1-command Linux installer, pre-configured AWS Amazon Machine Image
- Protect VMs: Native, agentless, image-based, application-aware VMware/Hyper-V/AWS VM backup and replication
- Increase backup speed: Forever-incremental backups with CBT/RCT, LAN-free data transfer, network acceleration, up to 1.7X performance when installed on NAS
- Reduce backup size: Exclusion of SWAP files and partitions, global backup deduplication, variable backup compression
- Ensure recoverability: Instant backup verification with screenshots of test-recovered VMs, backup copy offsite/to the cloud
- Decrease recovery time: Instant recovery of VMs, files, Exchange objects, Active Directory objects, DR with VM replicas
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Screenshots
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Competitors
|Pro Essentials||$199||per socket|
|Enterprise Essentials||$299||per socket|
The product is licensed per physical CPU socket for each ESXi server on which you back up or replicate VMs.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||70%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||20%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||Enterprises (> 500 employees)||10%|
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Virtual Appliance, direct Install on NAS, pre-configured AWS Amazon Machine Image|