https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/02/iX/CB133LC48U2R.PNGNAKIVO Backup and Replication does everything you need and more!We use NAKIVO to back up our virtual server infrastructure in the school. We run VMware essentials plus on 3 hosts and NAKIVO backs up about 30 machines on a nightly basis.,NAKIVO foremost is good value for money. We found the licensing of Veeam prohibitive and looked for another solution. We've been using NAKIVO for over 4 years now and it does everything we need it to and more. Administration is easy. All via a web browser. No clients need to be installed and we can access the information from any of our networked PCs and Chromebooks. It is constantly improving. When we first purchased it, it only worked with VMware to local storage but now it works with Hyper-V and can backup to the cloud. It ensures our backup software is compatible if we make any changes in the future.,When moving VMs to a new host we sometimes have to manually refresh the storage but it's not a major issue. Repository self-healing and reclaiming used space can sometimes take a while. Support is initially only by email so you may have to wait for a response. Support are very helpful and knowledgeable though.,10,Positive impact on reducing licensing costs. Especially important for schools at the moment because of limited funding.,Veeam Backup & ReplicationNakivo backup and replication reviewWe were searching for a backup solution for on-premise servers owned by our clients. Generally, we provide backup for 1 or 2 physical servers which host 4-10 virtual machines. Since there are only 1-2 servers, the budget is quite strict so this was an important factor for us. We tested Nakivo about 1 year ago and found it very easy to use with the web-interface. Backup speed is also good and thanks to deduplication technology storage is not being wasted.,Easy to use web interface Can be installed on several platforms including NAS devices Easy recovery of files,Nothing,8,Great pricing Efficient use of storage Easy upgradableNAKIVO Backup & Replication Pro Essentials for VMware and Hyper-V ReviewVery good product. Easy to use and free of errors. We bought NAKIVO Backup & Replication Pro Essentials for VMware and Hyper-V, and do exactly what is necessary for us. We are backing up our VM regularly based on a schedule that is very easy to set up. We are a software company and we have many VM for developing and testing software. Nakivo lets us secure all our business, especially the development datastore (CVS/SVN).,Easy of use, very good and usable user interface. Plenty of features. No errors running backups. Some links to help broken,It would be nice if NAKIVO will provide an Italian translation.,9,Just security of our data. With the introduction of European GDPR, it's been very important to preserve sensitive data and to take all measures possible for securing information.,Windows ServerCost Effective and Reliable!Nakivo Backup and Replication is being used to backup our in-house VMWare server. As a small IT consultant, the cost was a big concern for me. Nakivo checked off all of the checkboxes. It is cost effective and it works extremely well. Very easy to setup and configure. I currently use it on a Windows server to backup my virtual environment and you can be up and running in minutes.,Installation is a breeze, Nakivo pretty much works right out of the box. Jobs run fast and there is no agent to install. Easy to add your inventory.,Would love to see the ability to backup a physical machine for those of us that still have a few that cannot be virtualized. GUI interface is fairly decent but could use a little bit of a spruce up.,9,Nakivo is very inexpensive and has had a positive impact thus far,Unitrends Recovery Series Backup Appliance and Veeam Backup & ReplicationGo for it for your small business setting or Enterprise and you won't look elsewhereBefore NAKIVO we used a number of methods or software to backup our VMs and it was very challenging, especially when it came to the time consumed for backup and backup recovery. NAKIVO backs up natively our vSpehere machines from within our Synology Data Storage and it is very user-friendly and a reliable solution! Though our servers and storage hardware is at entry level we can backup and restore 100GB VMs within a couple of minutes only! I would highly recommend NAKIVO to any institution utilizing VMware vSphere.,High performance! (speedy backup/restore and replication) Easy integration with Synology Easy to manage: user-friendly and intuitive interface,No complaints. Works well for us.,10,NAKIVO helped us to easily archive and protect our data reliably The return on investment is our data being safe.,
Windows, Linux, Virtual Appliance, direct Install on NAS, pre-configured AWS Amazon Machine Image
NAKIVO Backup & Replication

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Reviews<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

NAKIVO Backup & Replication
Top Rated Award
Filter 31 vetted NAKIVO Backup & Replication reviews and ratings
Dave Munro profile photo
November 06, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO Backup and Replication does everything you need and more!"

• NAKIVO foremost is good value for money. We found the licensing of Veeam prohibitive and looked for another solution. We've been using NAKIVO for over 4 years now and it does everything we need it to and more.
  • Administration is easy. All via a web browser. No clients need to be installed and we can access the information from any of our networked PCs and Chromebooks.
  • It is constantly improving. When we first purchased it, it only worked with VMware to local storage but now it works with Hyper-V and can backup to the cloud. It ensures our backup software is compatible if we make any changes in the future.
  • When moving VMs to a new host we sometimes have to manually refresh the storage but it's not a major issue.
  • Repository self-healing and reclaiming used space can sometimes take a while.
  • Support is initially only by email so you may have to wait for a response. Support are very helpful and knowledgeable though.
We don't use all the features that it can provide but find it an affordable backup solution which just works. To be honest we leave it alone until we need it or when we make changes to our VMware platform which means we just need to update to the latest version of NAKIVO which is fairly straightforward. In terms of value for money I'd say it can't be beaten.
Read Dave Munro's full review
Arne Van Vyve profile photo
July 16, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication: "Nakivo backup and replication review"

• Easy to use web interface
  • Can be installed on several platforms including NAS devices
  • Easy recovery of files
  • Nothing
For the backup for virtual machines Hyper-V or Vsphere infrastructure. Especially small-medium environments where the budget is restricted. Recovery of individual files or whole VM's is not a problem. New features as automatic failover are also available.
Read Arne Van Vyve's full review
Vincenzo Nati profile photo
November 02, 2018

"NAKIVO Backup & Replication Pro Essentials for VMware and Hyper-V Review"

• Easy of use, very good and usable user interface. Plenty of features.
  • No errors running backups. Some links to help broken
  • It would be nice if NAKIVO will provide an Italian translation.
Suited for small businesses like ours.
Read Vincenzo Nati's full review
Alexander Hubbard profile photo
June 19, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Cost Effective and Reliable!"

• Installation is a breeze, Nakivo pretty much works right out of the box.
  • Jobs run fast and there is no agent to install.
  • Easy to add your inventory.
  • Would love to see the ability to backup a physical machine for those of us that still have a few that cannot be virtualized.
  • GUI interface is fairly decent but could use a little bit of a spruce up.
Nakivo is well suited for the SMB environment where budgets are a huge concern. Nakivo is cost effective and budget conscience. Nakivo works well with either Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare's ESXi/vCenter offerings. I would not hesitate to recommend Nakivo to other colleagues that need a backup product that works extremely well and doesn't break the bank.
Read Alexander Hubbard's full review
Stanislav Kirilov profile photo
July 14, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Go for it for your small business setting or Enterprise and you won't look elsewhere"

• High performance! (speedy backup/restore and replication)
  • Easy integration with Synology
  • Easy to manage: user-friendly and intuitive interface
  • No complaints.
  • Works well for us.
We were impressed with the performance and reliability of the product. Would always recommend such a solution to IT colleagues, even to less savvy ones.
Read Stanislav Kirilov's full review
Michael Keys Sr profile photo
March 21, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO Backup saved the day!"

Nakivo works cleanly and efficiently when backing up Hyper-V VMs. The software does well with a mixed environment of Linux and Windows VMs, and deduplication and compression make off-site backups viable. Restoring VMs from off-site or on-site storage was painless and easy.

Initially I was concerned that the several TB of VM data we had would be too much for off-site backups, but deduplication coupled with heavy compression brought this down to only a few hundred GB when uploading to Azure File Storage.

The software is quite flexible in that you can either use an SMB file store, or configure a light-weight VM in Azure with Nakivo's transporter installed for better security / more efficient transport when doing off-site backups. Using Backup Copy jobs allows you to keep nice and consistent backups.

• On-site and off-site backups. The data compression, deduplication and low resource usage is very nice and fast
  • Nakivo Backup works flawlessly with our Synlogy NAS backup system
  • I had a small learning curve to get used to the UI. I think the backup wizard could be streamlined a little bit
I would recommend this in a heartbeat.
Read Michael Keys Sr's full review
Christophe Rahier profile photo
May 24, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "How to implement a reliable and powerful solution?"

In the past, I used Nakivo in a VMware infrastructure to back up dozens of VMs. Today, my working environment is Hyper-V and I was looking for a backup tool for VM. I also wanted the software to run on a Synology and not add a VM to the hypervisor (in case it crashes) In fact, I downloaded Nakivo to test under Hyper-V and returned the same ease and power as for VMware. So it was my inevitable choice for the backups, without hesitating! Easy to set up and use, what more could you ask for:-)
  • easy to use
  • fast backup
  • resilient
  • very clear interface
  • It misses the possibility to be able to store the encrypted backup on a Synoloy.
Thanks to backups and granularity, I was able to restore a single file on a server on a specific date
Read Christophe Rahier's full review
Νίκος Στεργιώτης profile photo
April 17, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO Back & replication"

I am implementing NAKIVO installations for my clients, using N.A.S. instead of computers. NAKIVO licensing model and pricing allowing my clients -no matter the size- to be able to use a robust backup software, without having to pay too much. Using N.A.S. instead of computer means that I (and the client) no longer have to worry about Windows Updates, .net versions, Windows versions, e.t.c. All I have to do is feed the N.A.S. with electricity and network, the rest are running smoothly automatically. The first backup can start in less than five (5) minutes, from the initial configuration. Later on, if you tweak the configuration a bit, you can have high-speed backups, CBT and data deduplication up to 66%. For Off-site backups, I can configure AWS, or if the client doesn't wish to send the backup to the cloud, I can install an external USB 3.0 hard disk on the N.A.S. and schedule a -LAN free- copy of data from the N.A.S. to the disk. I can schedule the Off-site job to attach the external disk at a specific time & date, make the backup, run a custom script (i.e. xcopy *.* to \\NAS\backup) to add some necessary files to the off-site hdd) and then automatically detach the disk and inform the client about the outcome via email. All-in-all a great product.
  • Easy to install, the first backup comes within 5 minutes.
  • Excellent support and followup.
  • Nice price.
  • I cant think of something missing right now. Minor tweaks that it will be nice to have in 7.2 are already Incorporated in 7.3.
NAKIVO can be installed and used in all scenarios, with or without in-house I.T. staff. Most of my clients, don't have in-house I.T. and they don't want to get tangled with the backup procedure, thus there is only one way: set it and forget it. The backups are running smoothly, the email after each job is briefing me with the results, all I have to do is to upgrade the version, each time that new "goodies" are added to the product.
Read Νίκος Στεργιώτης's full review
Kiss Mihály profile photo
February 07, 2018

"NAKIVO Backup & Replication Platform Review"

Main competitive advantages of Nakivo platform
- The NAKIVO support is first class!
- Their price is a bargain for its performance.
- The software capabilities are great.
- Many other advantages

Our case study
The office department of Hajdúböszörmeny was looking for a backup software. They were afraid of a crypto incident and wanted to introduce an independent backup system. First of all, we searched for a usable backup system. We found a package named "Nakivo" in the Synology DSM and started examining the software. We found it excellent for the job and started using it. After we have tested the platform, we contacted the NAKIVO support and became a reseller of the software in Hungary.
  • Full backup
  • Fully independent from the backed up system
  • Dedicated Synology package
  • File-level restore
  • Nothing!
We started to use it in the department of Hajdúböszörmény 1 month ago. There are full weekend backups and daily synthetic backup of their VMs. The platform in the department is based on Hyper-V and is a failover cluster. NAKIVO's solution has no problems, even though it is complicated.
Read Kiss Mihály's full review
David Judice profile photo
May 29, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Nakivo Backup perfect for small to midsize VM Enviroments."

Nakivo Backup & Replication is a great product and works well in my environment to provide backups of the virtual servers on my VMware hosts both locally to a NAS and offsite to Amazon S3. It was very easy to set up and manage and the new bandwidth management is a very nice addition.
  • Cost effective VMWare backups. Easy to set up and use and a reliable product.
  • Bandwidth management is a very nice new feature.
  • None that I have found.
  • Great backup product for virtual environments.
  • Cost-effective and efficient.
  • Easy to set up and manage.
  • Good tech support and features being added often to improve the product. Love it!
Read David Judice's full review
Sage Major profile photo
February 01, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "A strong backup contender for VMWare Essentials and small businesses"

We use Nakivo to backup our VM Ware servers. We have a pair of EXSI 6.5 hosts with Dell Datastore and backup our mission-critical systems.
  • It was simple to setup
  • Simple to administer
  • Price is quite good compared to competition
  • Data recovery is not always easy. I had to contact support to help recover some deleted files. (we did recover everything)
  • When a VM is down it would be nice to have phone support.
I would say this is perfect for a small enterprise with VMWare Essentials. Using the Live view on data let me get in and recover a single file. I don't know how pricing would hold up against a large install but like VMWare Essentials this is targeted at a small company. I also used it for part of my migration from one set of servers to a new one.
Read Sage Major's full review
Richard Davies profile photo
January 19, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Where have all my backup worries gone?"

We are using NAKIVO to backup our VMWare guests to an onsite NAS and also to replicate business critical VMWare guests to an offsite VMWare environment at a local data centre for disaster recovery and business continuity purposes. This allows us to have local backups of our servers and in the event of a major problem at our business office we can quickly be up and running from our remote site.
  • Very easy to install and set up.
  • Simple, intuitive web interface.
  • Very fast backups and replication even across a WAN to a remote site.
  • No problems or complaints
Well suited to a VMWare environment. Allows both the backup and replication of VMWare quests. Works well even across slow WAN connections to remote sites. Can recover complete VMs or individual files without the needs to restore the VM. Also able to keep multiple historical backup copies and creates multiple VM snapshots when using replication.
Read Richard Davies's full review
Aba-Mark Mihaly profile photo
January 18, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO - The BEST!"

I use NAKIVO for backing up my VMWare Lab (around 10 VM's), to a Synology NAS. Install was piece of cake, through the Synology AppManager, config also was super easy, just created the Backup Repository, selected the VM's to backup and voila! The load is minimal in the VM environment, the job is done by the Synology NAS.
  • The biggest help for me was the possibility to use Synology NAS to do the job.
  • The calendar is helping a lot programming the backup job without overlapping another running job.
  • Migration to another Synology NAS is also easy, just export/import the configuration, reconfigure the repository and done.
  • I can't remember anything.
I can highly recommend for small business for the ease of configure/use.
Read Aba-Mark Mihaly's full review
Jan Straatman profile photo
January 12, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Versatile and reliable back-up solution."

We have been testing this product for about a month, so far NAKIVO Backup & Replication has proven itself reliable and versatile. The fact that the software can run on a NAS (thus creating your own backup appliance) is excellent. Back-up times are good/acceptable and deduplication is very good. Overall a good product with some unique possibilities. The problems it addresses (compared to our current back-up software) is better stability/reliability and no footprint on our virtual environment thanks to the ability to run on a NAS).
  • Deduplication --> saves data on backup storage
  • No footprint on virtual environment --> no additional virtual appliances and no additional management software therefore there a minimal use of resources
  • Fast backup times --> smaller backup windows
  • Layout of the web-portal could use a upgrade --> screen/layout is static, no auto sizing with bigger monitors
NAKIVO Backup and Replication is a versatile and reliable backup solution, which can be used in either a small, medium or large environment. It seems to work in any scenario. It is straight-to-the-point and has some unique possibilities.
Read Jan Straatman's full review
Paw Meng Mortensen profile photo
January 08, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Very easy and fast up and running"

It is used for backup of VMware free ESXi solutions for customers we support. It is easy for customers to use together with the Synology products. It solves the need for an easy, straightforward VMware and Hyper V backup-solution for SMBs with no or limited internal IT support.
  • Working well with free esxi vm-ware as backup solution.
  • Very fast backup together with Synology NAS
  • Very easy to administer and use in setup and when restoring
  • Work with Backblaze as cloud backup as well.
  • Documentation based on new VMware 6.5
We have not found areas where we could not use Nakivo and customers like the simple and easy setup.
Read Paw Meng Mortensen's full review
Eligio Morgado Habas profile photo
April 09, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Fantastic solution for backing up your virtual servers"

We decided to buy and implement NAKIVO to back up all VMWare virtual servers.
We were looking for a simple solution to implement and maintain. Currently, my client has all their backups automated using NAKIVO Backup.
  • NAKIVO Backup is very simple to install. Without previous knowledge we have been able to implement a complete backup solution very quickly.
  • It provides a very simple method both to completely restore a virtual machine, as well as to restore individual files.
  • Very intuitive application to configure all the possible options: frequency of backups, restore points to maintain, alerts to errors in the copy, location of the files, etc.
  • NAKIVO provides excellent technical support. They have responded quickly and kindly to the doubts we had prior to the acquisition of the program.
  • We haven't found anything we don't like about NAKIVO Backup!
NAKIVO is perfect for VMWare backups (I have not tried to make Hyper-V copies). If you have a compatible NAS you can use it to run NAKIVO Backup from it.
Read Eligio Morgado Habas's full review
Michael Gazdzik profile photo
March 07, 2018

Review: "Nakivo Backup & Replication - Great product for backing up my VMs"

We use Nakivo Backup and Replication to backup our Hyper-V machines. We have a pair of Dell servers running Windows 2012. It was important to us to have an offsite backup of our most important servers.
  • Easy to install and setup.
  • Simple interface
  • Fast Backups
  • The layout is a bit confusing.
A small business environment is well suited for Nakivo, especially for those mission-critical servers.
Read Michael Gazdzik's full review
Trevor Paskett profile photo
March 06, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO is awesome"

We use NAKIVO for VMWare replication and backup to AWS. Super fast and easy to use. Rock solid. Very happy.
  • Replication
  • Backup to AWS
  • Restoration
  • Not easy to set up additional local drives
  • Used EBS vs. S3 only for AWS
Price and features.
Read Trevor Paskett's full review
David BOUVET profile photo
February 15, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Great product to Backup and Replicate my VM's"

The software is very easy to install and setup. Only One Click to install on my Synology. Setup with an easy web interface, so I can do it and manage at the office, at home or anywhere. I can now easily backup and replicate my Virtual Machines. The only product I have found for my Synology!
  • Easy to install and setup
  • Compatible with Synology products
  • Scheduled backup
  • A French translation would be welcome
  • Nothing wrong
The only one product to backup VM's with Synology. No need to stop the VM's : NAKIVO can do a hot backup.
Read David BOUVET's full review
László Szegedi profile photo
January 26, 2018

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "NAKIVO is GOOD!"

We use NAKIVO software in the local Mayor'S Office. In the past, we had a lot problem with a backup solution, but we found NAKIVO and the problem is solved.
  • Virtual backup solutions are always complex but NAKIVO is user-friendly.
  • Best support ever, the support team always up to date, and write a good solution.
  • Add more feature, for example cloud connect.
Physical servers and virtual servers. If one virtual server is infected NAKIVO Backup & replication immediately restores the server. If one user accidentally deletes an important file, NAKIVO restores the file in one minute.
Read László Szegedi's full review
Peter van Trigt profile photo
January 12, 2018

"NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review"

At the Rotterdam Library, we were on the lookout for a good, cheap and simple way to back up our VMware servers. PHD backup was no longer supported by VMware 6.5 and we started testing with NAKIVO. NAKIVO is super easy to install. Does what it has to do. No regrets so far! In the future, we will see if we can backup in the cloud. This also belongs to the possibilities of NAKIVO. If you are looking for something affordable and stable, I can recommend this.
  • quite fast
  • simple
  • competitive price
  • no imperfections found yet
No imperfections found yet.
Read Peter van Trigt's full review
Jolyan Baudeau profile photo
July 12, 2016

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Fully featured backup solution for all"

We use Nakivo to backup our critical virtual machines in a small vSphere environment (about 100 total VMs). We needed to get a reliable and powerful solution to backup our VMs with a very small budget, meaning no additional license, like Windows Server or others. We used to backup most of our data "manually" (cron and rsync) and needed to switch to a complete VM backup solution. Here is where Nakivo came in place.
  • Easy to install, configure and use.
  • Fine-grained tuning and fallback solutions in case of backup errors.
  • Complete demo allowing to test a fully functional product.
  • Well integrated with VMware products, allows you to use a powerful homemade solution if CBT does not work.
  • Flexible licensing solutions (Pro and Enterprise Editions, Essentials editions for 6 CPUs, perpetual and annual licensing) allowing any enterprise of any size to own it easily with limited initial costs.
  • A lot of features at a very interesting price.
  • Support for Linux is limited to old releases (Ubuntu 12.04, RHEL 6.3 and SUSE 11 only)
It's perfect for us. We did not test it on a big environment.
Read Jolyan Baudeau's full review
Thomas Hilgert profile photo
February 26, 2016

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Review: "Backup for small an medium sized companys"

NAKIVO is our main backup and replication software for all our virtual machines. We have all our data replicated to a private cloud and backup to offsite storage.
  • Easy to use and very user friendly
  • Good performance with excellent compression/deduplication
  • Very good price
  • Multilanguage support
  • Support for USB backup devices
It is an excellent tool for small and medium companies. It has a feature set which is unique for the price.
Read Thomas Hilgert's full review

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Scorecard Summary

Universal recovery (20)
Live recovery (20)
Recovery verification (21)
9.4
Business application protection (19)
Multiple backup destinations (20)
9.6
Incremental backup identification (21)
9.4
Backup to the cloud (16)
Deduplication and file compression (23)
9.6
Snapshots (22)
9.5

About NAKIVO Backup & Replication

NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a fast, reliable, and affordable VM backup solution for protecting VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 environments. According to the vendor, NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers advanced features that increase backup performance, improve reliability, speed up recovery, and, as a result, help save time and money.

According to the vendor, key benefits and features include:

• Deploy in under 5 minutes: Pre-configured VMware Virtual Appliance, Synology NAS package, 1-click Windows installer, 1-command Linux installer, pre-configured AWS Amazon Machine Image
  • Protect VMs: Native, agentless, image-based, application-aware VMware/Hyper-V/AWS VM backup and replication
  • Increase backup speed: Forever-incremental backups with CBT/RCT, LAN-free data transfer, network acceleration, up to 1.7X performance when installed on NAS
  • Reduce backup size: Exclusion of SWAP files and partitions, global backup deduplication, variable backup compression
  • Ensure recoverability: Instant backup verification with screenshots of test-recovered VMs, backup copy offsite/to the cloud
  • Decrease recovery time: Instant recovery of VMs, files, Exchange objects, Active Directory objects, DR with VM replicas

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Features

Data Center Backup Features
Has featureUniversal recovery
Has featureLive recovery
Has featureRecovery verification
Has featureBusiness application protection
Has featureMultiple backup destinations
Has featureIncremental backup identification
Has featureBackup to the cloud
Has featureDeduplication and file compression
Has featureSnapshots
Does not have featureFlexible deployment
Does not have featureManagement dashboard
Does not have featurePlatform support
Does not have featureRetention options
Does not have featureEncryption

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Screenshots

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Competitors

Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
Pro Essentials$199per socket
Enterprise Essentials$299per socket
Pro$399per socket
Enterprise$599per socket

The product is licensed per physical CPU socket for each ESXi server on which you back up or replicate VMs.

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Customer Size Distribution

Enterprises (> 500 employees)Enterprises (> 500 employees)

NAKIVO Backup & Replication Support Options