Reviews (1-22 of 22)
I use NAKIVO for backing up my VMWare Lab (around 10 VM's), to a Synology NAS. Install was piece of cake, through the Synology AppManager, config also was super easy, just created the Backup Repository, selected the VM's to backup and voila! The load is minimal in the VM environment, the job is done by the Synology NAS.
- The biggest help for me was the possibility to use Synology NAS to do the job.
- The calendar is helping a lot programming the backup job without overlapping another running job.
- Migration to another Synology NAS is also easy, just export/import the configuration, reconfigure the repository and done.
- I can't remember anything.
Read Aba-Mark Mihaly's full review
I can highly recommend for small business for the ease of configure/use.
We started using Nakivo Backup and Replication to backup virtual machines hosted on customer premises on free ESXi hosts. Nakivo's proprietary change tracking method alternative to VMware's CBT.saved us the costs of going for a paid ESXi solution to minimize the storage and time required for the backups. Later we implemented the same product to replicate all our virtual servers in our data centre between two different SANs.
- Easy to implement and flexible, Nakivo can run on Windows systems, as a virtual appliance on VMware or as an app on your Synology NAS.
- Very robust- in more than two years since using it we did not have any failed backups related to the product itself.
- Can not think of anything, maybe they can make it a free product?
Read Adrian Takacs's full review
Nakivo Backup and Replication is an excellent product to backup up your virtual infrastructure, create an on premise backup appliance, replicate to your private cloud and take advantage of the free CBT alternative when implementing a free ESXi host.
You might find it hard to believe but there are still some physical servers out there for which you will need to implement different backup product.
You might find it hard to believe but there are still some physical servers out there for which you will need to implement different backup product.
January 24, 2020
We use Nakivo Backup and Replication to back up virtual machines running on ESXi hosted in a datacentre to an offsite NAS. This involves data flowing over DSL connections. One of the attractive features of Nakivo was its architecture allowing a transporter at both the ESXi and NAS ends, which allows it to both encrypt and compress/deduplicate the traffic involved in the backup, thus reducing the bandwidth requirements needed compared to other backup solutions.
- Straightforward interface.
- Bandwidth is managed, so it works well when there are slow network connections involved.
- We would like the ability to run the virtual image in situ on the virtual hosting of NAS backup devices. Some NAS vendor backup utilities now have this facility.
- The user interface can be cumbersome at times. For example, if looking for a particular recovery point of a particular backup instance.
Read Matthew Dovey's full review
We currently run Nakivo Backup and Replication for a small installation at our company.
December 17, 2019
I was looking for a robust solution to handle data backups for my clients. NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a very good solution for those on a budget or with a small environment. Any Systems Administrator will tell you that a strong backup product is essential to be able to sleep at night. The installation of NAKIVO is very easy. I’ve used NAKIVO on both Windows and Synology platforms. The user interface is good to work with and they have good support.
- The user interface is good to work with.
- They have good support.
- Clearly they need to get out there more since a lot of end users are using other backup tools/apps.
- Customer Service could always be better even when it's good.
Read Jason Miller's full review
It's very well suited for data backups in environments where redundancy is essential (i.e. cloud backup).
NAKIVO is used to backup our VMware systems, and we have it installed at a number of customer sites doing the same thing. Compared to our old system, NAKIVO just works. It's easy to setup, it's easy to use, and it's ridiculously reliable.
- Easy to configure
- The different product versions are oddly named for what they provide.
- Some enterprise features are not yet supported on the virtual appliance running under VMware.
Read Kevin King's full review
We only use it for VMware, but there are versions for Hyper-V and AWS as well. We've used Unitrends, Veeam, and NAKIVO, and NAKIVO hits the mark far better than the others in terms of reliability and ease of use.
July 30, 2019
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is being used across the entire organization, but only for backups of both Windows and Linux VMs currently. We may start using the replication features in the near future.
- Creating G-F-S backups of virtual servers in a completely automated fashion.
- Restoring data easily when needed, either as specific individual files or entire servers (and the run-from-backup option is just neat, although we've rarely had use for that).
- Storing Data in a de-duplicated, compressed format has allowed us to store many many backups in a space that is many many times smaller than it would take to keep multiple full copies of each server.
- Needs to support more flavors of Linux. Seeing "The operating system of the selected recovery server is not supported" is just not cool, man, not cool.
- Should allow more than one user regardless of license level. Even small companies have more than one IT person who might need to access it and sharing one ID is never a good idea.
- It's frustrating when we get job failures because maintenance tasks are being done (which makes things like repositories unavailable). Maintenance tasks should be paused and then resume after the higher priority job completes.
Read this authenticated review
It is fantastic for small to medium-sized businesses. It might be a challenge to use it in a large enterprise as I'm not sure the interface has enough granular security, although I do not have experience with NAKIVO in that type of environment. On the other hand, NAKIVO can scale in the form of multiple transporter servers and backup targets to distribute the load.
Every infrastructure needs security, and one way to secure it is to find a solution for backups. After searching around and testing other solutions we have found NAKIVO. We use Nakivo to back up our ESXi server to a remote location.
Read this authenticated review
We use NAKIVO as a site to site backup solution and we haven't had any particular issues, it's just working:). Our server is located in one country and our backup server is in another country. With good internet speeds, that we have in both data centers, we run a backup every day, and for some VM's even more than once a day. We didn't have the material in our disposition or needs to test NAKIVO in other work scenarios.
November 02, 2018
Very good product. Easy to use and free of errors. We bought NAKIVO Backup & Replication Pro Essentials for VMware and Hyper-V, and do exactly what is necessary for us. We are backing up our VM regularly based on a schedule that is very easy to set up. We are a software company and we have many VM for developing and testing software. Nakivo lets us secure all our business, especially the development datastore (CVS/SVN).
Read Vincenzo Nati's full review
Suited for small businesses like ours.
July 16, 2018
We were searching for a backup solution for on-premise servers owned by our clients. Generally, we provide backup for 1 or 2 physical servers which host 4-10 virtual machines. Since there are only 1-2 servers, the budget is quite strict so this was an important factor for us. We tested Nakivo about 1 year ago and found it very easy to use with the web-interface. Backup speed is also good and thanks to deduplication technology storage is not being wasted.
Read Arne Van Vyve's full review
For the backup for virtual machines Hyper-V or Vsphere infrastructure. Especially small-medium environments where the budget is restricted. Recovery of individual files or whole VM's is not a problem. New features as automatic failover are also available.
Nakivo works cleanly and efficiently when backing up Hyper-V VMs. The software does well with a mixed environment of Linux and Windows VMs, and deduplication and compression make off-site backups viable. Restoring VMs from off-site or on-site storage was painless and easy.
Initially I was concerned that the several TB of VM data we had would be too much for off-site backups, but deduplication coupled with heavy compression brought this down to only a few hundred GB when uploading to Azure File Storage.
The software is quite flexible in that you can either use an SMB file store, or configure a light-weight VM in Azure with Nakivo's transporter installed for better security / more efficient transport when doing off-site backups. Using Backup Copy jobs allows you to keep nice and consistent backups.
- On-site and off-site backups. The data compression, deduplication and low resource usage is very nice and fast
- Nakivo Backup works flawlessly with our Synlogy NAS backup system
- I had a small learning curve to get used to the UI. I think the backup wizard could be streamlined a little bit
Read Michael Keys Sr's full review
I would recommend this in a heartbeat.
Nakivo Backup and Replication is being used to backup our in-house VMWare server. As a small IT consultant, the cost was a big concern for me. Nakivo checked off all of the checkboxes. It is cost effective and it works extremely well. Very easy to setup and configure. I currently use it on a Windows server to backup my virtual environment and you can be up and running in minutes.
- Installation is a breeze, Nakivo pretty much works right out of the box.
- Jobs run fast and there is no agent to install.
- Easy to add your inventory.
- Would love to see the ability to backup a physical machine for those of us that still have a few that cannot be virtualized.
- GUI interface is fairly decent but could use a little bit of a spruce up.
Read Alexander Hubbard's full review
Nakivo is well suited for the SMB environment where budgets are a huge concern. Nakivo is cost effective and budget conscience. Nakivo works well with either Microsoft Hyper-V or VMWare's ESXi/vCenter offerings. I would not hesitate to recommend Nakivo to other colleagues that need a backup product that works extremely well and doesn't break the bank.
I am implementing NAKIVO installations for my clients, using N.A.S. instead of computers. NAKIVO licensing model and pricing allowing my clients -no matter the size- to be able to use a robust backup software, without having to pay too much. Using N.A.S. instead of computer means that I (and the client) no longer have to worry about Windows Updates, .net versions, Windows versions, e.t.c. All I have to do is feed the N.A.S. with electricity and network, the rest are running smoothly automatically. The first backup can start in less than five (5) minutes, from the initial configuration. Later on, if you tweak the configuration a bit, you can have high-speed backups, CBT and data deduplication up to 66%. For Off-site backups, I can configure AWS, or if the client doesn't wish to send the backup to the cloud, I can install an external USB 3.0 hard disk on the N.A.S. and schedule a -LAN free- copy of data from the N.A.S. to the disk. I can schedule the Off-site job to attach the external disk at a specific time & date, make the backup, run a custom script (i.e. xcopy *.* to \\NAS\backup) to add some necessary files to the off-site hdd) and then automatically detach the disk and inform the client about the outcome via email. All-in-all a great product.
- Easy to install, the first backup comes within 5 minutes.
- Excellent support and followup.
- Nice price.
- I cant think of something missing right now. Minor tweaks that it will be nice to have in 7.2 are already Incorporated in 7.3.
Read Νίκος Στεργιώτης's full review
NAKIVO can be installed and used in all scenarios, with or without in-house I.T. staff. Most of my clients, don't have in-house I.T. and they don't want to get tangled with the backup procedure, thus there is only one way: set it and forget it. The backups are running smoothly, the email after each job is briefing me with the results, all I have to do is to upgrade the version, each time that new "goodies" are added to the product.
February 07, 2018
Main competitive advantages of Nakivo platform
- The NAKIVO support is first class!
- Their price is a bargain for its performance.
- The software capabilities are great.
- Many other advantages
Our case study
The office department of Hajdúböszörmeny was looking for a backup software. They were afraid of a crypto incident and wanted to introduce an independent backup system. First of all, we searched for a usable backup system. We found a package named "Nakivo" in the Synology DSM and started examining the software. We found it excellent for the job and started using it. After we have tested the platform, we contacted the NAKIVO support and became a reseller of the software in Hungary.
Read Kiss Mihály's full review
We started to use it in the department of Hajdúböszörmény 1 month ago. There are full weekend backups and daily synthetic backup of their VMs. The platform in the department is based on Hyper-V and is a failover cluster. NAKIVO's solution has no problems, even though it is complicated.
February 01, 2018
We use Nakivo to backup our VM Ware servers. We have a pair of EXSI 6.5 hosts with Dell Datastore and backup our mission-critical systems.
- It was simple to setup
- Simple to administer
- Price is quite good compared to competition
- Data recovery is not always easy. I had to contact support to help recover some deleted files. (we did recover everything)
- When a VM is down it would be nice to have phone support.
Read Sage Major's full review
I would say this is perfect for a small enterprise with VMWare Essentials. Using the Live view on data let me get in and recover a single file. I don't know how pricing would hold up against a large install but like VMWare Essentials this is targeted at a small company. I also used it for part of my migration from one set of servers to a new one.
January 19, 2018
We are using NAKIVO to backup our VMWare guests to an onsite NAS and also to replicate business critical VMWare guests to an offsite VMWare environment at a local data centre for disaster recovery and business continuity purposes. This allows us to have local backups of our servers and in the event of a major problem at our business office we can quickly be up and running from our remote site.
Read Richard Davies's full review
Well suited to a VMWare environment. Allows both the backup and replication of VMWare quests. Works well even across slow WAN connections to remote sites. Can recover complete VMs or individual files without the needs to restore the VM. Also able to keep multiple historical backup copies and creates multiple VM snapshots when using replication.
January 12, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
We have been testing this product for about a month, so far NAKIVO Backup & Replication has proven itself reliable and versatile. The fact that the software can run on a NAS (thus creating your own backup appliance) is excellent. Back-up times are good/acceptable and deduplication is very good. Overall a good product with some unique possibilities. The problems it addresses (compared to our current back-up software) is better stability/reliability and no footprint on our virtual environment thanks to the ability to run on a NAS).
- Deduplication --> saves data on backup storage
- No footprint on virtual environment --> no additional virtual appliances and no additional management software therefore there a minimal use of resources
- Fast backup times --> smaller backup windows
- Layout of the web-portal could use a upgrade --> screen/layout is static, no auto sizing with bigger monitors
Read Jan Straatman's full review
NAKIVO Backup and Replication is a versatile and reliable backup solution, which can be used in either a small, medium or large environment. It seems to work in any scenario. It is straight-to-the-point and has some unique possibilities.
January 08, 2018
It is used for backup of VMware free ESXi solutions for customers we support. It is easy for customers to use together with the Synology products. It solves the need for an easy, straightforward VMware and Hyper V backup-solution for SMBs with no or limited internal IT support.
- Working well with free esxi vm-ware as backup solution.
- Very fast backup together with Synology NAS
- Very easy to administer and use in setup and when restoring
- Work with Backblaze as cloud backup as well.
- Documentation based on new VMware 6.5
Read Paw Meng Mortensen's full review
We have not found areas where we could not use Nakivo and customers like the simple and easy setup.
March 07, 2018
We use Nakivo Backup and Replication to backup our Hyper-V machines. We have a pair of Dell servers running Windows 2012. It was important to us to have an offsite backup of our most important servers.
Read Michael Gazdzik's full review
A small business environment is well suited for Nakivo, especially for those mission-critical servers.
We use NAKIVO for VMWare replication and backup to AWS. Super fast and easy to use. Rock solid. Very happy.
Read Trevor Paskett's full review
Price and features.
February 15, 2018
The software is very easy to install and setup. Only One Click to install on my Synology. Setup with an easy web interface, so I can do it and manage at the office, at home or anywhere. I can now easily backup and replicate my Virtual Machines. The only product I have found for my Synology!
Read David BOUVET's full review
The only one product to backup VM's with Synology. No need to stop the VM's : NAKIVO can do a hot backup.
We use NAKIVO software in the local Mayor'S Office. In the past, we had a lot problem with a backup solution, but we found NAKIVO and the problem is solved.
- Virtual backup solutions are always complex but NAKIVO is user-friendly.
- Best support ever, the support team always up to date, and write a good solution.
- Add more feature, for example cloud connect.
Read László Szegedi's full review
Physical servers and virtual servers. If one virtual server is infected NAKIVO Backup & replication immediately restores the server. If one user accidentally deletes an important file, NAKIVO restores the file in one minute.
February 26, 2016
NAKIVO is our main backup and replication software for all our virtual machines. We have all our data replicated to a private cloud and backup to offsite storage.
Read Thomas Hilgert's full review
It is an excellent tool for small and medium companies. It has a feature set which is unique for the price.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About NAKIVO Backup & Replication
NAKIVO Backup & Replication is a fast, reliable, and affordable VM backup solution for protecting VMware, Hyper-V, and AWS EC2 environments. According to the vendor, NAKIVO Backup & Replication offers advanced features that increase backup performance, improve reliability, speed up recovery, and, as a result, help save time and money.
According to the vendor, key benefits and features include:
- Deploy in under 5 minutes: Pre-configured VMware Virtual Appliance, Synology NAS package, 1-click Windows installer, 1-command Linux installer, pre-configured AWS Amazon Machine Image
- Protect VMs: Native, agentless, image-based, application-aware VMware/Hyper-V/AWS VM backup and replication
- Increase backup speed: Forever-incremental backups with CBT/RCT, LAN-free data transfer, network acceleration, up to 1.7X performance when installed on NAS
- Reduce backup size: Exclusion of SWAP files and partitions, global backup deduplication, variable backup compression
- Ensure recoverability: Instant backup verification with screenshots of test-recovered VMs, backup copy offsite/to the cloud
- Decrease recovery time: Instant recovery of VMs, files, Exchange objects, Active Directory objects, DR with VM replicas
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Screenshots
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Competitors
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
|Pro Essentials||$199||per socket|
|Enterprise Essentials||$299||per socket|
The product is licensed per physical CPU socket for each ESXi server on which you back up or replicate VMs.
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||70%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||20%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||10%|
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
NAKIVO Backup & Replication Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Virtual Appliance, direct Install on NAS, pre-configured AWS Amazon Machine Image|