NetApp ONTAP System Manager Reviews

Steve Davis | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 06, 2020

NetApp is a great all-in-one storage appliance

We use NetApp as our primary file system for our Windows shares / mapped drives, as well as for NFS storage for our virtualization environment. We have multiple filers across various sites. We utilize several features including snapshot and snapmirror. It is used across our whole organization at multiple locations.
  • Offsite replication is seamless.
  • Snapshots are easy to implement.
  • System Manager is easy to learn and manage the entire system.
  • System Manager is feature rich.
  • More details on network interfaces are available in CLI. Would like to see similar visibility on the GUI.
  • Deleting volumes that have been snapmirrored have to be released at the snapmirror destination first. Would be nice to have that feature at the source where you are deleting the volume.
  • When creating a volume in the GUI it adds to the default junction point. Would be nice to choose the junction point as you were creating the volume (this is a feature available in the CLI).
ONTAP System Manager is feature rich and all inclusive. It can work with multiple storage protocols and for various functionalities. It will replace your File Servers and your SAN and put them into one storage appliance. NFS, iSCSI, Fibre Channel, NVMe are all options. Snapshots and Offsite replication (Snapmirror) are all great. I can't think of a scenario where a NetApp wouldn't be a good fit.
Read Steve Davis's full review
Brandon Burch | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

NetApp System Manager: A System Manager Made for Managers

NetApp ONTAP System Manager is used within our organization to manage our NetApp filers through a web interface. NetApp ONTAP System Manager is a very easy and intuitive GUI for managing your SVMs, volumes, shares, etc. We use it to make the typical day to day changes but it can also be used to change networking configurations, "rehome interfaces," check diagnostics, and set up SnapMirror relationships.
  • System Manager is extremely good at resizing volumes, changing snapshot policies and making day-to-day changes.
  • The Dashboard and the Hardware and Diagnostics tabs are a great window into the health of your filer and Cluster. You can immediately see any issues like volumes that are nearly full or errors in the event logs.
  • Like any "single pane of glass" GUI implementation, there are always settings and configurations you can't include.
  • System Manager cannot make specific/complex configuration changes. For example I had to log in to make changes to "fpolicies" and the users associated with them.
NetApp ONTAP System Manager is a must-have for anyone that uses a current NetApp installation. In the past I always preferred to use the command line interface. I never really trusted GUIs to make sweeping changes. I always assumed something would go wrong. I've been using System Manager only for several years now (with the exception of the few settings omitted) and I have had absolutely no issues. In my case this has also been key for my coworkers who are not as familiar with NetApp products. While they don't know the CLI syntax they can easily figure out the System Manager interface.
Read Brandon Burch's full review
Joe Cairns | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2018

Core Tool for real NetApp visibility

As a company using a third party to manage our SAN, OnCommand is very necessary to give use even read-only access to what our SAN looks like and to allow us the insights we need for our capacity management and projections.
  • Fairly intuitive UI that just gets better with each update. In particular the logical breakdown of clustered nodes and their SVMs.
  • Some of the help items and tips etc really help when drilling it to items that you dont use so often.
  • Have a powershell API has been a major bonus for our organization as while the UI is great for day to day tasks, the ability to extract data to feed in to other reporting platforms make it mo much richer as a product.
  • Not necessarily a dislike of OnCommand per se but I do dislike that you have to still use different flavors of this tool to get a holistic view of every aspect of your NetApp - System Manager, Performance Manager, Unified Manager etc
  • The initial process to connect to a filer probably could do with a little more friendly documentation as the format for filer name (or IP) and whether and SNMP string is required etc is not clear.
  • The ability for more complete search capability within the logs (so therefore not having to extract them to work with them) would be an advantage for the timely resolution of faults.
I feel like this tool is well suited where you have a relatively small footprint in terms of NetApp devices so they can be easily managed via this tool. I would say that anything over maybe 4 filers and tools like Performance Manager and System Manager come in to their own a little more.
Read Joe Cairns's full review

NetApp ONTAP System Manager Scorecard Summary

About NetApp ONTAP System Manager

NetApp ONTAP System Manager (formerly under the OnCommand brand) is a data storage management offering.