Reviews (1-2 of 2)
February 25, 2020
Score 9 out of 10
NetApp SnapMirror is being used in our environment as a disaster recovery tool. We use it to mirror NetApp volumes from one filer to another one in a remote location. This ensures that we have a relatively current (depending on SnapMirror schedules) backup of the volume in another location in the event that our main NetApp filer is unavailable.
- Setting up SnapMirror and SnapMirror partners is extremely easy.
- Monitoring the SnapMirror volumes is extremely easy in the System Manager GUI.
- The volume size on the destination partner always has to be bigger than the source. This can get annoying. Not sure if they have made this automatic in future releases.
- When you break a SnapMirror to use the destination volume you have to redirect all requests to the new volume. This isn't really a con but it is something you need to think about.
NetApp SnapMirror is a no-brainer when it comes to retaining an offsite backup for disaster recovery purposes. The backbone of the product is the Snapshot technology built into NetApp technology. In my experience, the Snapshot/SnapMirror software has been flawless and very dependable. The only piece that I can see adding in the future is potentially connecting SnapMirror to the cloud as an additional backup destination.
Read Brandon Burch's full review
NetApp support has always been great. With the NetApp Auto-support system/web portal, the visibility into your NetApp storage is incredible. There have been times when I've been contacted by them for an issue that I haven't even discovered yet. For example, I received a call 20 minutes after a drive failed in our filer. I hadn't checked my email at that time and therefore didn't see the alert.
August 10, 2018
Score 7 out of 10
It is being used for Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity by our the whole organization. We are a Health Care Co. SnapMirror in conjunction with VMWare SRM to provide failover and testing of our critical production as well as test virtual servers and applications. NetApp SnapMirror also helps us address the issue of backing up systems and recovery within 4 hours RTO and provides faster RPO. We are a long-term customer with over 5 years of experience with NetApp in production and development at our company.
- Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity are strong areas where NetApp SnapMirror exceeds by providing multiple recovery options without the need for additional software or degrading network performance.
- Pro: Stability in storage we have had these in place for 3 years and besides a failed disk, there have been no issues.
- Pro: Replication options are pretty good
- Pro: Storage Provisioning as well as a wealth of features that are an additional add-on for competitors
- Cons: Support is lacking in customer service and being proactive of system alerts and errors
- Cons: the Learning curve. Easy to make mistakes using the user interface as it does lack functionality.
Read this authenticated review
It is ideal for small and large organizations that have a variety of different business scenarios and locations regarding disparate IT System and complex BCDR Plans. It is flexible and can grow. Once you get past the initial learning curve and user interface, it is a rock solid and dependable solution.