NetBeans is a free and open source platform and integrated development environment (IDE).https://media.trustradius.com/product-logos/PH/Jm/5MXBVL8XD5C2.pngThe best for web developmentWe have been using NetBeans for around 5 years in our organization. The major purpose of its use is for students, as we make students learn Java using NetBeans. It is used by the computer science and engineering department of the university. It is very helpful in the development field and makes programming easy and user-friendly. It can be integrated with multiple tools like IoT selenium for testing and development. NetBeans addresses the major problem of coding in Java with test cases design.,NetBeans is very efficient in code development and Java web development. NetBeans is a great tool to install as it is quite easy to use. Its integration is great with other tools. NetBeans is very good for the creation of testing scripts for automation testing.,Options for code conversion in other source languages. There are problems in code execution time and start time if they are high complexity and too heavy. Import code option is very limited and debugger is less efficient.,10,It helps students learn to code. It is free, so it doesn't add any business costs.,9,8,Eclipse and AspDotNetStorefront,Visual Studio IDE, Docker, GitHub, Oracle Access ManagementNetBeans ReviewNetBeans is used for development purposes in our organization by the IT department. At first, we used a different IDE for software development like Sublime Editor and Eclipse but I made a decision to use Netbeans as it is fast and has many features which a developer needs no matter which technology he/she is working on.,Formatting and defining rules for each language is a very useful feature in this IDE. The code can be deployed very easy from Netbeans itself.,It should provide more themes and background colors for the code window. Some dark themes are good but they slow down the system. There have been a few bugs in the latest version of NetBeans. NetBean's developer should resolve those bugs.,7,By working on Netbeans I just learned one more tool and can teach others about it. One should learn every tool so that it might help someday if another editor is not available and you have to use different software for your work. Compiling code became easy as it is not a feature of normal text editors. Only IDE can do this.,Eclipse, Sublime Text, gedit, UltraEdit, CoffeeCup HTML Editor, CoffeeCup Responsive Email Designer, BlueFish and Brackets,gedit, Sublime Text, CoffeeCup Responsive Email Designer, CoffeeCup HTML Editor, BlueFish, Brackets, Eclipse, Aruba Networks Wireless LAN (WLAN), 1CRM, Cisco Routers, Cisco Cloud Email Security, Cisco Data Center Network Manager, MikroTik Routers and Switches, Google Analytics, Google Hangouts, Google Cloud Dataflow, Google Cloud Datastore, Microsoft Network Monitor, Microsoft Data Protection Manager, Windows Server, Avira Antivirus, Total Defense Anti-Virus, AVG AntiVirus Business EditionIf you are developer, install NetBeans now...!I and my colleagues, as software developers, use NetBeans IDE for our development purposes. It is only used by our technical department as it's an IDE and used for small development to major projects. Our team relies on NetBeans for coding, indentation of code, Git commits, debugging issues, minifying code and everything.,We can indent code very easily, we can define rules for the indentation of code in every computer language and it will follow accordingly. The checkpoints in the code really work well in case if we want to debug issues in our code. History of our saved code is really one of the best feature of NetBeans. Sometimes due to power failure or any other glitches we have lost our saved code but history of code really helped our team. Comparison of code across different files is also a good feature to know the exact difference between code of different developers.,NetBeans [should] work smoothly with systems having less RAM. Systems with less RAM face trouble with NetBeans. File open history also requires improvement. Once NetBeans is restarted, all files are closed automatically and there is no shortcut to open last opened files.,10,It changed my way of coding. In my early days of development I never indented code, but with NetBeans my coding way has changed. One IDE for all languages. I can write code in PHP, HTML, CSS, and JavaScript in only one editor or IDE.,Atom, Sublime Text, Eclipse, Microsoft Visual Studio Code and Notepad++,OpenCart, PrestaShop, Magento Open Source, Shopify, WordPress, Jira Service Desk, Google BigQuery, Google Charts, Google Analytics, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Slack, HubSpot, Mailigen, MailChimp, Atom, Eclipse, Notepad++, Sublime Text, Microsoft Visual Studio Code, BrowserStackRecommended Best IDE - NetBeansNet beans is an open source IDE that provides comprehensive facilities for programmers for software development. It consists of a source code editor, built-in automation tools. It allows developers to create multiple projects for mobile, web applications with support of multiple languages support like JAVA, PHP, HTML, CSS etc. It offers us a smart and fast way to develop a project and code. It provides robust code analyzers, converter, and editor. It is compatible with every operating system and can be installed very easily. It stores the history of codes so that you can check the last piece of code what you’ve written. Formatting and defining rules for each language. The best part is it is free of cost. The software is compatible with all operating platforms.,Supports multiple languages which help in coding for developers. Support cross-platform like Mac, Ubuntu, Windows etc. Rich set of community provided plugins. Easy & efficient project management. Bug free formatted code and much more.,Heavy software needs more RAM. It does tend to use a lot of your computer's resources if you're loading up a huge project and slow things down. Problems with configuring plugins. With every release of a new version, there are some bugs which create problems while coding.,8,Bug free coding. Well formatted code and readable easily for other developers. Support multiple languages so it shows an error if the code is wrongly written. Supports Git which helps for deployment to production.,Sublime Text, Notepad++ and Atom,Sublime Text, Atom, Notepad++NetBeans, everything you need for JavaI use NetBeans to write small Java applications that help me to fill in gaps in our CaaS vendor's reporting tools. What business problem does it address? It's an integrated development environment that I use to write code, manage code projects and remote repositories.,Integrating with GitHub is easy and painless Code completion Error detection and debugging,NetBeans for Java 9+ does not have an installer currently I've only managed to automate half my job,10,It's free, so all positive. The hard number here is zero.,Visual Studio IDE, IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse,Visual Studio IDE, IntelliJ IDEA, EclipseNetBeans: Best free and open-source software for developmentIt is being used by my department involving a group of skilled programmers. This programming environment has several tools that help my organisation to develop software quickly, especially if we need to build a graphical interface quickly and without major complications. I basically work on NetBeans to develop enterprise web applications using Java Server Pages, Java Server Faces and Hibernate. NetBeans makes the work [become] handy and the code is easily understandable and readable.,NetBeans supports a large number of Java applications such as J2SE and EJB. Easy to install Free and open source When you are developing your applications, you can detect errors very quickly. Indicating edited code and files based on GIT commits,Outdated framework support. Violating PSR-2 coding standards. The issue with NetBeans is that it takes a lot of time to load and consumes a lot of memory. Consumes more memory space as compared to other IDEs.,7,I use NeatBeans 8.2 as my standard IDE for Java development, mostly desktop applications. Although I have installed other IDEs, I like NetBeans IDE for its simplicity of use and fast loading. Unfortunately, it has lost attention nowadays but I'm sure with some small updates to support popular frameworks and 2-3 new features like a fancy user interface, reduced time consumption during execution of code, etc., [it will improve]. NetBeans helps me to reduce time to develop front-end using Swing GUI tool which is just a drag and drop to build user interface.,Eclipse CMS, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA and Oracle Java SE,Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA, Oracle Java SEBest open source IDEIt's being used as the main IDE for any Java, PHP, HTML, CSS and Javascript development. We love their licensing and also many developers have a lot of experience with this application, so they don't need to learn new tools and start using their knowledge. NetBeans lets developers code applications faster and it reduces errors by alerting them to any possible issue. This IDE includes a lot of tools that help developers to stay in a single app for their work instead of switching between apps during their workflow.,It supports multiple programming languages, so you can code frontend code and backend code in the same app. There's no need to switch to other apps or go to the console to execute things. If you need to guarantee that your PHP application is OK and without any errors, NetBeans includes tools and support for external tools to do code quality reviews, interpreter errors, version compatibility, etc. If you are doing multi-platform development, NetBeans can share its config between OSs so you can switch to another OS and do your job with the same configuration.,Main problem is its performance, JAVA IDEs are great but heavy and slow on older machines, and sometimes you'll feel like editing files is slow. Netbean can include tools or develop plugins to add compatibility with multiple PHP frameworks and WordPress installation so you can develop better apps. It should add better support for custom formatting so you can format your code with custom rules.,10,Increase productivity by offering multiple tools from a single app Applications are more secure and stable thanks to their quaility tools and error syntax messages, and language error notifications. Their only downside is that it runs on the JVM so it cannot be used on older hardware.,PhpStorm and Visual Studio IDE,PhpStorm, Visual Studio IDEExcellent integrated development environmentNetBeans is being used by the entire organization that works in a software consultancy and we are all software developers. It helps us programmers since it is a very useful IDE and its compilation is in real time. Allows us to do many activities in a single application, such as unit tests with JUnit version control with CVS and integration with Ant, which is very useful and decreases the delivery time of the work. You can also add the add-in to provide more features. It is a lightweight platform for software components.,Excellent tool for programming and very useful to use has helped me reduce the delivery times of small projects. It is a good IDE to program in Java and shows compilation errors during the programs. Has utility for many add-ons to generate web services.,Its biggest con is the consumption of system resources because it does not work for old computers. It is developed for people who are already professionals and not beginners because the learning curve is wide. It lacks support for webapps. But actually, I have nothing bad to say about NetBeans.,9,It has had a positive impact, as it is powerful and offers facilities to simplify development. It helps us to reduce the time of projects since it is like an all-in-one IDE for different programming languages. I am a developer that needs to develop back-end applications and when using NetBeans it is easier. Also, the drag-and-drop function helps me in the development of back-end. Its debugging function is easier than others. That helps me and everyone in the organization, which makes our customers more satisfied and that makes us achieve our business goals successfully and quickly.,Eclipse,Apache Cordova, GitHub, Gitlab, TeamViewer, JIRA Software, Skype for BusinessNetBeans IDE for Java DevelopersWe use NetBeans for developing the majority of Java and J2EE applications for our organizations, and also to assist in programming different applications for organizations/clients we work for. It mostly addresses rich User Interface applications that have abundant/involves language support and server side programming, like rest service, data storage, communicating with third party interfaces, and more..,Very good IDE for programming Java and J2EE applications Good IDE for Java debugging and run test cases. Good IDE for Hibernate, iBATIS framework, and web services.,I would say Netbeans needs to be improved in providing plugins for developing Android and iOS mobile applications It would be better if Netbeans could be built in a lighter version.,7,It is open source and has dedicated support availability, which is a definite a plus point for any organization. It can also be connected with reporting tools like Zira for tracking purposes, which is again a plus point.,Eclipse,Microsoft SQL ServerWhy Use NetBeans for PHP?It saves a lot of time in development. First thing I like syntax checking which saves a lot of time of code inspection for finding errors. Also, it provides a lot of shortcuts to jump which we usually do while coding and most interesting thing is its auto detection of references in the code, it makes our understanding to code very fast and efficient. Few more things, you cannot ignore are Difference checker - very very accurate. It address our problems of code merging very efficiently Sub version support - it changes color of files in files menu or tab, that is useful in getting information of updated files visually. Plugins support for various frameworks. Searching in folders etc,Provide a way to go to definition of object or methods called in derived class or anywhere. It makes our understanding of code very easy. Difference checker - extremely well and better than meld. Auto Syntax checking,Searching should be fast. Launch (boot) time of netbeans is slow. Should inherit some features of sublime, like auto code completion and selection of text in column style. It is larger in size with respect to other editors.,8,Increase productivity by auto suggest Decrease debugging time with its features like syntax checking Code merging is very useful while comparing branches,sublime and notepad plus plus,Microsoft Visual Studio Team System, Adobe Photoshop, C2 ATOMNetbeans gives you the power to developEach developer in our organization runs a local instance of Netbeans. We use it for the primary IDE for our PHP applications. It has many tools that help improve the ability of our developers to write good code and to access resources related to the projects they are working on. Each developer can customize many aspects of the software to suit their unique styles and likes.,PHP code suggestions Maintain references between projects, classes, and functions Many customizable key board shortcuts,Integrations with third party applications,8,Helped to improve use of developer time with built in tools,Dreamweaver and Visual Studio IDENetBeans for the PHP developerI use Netbeans as an individual for PHP MySQL code development to maintain scheduling and data entry systems. I have the program installed on my work laptop as well as my personal computers for private projects.,Great code completion, just start typing some code and the program will fill in the code. Find/Replace is a key feature and works through whole projects as opposed to just a single file. Side by side code comparison right in the interface allows me to update similar pages. I appreciate the ease of using variable highlighting, with a wave of the mouse you can see visually where a given variable exists in your code.,Sometimes the code hints are a little intrusive and need to be 'turned off', I like my code to pass inspection but situations like 'too many nested blocks' prevent previously functioning code to pass new versions of the program hints. If you have too many projects open, Netbeans takes quite a while to load. I need to go grab a cup of tea and come back. As a result, I jealously guard how many projects are open at a time. Code completion and PHP platform function helps can occasionally be more of a curse than a blessing. Constant 'pop ups' of hints, suggestions make coding a bit aggravating, I do not actually turn it off, but am tempted.,9,Since Netbeans is free, any use is a plus on the bottom line. Netbeans just gets the job done so I can crank out the projects. Program updates can cause some admin time to get hints and program features back to preferred settings, this is a pain.,Eclipse and Notepad++,OneNote, Microsoft SQL Server,Code completion. Find/Replace either in a file or full project. Variable highlighting is easy, just wave the mouse over a variable and the color codes show all instances along the right. Validation of code works well, if the box is red, the code will fail to run, usually highlighting the offending line. I love the history tab to roll back code to a previous working copy and see where changes occurred. Source formatting is just a click and voila, my code looks like I know what I am doing!,Program updates are a pain, usually requiring some admin time to get things running correctly again. Side by side comparison should allow code copies both ways, not just right to left. Occasionally 'find in projects' has a bug and does not locate code that I know is there, even requiring restarting to get it back.,8A Powerful Tool for building enterprise Java applicationsMost of the coding is done through Netbeans. Netbeans provides you with the set of tools which makes it easier to code. The intellisense feature of it allows coders to type in code and netbeans automatically shows you a list of functions from which you can select. Netbeans is a free and an open source software, which helps in collaborating with others.,Good for Collaboration Open Source Good for Debugging and Testing Code,Should have more add-ons on the latest technologies like Angular and ReactJS The software occupies lots of space and works very slow on computers having i3 processor Netbeans provide only one view unlike Eclipse,7,Positive on Java based applications Neutral on projects which don't use Java as the fundamental language Hard to use Netbeans as it lacks support for the latest web technologies,Eclipse,Drupal, Apache Maven, AppDynamicsNetBeans - Great JAVA IDEWe use Netbeans as our primary IDE for developing our cloud-based software suite.,Great java IDE. Supports many other languages and technologies through plugin framework. Integration with SVN and GIT. Integration with JEE servers.,Sometimes the IDE gets frozen after the monitor is turned off from being idle. Doesn't handle different monitor resolutions well.,8,A very good IDE and is free.,Eclipse,Visual Studio.NET, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), XamarinSimple but effectiveIt's used for Java programming primarily by members of software development department. It's also used by some consultants for small tasks. It helps with the development of software and completing of tasks that require Java language to be used.,Maven integration, easy to create and open projects without external plugins. Available plugins, they are easy to install and there are lot of plugins that improve usage. Good UI, clean but has lot of information. Easy to get started with.,Gradle integration requires third party plugin. Speed. Code completion could be faster. You often have to wait until the IDE comes up with suggestions. Sometimes IDE has to be restarted until it removes "red underlines" from UI. It doesn't seem to always refresh properly after code has been corrected.,8,It has had a positive impact on getting tasks done on time because of features and plugins that remove the need of spending time on configuration tasks. It's free but still comes with all the needed features. No need to spend time on getting licenses.,Eclipse,Visual Studio.NETUnspecified
NetBeans
<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring' target='_blank' rel='nofollow noopener noreferrer'>trScore algorithm: Learn more.</a>TRScore

NetBeans Reviews

NetBeans

Do you work for this company?

Jatin Gupta profile photo
  • NetBeans is very efficient in code development and Java web development.
  • NetBeans is a great tool to install as it is quite easy to use. Its integration is great with other tools.
  • NetBeans is very good for the creation of testing scripts for automation testing.
  • Options for code conversion in other source languages.
  • There are problems in code execution time and start time if they are high complexity and too heavy.
  • Import code option is very limited and debugger is less efficient.
It is very well suited for big databases and with algorithms the complexity involved is low. It is also very suitable for working with IoT devices and to control code and automation testing.
Read Jatin Gupta's full review
Piyush Jain profile photo
January 23, 2019

NetBeans Review

• Formatting and defining rules for each language is a very useful feature in this IDE.
  • The code can be deployed very easy from Netbeans itself.
  • It should provide more themes and background colors for the code window. Some dark themes are good but they slow down the system.
  • There have been a few bugs in the latest version of NetBeans. NetBean's developer should resolve those bugs.
NetBeans are well suited if it is used by the same type of developers like Java developers or the same language developers. If a team has an IOS developer or Android developer they have to use Xcode or Android Studio Editor.
Read Piyush Jain's full review
  • We can indent code very easily, we can define rules for the indentation of code in every computer language and it will follow accordingly.
  • The checkpoints in the code really work well in case if we want to debug issues in our code.
  • History of our saved code is really one of the best feature of NetBeans. Sometimes due to power failure or any other glitches we have lost our saved code but history of code really helped our team.
  • Comparison of code across different files is also a good feature to know the exact difference between code of different developers.
  • NetBeans [should] work smoothly with systems having less RAM. Systems with less RAM face trouble with NetBeans.
  • File open history also requires improvement. Once NetBeans is restarted, all files are closed automatically and there is no shortcut to open last opened files.
It is best suited for if we are working with Git. We can push code to Git services directly from IDE. It can indent code differently based on language whether its Java, PHP, HTML, CSS or any other. It is less appropriate for front-end web developers as they just want normal text editors and all features of NetBeans are of no use to web developers.
  • Supports multiple languages which help in coding for developers.
  • Support cross-platform like Mac, Ubuntu, Windows etc.
  • Rich set of community provided plugins.
  • Easy & efficient project management.
  • Bug free formatted code and much more.
  • Heavy software needs more RAM. It does tend to use a lot of your computer's resources if you're loading up a huge project and slow things down.
  • Problems with configuring plugins.
  • With every release of a new version, there are some bugs which create problems while coding.
NetBeans is well suited for developers as it consists of features which are used a lot of time while coding. Best features where it is suited are:
  • 1. Cross-platform support.
  • 2. Multiple Language support.
  • 3, Debugger.
  • 4. Product management.
  • 5. Code editor.
  • 6. Free of cost - open source IDE These features may or may not be found in any other software. NetBeans offers assistance to optimize memory usage and application speed.
  • Integrating with GitHub is easy and painless
  • Code completion
  • Error detection and debugging
  • NetBeans for Java 9+ does not have an installer currently
  • I've only managed to automate half my job
It's great for anyone who coding in Java or other JVM languages. Visual Studio is better for .net languages and cpp.
Ashish Sharma profile photo
  • NetBeans supports a large number of Java applications such as J2SE and EJB.
  • Easy to install
  • Free and open source
  • When you are developing your applications, you can detect errors very quickly.
  • Indicating edited code and files based on GIT commits
  • Outdated framework support.
  • Violating PSR-2 coding standards.
  • The issue with NetBeans is that it takes a lot of time to load and consumes a lot of memory.
  • Consumes more memory space as compared to other IDEs.
If you are a beginner, then NetBeans IDE is the best choice for you for development in Java, Javascript, PHP etc. It is a software that allows quick adaptation for new projects or people who do not know much about development. I fully recommend NetBeans IDE; with additional plugins installed it can be used for development with other programming languages.
Read Ashish Sharma's full review
Miguel Useche profile photo
September 01, 2018

Best open source IDE

• It supports multiple programming languages, so you can code frontend code and backend code in the same app. There's no need to switch to other apps or go to the console to execute things.
  • If you need to guarantee that your PHP application is OK and without any errors, NetBeans includes tools and support for external tools to do code quality reviews, interpreter errors, version compatibility, etc.
  • If you are doing multi-platform development, NetBeans can share its config between OSs so you can switch to another OS and do your job with the same configuration.
  • Main problem is its performance, JAVA IDEs are great but heavy and slow on older machines, and sometimes you'll feel like editing files is slow.
  • Netbean can include tools or develop plugins to add compatibility with multiple PHP frameworks and WordPress installation so you can develop better apps.
  • It should add better support for custom formatting so you can format your code with custom rules.
NetBeans is a great developer if you work with multiple parts of a web application, like if you need to create a view, then business logic code, connect to the database, check any API calls, etc. You can do all of these things in NetBeans, there's no need to install additional tools.

Also, I think it offers the best debugger tool. It supports PHP out of the box and you can find problems faster and simpler with these tools.

Their UI is simpler, easy to customize and intuitive.
Read Miguel Useche's full review
Carla Borges profile photo
  • Excellent tool for programming and very useful to use has helped me reduce the delivery times of small projects.
  • It is a good IDE to program in Java and shows compilation errors during the programs.
  • Has utility for many add-ons to generate web services.
  • Its biggest con is the consumption of system resources because it does not work for old computers.
  • It is developed for people who are already professionals and not beginners because the learning curve is wide.
  • It lacks support for webapps.
  • But actually, I have nothing bad to say about NetBeans.
It runs smoothly. Those of us who work with the development of programs should have it on the PC. Excellent tool for programming and very useful to use has helped me reduce the delivery times of small projects. It is a good IDE to program in Java and shows compilation errors during the programs. In terms of what is not so appropriate is that as it progresses, new versions need more computer requirements - this makes the application fly slow when compiling large codes.
Read Carla Borges's full review

• Very good IDE for programming Java and J2EE applications
  • Good IDE for Java debugging and run test cases.
  • Good IDE for Hibernate, iBATIS framework, and web services.
  • I would say Netbeans needs to be improved in providing plugins for developing Android and iOS mobile applications
  • It would be better if Netbeans could be built in a lighter version.
As said earlier, NetBeans is very well suited for all kind of Java and J2EE application programming. Also this product has good integration and built-in plugins that support various framework like Spring, Hibernate, Struts, and more.

Less appropriate to be used for developing mobile applications that do not support plugins for both Android and iOS.
dinesh audichya profile photo
November 20, 2017

Why Use NetBeans for PHP?

Plugins support for various frameworks.

Searching in folders etc
  • Provide a way to go to definition of object or methods called in derived class or anywhere. It makes our understanding of code very easy.
  • Difference checker - extremely well and better than meld.
  • Auto Syntax checking
  • Searching should be fast.
  • Launch (boot) time of netbeans is slow.
  • Should inherit some features of sublime, like auto code completion and selection of text in column style.
  • It is larger in size with respect to other editors.
For Java, NetBeans best provides syntax checking, execution and difference checking, complete list of methods or functions etc. But it lacks in quick access to documentation to explore its features. Also, for HTML it is not well suited as doesn't provide preview. Also, you cannot use it for any language like we see in notepad plus plus. So, for python i will need to use different editor even I just want to see python code in proper coloring.
Read dinesh audichya's full review
  • PHP code suggestions
  • Maintain references between projects, classes, and functions
  • Many customizable key board shortcuts
  • Integrations with third party applications
We use it primary for development in half a dozen separate PHP applications. We have common projects that span all of the applications. Netbeans does a good job helping to keep track of all of the relationships and dependencies.
Andy Erickson profile photo
  • Great code completion, just start typing some code and the program will fill in the code.
  • Find/Replace is a key feature and works through whole projects as opposed to just a single file.
  • Side by side code comparison right in the interface allows me to update similar pages.
  • I appreciate the ease of using variable highlighting, with a wave of the mouse you can see visually where a given variable exists in your code.
  • Sometimes the code hints are a little intrusive and need to be 'turned off', I like my code to pass inspection but situations like 'too many nested blocks' prevent previously functioning code to pass new versions of the program hints.
  • If you have too many projects open, Netbeans takes quite a while to load. I need to go grab a cup of tea and come back. As a result, I jealously guard how many projects are open at a time.
  • Code completion and PHP platform function helps can occasionally be more of a curse than a blessing. Constant 'pop ups' of hints, suggestions make coding a bit aggravating, I do not actually turn it off, but am tempted.

I use Netbeans for full projects setting up a complete project by clicking 'add new project' and following the wizards. If I am just coding up a test page, it is less involved to use Notepad++. Netbeans has full database connectivity and I rarely use it, but it seems to work well when I do, I prefer a dedicated database program for that aspect of my work.

Running find and replace on an existing project is great, the interface allows you to include or exclude files and lines with checkboxes. I have tried other solutions and always come back to Netbeans for this feature.

I like the side by side file comparison and use it regularly, the only downside is that it is a one way transfer, left to right. Other programs like Winmerge allow updating either way.

I have previously used the in program browser, but find it to be a bit buggy after program updates, so I quit trying to use the browser and keep an instance of FireFox running to test the code. The same goes for the debugger, I use it occasionally and probably could try to use it more, mostly I use something like FireBug to debug the final code problems.

Read Andy Erickson's full review
  • Good for Collaboration
  • Open Source
  • Good for Debugging and Testing Code
  • Should have more add-ons on the latest technologies like Angular and ReactJS
  • The software occupies lots of space and works very slow on computers having i3 processor
  • Netbeans provide only one view unlike Eclipse
It's best suited for collaboration. It is suitable for developing and testing enterprise Java applications. It has good debugging and testing strategies. The only drawback is debugging is very slow in Netbeans in comparison to Eclipse. It doesn't contain only Java as the coding language. It contains support for various others but is limited to the latest web development technologies.
  • Great java IDE.
  • Supports many other languages and technologies through plugin framework.
  • Integration with SVN and GIT.
  • Integration with JEE servers.
  • Sometimes the IDE gets frozen after the monitor is turned off from being idle.
  • Doesn't handle different monitor resolutions well.
Great as a java IDE. Great development integration capabilities. Good as long as everyone on the team is using it. If you have a mix of IDE's that developers are using, it can create challenges.
March 07, 2017

Simple but effective

• Maven integration, easy to create and open projects without external plugins.
  • Available plugins, they are easy to install and there are lot of plugins that improve usage.
  • Good UI, clean but has lot of information. Easy to get started with.
  • Gradle integration requires third party plugin.
  • Speed. Code completion could be faster. You often have to wait until the IDE comes up with suggestions.
  • Sometimes IDE has to be restarted until it removes "red underlines" from UI. It doesn't seem to always refresh properly after code has been corrected.
NetBeans is suited perfectly for all kinds of Java development. It comes integrated with lots of features that are required in professional software development so you can spend more time getting things done and less time configuring your IDE. It's also good for new developers due to a clean UI and ability to get started with new or existing projects quickly. Perhaps for other languages, other IDEs may suit better, but for Java development, NetBeans is always a reliable choice.

About NetBeans