Custom Near-Real-Time Operational MetricsI use New Relic Insights to get near real-time (1 minute delay) analytics and specific data points on production traffic. This has enabled rapid discovery of bugs in production, analysis of anomalies and security issues in modern browsers (recently discovered a new Safari bug as a result of Insights). Insights has been an invaluable part of my production service creation process--everything from operational metrics to creation of custom dashboards that display data for the groups wanting to see their integrations. We've used it for QA analysis as well with great success. The Node.js library that automatically integrates with common frameworks has made integration a snap--so implementing it has been so simple, it's a default process.,Custom dashboard creation Near real-time reporting of custom data Integration with Node.js Visualization graphs/charts,Improving the maximum samples and payload from Node.js (it is currently tedious to manually manage the scaling of transactional data)--I've had to minimize my data keys to 1-3 characters to reduce the transactional payload size, which the library and API could do for me (key compression). Also, it could dynamically change the sample rate or how frequently it hits the API to fix the 1MB every 1 second restriction (I have to run more processes than needed, just to get full Insights coverage). Search and replace of a query value for the entire dashboard (it's currently tedious to go through all dashboards and queries to update NRQL queries if something changes in how we log data. Duplicating a dashboard with all queries but with one value changed (this would be super useful for creating custom client dashboards where only one element of the queries for the whole dashboard is different between them--but where I want to generate a dozen or more charts)--also would be great for creating dashboards based on environment (same queries, different appName). Being able to set notification triggers/alerts on insights queries would be awesome--I have some custom queries that I would love to be notified if/when they become anomalous.,10,It's helped me assure customers that integration is successful within a couple of minutes after integration going live--this is huge! I've been able to find bugs and security issues (with browsers) more rapidly than ever before, which has made our software more robust and secure. Being able to visualize the peaks and valleys of traffic while querying custom attributes to see what kinds of browser, clients, and other traffic patterns are playing a role has been crucial to the operational integrity of one of my products.,Datadog,Atlassian Confluence, JIRA Software, GitHub, Gitlab
New Relic Insights

New Relic Insights Reviews

New Relic Insights
Filter 11 vetted New Relic Insights reviews and ratings
Adam Eivy profile photo
April 05, 2017

New Relic Insights Review: "Custom Near-Real-Time Operational Metrics"

• Custom dashboard creation
  • Near real-time reporting of custom data
  • Integration with Node.js
  • Visualization graphs/charts
  • Improving the maximum samples and payload from Node.js (it is currently tedious to manually manage the scaling of transactional data)--I've had to minimize my data keys to 1-3 characters to reduce the transactional payload size, which the library and API could do for me (key compression). Also, it could dynamically change the sample rate or how frequently it hits the API to fix the 1MB every 1 second restriction (I have to run more processes than needed, just to get full Insights coverage).
  • Search and replace of a query value for the entire dashboard (it's currently tedious to go through all dashboards and queries to update NRQL queries if something changes in how we log data.
  • Duplicating a dashboard with all queries but with one value changed (this would be super useful for creating custom client dashboards where only one element of the queries for the whole dashboard is different between them--but where I want to generate a dozen or more charts)--also would be great for creating dashboards based on environment (same queries, different appName).
  • Being able to set notification triggers/alerts on insights queries would be awesome--I have some custom queries that I would love to be notified if/when they become anomalous.
Getting real-time (nearly) operational metrics has allowed me to see outages before Google Cloud alerting reports them. Additionally, creating client dashboards so your customers can see the operational metrics of your service is a great way to share that integration is successful without having to generate custom reports manually.

Where it isn't so useful is if you need to join multiple queries--everything in Insights is indexed so that you can facet on each key, but you can't get an answer to a question that tries to join multiple queries very easily. Also, it can be prohibitively expensive to store Insights data long term--so I use a strategy of pushing everything to insights and to a long-term HDFS storage, which can be queried more robustly/cheaply for a longer period.
Read Adam Eivy's full review