View and Edit config files
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Notepad++, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
- Writing text
- finding text
- highlighting text
- simultaneous editing
- Just the UI part should be improved.
- It should have integration features with other apps.
- everything else is perfect.
- syntax highlighting
- multiple files opened at once in a tab view
- comparison view
- Provides you a great platform for coding.
- You can write and save any text messages or details related to your work.
- Notepad++ allows users to work with multiple files in a single window.
- Notepad++ has a dark theme which make my experience more joyful.
- They need more improvement in code debugging.
- Users can't install advance packets
- They can improve or make it a more interesting UI design for users.
- Sometimes I face slow startup.
- Multiple Languages Support
- Syntax Highlighting
- Plugins Support
- Regex Support
- Text Marking
- It does what it is made for without any problems. I can't think of anything that could be improved further.
- I used Notepad++ almost on daily basis for saving important files and programming code. The software is easy to use and GUI is user-friendly.
- An important feature is the autosave of information, no need to manually save the file.
- The replace option has an extended feature where you can make use of '/n' etc. Syntax highlighting and support for various languages; I had to deal with a lot of sql, C language and HTML files. This tool made my life easy.
- It is a Good IDE when we are using SQL. It will clearly show conditional formatting, loops, and other contents as required for avoiding compilation errors.
- Many times it is asking for an update, when I started the updated process, it will get hung.
- Opening files having a size of more than 100MB is also sometimes an issue. Except for these issues, the tool is really awesome.
- The UI looks a bit plain and outdated. It is not a full-fledged IDE and so it lacks support for code auto completion and formatting.
- Facilitation of code editing
- The function is easy to use
- Instances and Multi-Window
- Plugins make it even more potent
- Secret or particular characters will appear.
- No full-dark mode
- UI appears to be a bit out of date
- Issues with comparing files
- Opens large text files gracefully
- Makes it easy to jot notes and create simple text files
- Auto saving is a big deal in development and note taking, and it does it incredibly well, even without a saved location
- Easier splitview options
- Spreadsheet view
- It supports over 50 programming, scripting and markup languages.
- It has a completely customizable user interface. A tabbed interface is one of the best features of Notepad++.
- We can open several files, even with various language settings.
- The code syntax is highlighted when the file is saved with a specific file format, making it easy to edit the code.
- Another useful feature of Notepad++ is autosave.
- Notepad++ is an open-source code editor that is free to use.
- There's nothing about this tool that I don't like.
- Multi Window and Instances
- The added plugins make it an even more powerful tool
- Can become cluttered
- Look and feel could do with modernizing but does not affect functionality
- Auto Completion when Coding
- Add Multi Cursor
- Persistent tabs that save content even when shutting down the program or dreaded BSOD
- Vertical selection for multi-line deletes and edits
- Regular expression search & replace
- Quick conversion of encoding and newline characters
- Toggle word wrap and hidden characters
- Lots of plugin support
- Notifies if a file has been changed on disk by another app
- UI looks a bit dated.
- Sometimes the number of options are overwhelming and require a quick search to figure out where to locate a particular function.
- Some way to do a diff between files would be great. Still need to resort to another paid app for that - unless it is a buried function I don't know about or there's a plugin for it.
It is great for quick edits on copy & pasting pages of text. I would use it to update paths using vertical selection or through regex search & replace.
It is not a full IDE for any kind of code editing but it is very fast to open single code files, xml or json and is my preferred way to look at contents in these files rather than opening in a code editor.
- Same format as many coding programs.
- Easy to use
- Clear text for less confusion between 0 and O - that is an actual issue with some programs.
- Help support was great to work with!
- Feels dated, keeps it relevant but the text is very 1980s.
- A quick list for copying to a clipboard would be helpful if you are using multiple commands which happens often.
- Need to add auto save, when making changes this would be better like other programs who use it. Just create a quick toggle to use or not use.
View and Edit config files
I use it to view and edit .NET app configs and settings files. It has syntax highlighting for most common programming languages, JSON and SQL which is very useful.
Search for a string in all text files in a folder
I use this a lot when doing impact assessment for source codes. This feature is so powerful and easy to use.
Search and Replace special characters
You can search and replace special characters like \t, \r, \n. This feature is very useful when working with SQL statements.
Other frequently used features
Vertical text selection
- Search and Replace text in all files in a folder
- It is a multiple tab text editor, very fast
- Syntax Highlighting for most programming languages, SQL and JSON
- Vertical Text Selection, Join & Split Lines, Search and Replace with special characters, Support Plug-ins
- It can be used immediately without installation
- Last but not least, it's free
- None I can think of.
- Viewing and editing source codes where you don't have a suitable IDE.
- Viewing and editing config files (XML, JSON), SQL files.
- Extract data from Excel and build a SQL statement using Vertical Text selection and Search and Replace special characters.
- Performing impact assessment for a source codes using Find in Files.
Notepad++ is less appropriate in the following scenarios:
- Using it as an IDE. Please use a suitable IDE instead.
- Using it to open very large log files.
- File encoding
- Viewing special/hidden characters
- Full dark mode
- Integration with source control would be helpful
- Built-in compare (although available as an add-in)
- Multiple tabs open at once
- Column selection for find/replace is very useful for developers
- Auto-Save is really handy
- Convert case
- Predictive typing
- Colors for different parts of code (language vs variables)
- Nothing, this is a great product as is
- Fast and Lightweight: Opens quickly and can stay open without using much memory.
- Simple & Clean: Much faster and easier to use than other text editors, while being more robust than the standard Notepad App.
- Flexible: There are some handy plugins for text manipulation, programming, and more.
- While the UI is clean and simple, it's also dated. There are themes that can alter the appearance of the text editor itself, but the icons, tabs, etc. could use a bit of a facelift.
- Lack of useful autocompletion for coding while full-fledged IDEs or alternative code editors work fine, it would be nice to be able to write out some quick scripts with suggestions appearing as you type to speed things up.
- Compare - allows us to compare system files and license files that we use
- Coding - it automatically understands code type files and delineates them in an easy to read fashion.
- xml - it can open and organize xml files into an easy to read format
- search and replace - it is very fast
- plugins - it supports using plugins for various expanded functions, there are several hundred available
- the default save location is in the program folder, you can change this in settings
- some functions that you would think should be standard require plugins
- Line joining
- Search Replace
- Out of the box features can be enhanced
I allows our computer lab teachers an easy to use program for web code editing and teaching web code.
It allows my teammate in IT an simple notepad program for log viewing and working with web urls for our web filter.
It is also handy for writing scripts and creating simple csv lists.
- Easy to install and easy to use.
- You can edit most any programming language and create a huge variety of file times.
- It can highlight code once you save it as a particular file type. This makes it easier to edit your code and scripts.
- More aesthetically pleasing interface.
- More options for code testing.
It would be less appropriate for when you need a specific tool for coding that requires it to be tested and compiled.
- Manages colors for organizing software coding lines
- Tabbed pages so that you can manage code between different files
- Ability to open a new tab, don't name it, close the program, and open it back up with all the data still there.
- Settings could be organized better. Sometimes you have to dig down to find the right settings.
- Robust and full of features such as programming language specific settings
- Like being able to create new tabs, so I can easily go back to a prior project
- For a computer savvy person, its simple to use...simple menus, robust search features
- The ability to build and test macros, is more of a universal programming environment than a text editor
- I personally can't think of any room for improvement
- With its universal programming environment, a way to compile would be great
- Maybe a way to run code within the program instead? However there may be copyright issues
- Easy file read and write acess.
- Reads many file formats.
- Easy coding in multiple languages.
- Selecting a programming language should provide user with Auto fill syntax and validation with respective programming language.
- Should get in mobile with Dark Mode.
- Option to save in Google Drive or any storage where the files can be accessed anywhere.
- The auto-indentation allows us to more easily create/review code.
- Color-coding depending on which development language is being viewed is very helpful.
- The auto-saving feature is very helpful if you accidentally close the app or if your system crashes.
- The app becomes a bit unresponsive at times when opening large log files.
- Only works in Windows.
- It has a bit of an old application feel to it. It would be nice to have an updated more modern UI.
- Free and takes less amount of storage in order to install it.
- Code auto-complete and syntax highlight works for almost all the languages that it supports.
- Copying or cutting the data based on the number of characters in a row is also great.
- Lots of plugins available.
- Only text data can be saved unlike Microsoft One Note where we can paste the screenshots or any other format files along with the source links.
- It hangs while dealing with a large amount of data.
- The user interface is not so appealing. It would be great if Dark mode also available.
- Easy to use.
- Expand it using plugins.
- Plugin admin could be easier to navigate.
- Dark-mode (which is very popular) should exist.
- Supports more than 60 programming/scripting languages.
- Nothing I can think of