April 02, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
Oasis montaj was the first gravimetric analysis software I used as a geoscientist. It is a great tool for gravimetric processing and mostly for making subsurface models of the geologic crystaline basement in several directions, so you can have a general idea of the subsurface information that can be complemented or have a useful tool for combining seismic reflection data.
- Geological basement modeling both in 2D and in 3D.
- Processing and quality control on geophysical, geochemical and geological data.
- Data both in the database or uploaded is provided through a spreadsheet and an integrated profile display window, so it is extremely easy to visualize the information or modify it.
- The learning curve can be a little steep at first.
- It is an expensive software, so there are several alternative options that require more programming but are cheaper or free.
- It requires lots of processing power for it to work smoothly.
Read Manuel Aguilar's full review
As I mention throughout the review, Oasis montaj shines both for processing and visualizing data while working with gravimetric data . It's 2D and 3D geologic basement models can be really detailed and, depending on the interpreter, can be really accurate. Plus, they can serve as an excellent tool for oil exploration when integrating them with seismic and well log information. Since it is an expensive software, small companies or universities with low budgets would be better using other programming tools.