Score 8.9 out of 10

What is OmniFocus?

OmniFocus is a project management platform for iOS: Mac, iPad, and iPhone. It has features such as task management, Siri capture, and workflow automation.

• Task Management (12)
    10.0
  • Mobile Access (12)
    9.9
  • Scheduling (10)
    9.9
  • Resource Management (7)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of OmniFocus, and make your voice heard!

Web Add-On Subscription

Cross-Platform Subscription

per month

OmniFocus 3 Standalone (Mac only)

Features

Project Management

Project management software provides capabilities to streamline management of complex projects through task management, team collaboration and workflow automation

7.9Avg 7.8

Professional Services Automation

Features that support professional services organizations

2.7Avg 7.7

What is OmniFocus?

OmniFocus Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android

Reviewers rate Task Management and Support for Agile Methodology highest, with a score of 10.

The most common users of OmniFocus are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Attribute Ratings

Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
OmniFocus is great for power users - if you're someone who's managing multiple projects at once, or a combo of work and home projects, it's the best at keeping you organized. If you're more of a daily task person, someone who just wants to know what has to be done that day and you don't catalog long term projects, then it's probably too much for you.
I'm a big fan of OmniFocus for task management. It's my go-to task manager, and is very useful for those that have bought into the Mac and iOS ecosystem, as all my tasks quickly sync between my MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad. Obviously this means it's not as good of a choice for web or Windows users.

OmniFocus uses their own server to sync, and although it works great and I haven't had any issues with it, it's strange that they choose not to use iCloud syncing.

Overall, I highly recommend OmniFocus for Mac/iOS users.
If someone is in the Apple ecosystem, it's the best choice. Far beyond a simple task manager, OmniFocus is the only software I've found that can reliably track every aspect of one's life. If I want anything in my life to be different than it currently is, there's a place for it in OmniFocus.
Ryan Stasel | TrustRadius Reviewer
For those that are Mac users and iOS users, I recommend OmniFocus regularly if they have the budget to cover it. It's a great tool, and I use it daily. The biggest hurdle isn't the software, but getting in the habit of using it. This is true for ANY task/time management, even on paper.
Brian Bliss | TrustRadius Reviewer
I think OmniFocus does a nice job in the area of brainstorming and getting projects and ideas out of your head and into a usable form. Depending on the extent of your project, OmniFocus could be a good help for some initial organization of your thoughts and ideas. For some, it might be overkill and something more straightforward like Todoist or Drafts might do the trick.
Che Odom | TrustRadius Reviewer
I believe that OmniFocus is well suited as a personal organizational tool and can be encouraged to be used through organizations, although mandating use is difficult because of its lack of usability on multiple platforms (Windows, Linux, etc.). I believe that it helps to beat procrastination by giving a place to accurately enter and understand the projects that you have on your plate, and break them down into small achievable tasks. I also think it is a great way to ensure that things don't just disappear from memory after a meeting or discussion. If you simply write down notes in a meeting but never reflect on them, for example, to enter into OmniFocus or revisit them, it is easy to forget that the tasks require your attention.
Shirin Elkoshairi | TrustRadius Reviewer
OmniFocus is great for a single user setting. If you'd like to organize your work and home life, you won't find anything better. It can track projects by step, date, subject, context, category (home, work, hobby). It's not suited for team use if you need to collaborate on specific projects together, however, for the solo worker or a person that manages a project and doles out the tasks, it's quite powerful.
John Rougeux | TrustRadius Reviewer
OmniFocus is good for "power users" who favor a system that's fast over one that's pretty. It has a little bit of a learning curve, so it's probably overkill for simple task management. However, if you're willing to invest the time in learning OmniFocus and customizing it to suit your needs, it works quite well. I'd especially recommend it for someone who struggles with losing track of ideas and requests, and needs a good system for adding items at one point and then filing later on.
1) Great for managing your work and personal activities.
2) One of the best implementations of the Getting Things Done method.
3) Not really suited for collaborative work management; OmniFocus is managed on a per-user basis so you can't share/assign tasks.
December 12, 2017

In a class by itself

Brad Pearce | TrustRadius Reviewer
OmniFocus is well suited for anyone who is serious about managing deadlines or accomplishing more in his or her life. I recommended it to the teenage son of a friend who has ADHD (the son, not the friend). I've bought it for my kids. OmniFocus works unobtrusively to make life better.
Who should use OmniFocus
  • Anyone with multiple projects
  • Anyone with multiple tasks that need to get done
  • Anyone who does not like to forget what to do
  • Anyone who prefers to stay organized
  • Anyone who is not told what to do and when to do it
I think I covered everyone with that list. It is a very good tool to manage your tasks in life. I try and follow the "Getting Things Done" approach. Each morning I think of everything I need to do, put it in Omnifocus (unless it takes less than 2 minutes, then I do it), then go about doing what I need to do. Context, due dates, and status lets me filter out the urgent from that which can wait.

That said, OmniFocus is not for everyone. It does require a strategy and sticking to the strategy. I've met some who struggled to use it or wasted time building the perfect workflow. For them, a basic checklist is probably better. However there are some GREAT resources from Merlin Mann and others that teach how to use it well.
Christian Payne | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have found personally that Omnifocus is excellent for both home and business. I have used Omnifocus for quite some time and one of my fears is losing data or it getting corrupted. In all the time that I have used Omnifocus, I have never lost a single piece of information, so I am satisfied that this is bullet proof. An area I would like to see Omnifocus develop into is by providing a (push-task) to other users. Currently you can only assign tasks in your own database, but I would like to see more of a team collaboration suite.