TRUE

Admissions Feedback

April 28, 2022

Wish I had more help

March 01, 2022
It is being used within the entire school system as the learning management platform. It is also used for course requests.

A Solid Product Overall

February 02, 2022
Our organization is using the Blackbaud K-12 LMS and CMS. We are not using the Fundraising/Advancement products or the Admission products.

A good system at a good value

January 26, 2022

Work needs to be done

June 25, 2021

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Blackbaud Education Management Solutions, and make your voice heard!

What is Blackbaud Education Management Solutions?

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions is a unified student management system for K–12 private schools. Blackbaud Enrollment Management System™: Gives schools and families the ability to track admissions progress from first impressions all the way…

• Setup fee required
For the latest information on pricing, visithttp://k12.blackbaud.com/?utm_source=re…

15 people want pricing too

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

What is Schoology Learning?

Schoology aims to combine as many parts of the learning process as possible into a single platform for K-12 students. By doing this they aim to simplify the learning experience for students, parents, and teachers.

What is Blackbaud Education Management Solutions?

Blackbaud Enrollment Management System™: Gives schools and families the ability to track admissions progress from first impressions all the way through the application process to acceptance, enrollment, and tuition payment.

Blackbaud Learning Management System™: Track students' academic performance and progression with 24/7 cloud access to submissions, assignments, discussions, online communities and tools.

Blackbaud Student Information System™: A source of data and information, ranging from schedules and grades to course requests and attendance history.

Blackbaud School Website System™: It allows users to leverage all the information sources within a school community for website content purposes. It allows schools to update content, change design, add pages, and create new sites with ease.

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions Screenshots

Topics pages help organize units of learning throughout the year in the Learning Management SystemBlackbaud's education management solutions come with strong reporting tools to get the information you need quicklySchedule view makes it easy for teachers to manage their daysBlackbaud Enrollment Management System Admissions Checklists help applicants track their progress in the admissions processBlackbaud's education management solutions come with strong reporting tools to get the information you need quicklyKeep track of all the key information about your students in one place

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions Videos

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions Downloadables

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions Integrations

• View all Partners here: http://k12.blackbaud.com/partnernetwork/

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions Competitors

Blackbaud Education Management Solutions Technical Details

Supported CountriesUnited States, Canada

What is Blackbaud Education Management Solutions's best feature?

Reviewers rate Blackbaud Learning Management System highest, with a score of 7.7.

Who uses Blackbaud Education Management Solutions?

The most common users of Blackbaud Education Management Solutions are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees) and the Education Management industry.

April 28, 2022

Admissions Feedback

We use Blackbaud Education Management during the Admissions process from prospective family engagement, capturing recommendation forms, scheduling interviews/assessments, committee review, and contract posting. We also use different parts of Blackbaud's education management with Academics, Faculty, Extracurricular, Raisers Edge, etc. The teachers are able to use Academics to track assignments, tests and attendance. RE is used for our donor database and to track all donations.
  • Ease in completing applications.
  • Ease in completing enrollment.
  • As a parent and employee, I love how all of the platforms are integrated with each other.
  • I wish that it was easier way to generate a contract.
  • I wish that there was a way to post a candidate to Committee Review from the candidate's profile, instead of having to go to Committee Review.
  • I wish there was a way to customize our dashboard in EMS.
I love how all information is accessible on the cloud. It is very convenient for us to track the applicants recommendation forms, report cards and school visits (tour and shadow day/s). Committee Review is one of the best features that Blackbaud introduced, allowing all of our applicants to be viewed by our Admissions Committees while still keeping all financial information blocked by the committee.
We use Blackbaud Community for support with what other schools are working with as well as the Idea Board. In the past when we contact Blackbaud support, our issues are resolved quickly and with the support that we need. We have not had an issue that has not been resolved and are so appreciative of the speed in the responses to our requests.
Our whole organization uses Blackbaud Education Management Solutions. We use it for class management, grades management, and scheduling. It also releases our report cards and transcripts to students and parents, including grade calculations. Students, parents, faculty, and staff are all users. We have a brother school on the same system and sometimes these two systems sync well, but sometimes small differences pose problems.
  • Master rollover saves time
  • Calendar adjusts well for rotating schedules
  • Email communication with built-in groups (such as advisories or classes) is easy
  • The new transcript builder is essentially unusable for us - it won't include transfer classes, which is a tremendous gap
  • I feel that they need to streamline their site. Every function takes multiple pathways to reach and as a result, many functions are hidden from the average user
  • We are K-12 and our middle school teachers can't recommend classes for 8th graders going into 9th grade - this should be a basic function
In my opinion, their customer service is almost useless. I usually wait at least 24 hours for a response after opening a "ticket", and often the answers are incomplete. I recently inquired about allowing our 8th grade teachers to recommend students for grade 9 classes, and I feel the responder clearly did not test any of her suggested solutions before emailing them back to me, because I immediately realized the "solutions" didn't solve the problem. This is a common customer service experience. Then, after a full week of going back and forth, she told me she agreed the solution was impractical and complicated but that I should suggest it on the website.
From my experience, this is a major flaw of the system. When I come across a problem I know it will take at least 24 hours to hear back from anyone (regardless of the status I rate the problem) and I have never been able to get a 2-way conversation going. I wait for an answer, it usually either only partially addresses the problem or is not a fix, then I have to point out why it doesn't work, and I wait another 24 hours for a response.
March 01, 2022

Wish I had more help

• it appears to be straight forward
  • it has course request, prerequisites and other useful features
  • n/a
  • n/a
  • customer service is not accessible or very helpful
  • launching the gradebook added an extra step + committing grades
  • some features require extra steps to figure out
I recently spent time trying to get information about using Blackbaud as our scheduling tool. It took multiple people to try to get an answer and then the answer did not even address what it was that I was looking for. I received an email with an answer that didn't even answer my question. Most of us dread having to go through customer service as it is not efficient nor responsive. Black baud could be a good product but lacks simple features that Schoology and some other LMS have. It would be to their advantage to have more accessible customer service and look at some of the other really good LMS systems out there.
We try to use support but sometimes they do not even get back to us or send us the wrong information. There is no follow-up.
JT Amirault | TrustRadius Reviewer
Blackbaud Education Management Solutions is used campus-wide as our primary solution for managing student information, learning management, admission/enrollment, public website, and athletics/extra-curricular, advancement, conduct, and accounting. Teachers post and students access class materials, assignments, assessments, grades, and schedules; teachers record class attendance, communicate with students and parents, view student progress and permissions/clearances for extracurricular activities; parents view student info, progress/report cards, and submit online forms. Grades and attendance data fuel program to determine and support at-risk students and eligibility for extra-curricular activities. Data also drives review of gender-based performance differences and classroom space utilization. Off-campus tutors access course information to keep in sync with on-campus classes. Resources are posted such as information sheets, how-to videos, school and area resource links, calendars, etc. Athletic teams, games and practice schedules, and results are managed. A school store sells logo'd products. Event registration and online giving is utilized. Parents, students, and employees access the authenticated area of the site while all the public-at-large access the front-face website. Tight integration with G-Suite augments Blackbaud and enhances collaboration.
  • Classroom management of rosters, assignments/assessment, and grading at a class grade book level and grades for report cards. The grading function is flexible in terms of how a teacher might manage their class grade book and support consistency for rolling up grades for report cards.
  • "Pushpage" communications to constituents is a powerful tool for targeted messages and for tracking results of messages read, bounced, opt-out, and clicked through.
  • In attendance management, there is a nice feature to alert parents and staff when a student reaches a threshold for number of times tardy. It is difficult to do the same for absences ... we have a policy that when a student reaches a threshold of number of classes absent, their grade starts getting reduced for each additional absence. This is hard to track at a class level ... 5 absences could be 1 day out missing 5 different classes or it could be across multiple days and be 5 misses of the same class.
  • Online forms have good basic functions, however, additional formatting control and ability to include/merge more data from student records would greatly add value.
  • easier integration with other SIS / LMS ... like CANVAS and google classroom
Tough question ... direct experience at two schools demonstrate this is well suited to private prep schools. It is not clear to me in which schools it would be less appropriate. Perhaps, a school without a 1-1 tech program would find less value as this is all about the online experience.
I am generally quite pleased with support so I give it a 8 - really hard to get a a top score from me. I find the support online chat to be most useful ... generally short queue times and always good support reps. This rating is for the support operation. Expanding beyond the support operations and reps, I am somewhat less satisfied with the responses ... "... not supported ...". The support department organization often completely resolves my issue and/or answers my question. But, despite quick and professional support, I may still have an unmet destire/need.
Blackbaud EMS is very usable from my perspective. I am a power user and get lots of valuable functionality. It is, however, a complex system. Sometimes necessarily complex to accommodate flexibility for diverse customer needs. Some complexity seems unnecessary and/or hold-over functionality from earlier versions; nice to see this type being evolved away from over time. It is valuable to receive regular updates to the system along with good release notes of what changed and notices of significant changes in advance.
Our whole school, PK-12, uses Blackbaud Education Management solutions. It provided a more robust alternative to the previous education management software. Users have more access and security, and the teachers who are actively using it for their class materials generally prefer it to what was in place previously. It allows for greater options in flexibility and delivery of material.
  • Users can update their contact information within the system
  • All educational processes within one system
  • Responsive design that can be accessed securely from anywhere
  • User driven reports and analysis require a working knowledge of SQL
  • Steep learning curve for those utilizing multiple areas of the software
  • Several functions lack nuance or the ability to customize between divisions
A good, and constantly improving solution for private schools. I don't know that a lot of its functionality would be well suited to public schools, but maybe? The integration with other Blackbaud software is a huge plus for us, as we have several of their other products including their flagship Raiser's Edge. Smaller schools may not need the sophistication of Blackbaud solutions, and it is not an inexpensive option.
Generally very responsive, especially within chat feature. Usually, the representative is very knowledgeable and provides quick, accurate solutions and guidance. The status updates on the support page are helpful, though usually lag an issue becoming apparent. The knowledgebase is helpful if you know exactly what you're looking for; it is very keyword-sensitive.
Blackbaud Education Management is the core of our education technology systems. We use it for our Student Information System (SIS), Learning Management System (LMS), Enrollment Management System (EMS), and information is integrated seamlessly from one part of the system to another. Because it's robust enough, we can require teachers to use it and then can tell parents how it is used in all classes by all teachers. Our community can depend on it and the technology just fades into the background, with learning becoming the focus.
  • Seamless integration between the LMS, EMS and SIS modules
  • Real-time, effective chat support helps me not only with urgent needs but also to work through possibilities for increasing how we use the product.
  • Feature upgrades monthly that respond to voiced needs from users
  • Assessments are somewhat buggy and don't have enough question types
  • Advanced lists could be more user-friendly and need to be updated to be in line with new features (but support is really helpful to work through making these work!)
  • In the enrollment module, some of the features that are still podium-based need an upgrade
Blackbaud Education Management Solutions is well-suited for schools who are interested in having it as the central piece to their student suite. I've heard that it does integrate with some other Learning Management systems but we've found that having it all in one place has made communication, dependability, and transparency greater. We appreciate that the views are the same for parents, students and teachers so when teachers make up a bulletin board, they know that what the parent is seeing is the same as them.
I use chat support a lot! It is really helpful to be able to get someone quickly and to have someone to lead me to the right knowledge base article or to show me how to do something. It's also helpful when they tell me something is not possible so I don't waste any time trying to make it happen. Our current account executive has also been responsive and helpful.
It is used school-wide as our SIS and SLS. We also use the Enrollment portal.
  • Attendance portal - ease of taking attendance by teachers and editing/inputting by the attendance office
  • Courses set up is intuitive thanks to a great tab set up
  • Directories - availability to use filters
  • Sky lists - love these!
  • Forms - lack of conditional questions
  • Gradebook -lack of links to assignments
  • Not being able to customize displays, for example, Grading tab - we just finished 1st semester and teachers could only see the current quarter but not the 1st one which is still part of the first semester. Lack of customization in assessments.
  • Scheduling- even though re-running generating schedules, we're still getting a high number of unscheduled students. Lack of being able to limit the number of scheduled classes in a row for teachers.
The flow from Admission to Academics is pretty painless and set up nicely. What I do not like is that the parents who are existing parents and incoming parents can overwrite data in their accounts via admission.
It is hit or miss. A lot of support reps are great but not always.
February 02, 2022

A Solid Product Overall

• Creating and generating built-in and custom reports
  • Managing curriculum and course information
  • The Platform Managers have many options for customization
  • E-Newsletter software is very out of date with very limited functionality
  • The website CMS provides limited access to styles
A great feature is the built-in Intranet options. It's easy to use and customize. All of our constituents find it helpful.
There are many ways to contact support that are helpful and easy. More attention could be paid to customer-recommended updates and new features.
It is being used across departments- admissions, registration, advising, student portal, financial aid, and billing. It houses all of those functions in one system behind one log-in. It serves students from interest to graduation and is also used by the wider community as an intranet where information is posted to be shared and disseminated.
  • Electronic application process, including recommendation letters
  • Easy grade entry for Faculty
  • Online course registration
  • Online student directory
  • Reporting
  • Cross-module information sharing
  • Document reader for admissions submissions
For simple, small institutions, the solution will serve basic needs and be a workable SIS for a reasonably low cost. It is not yet ready to support larger institutions and in many ways still looks like a K-12 system instead of a higher education system. The upcoming integration with Financial Edge and the ability to connect with Raiser's Edge will be attractive for some users using those products.
Quickly responsive, but sometimes you have to repeat your question again when you connect with someone after inputting the information in when opening the ticket.
We use Blackbaud Education Management Solutions across our school, for all students and teachers.
  • Fully integrated from Enrollment through Graduation
  • Great API to access data
  • Constantly being improved
  • Requires a fairly sophisticated user
  • Nomenclature constantly changing - hard to figure out sometimes
  • Requires a lot of clicking
Private schools where having a fully integrated solution is desirable.
Calling is difficult. First-line reps aren't too knowledgeable. Have started posting cases to save time. Sometimes, turn around time for questions is long.
We use Enrollment Management on a daily basis. This is one product of the larger [Blackbaud Education Management Solutions] being used across the school.
  • User friendly for parents
  • Clean look
  • Good customer service
  • Customization
  • Better email options
  • Better graphic usage
Great for families when using Enrollment Management, but some parts are still a little makeshift on the back end.
I think it is above average but still needs improvement with customization.
Parth Patel | TrustRadius Reviewer
Many of our platforms like WordPress, Raiser's Edge, Team Raiser, Luminate Online, NXT are being used by us. It's very expensive, but the price is worth it. We love our new website and creating online forms is fast. Videos can also be played on our website. We can monitor donors, provide reports and generate inquiries quickly. It manages consumer information and processes of different types. Also, It is nice to have one place for the details because we all know it is up-to-date and compatible with what those across campus are doing. We are the University where our voters may be in many categories and thus part of several different organizations.
  • Integration with many other third party apps or software
  • Very impressive reporting
  • Donation collection made easy with Blackbaud
  • Multi user access available
  • Donor gifts tracking system
  • Unable to customize RENXT reporting
  • Quirky interface
  • Forms customization
Blackbaud Education Management Solution is the best tool or platform for those who are consistently work related to Manage student data, donor data, etc. It is a very good and effective CRM solution for managing data and records. It well suited if you want to make the system remind donors that when donors may have to lapse and need to revisit.
I gave 9 out of 10 to Blackbaud Education Management Solution because The search function of Blackbaud is extremely easy to use. They are also thoroughly informed. Further, we were ready to call our representative to come out and give us personal training if our team needed further help. We use Blackbaud mainly for monitoring contributors, which works well for our teams.
It is Being used across the whole organization. Switched SIS almost 1 year ago. I had used Education Edge for 3 years prior to changing jobs. Currently platform manager and user of Blackbaud Education Management Solutions, Enrollment Management, and School Website. Multiple problems have been discovered throughout this school year and it seems that the people who coded and work on the production of this product perhaps don't actually use it. There are some very simple problems I have come across with lists and the learning profile that, in my opinion, would not exist if the creators actually had to use them./
  • For the most part, user friendly
  • Content is accessible through all platforms; desktop, mobile
  • Training/webinars/product information easily accessible
  • Lists -unable to just create a simple list of say 100 students of varying grade levels. Need to export, then whittle the list down. Super time-consuming. Not possible to run a list and then click the students needed from there.
  • Reports - [I feel there is] not enough of a selection of "canned reports" and no ability to create your own reports
  • Advanced lists - [in my experience] THE WORST - again creating more work - I spent over 3 hours trying to make an advanced list of all NHS eligible students, that included email addresses for the students AND the parents. Way too difficult and needs to be simplified
  • Learning Profile: [I feel] Fields for the person creating a learning profile for a student are too small. It would seem like the developers creating this have literally no idea how complex some accommodations are. Many accommodations come directly from a physician.
  • Checklists: Should be in Academics not just Enrollment Management
  • Ideas: [I feel it's a] good concept, poor execution. Many of the people who are actively using BB do not have the time needed to submit an idea, know it even exists or have time to search and vote.
  • Some aspects of Enrollment management should follow a student into Education Management. For example, [I feel]The Candidate Summary should be viewable once the student is enrolled. Converting a process from all paper to electronic-only works if the information is accessible to all pertinent staff
  • [I feel] There are many more - do better!!!
Well suited: Grading in real-time, locating students in real-time, communication with staff/advisees
Decent support however the chat feature can take a great amount of time out of the workday. If for instance you are waiting for someone to respond in the chat and there is a fire drill, if you are not responding within a few minutes, you are disconnected and have to start all over again. It would be great if you could submit your problem and then whoever has the most experience, can respond.
The training in the Blackbaud University is good but also time-consuming - a 3 hr training in the middle of a workday is a lot to ask. I like the 90-minute sessions. It would also be great to offer a shorter webinar to update on any changes implemented. Other than the email I subscribed to, there is no information on how these updates actually work.
We use the BB K-12 products across our school, it is our centralized system for everything from managing inquires, to LMS and SIS functions, to financial management and alumni relations. It allows us to manage one central database as opposed to many different systems. This ensures our data is generally up to date and accurate for all our departments to access. It also ensures a good user experience - one login as opposed to one for each department.
  • Centralized System - one login
  • Sleek user interface
  • Excellent support
  • LMS product is not best in breed - limited functionality compared to Google Classroom etc.
  • Reporting and analytics are lacking.
  • Anything outside of the standard deliverables are billable services.
It is very well suited to any independent/private school with funds directed towards enhanced software systems. It is really great for parental access in terms of providing a really smooth user interface and ease of use. It does require a fair amount of knowledge to do anything involving custom reports and analytics, and in some cases is incapable of providing the data needed.
Support is generally very good, the live chat is great. One area of improvement here is support is always closed on American holidays, as a Canadian school this has proven to be challenging more than once.
Brian Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
Blackbaud Education Management Solutions is being used for all aspects of our school, from Prekindergarten 3 to Grade 12 and in all departments across the organization from teachers to administrators to business office to development office and athletics. Blackbaud Education Management Solutions helps us more effectively communicate with our constituents, manage the educational records aspects of the school, and helps educators with organizing their classes.
  • Blackbaud Education Management Solutions provides a centralized place for students and parents to find all the information they need for their day-to-day lives from assignments to schedules to athletics and more.
  • Blackbaud Education Management Solutions allows for prospective families to progress logically through an admissions process and gives admissions managers the ability to track all aspects of the process.
  • Blackbaud Education Management Solutions allows constituents to quickly update their own contact information, putting them into control of how they are communicated with.
  • Blackbaud Education Management Solutions has a very antiquated method for sending out email communications/newsletters (called Pushpages). Many other systems provide a more robust system.
  • Blackbaud Education Management Solutions has been working towards an all-in-one scheduling system, but the current system does not work for all school setups, especially those with complex structures.
  • Blackbaud Education Management Solutions forward facing/public website solution works well but does not have the "flashiest" of feature sets that other solutions provide.
Blackbaud Education Management Solutions would be best for medium to large schools, mostly located in one centralized location. If you were going from a largely paper-based records/admissions management system, you would see great gains in efficiency with a product like this. Small schools would not see as much benefit to the services offered compared to the price point of the software.
For the most part, support is okay with Blackbaud Education Management Solutions. However, often times due to the wide range of features, it can be difficult to receive support immediately without the support representative having to consult with someone who specializes in the area with the issue. Previously, when Blackbaud Education Management Solutions was owned and managed solely by WhippleHill, Inc. and was much better and much more robust.
Rick Geyer | TrustRadius Reviewer
Blackbaud's Education Management Solution is used across our entire organization. It is the main database that drives our organizational activities. Admissions, Registrar, Billing Office, Teachers, Administrators, everyone uses the system is some way to help carry out their job functions. The main problem this system solves is providing access to key stakeholder data without the need to duplicate data or update data in multiple locations. It also acts as our primary communication tool to our families.
  • The Enrollment Management solution works well in providing a user friendly experience for potential students, and also does a good job of tracking candidates through the various phases of the application process.
  • The parent portal and the use of community groups works well for getting accurate communications out to the appropriates constituents. As a larger school, it was challenging making sure everyone was informed about the upcoming events and information that was pertinent to them. With the use of the various groups in Blackbaud's solution, we have been able to tailor our communication so that everyone gets the right communication without having to send everything to everybody.
  • Blackbaud has several modules, but they all connect back to a Core database, that way common biographical information is shared between the various modules, and if it is updated, it updates everywhere.
  • Their system has an Open API and is OneRoster and LTI compliant. This allows their system to easily connect to other learning tools and systems to share information without having to perform numerous exports and imports to keep information in sync.
  • I would like to see a wider array of fields available to their User Lists and Insight Designer. Currently, some information is only available through Advanced Lists, which is an older platform for querying data and is much more difficult for standard users to work with. Making more fields available to the User Lists would make it easier for standard users to gain access to the data they need without having to involve a data administrator or power user. Making all the fields available to the insight designer would allow me to build custom Dashboard for Administrators, which would make KPI data very accessible to those individuals and reduce my overhead to provide it.
  • I would like to see some workflow changes and enhancements made to their attendance module. While there are many great features, some of the workflows put in place make the use of this module hard to manage for larger schools.
  • I would like to see the user roles/permission module revamped to allow for more granularity when granting access to parts of the system. I know they are actively working on revamping this, but it is still currently an opportunity for improvement.
If you want to provide a more tailored user experience for your families, then I would recommend the Blackbaud solution. It is flexible enough to allow you to use the system in a way that best suits your school, and the seamless integration between the various modules provides a cohesive user experience. If you are a smaller school that does not have anyone with advanced technical expertise on your campus, it could be a challenge to get the system set up to meet your needs, but this can also be overcome with user training that Blackbaud can provide.
Over the years they have worked hard to provide competent, well trained support staff. While I may not have always rated them this high, they have been performing at a pretty consistent level for a while now. Between using the knowledgebase, chat, or phone call options, I feel well supported when I need assistance.
We use the entire "On" suite. It is being used across our entire school. We are able to have our teachers use it for their teacher web pages, parents use it for the directory and to see student information, we use it for events and for prospective parents. We send out pushpages or e-communications to all our constituencies. We also integrate other databases for our nurses database through Schooldoc and Titan HST.
  • The "front end" marketing side of the site is great with its mobile-friendly platform. The site looks very professional, yet student-centered.
  • Behind the password, class pages are informative and students can have access to their homework and schedules.
  • The site is there for parents to login and access information that they need from the school at their fingertips.
  • Parents have access to a school online directory and can assess parent-related links, resources, photos, and class inforation
  • The entire On record module needs immense improvement. It's extremely clunky and hasn't been updated in ages. It's an afterthought.
  • The event registration piece is not mobile friendly. We have had tons of issues with people having problems signing up for events on their phones.
  • The reporting and lists functions can be clunky and difficult to execute.
I really feel that if I took my business somewhere else I would have other issues that I would need to address. Ever since Whipplehill was acquired by Blackbaud, it has been less than a pleasing experience. Long wait times for support - not enough support. My account rep takes days to return my emails. It's really not a great way to run a business. They are trying to be cutting edge but they are behind with product development. I feel that is something Finalsite has done a lot better than Blackbaud.
Lately the support has been less than pleasing. Long wait times. Last support issue I had, I asked for someone to call me and they just didn't. My account rep barely responds to my emails.
It's really not that great. The report running is difficult, and I can never seem to get the data I need.
By the entire organization. It's the data management system of our school, the backbone of our data systems.
  • Easy to use, simple and clear interface.
  • Logic and data flow designed to suit needs of educational institutes.
  • User-friendly interface and functions for administrators and developers.
  • Some features in the system are outdated and difficult to navigate.
  • Poor integration with certain reporting system required by the ministry.
  • The learning management part is not considered to the ideal one by our school.
Good for independent schools in the US, probably not so good in Canada due to lacking reporting support.
Great support team, very responsive and great solution overall.
Jim Maier | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used school-wide by faculty/staff, students, parents/guardians. It is our student information system. It replaced Blackbaud's Education Edge program. It has a very friendly user web interface for all users. The business problems it addresses is that the old Education Edge web portal was not as user-friendly and it was complicated to develop page content.
  • Very user-friendly for "non-tech" parents/guardians.
  • It covers all areas of school daily life. Academics, activities, athletics and community groups involving parents/guardians.
  • It is constantly improving in all areas of the user interface.
  • Some of the functionality of advanced lists require extra clicks to perform steps.
  • SKY lists are constantly improving, but have a ways to go. They are so easy to build and use but are limited to what can be displayed or filtered.
  • Bulk deleting of rosters would be a nice improvement.
It has been a great product for our parents/guardians. I have had very few of them contact me to say that they cannot figure out how to navigate and use the program. It would be nice to be able to build some "open to all users" front end web pages without having to purchase onMessage.
Support is fantastic. Most issues can be handled with a short chat. Phone support wait times are very short. Staff product knowledge is great. They are all friendly and caring.
We use it in all departments. The main advantage for us to have data integration across departments.
  • The availability of data to all constituents anywhere that you have internet access is vital.
  • The ability to view online data easily on every device is crucial. (responsive views).
  • Ease of use for Parents and Students has been critical. Students figure it out on their own. Written "how to" documents were hardly used by students.
  • Blackbaud is committing resources to always evaluate and improve their product. It is comforting to know that if there is functionality that you wish was better, it is only a matter of time and it will likely be improved.
  • We need personal profile data updates for parents to update their record in Tuition Management automatically.
  • We need to be able to view the feeder school on the student's academic record and not have to go to Enrollment Management to see this.
  • More scheduling rules like, "do not schedule X in the same semester as Y."
It is perfect for schools with students and parents who are always connected to a device. I am not sure if it exists, but it would not be great for a school with students and parents who do not have easy access to the internet.
In the past, I found that I often knew more than the support analyst that I was talking with. I have felt like support is much more informed now; especially impressed with those who are knowledgeable in EE and Education Management. I love being able to chat with support!
Our school uses Blackbaud for the school website, for enrollment management, for class and employee management, for parent and alumni outreach, and for fundraising. Every part of the school uses Blackbaud systems. The biggest benefit has been having all of our information in systems that connect with one another. It has helped with communication and organization.
  • Allows sharing of content between classes and teachers.
  • Provides good integration of event and news items between internal and external (public website) systems.
  • Provides a single place for assignments, grades, and feedback.
  • Creating schedules is extremely complex and doesn't provide good opportunities for selecting between different options.
  • Customer support is sometimes extremely slow at finding and offering solutions to problems.
  • Terminology is sometimes hard to figure out: the system will use the same or extremely similar names for multiple different features or options (grades vs grading; assignment; assessment).
  • Knowledge base is mostly filled with articles that are outdated, offering instructions that are no longer helpful because the system has changed too much since the article was written, and the steps/menus that are listed no longer exist.
Well-suited to an environment that has the resources/manpower to dedicate significant time to training people to use the system, and there are people available to function as system administrators but who do not have much else in the way of responsibilities.
It is a helpful and effective system, but it also often seems overly complex, and there are a number of glitches. Many times, performing the correct task doesn't actually do what it is meant to do, and the task has to be repeated a number of times. Support staff have indicated this is because of caching issues, and so the same action has to be repeated numerous times before the system catches up. As another common example, clicking on the gradebook for a course sometimes opens it in the same window, and sometimes as a new window. Inconsistencies like this make the system as a whole unpredictable and thus makes it feel somewhat unreliable.
April 30, 2021

One Stop Shopping!

Blackbaud Education Management is used across our entire school. Fantastic support and knowledge base.
In the Business Office - FENXT
Enrollment Management: Admissions - All aspects of Onboarding Enrollment Management, Records, Reporting
Academics: Registrar & Faculty - Academics, Class Scheduling, Grading, Attendance, Reporting, Parent Portal - Communication with parents, School Forms.
School Website: Communication, Events etc.
Core: All aspects of Core

• Complete package from enrollment through to Smart Tuition billing.
  • Excellent support via chat. Very informative and responsive at all times.
  • Great reporting abilities.
  • Would love to be able to archive events.
  • Additional Fields in Applications (Enrollment Management).
Very well suited for all aspects for TK - 12 Schools.
Over the years the support I have received has always been excellent. 99% of issues are resolved during the chat. The 1% has been followed up once the solution has been found.
We are currently migrating from Education Edge to the new Blackbaud Education Management Solutions. We will use it across the entire organization. Currently we do still use Canvas but may eventually use the LMS. We are using it across the Lower, Middle and Upper School. We also use the Enrollment Management System for the Admissions Department.
  • Ease of use is great. Easy to view the information by parent and student and easy to schedule. Very intuitive to use.
  • Great user interface. The parents are enjoying being able to get the information in an easy format. They can easily log on and see what class their student is in and their daily attendance.
  • As Registrar, I enjoy how easy it is to update a room change or enter in new comments or notes on a student's records.
  • Reporting - Hard to print out a schedule matrix like we did in Education Edge. The new K-12 system needs a report similar to the Master Schedule in Education Edge. They have one named that, but it is nothing like the old option. The ability to print a room matrix would be great.
  • Reporting - printing out actual student schedules. Improve the ability to print an A/B schedule for students.
  • Ability to query data like in Education Edge. This is absolutely a must. The ability to get data out of the system is horrible compared to the previous Education Edge product we used from Blackbaud.
  • The biggest problem we have run into is that the new system does not support a student changing sections from 1st term to 2nd term. We use final grades, so the terms must be combined into a single Final Course Grade. This is something that Education Edge easily supported. It should have been discovered and brought up before we converted to K-12. Blackbaud should have a list of functionality that will go away when you migrate to the new system. These are both Blackbaud owned systems and they should be more responsible.
Needs improvement in reporting and the ability to query. The reporting leaves a lot to be desired. If it could be half as good as Education Edge that would be a huge improvement. I need the ability to print a report that has the master schedule and fits on one page. We need this by room number and by teacher - similar to what was offered in Education Edge. The current version crosses pages and does not keep the header rows of the matrix - making it impossible to read.
To date, I have had a very good experience. The support at the conference was excellent. I was able to get help creating and updating our report card with the new report card builder.

I have had minimal need for support so far because we are still working with our consultant. He is very accessible and helpful when needed. I wish the consultants were more quickly trained on some of the new features - for example, the report card builder and transcript builder.
I find the user interface very friendly. It is easy to locate information that you need fairly quickly. The grading set up is a bit complex and there are so many areas that have to be set up. I feel that this could be simplified and redone. Also the athletics set up area and advisory could use an overall to be more consistent with the main functionality screens.
We use Blackbaud EMS as our SIS and LMS across our two divisions (middle and upper schools). It is our main data hub that serves us well when we acquire additional solutions. The BB user ID that is automatically assigned within EMS is used across multiple platforms and allows for easy cross-referencing of constituent records.
  • Customer Support: Overall, the majority of analysts are knowledgeable and helpful. If they are not able to directly help with an issue they will escalate to appropriate departments and keep you informed of progress.
  • Partnerships: While the EMS can act as the whole solution, not all schools fit that mold. K12 Partnerships allow institutions to find the best individual fit while remaining connected via API/SSO, etc.
  • Roles and Security: I know this is currently under development, but at present, it is difficult to make sure users have the appropriate permissions. Cloning roles to customize doesn't always work as it can allow for users to have access to information they do not need.
  • Wednesday Releases: I have personally found that there can be larger-scale issues that occur as a result of the Wednesday releases.
You can't beat the full portfolio of EMS, FE/FENXT, RE/RENXT. Blackbaud has become the standard for independent schools. The complaint I most frequently receive from constituents is the lack of customization. However, they don't fully realize it is a canned database and not a custom database built from scratch.
As mentioned previously, support is great for the majority of the time. There are instances where you are clearly getting someone who is new to the products and may struggle a bit but that will happen anywhere you go :).
St. Catherine's School uses Blackbaud education management for all divisions (age 3 through grade 12) for a student body of 100. We use the solutions for student information and learning management.
  • Helps students and parents track progress.
  • Helps teachers organize and present content, assessments, assignments and grades.
  • Helps administrators manage enrollment.
  • Interoperability between Blackbaud products ,not one database for all products
Blackbaud has served our big and complex school very well. We do partner with another Blackbaud school where we cross-enroll students in each other's schools. It would be helpful if there was a way to easily enroll any Blackbaud student in any Blackbaud school.
Working with Blackbaud for more than 10 years, we have seen the responsive nature of Blackbaud listening to schools and educational trends and creating solutions to respond to the needs of schools.