OneNote Reviews

Gavin Scott-Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 09, 2020

OneNote to rule them all.

Alternatives Considered

Evernote is also a great product that I had used for years. However Evernote limits you with many various things when you don't have a premium subscription. So this makes one note really great for many use cases, and for many various teams. I think one note is a clear choice winner
Read Gavin Scott-Miller's full review
Justin Harbin | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 24, 2020

Onenote - excellent for collaborative brainstorming!

Alternatives Considered

• For collaborative and informal notetaking, OneNote by far exceeds the more rigid structures of Quip and Evernote - these products do what they do well. Still, for my particular uses stated earlier, OneNote remains my go-to for personal notetaking six years in, even after trialing multiple other products.
  • The integration with OneDrive, in particular, has increased the value as my institution has committed to that route, so it makes sense to keep the products I use "in house."
Read Justin Harbin's full review
Jeff Henkel | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2019

OneNote Review

Alternatives Considered

I tried organizing various online hard drive storage products like Dropbox, iCloud and Google Drive and One Drive. However, I like the visual aspects of OneNote when I save a document or webpage. It's simpler and I am able to know immediately if I have found the item I am looking for.
Read Jeff Henkel's full review
Jill Dickert | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 06, 2019

OneNote makes collaboration easy!

Alternatives Considered

OneNote is best for business needs. Evernote tends to be better for individual needs in my experience. If I am taking notes in a meeting or on a call, Evernote serves the purpose just fine. OneNote is a better platform for "meatier" projects and workbooks which is what our company uses it for in my experience.
Read Jill Dickert's full review
Lukas Sundahl, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 10, 2019

OneNote is the one you need

Alternatives Considered

OneNote is so easy to learn especially for users that have worked in Excel and Word. The ability to quickly hyperlink and post documents into OneNote is why we selected it. OneNote is already part of Office 365 so it made financial sense as well to utilize the product. OneNote will have automatic updates so new features will be available through Office 365.
Read Lukas Sundahl, MBA's full review
Kaleb-John Loo | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 12, 2019

The OneNote You'll Need

Alternatives Considered

OneNote is great if you enjoy the Office suite. It integrated well into the already established workflow of the Office suite. It is a bit lacking in the app side of things, but that might be due to the ingrained idea of having a keyboard while using Office products and making use of all of the shortcuts you have come to know. However, since OneNote is best utilized on the computer and that is where most work takes place, this shortcoming compared to Evernote is fine.
Read Kaleb-John Loo's full review
November 07, 2019

OneNote Is Like the Jam to Outlook's Peanut Butter

Alternatives Considered

We do not use the cloud version of OneNote because of security concerns and licensing. We like OneNote because it is similar to other Office applications, which lowers the hurdle for adoption by other users in the organization. Because of Microsoft's decision to move OneNote to the cloud in Office 2019, we will have to evaluate non-cloud competitors in the future.
October 21, 2019

One Note is your one stop shop for note taking!

Alternatives Considered

The only real product that I can directly hold in juxtaposition to OneNote is Evernote. OneNote ultimately wins that battle because of its zero cost. It compares like for like in most other ways to Evernote, with the exception of its organizational system. If you intend to organize items into more than 10 topics of interest, Evernote may be better suited to your needs, as it's tagging system is more robust for larger categories of organization. If, however, like most users, you're limiting your categorization into 10 or fewer categories, OneNote is excellent, and it excels at helping you find information that falls into a smaller number of buckets than Evernote.

Both applications have excellent mobile apps that will handle document scanning, pictures, and the like for you, so it's largely the same there. Overall, I'll continue to use OneNote because it is free.
November 06, 2019

A must-have if you use MS Office

Alternatives Considered

Integration with other Microsoft Office products is much better with OneNote than any other note-taking tool. It's also crucial to have cloud-based syncing because I have used other products that only do local storage and you lose a lot of important information if that software or computer crashes and it's not synced to the cloud.
August 12, 2019

OneNote - Great for Note Taking and Task Management

Alternatives Considered

I chose OneNote on the recommendation of a colleague. I found that OneNote is more useable than Evernote, although both are very good. Both products organize your notes in the same way, so it could also just come down to familiarity with OneNote, but I really like how the OneNote tags work. They are great for setting reminders and lists of things to do. You can use the tags on anything, compared to Evernote where you can only tag the notes part (you can tag everything on OneNote).
Joel Brache | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 17, 2018

An Excellent App for Notes

Alternatives Considered

I tried using Evernote and it is an equally usable tool, however, I prefer the interface and capabilities of OneNote. OneNote seems much easier to use and understand. I think that may primarily be because OneNote is a Microsoft application and I am very used to using Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, etc.

I also use OneNote to keep my grocery list. It does as good of a job as the grocery list applications out there, only I like the flexibility I have with OneNote and how I specifically do my shopping.
Read Joel Brache's full review
May 25, 2019

OneNote the Last Note-taking Software You'll Need

Alternatives Considered

OneNote has quickly become my notetaking software of choice. It integrates seamlessly with the programs I use on a daily basis for work. Perhaps if I didn't have the program through Office 365 I would still consider Evernote. I find that OneNote has decent search functionality. I had the same type of organizational ramp up like any other note-taking software. Once you answer the question of "now, how do I want to organize my files in this program?" And then understand what your notebooks, tabs, and notes are going to be, you'll be all set.
December 12, 2018

Get rid of those spiral notebooks and just use OneNote

Alternatives Considered

Because many of our organizations use Windows and Microsoft Office suite as business tools, it makes sense to choose OneNote for notetaking and storing information. Other tools don't integrate as well with the Office desktop.
Gagan Kanwar | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 13, 2018

OneNote - Move faster by remembering what's next

Alternatives Considered

I don't like Evernote's privacy policy. Plus, they were hacked and I don't think they're paying enough attention to their security. Evernote is decent for a consumer experience or a college student, but I think when it comes to an enterprise use case, it's really important to have trust and security in your note-taking platform.
Read Gagan Kanwar's full review
Brad Bratcher | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 17, 2018

Why OneNote? Because what it cannot do, I can count on maybe 3 fingers.

Alternatives Considered

As stated earlier, Evernote is a little better at mobile and list making. Especially when doing things like needing to record different media types [written, photos, audio recording]. That being said, if Evernote shut its doors tomorrow, I'd just download all of that content and import into OneNote. If the inverse were true, life would stink for the type of work that I do and how much I depend on it.
Read Brad Bratcher's full review
Matt Smedley | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 22, 2018

OneNote - great collaboration tool

Alternatives Considered

Evernote and OneNote are very similar. Mac users may be more comfortable with Evernote as it has been the standard on Mac for many years, but OneNote has definitely caught up in terms of feature/functionality. Personally, I bounce back and forth between them as I have many years of notes in Evernote, but have more recently started to use OneNote to collaborate with colleagues.
Read Matt Smedley's full review
Tiago Martines | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 21, 2016

OneNote - for individual users on a daily basis

• S-Note
S-Note is very local and works only on your Samsung device. Attempting to share S-Note notes across devices will turn them into pictures, which are hardly useful on a PC. OneNote's format is standardized between PC/Mobile/Web. Also, OneNote is clearly better for the different media it supports (e.g. videos/audio). S-Note, at this point, does a better job at recognizing handwriting and doing special actions based on it (like arranging a meeting or making a call). OneNote is improving on that area, but only if you allow it to tap Cortana's power.
Read Tiago Martines's full review
Brad Daugherty | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 19, 2016

OneNote Reviewed

Alternatives Considered

OneNote is by far the easiest to get familiar with for our end users as well as its integration into the Microsoft suite has made adoption much easier with our employees. OneNote allows for Active Directory setting internally which help us administer and deploy the product through our organization.
Read Brad Daugherty's full review
Alan Matson, CCNA:S, MCP | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 26, 2016

Using OneNote as a CRM Replacement for consulting

Alternatives Considered

OneNote was the best choice over Google Drive because Google keeps changing their products too often removing some features and adding others that we do not need. We also looked at self hosting with ownCloud but the ability to use OneNote on a multitude of devices and no purchase of hardware was needed by us to operate OneNote.
Read Alan Matson, CCNA:S, MCP's full review

9.2
Access control (35)
File search (42)
Device sync (44)
User and role management (24)
File organization (37)
Device management (23)
Performance (39)
Reliability (38)
Storage Reports (16)

About OneNote

Microsoft's OneNote is a digital note-taking app, supporting photos, annotating, web page clipping, emailing, and synchronizing notes across devices.