OnShape is a perfect cloud CAD solution for design teams.My company MiniFabrikam is an online 3d printing service located in Izmir, Turkey. MiniFabrikam is a small company uses desktop 3d printing technics. I use OnShape's free version and mostly I use it for my file conversion needs. OnShape is the real solution for converting SolidWorks file format to .stl file format which is native file format for 3d printers. If one of my customers would send me a SolidWorks file which doesn't work on 3d printers, then I could easily change that file's format to .stl via OnShape.,No need for installation. Thus, you could use it without powerful hardware configurations on your PC or any other devices. It runs on cloud platform which enables device free work environment. Its solid design approach allows users for creating error-free 3d printing files.,It depends on a full internet connection. OnShape should provide its customers to choose whether online or offline usage.,9,It has a positive impact on my business. Before OnShape, I always had had to refer a friend to my file conversion needs.,Fusion 360 and SketchUp,Fusion 360revolutionary product!I use OnShape for designing mechanisms and parts that can be 3d printed on my own 3d printer, or by a 3rd party through 3dHubs. I use OnShape to design desks and shelving before building them for myself. I also use OnShape to design small plastic parts and trinkets that can be 3d printed.,Online support A large array of Functions Terrific import export features Ability to create scripts and functions,Performance, difficult to determine if performance issues are server-side or bandwidth/latency related New Parts do not contain selectable x,y,z axis. No virtual reality features,10,OnShape has saved me time, by not having to install software or manage files OnShape saved me the cost of buying a fast computer OnShape enables me to work on ANY computer connected to the internet,Fusion 360, AutoCAD and SketchUp,SketchUp, AutoCAD, Fusion 360Future of CADOnShape is being used by four members of our international engineering team for 3D CAD design, drawing creation and to share information with suppliers. It allows us to work between Europe and the US without having to worry about file management or expensive PDM software. We can also share designs with our service team members and suppliers, wherever they are in the world without hassle. The subscription pricing plan is also very favorable for us. We can add additional team members without purchasing a $6k+ license, as with traditional CAD (SolidWorks). The annual cost is about the same as a subscription fee from a traditional VAR.,Cloud based CAD - Since OnShape is cloud based there is no software to install, no files to manage, no saving and no old-version compatibility issues. These things take a great amount of time with traditional CAD systems. In my last year of using OnShape it may have only crashed 2-3 times, which I could quickly recover by hitting refresh. I have never lost any data working with OnShape. Frequent updates - OnShape releases updates every 3-4 weeks that add new features and functionality. It is becoming a very capable platform, with many fresh and innovative features that are already done much better than programs like SolidWorks. Standard components - A recently added feature for fasteners allows them to be added much faster than in any other CAD platform I have used!,Customization of background colors, currently the only option is a white background, which is not always the best to look at for extended periods. Assembly configurations. At the time of writing OnShape has not added assembly configurations yet - which are very useful when designing industrial equipment for different markets. Performance and features on 2D drawings. While this is improved with almost every update, unlike the 3D CAD part of OnShape 2D drawings are not as responsive or as feature filled.,9,OnShape gave us an immediate savings, in that we only spent about 20% as much to add a new user vs. the price with SolidWorks. OnShape allows us to work more efficiently, and to bring products to market faster.,SolidWorks and AutoDesk Inventor,SmartDrawOnshape - Excellent Cloud CAD SoftwareWe use Onshape for all of our mechanical engineering purposes. It has great version history management and is easy to use across different platforms (iOS, Mac, pc, etc), and it's all cloud-based, so all of our info is synced across everyone's computers seamlessly and there isn't a check in/check out the procedure for accessing the workspace. Permissions are easily controlled so we can share parts with other people without fear of them changing anything by accident, or we can restrict their export privileges for confidentiality.,It's always under development. I came from Solidworks and have used NX in the past, and while it might not be as powerful as NX, it feels right on par with Solidworks and goes far beyond in some cases. The development team welcomes feedback and directly incorporates it into the software when they're ready, so you don't have to wait for next year's version to come out before you see improvements. The cloud-based platform is excellent for collaboration. It takes time to figure out to set it up properly (personal preference, not Onshape setup), but we have a number of engineers working on a lot of isolated pieces that have to come together to form our product, but because everything is in the cloud, we can all look at each other's drawings and parts and incorporate them into our own workspaces so that we're sure we're using the right dimensions/features/etc. It has a lot of features. I was hesitant at first, but it's got a ton of features. I haven't found anything I wanted to do, but couldn't do because it was lacking the feature. They just added sheet metal support a few months ago, and they're adding more every day.,This isn't an Onshape fault, but is inherent to anything cloud-based; if your internet goes down, Onshape goes down. We occasionally have internet problems and our whole mechanical team has to stop development when this happens. Not Onshape's fault, but it's something to be aware of. It's hard to complain about any features or lack thereof, because they're always updating them. I don't have anything bad to say!,10,It's hard to quantify, since this is the only software we've used, but for how much it costs (somewhere in the $100-$200 per month range per person, I think), it's way more affordable for a small company than buying 10 SW or NX licenses.,solidworks and Siemens NXOnshape is the leader in innovative professional CADWe use Onshape in the engineering organization. The great thing about Onshape is that we can share our CAD information with anyone and receive feedback and they don't need to have an Onshape account. The biggest solution Onshape offers is professional grade, engineering CAD. It is used to create designs for tooling fixtures, production line layouts, and representative models of equipment on the manufacturing floor. It is a useful tool for communicating visual information to upper management when working on projects.,One strength of Onshape is that it is truly portable. Onshape runs in a web browser, so it isn't tied to a specific computer and doesn't require specialized hardware. Also, Onshape has full CAD functionality in a mobile app as well, so I can take my designs on the production floor and edit them on my smartphone. Onshape also allows complete collaboration. Multiple designers/engineers/CAD users can be designing in the same workspace at the same time. Everything is updated in real time, so I always know what is happening and what changes are being made. Onshape can accept many different file types and can export the most common file types. There isn't any issue with file incompatibility, ever. Onshape is fairly new, so it is still adding features. There is a new, relevant update about every 3 weeks.,Since Onshape is run in the cloud, if you lose internet connection, as my company does fairly frequently, you are stuck until connection is restored. There are some very useful features that other CAD systems have that Onshape hasn't yet implemented. The drawings in Onshape are the weakest point so far. There are many features that I would like to see implemented in drawings, but things are still in development. Because of how Onshape is written and run, it does not run in microsoft browsers.,10,Onshape is a great value. Instead of purchasing any seat of our desktop-installed CAD system, we spent $2000-$3000 per year less to purchase an Onshape license,Solidworks, Solidedge and Bobcad
Onshape

Onshape Reviews<a href='https://www.trustradius.com/static/about-trustradius-scoring#question3' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>Customer Verified: Read more.</a>

Onshape
Filter 14 vetted Onshape reviews and ratings
Oral Tosun profile photo
November 29, 2018

Review: "OnShape is a perfect cloud CAD solution for design teams."

• No need for installation. Thus, you could use it without powerful hardware configurations on your PC or any other devices.
  • It runs on cloud platform which enables device free work environment.
  • Its solid design approach allows users for creating error-free 3d printing files.
  • It depends on a full internet connection. OnShape should provide its customers to choose whether online or offline usage.
OnShape is ideal for designing for 3d printing. It provides all the necessary tools for the job.
If a design needs collaboration, then OnShape could be a solution between you and your customer.
OnShape has no sculpting technics, so there is no option for the surface manipulations on a cad file.
Read Oral Tosun's full review
Christopher DeAngelis profile photo
May 17, 2018

Onshape Review: "revolutionary product!"

• Online support
  • A large array of Functions
  • Terrific import export features
  • Ability to create scripts and functions
  • Performance, difficult to determine if performance issues are server-side or bandwidth/latency related
  • New Parts do not contain selectable x,y,z axis.
  • No virtual reality features
OnShape is well suited for any design project that calls for Collaboration. OnShape is not well suited for companies that already have large part databases using another CAD software.
Read Christopher DeAngelis's full review
Steven Whitacre profile photo
January 08, 2018

Onshape Review: "Future of CAD"

• Cloud based CAD - Since OnShape is cloud based there is no software to install, no files to manage, no saving and no old-version compatibility issues. These things take a great amount of time with traditional CAD systems. In my last year of using OnShape it may have only crashed 2-3 times, which I could quickly recover by hitting refresh. I have never lost any data working with OnShape.
  • Frequent updates - OnShape releases updates every 3-4 weeks that add new features and functionality. It is becoming a very capable platform, with many fresh and innovative features that are already done much better than programs like SolidWorks.
  • Standard components - A recently added feature for fasteners allows them to be added much faster than in any other CAD platform I have used!
  • Customization of background colors, currently the only option is a white background, which is not always the best to look at for extended periods.
  • Assembly configurations. At the time of writing OnShape has not added assembly configurations yet - which are very useful when designing industrial equipment for different markets.
  • Performance and features on 2D drawings. While this is improved with almost every update, unlike the 3D CAD part of OnShape 2D drawings are not as responsive or as feature filled.
OnShape is great for general 3D CAD design, due to its cloud nature it can be much more efficient than traditional programs. One area where the cloud benefit is especially realized is when multiple engineers need to work on a project simultaneously. Similar to Google Documents, multiple users can work on the same design at the same time.

Where it is less appropriate is for large scale 2D drafting plans (AutoCAD). This area of OnShape is not quite as developed as the 3D tools.
Read Steven Whitacre's full review
Marshall Wentworth profile photo
January 02, 2018

User Review: "Onshape - Excellent Cloud CAD Software"

• It's always under development. I came from Solidworks and have used NX in the past, and while it might not be as powerful as NX, it feels right on par with Solidworks and goes far beyond in some cases. The development team welcomes feedback and directly incorporates it into the software when they're ready, so you don't have to wait for next year's version to come out before you see improvements.
  • The cloud-based platform is excellent for collaboration. It takes time to figure out to set it up properly (personal preference, not Onshape setup), but we have a number of engineers working on a lot of isolated pieces that have to come together to form our product, but because everything is in the cloud, we can all look at each other's drawings and parts and incorporate them into our own workspaces so that we're sure we're using the right dimensions/features/etc.
  • It has a lot of features. I was hesitant at first, but it's got a ton of features. I haven't found anything I wanted to do, but couldn't do because it was lacking the feature. They just added sheet metal support a few months ago, and they're adding more every day.
  • This isn't an Onshape fault, but is inherent to anything cloud-based; if your internet goes down, Onshape goes down. We occasionally have internet problems and our whole mechanical team has to stop development when this happens. Not Onshape's fault, but it's something to be aware of.
  • It's hard to complain about any features or lack thereof, because they're always updating them. I don't have anything bad to say!
I think Onshape could be used in just about any context where you want to do mechanical engineering. I haven't used any of the FEA packages, but I'm sure if you were heavily invested in that, something like NX/ANSYS might be better, but we've been happy with what we have. In school, for small project teams that are constantly making updates to parts, this provides an easy workflow and you can avoid uploading to Dropbox, then download, then have conflicting copies, etc.
Read Marshall Wentworth's full review
R. Dirk Price profile photo
December 18, 2017

Review: "Onshape is the leader in innovative professional CAD"

• One strength of Onshape is that it is truly portable. Onshape runs in a web browser, so it isn't tied to a specific computer and doesn't require specialized hardware. Also, Onshape has full CAD functionality in a mobile app as well, so I can take my designs on the production floor and edit them on my smartphone.
  • Onshape also allows complete collaboration. Multiple designers/engineers/CAD users can be designing in the same workspace at the same time. Everything is updated in real time, so I always know what is happening and what changes are being made.
  • Onshape can accept many different file types and can export the most common file types. There isn't any issue with file incompatibility, ever.
  • Onshape is fairly new, so it is still adding features. There is a new, relevant update about every 3 weeks.
  • Since Onshape is run in the cloud, if you lose internet connection, as my company does fairly frequently, you are stuck until connection is restored.
  • There are some very useful features that other CAD systems have that Onshape hasn't yet implemented. The drawings in Onshape are the weakest point so far. There are many features that I would like to see implemented in drawings, but things are still in development.
  • Because of how Onshape is written and run, it does not run in microsoft browsers.
Onshape is an incredible collaboration tool. If you have a design team and work on your own product designs, Onshape will excel for your organization. That is where you can really take advantage of the cloud architecture. It is less useful when you are working on projects individually, but still incredibly powerful. Onshape is also great for manufacturing engineers because it can be taken onto the factory floor and easily put to use creating tooling fixtures right at the machine.
Read R. Dirk Price's full review
Evan Reese profile photo
January 08, 2018

Review: "Onshape is really great, and getting better."

We use Onshape to develop products for prototyping and manufacturing. All of our mechanical engineering and industrial design people use Onshape, for at least some work. It's powerful, affordable, cloud-based CAD, which solves a lot of things for us.
  • Cloud CAD is awesome for so many reasons.
  • You can't crash and lose work.
  • You're always up to date with the latest version.
  • You can run it on any computer or tablet and don't need an expensive workhorse computer.
  • You can easily collaborate with team members, even at long distances.
  • You can control all of your files and who has access to them, so if you want to share data with several potential vendors, you can do that and revoke access once you pick one. You can prevent copies of the files from being made.
  • Built-in revision history and versioning: no need for Solidworks PDM or some system to check files in and out to work on them. You also never need to make a file copy to experiment with a new direction. You can always get back to any step since the file was made.
  • Clean and logical user interface. I've used Solidworks, Rhino, Alias, and Fusion 360. Onshape's UI is by far my favorite.
  • Custom features with Featurescript. For certain types of users, this will be a game changer. It lets you automate tasks that once had to be very manual.
  • Always getting updated. It's like Christmas.
  • It doesn't have the feature set yet for certain things. I use a lot of surfacing, for example, and while Onshape is moving in that direction (and making great progress), Solidworks, Fusion 360, or Rhino currently blow it out of the water (as of this writing, but they are improving fast).
  • You know how I said I love the UI. I love it except the lack of icons in certain menus. All of the options are just text, so it can be hard to find them sometimes.
  • Obviously, Cloud has the disadvantage of being tied to internet connectivity. If you know you have spotty internet, then you're going to be frustrated by Onshape.
Onshape is easy to learn, especially coming from Solidworks. It's also free to use (though your documents are not private) so it could be great for a hobbyist looking to model something for 3D printing or building. I also like the subscription model that doesn't create a big initial barrier to entry. When I struck out on my own, the up-front cost of Solidworks was a non-starter. Onshape's monthly fee is reasonable.

There are also many things that are just easier in Onshape, and it's clear to me that the product team is very thoughtful over there.
Read Evan Reese's full review
Mike Jacob Fischthal profile photo
January 05, 2018

Review: "OnShape is the ideal solution for quickly prototyping by making revisions super simple"

I use OnShape a lot personally as a quick way to iterate through designs for functional 3D printing and laser cutting. [For] Advanced students I show OnShape as the next step up from TinkerCAD because it allows much more accurate design and ease of making revisions.
  • Allow for easy and fast design of functional parts that need to meet specific requirements
  • Allows for easy iteration of designs with the timeline and ability to use variables
  • Allows for easy use of multiple measurement systems - You can define a circle in mm and its distance in inches. And OnShape saves the formula and not just the value. So you can go back and change 1/2in to 1/4 in and not have to edit 0.5 to 0.25 (as a basic example)
  • You can mix measurement systems and define a shape with something like 2 inches + 5mm
  • Easy access to featurescripts that are useful should be more called out and described
  • Quick export of designs for laser cutting without having to generate a drawing
  • Formatted export of designs for laser cutting by designating various lines as certain colors and giving everything a stroke width of .001
If you have to make an accurate prototype and you know you are going to want to iterate and improve, Onshape is perfect. It saves you from having to start over. The ability to fork designs is great as well to go back to versions you've long since digressed from.
Read Mike Jacob Fischthal's full review
Dave Seeman profile photo
December 19, 2017

Onshape Review: "Most lovable CAD software"

Onshape is one of several CAD programs we use, but for me, it is the go-to tool. Onshape's cloud-based CAD means I can work from my MacBook without installing any software. I just log in and all the most recent features are there - and they're constantly adding features. It's also extremely easy to collaborate on CAD and share documents because you only have to share a URL. It's also more secure because you can prevent downloads and you don't have to share files that can get passed along. My favorite aspect of Onshape is their implementation of common CAD features. So far it is superior to any other CAD program in my opinion, although most CAD programs have a larger feature set from being around longer or acquiring more products. Still, none are as intuitive as Onshape.
  • Solid modeling and sketching in Onshape are by far superior to other programs.
  • Sharing documents (not files) with stakeholders is incredibly easy and very secure.
  • Ability to use it anywhere on any computer without installing software is fantastic.
  • Onshape's support is completely unmatched.
  • Surface modeling definitely has a long way to go with basic tools still missing.
  • Their sheet metal implementation takes some getting used to, but it is powerful. Still no form tools, only basic bends.
I believe Onshape could be adopted by almost any organization, as long as the modeling tools you need are there. If you're extremely dependent on advanced surface or sheet metal tools you'll struggle with Onshape alone. If you rely heavily on simulation that is built into your CAD program, Onshape may also not be ideal for you. If Onshape is right for your organization, you're going to love it not like it.
Read Dave Seeman's full review
Steven Silva profile photo
December 18, 2017

User Review: "OnShape is an excellent value"

We're a small team, and I'm currently the only user. OnShape was our choice mainly because it's affordable, but coming from a SolidWorks background (8+ years previously), I find it very easy to use and more than powerful enough for our projects.
  • Ease of use. If you've used SolidWorks or other similar packages, it will be easy to pick up. Plus, being cloud and browser based, I've experienced pretty much zero issues. It doesn't crash or freeze or ever lose data.
  • Speed. Loading times are quick, and design time is fairly streamlined. I'm honestly not sure how they do it. I'm used to SolidWorks where it's a massive install requiring powerful hardware, and still running into lag or other issues.
  • Support. I've reported one small bug, and it was fixed in the next update, within probably a week. I didn't have to do anything, the software is just always up to date. Plus it seems they're always adding new features and functionality, so I'm confident it will stay current.
  • One thing I've been running into is revision control. They use versions and have a version tree, but to me it hasn't been very intuitive. I need to take the time to look up some tutorials and get that under control, so it's partially on me.
Hard to say from my experience how it would do for larger teams or for collaborating, because I'm the only user in our organization, but it seems like it's well suited for that. I also don't deal much with large assemblies, so I can't comment on that. It's been great for us for small simple product and component design, and especially for designing prototypes.
Read Steven Silva's full review
January 08, 2018

Onshape Review: "Fantastic alternative to Solidworks"

Our engineers use Onshape as an alternative to Solidworks. They use it for 3D CAD for consumer products. Personally, I love using onshape for woodworking. It gives me an opportunity to design a piece of furniture and play with dimensions before I ever start the project.
  • Working and sharing files with other users
  • Simple and intuitive UI
  • Great support and help docs
  • Sheet metal design
  • Simulation
Great if you are a single user and looking for cloud based 3D CAD. Also great if you collaborate with others on a single project.
December 18, 2017

Review: "Onshape makes design and collaboration easy"

We are using Onshape in the design of wind turbine devices. We have used it both to create models to feed into CFD analysis in SimScale and to design more-detailed components, prototype mounting frames, etc. It is used across the whole organization.
  • Assemblies - the new assembly tool is much faster and easier to use than any other CAD system that I have used.
  • Collaboration - Onshape is specifically designed for collaboration, and allows teams to create whole projects and share them with each other. Advanced version control, and the ability to send view-only links through a web browser, even to people who don't have the tool, makes collaboration very useful.
  • Updates - because it is hosted in the cloud, OnShape is able to more quickly push software updates without having to worry about developing for a large number of operating systems and computer versions.
  • I'm learning the sheet metal tool right now, and I found it to be not particularly intuitive. Still haven't reached out for support, but a lot of the automatic features do not seem to be working the way that I would expect.
  • Minor point, but I wish it was easier to import different file formats. When working with companies who use different CAD systems, it has taken time to figure out how to share and import files that they provided. Imports of assemblies from solidworks goes ok, but requires that it be pre-packaged into the pack and go tool before import.
  • Can't think of another con - overall it's a great tool and I have had very few problems with it!
Well-suited to projects which require a lot of collaboration, and real-time document sharing. It's also great for projects where it's convenient to store lots of project files and specifications in the same place. I've enjoyed using it in collaboration with SimScale's software, where I can directly import Onshape files for FEA, CFD, or Thermal Analysis. If you've used Solidworks before, it is also a very easy learning curve to switch - can't speak to other CAD systems.
December 19, 2017

User Review: "Onshape vs Solidworks"

Onshape is used for R&D on new products.
  • Low price
  • Does not need a very powerful computer
  • Drawing is difficult to use
  • Configuration builder
  • Center of gravity on assembly
Onshape is great for startup companies or new companies looking to implement an easy CAD software for employees. Also good for hobbyists looking to learn CAD.

Onshape Scorecard Summary

About Onshape

Onshape is a cloud-based CAD system.

Onshape Technical Details