OpenText Magellan is being used to fulfill specific reporting requirements across the whole company. The reports are served to users through links or being embedded within custom solutions. OpenText Magellan allows us to provide reporting capabilities to our custom solutions. The ability to generate complex reports even allowed us to replace some screens in our solutions with Magellan reports. Users don't really know they are accessing a different solution for their reports, which makes up for very smooth user experience.
- Ability to connect to different kinds of sources, including web services, and customize those queries to the extend needed
- Provide tools to customize the look & feel of the reports as much as needed, even being able to choose different appearances for different outputs
- Allowing scripting in the reports extends the functionality available
- Allowing to embed reports without further licensing and maintaining all the functionality
- The documentation on all the available features, but most importantly on the scripting side, can be improved
- The standard look & feel of some basic options, like parameter selection or sorting and filtering, looks dated and can't be customized
- The server portal needs to provide better tools
- More integration is needed with other OpenText products
OpenText Magellan is very good for very complex reporting where the user just needs to see the final output but doesn't require much interaction with the report itself. It is also very good at exporting to different types of outputs. OpenText Magellan doesn't seem that easy to use when you need to interact with data (mainly if you don't have IT skills).