Reviews (1-9 of 9)
January 24, 2015
We are using it to present reports to customers and to our executives for our rich media advertising business. Our entire business uses this as a reporting platform. We had internally developed reporting, that worked well, but was hard to support and extend and expensive to maintain. We also wanted to embed it in another application to include customer facing reporting in the platform they use.
- In terms of extensibility this is the best reporting platform we have seen. You can build very sophisticated reports with different data sources, and extend the basic functionality with javscript code
- Securing the BI system is also a strength and the system can be configured relatively easily.
- Reports can be available on mobile devices
- We have found a ton of bugs in there, our implementation is very complex and we use a lot of features, but we wish there were less bugs. Particularly with parameter display and validation.
- Actuate has decided not to continue to support the birtondemand platform and it is running on older versions of their main platform.
- Building out security extensibility is rather complex.
- They have not had a rest interface until new versions of iHub.
Read Christopher Noyes's full review
If you do not have a large budget and are a large organization, I would steer clear of Actuate. If you are looking to do very complex washboarding, I would not use them. Your developers have to be very skilled to work with this. Plan to bring in consultants if necessary to help your process. Adhoc reporting is weak. If your pricing is user based and you expand, this could be very expensive.
March 18, 2015
Score 6 out of 10
Actuate is being used by selected user groups across the entire organization. It allows us to bring in data from multiple sources and evaluate performance under consolidated locations and measures.
Read Lynn Kutz's full review
Scorecard without the Birt360 module is very limited in reporting and data displays. End users who are not computer savvy would have a difficult time using the advanced features.
October 13, 2014
Actuate's open source BIRT is used as an integrated reporting solution to provide data exporting and visualization of client project portfolios that empowers them with information to aid in better decisions.
- The report outputs can vary across different types such as HTML, PDF, and Excel
- Their open source offering is very sufficient
- There are great boards and blogs for developers and engineers to expand and use their features.
- The people from the company that I've worked with are professional and courteous.
- The report designer can be unstable at times.
- The reporting engine tends to have memory leaks with certain types of massive-data reporting.
- The report graphics don't have the sexiest appeal (e.g. Glossy feel, animated output)
- Some extensibility is extremely difficult to get to without purchasing a license (e.g. Setting a simple flag so that HTML outputs in compressed mode requires either creating your own emitter or going the paid route)
Read Bri Gipson's full review
It depends on extensibility, set-up, access & style. Actuate performs fairly well, but has performance issues because it sits on top of eclipse, which sits on top of Java. Extensibility usually comes at that price. Set-up is fairly straightforward and it can be secured.
September 19, 2014
Score 8 out of 10
Actuate is an embedded part of several of our applications. It helps us deliver information content via reports to end users and it allows the user to customize the reports with many excel like features such as sorting, aggregation, font changes, hide/show, etc.
- End user ability to customize Business Intelligence Reporting Tools (BIRT)
- Actuate Support is usually prompt and helpful.
- Ability to embed in other applications, has extendable code for authenticating/authorizing users.
- Licensing is a bear.
Read Amy Broome's full review
What is the licensing structure? How long does it take to get licenses? Can an OEM reseller of Actuate get one license for the entire development organization?
September 17, 2014
Score 6 out of 10
Actuate was being used with IBM Maximo to generate reports from our CMMS system. The reporting software served as our primary reporting tool and paper work order generation mechanism. Its availability and continuity were crucial to the maintenance and indirect procurement functions.
- The software can be tied to Actuate Basic which is much like MS Visual Basic and can provide an almost custom application feel to some reports.
- Actuate had field movement tools that allowed a user to line rows up and disperse them across a report based off the width. Comparative tools like Crystal did not provide these.
- The Actuate Server also gave easy access to review who had been running a report or reports via its web interface.
- The debug tool that came with the Actuate 8 developer was poorly written in my opinion; compiling a report could be very difficult when a number of functions were being called.
- There wasn't any reporting that could be run to download Actuate utilization statistics. Analytics had to be done by manually reviewing who had been running reports.
- At times when the Actuate Server would become overloaded the only solution was to restart it. There wasn't a way to clear up the list of pending report requests.
Read Todd Bellamy's full review
Be sure to ask about pricing. If I remember correctly the pricing is by processor core, which can get VERY expensive in a large organization with multiple locations. I would say Actuate would be best suited for a medium/large sized organization with 1000-2500 employees with a dedicated team of software developers. If the organization needs someone who can get up and running quickly developing reports and where it is not the primary responsibility then I would recommend an alternative product like Crystal Reports.
Actuate is being used to understand extracts from current systems. It is used for IT internally only. This tool is also being used for data extractions.
Read Shawn Thomas's full review
What can it do that is better than the rest?
- Actuate has permitted us to create stronger visualizations of data and customer data for our clients so they can make better decisions about the course of their businesses.
- Birt Analytics integrates with Salesforce.com, Microsoft Dynamics, Xcel in a short period of time and permits stronger massaging of data and integration with better "what if"scenarios.
- The ROI on this product is remarkable.
- Employees who visualize the data and other components who have been questioning the direction of management change their focus upon what they can do to improve the company. Managers who are "micro-managers of data" actually begin to visualize where some of the sub-strata they have wasted time is impairing company results.
- Customer support for their products is excellent. If you need support on site they are there when you need them.
- Anything that I would consider an area for improvement and have asked about from the company is a area where they are already doing development and refinement and when it is available it comes as a simple upgrade.
Read Jeffrey Fischer's full review
What's holding you back?
September 11, 2014
Actuate is the standardized reporting platform for seamless integration of custom schedule and ad hoc reporting into our internally built applications. Reports are made available across the firm in all lines of business and support services allowing access to data from our core repository. There are both dynamic (allowing the passing of parameters) and static reporting available.
- We integrate page level security allowing a single report to service audiences of 20,000+ consumers but only deliveing the data in the vast data set applicable to the consumer.
- Publish common components allowing the development staff to deliver consistent look and feel based on the standard firm style guide.
- Reusable library objects allow for fast deployment of new application reports.
- Report rendering can take a long time for large reports (250,000+ pages) - we run these in batch over night
- The deployment of production code from development to test to production enviroments can be complex due to the number of components that must compile
Read this authenticated review
e.Report Designer Professional and the report output is suited to application embedded reports - but we also use the product to publish information for data analysts and finance deeper analysis.
- The performance of Actuate IServer is tremendous. It can handle a large volume of reports with many concurrent users.
- We can do anything in Actuate. We can write our own function, procedures, methods in Actuate. Basically we can create our own framework in Actuate. No other reporting tool is proving this functionality.
- It supports the OLTP system very well. The data can be flowed easily from one report to another report, by using array.
- Control level formatting is available.
- Support for more databases, such as other BI tools.
- There can be more graph types.
Read this authenticated review
If you are a techie and love to face challenges, then Actuate is the choice. You can do anything in Actuate. It has nice security features page level security.
OpenText Magellan Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About OpenText Magellan
Categories: Data Discovery and Visualization, Data Science, Full-Stack Business Intelligence, Machine Learning, Predictive Analytics, Business Intelligence (BI)
OpenText Magellan Screenshots
A Magellan BI & Reporting dashboard that an individual can interact with and personalize to their needs, such as changing chart types or computations.Magellan Data Discovery provides a Smart User Interface, designed to equip new users and users seeking a more streamlined set of features for insightsMagellan Data Discovery provides an Advanced User Interface that allows data analytics pros to leverage its breadth of sophisticated capabilities for insightsMagellan Text Mining insights can be displayed within easy-to-use dashboards.Data scientists can create visualizations within the Magellan Notebook and see it dynamically update as they write changes to it.
OpenText Magellan Competitors
OpenText Magellan Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux|
|Supported Languages:||Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish|