Return to navigation
OpenText Magellan Analytics Suite leverages a comprehensive set of data analytics software to identify patterns, relationships and trends through data visualizations and interactive dashboards.Read more
Read all reviews
There are multiple business problems you get from your clients where you need to study a lot of unstructured data. It could be ranging …
OpenText Magellan is being used to fulfill specific reporting requirements across the whole company. The reports are served to users …
Actuate is being used by selected user groups across the entire organization. It allows us to bring in data from multiple sources and …
We are using it to present reports to customers and to our executives for our rich media advertising business. Our entire business uses …
Actuate's open source BIRT is used as an integrated reporting solution to provide data exporting and visualization of client project …
Actuate is being used to understand extracts from current systems. It is used for IT internally only. This tool is also being used for …
Actuate is an embedded part of several of our applications. It helps us deliver information content via reports to end users and it allows …
Actuate was being used with IBM Maximo to generate reports from our CMMS system. The reporting software served as our primary reporting …
Actuate is the standardized reporting platform for seamless integration of custom schedule and ad hoc reporting into our internally built …
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of OpenText Magellan, and make your voice heard!
Return to navigation
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
4 people want pricing too
Return to navigation
Introducing OpenText Magellan
Return to navigation
OpenText Magellan is a flexible AI and Analytics platform that combines open source machine learning with advanced analytics, enterprise-grade BI, and capabilities to acquire, merge, manage and analyze Big Data and Big Content stored in your Enterprise Information Management systems. Magellan enables machine-assisted decision making, automation, and business optimization.
- Supported: Administration via Web Interface
- Supported: Live Connection to External Data
- Supported: Snapshot of External Data
- Supported: In-memory data model
- Supported: Multi-Data Source Reporting (Blending)
- Supported: Data warehouse / dictionary layer
- Supported: ETL Capability
- Supported: ETL Scheduler
- Supported: MS Excel Workbooks
- Supported: Text Files (CSV, etc)
- Supported: Oracle
- Supported: MS SQL Server
- Supported: IBM DB2
- Supported: Postgres
- Supported: MySQL
- Supported: ODBC
- Supported: Cloudera Hadoop
- Supported: Hortonworks Hadoop
- Supported: Salesforce
- Supported: Customizable dashboards
- Supported: Report Formatting Templates
- Supported: Drill-down analysis
- Supported: Formatting capabilities
- Supported: Predictive modeling
- Supported: Integration with R or other statistical packages
- Supported: Report sharing and collaboration
- Supported: Publish to Web
- Supported: Publish to PDF
- Supported: Output Raw Supporting Data
- Supported: Report Versioning
- Supported: Report Delivery Scheduling
- Supported: Pre-built visualization formats (heatmaps, scatter plots etc.)
- Supported: Predictive Analytics
- Supported: Support for Machine Learning models
- Supported: Pattern Recognition and Data Mining
- Supported: Integration with R or other statistical packages
- Supported: Role-Based Security Model
- Supported: Multiple Access Permission Levels (Create, Read, Delete)
- Supported: Report-Level Access Control
- Supported: Table-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
- Supported: Field-Level Access Control (BI-layer)
- Supported: Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Supported: Responsive Design for Web Access
- Supported: Dashboard / Report / Visualization Interactivity on Mobile
- Supported: REST API
- Supported: Java API
- Supported: Themeable User Interface (UI)
- Supported: Customizable Platform (Open Source)
An introduction to OpenText Magellan, which provides AI and analytics to enable machine-assisted decision making, automation, and business optimization for your business.
|Operating Systems||Windows, Linux|
|Supported Languages||Chinese, English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish|
OpenText Magellan Analytics Suite leverages a comprehensive set of data analytics software to identify patterns, relationships and trends through data visualizations and interactive dashboards.
Reviewers rate Formatting capabilities highest, with a score of 8.
The most common users of OpenText Magellan are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Computer Software industry.
Return to navigation
Microsoft Power BI
Microsoft BI (MSBI)
Azure Machine Learning
IBM Watson Machine Learning
IBM Cognos Analytics with Watson
CompareTry free for 30 days
Talend Data Integration
Teradata Data Warehouse Appliance 2850
Companies can't remove reviews or game the system. Here's why
There are multiple business problems you get from your clients where you need to study a lot of unstructured data. It could be ranging from social media analytics or call centre data or any review data. Text mining is the process of deriving high-quality information from text. This software is much intuitive and easy to use. Text mining goes beyond simply searching for keywords. It uses powerful algorithms to analyse that content, determine what a given piece of text is about and assess its relevance. We have use cases of this software in helping multiple industries' clients pre-dominantly in Retail and CPG. Sentiment analysis and text segmentation are key project types that we use this software for. Generally, we used to have Python and R text libraries to solve these issues but this software simplifies the process and reduces the requirement of coding.
- Sentiment analysis for one of the gaming client
- Text segmentation for social media analysis
- Summary creation from multi page documents
- Image processing and understanding
- Video analytics, there is a huge scope there
- Manual intervention or scope of customization
For any analysis related to text, it is quite useful. For any image and video-related unstructured, there is a huge room for improvement. Sentiment analysis is much widely used across the industries nowadays to understand the depth of any text; there is so much unstructured data available with companies. A lot can be interpreted from them, tools like these are a great way to start analysing that data.
Never faced any issue in support.
OpenText Magellan is being used to fulfill specific reporting requirements across the whole company. The reports are served to users through links or being embedded within custom solutions. OpenText Magellan allows us to provide reporting capabilities to our custom solutions. The ability to generate complex reports even allowed us to replace some screens in our solutions with Magellan reports. Users don't really know they are accessing a different solution for their reports, which makes up for very smooth user experience.
- Ability to connect to different kinds of sources, including web services, and customize those queries to the extend needed
- Provide tools to customize the look & feel of the reports as much as needed, even being able to choose different appearances for different outputs
- Allowing scripting in the reports extends the functionality available
- Allowing to embed reports without further licensing and maintaining all the functionality
- The documentation on all the available features, but most importantly on the scripting side, can be improved
- The standard look & feel of some basic options, like parameter selection or sorting and filtering, looks dated and can't be customized
- The server portal needs to provide better tools
- More integration is needed with other OpenText products
OpenText Magellan is very good for very complex reporting where the user just needs to see the final output but doesn't require much interaction with the report itself. It is also very good at exporting to different types of outputs. OpenText Magellan doesn't seem that easy to use when you need to interact with data (mainly if you don't have IT skills).
Actuate is being used by selected user groups across the entire organization. It allows us to bring in data from multiple sources and evaluate performance under consolidated locations and measures.
- Easy data import
- Multiple levels of user security
- Limited report writing ability unless you implant the iServer applications
- End users have little or no control over data displays
Scorecard without the Birt360 module is very limited in reporting and data displays. End users who are not computer savvy would have a difficult time using the advanced features.
We are using it to present reports to customers and to our executives for our rich media advertising business. Our entire business uses this as a reporting platform. We had internally developed reporting, that worked well, but was hard to support and extend and expensive to maintain. We also wanted to embed it in another application to include customer facing reporting in the platform they use.
- In terms of extensibility this is the best reporting platform we have seen. You can build very sophisticated reports with different data sources, and extend the basic functionality with javscript code
- Securing the BI system is also a strength and the system can be configured relatively easily.
- Reports can be available on mobile devices
- We have found a ton of bugs in there, our implementation is very complex and we use a lot of features, but we wish there were less bugs. Particularly with parameter display and validation.
- Actuate has decided not to continue to support the birtondemand platform and it is running on older versions of their main platform.
- Building out security extensibility is rather complex.
- They have not had a rest interface until new versions of iHub.
If you do not have a large budget and are a large organization, I would steer clear of Actuate. If you are looking to do very complex washboarding, I would not use them. Your developers have to be very skilled to work with this. Plan to bring in consultants if necessary to help your process. Adhoc reporting is weak. If your pricing is user based and you expand, this could be very expensive.
Actuate's open source BIRT is used as an integrated reporting solution to provide data exporting and visualization of client project portfolios that empowers them with information to aid in better decisions.
- The report outputs can vary across different types such as HTML, PDF, and Excel
- Their open source offering is very sufficient
- There are great boards and blogs for developers and engineers to expand and use their features.
- The people from the company that I've worked with are professional and courteous.
- The report designer can be unstable at times.
- The reporting engine tends to have memory leaks with certain types of massive-data reporting.
- The report graphics don't have the sexiest appeal (e.g. Glossy feel, animated output)
- Some extensibility is extremely difficult to get to without purchasing a license (e.g. Setting a simple flag so that HTML outputs in compressed mode requires either creating your own emitter or going the paid route)
It depends on extensibility, set-up, access & style. Actuate performs fairly well, but has performance issues because it sits on top of eclipse, which sits on top of Java. Extensibility usually comes at that price. Set-up is fairly straightforward and it can be secured.
Actuate is being used to understand extracts from current systems. It is used for IT internally only. This tool is also being used for data extractions.
- Flexibility of the product
- Able to make applications do what they need
- Fairly quick learning scale.
- Organizing of the pieces could flow better.
What can it do that is better than the rest?
Actuate is an embedded part of several of our applications. It helps us deliver information content via reports to end users and it allows the user to customize the reports with many excel like features such as sorting, aggregation, font changes, hide/show, etc.
- End user ability to customize Business Intelligence Reporting Tools (BIRT)
- Actuate Support is usually prompt and helpful.
- Ability to embed in other applications, has extendable code for authenticating/authorizing users.
- Licensing is a bear.
What is the licensing structure? How long does it take to get licenses? Can an OEM reseller of Actuate get one license for the entire development organization?
Actuate was being used with IBM Maximo to generate reports from our CMMS system. The reporting software served as our primary reporting tool and paper work order generation mechanism. Its availability and continuity were crucial to the maintenance and indirect procurement functions.
- The software can be tied to Actuate Basic which is much like MS Visual Basic and can provide an almost custom application feel to some reports.
- Actuate had field movement tools that allowed a user to line rows up and disperse them across a report based off the width. Comparative tools like Crystal did not provide these.
- The Actuate Server also gave easy access to review who had been running a report or reports via its web interface.
- The debug tool that came with the Actuate 8 developer was poorly written in my opinion; compiling a report could be very difficult when a number of functions were being called.
- There wasn't any reporting that could be run to download Actuate utilization statistics. Analytics had to be done by manually reviewing who had been running reports.
- At times when the Actuate Server would become overloaded the only solution was to restart it. There wasn't a way to clear up the list of pending report requests.
Be sure to ask about pricing. If I remember correctly the pricing is by processor core, which can get VERY expensive in a large organization with multiple locations. I would say Actuate would be best suited for a medium/large sized organization with 1000-2500 employees with a dedicated team of software developers. If the organization needs someone who can get up and running quickly developing reports and where it is not the primary responsibility then I would recommend an alternative product like Crystal Reports.
Actuate is the standardized reporting platform for seamless integration of custom schedule and ad hoc reporting into our internally built applications. Reports are made available across the firm in all lines of business and support services allowing access to data from our core repository. There are both dynamic (allowing the passing of parameters) and static reporting available.
- We integrate page level security allowing a single report to service audiences of 20,000+ consumers but only deliveing the data in the vast data set applicable to the consumer.
- Publish common components allowing the development staff to deliver consistent look and feel based on the standard firm style guide.
- Reusable library objects allow for fast deployment of new application reports.
- Report rendering can take a long time for large reports (250,000+ pages) - we run these in batch over night
- The deployment of production code from development to test to production enviroments can be complex due to the number of components that must compile
e.Report Designer Professional and the report output is suited to application embedded reports - but we also use the product to publish information for data analysts and finance deeper analysis.
- The performance of Actuate IServer is tremendous. It can handle a large volume of reports with many concurrent users.
- We can do anything in Actuate. We can write our own function, procedures, methods in Actuate. Basically we can create our own framework in Actuate. No other reporting tool is proving this functionality.
- It supports the OLTP system very well. The data can be flowed easily from one report to another report, by using array.
- Control level formatting is available.
- Support for more databases, such as other BI tools.
- There can be more graph types.
If you are a techie and love to face challenges, then Actuate is the choice. You can do anything in Actuate. It has nice security features page level security.
- Actuate has permitted us to create stronger visualizations of data and customer data for our clients so they can make better decisions about the course of their businesses.
- Birt Analytics integrates with Salesforce.com, Microsoft Dynamics, Xcel in a short period of time and permits stronger massaging of data and integration with better "what if"scenarios.
- The ROI on this product is remarkable.
- Employees who visualize the data and other components who have been questioning the direction of management change their focus upon what they can do to improve the company. Managers who are "micro-managers of data" actually begin to visualize where some of the sub-strata they have wasted time is impairing company results.
- Customer support for their products is excellent. If you need support on site they are there when you need them.
- Anything that I would consider an area for improvement and have asked about from the company is a area where they are already doing development and refinement and when it is available it comes as a simple upgrade.
What's holding you back?
Always there on the front and backend for us and the client.