- Speeds up backup and restore.
- Improved performance for payroll processing
- Platinum support and proactive monitoring of database hardware
- Batch processing performance improvement.
- Platinum support patching has suffered lately in performance of the patching event
- Cost for additional applications such as RAC
- Cost of the hardware and support
This allows us to do testing and then restore the database and test again.
- It runs analytical workloads much faster.
- The HCC compression helps to reduce the storage cost and increase storage efficiency
- Ideal platform to consolidate database.
- It's difficult to find the cons.
- Entry cost may be high but if you compare overall cost with performance, then it's not a big factor.
- It does not support legacy database version.
I implemented a data warehouse on Exadata. Before this solution, we were aiming for this to be completed by 8 a.m., when our ETLs would finish. With the help of Exadata's special features, this was reduced to 3 a.m.
This solution allows us to bring more data within the same time period. It provides us with more subject areas that provide more reports to our users. Our ETL times reduced to 65%, then to 50%.
- Oracle Database : Deliver industry-leading security, high availability and scalability with Oracle Database, which has been significantly enhanced to take advantage of the Oracle Exadata Storage Servers.
- Exadata Smart Scan : Improve query performance by offloading intensive query processing and data mining scoring to scalable intelligent storage servers.
- Smart Flash Cache : Transparently cache 'hot' read and write data to fast solid-state storage, improving query response times and throughput. Exadata systems use the latest PCI flash technology rather than flash disks. PCI flash delivers ultra-high performance by placing flash directly on the high speed PCI bus rather than behind slow disk controllers.
- Hybrid Columnar Compression : Reduce the size of data warehousing tables by 10x, and archive tables by 50x, to improve performance and lower storage costs for primary, standby, and backup databases. Query high, query low, archive high and archive low.
- Infiniband Network : Connect multiple Oracle Exadata Database Machines using the InfiniBand fabric to form a larger single system image configuration. Each InfiniBand link provides 40 Gigabits of bandwidth–many times higher than traditional storage or server networks.
- Petabyte Scalability : Easily scale data warehouse to support enterprise data growth.
- There's nothing bad to say about Exadata. It's stable, durable, and always up and running. My DBAs do online patches and online backup.
- I would like to see more database features and maybe more archiving features, because we need to do data archiving. I would like to see additional database memory.
- It could be cheaper. :-)
- First, get the database on Oracle. If you are in an Oracle stack, it would be much better to use the Oracle products. If you are driving a Ferrari, you wouldn’t put a Mercedes engine in it. If you are writing a query, you cannot rely on other brands. Since I'm an architect, when I look for a product, I look for performance.
- The installation is easy because it comes out-of-the-box and you just start using it.
- Previous to Oracle Exadata, we were using a normal Oracle RAC service. We were just waiting for this product to come out.
I'm currently writing a data warehouse on Exadata. Before this solution, we were aiming for this to be completed by 8 a.m., when our ETLs would finish. With the help of Exadata's special features, this was reduced to 3 a.m. This solution allows us to bring more data within the same time period. It provides us with more subject areas that provide more reports to our users. Our ETL times reduced to 65%, then to 50%.
- Oracle is able to take a lot of data and put it into concise reports.
- Oracle is super fast, for the amount at data it needs to contain and access at any time.
- It might just be Banner, but the user interface is clunky when you're just getting started to learn it quickly and easily. It would be great if Banner had more customer service help lines as well.
- The smart scan and cell offloading churn through massive amounts of data in a far more efficient and timely manner than any other Oracle database platform option available.
- We did not have to change any application code to deploy on Exadata. We never allowed optimizer hints in our application code so we had zero issues when we upgraded.
- We actually were able to consolidate many databases onto a single Exadata box - far more than we had ever expected.
- I wish Exadata costs were just a little lower to overcome new users initial price shock. But once you see it in action the issue disappears.
- I wish the Exadata technology were available on non-Oracle hardware/servers. In theory it should be able to be done on other servers, but it's blocked by Oracle it seems.
- The new Exadata Express in the cloud is misleading, it does not have full smart scan capabilities. So people who try to experiment with Exadata first on the cloud may not see the real benefit and not understand why.
- Improved performance.
- In memory options.
Oracle Exadata Scorecard Summary
About Oracle Exadata
Oracle Exadata Technical Details