Reviews (1-12 of 12)
- High performance and it acts as JIT compiler. Optimizations like partial escape help a lot since it is not available in standard JIT compilers.
- Helps in running native languages on the JVM
- Helps in extension of JVM-Based application
- It is efficient for a smaller heap only as it impacts latency
- Generated native code is not fully efficient
- No thread dump and heap dump support
There's also spring framework support of GraalVM. Although it is at its initial stage, we can be hopeful that spring framework support does work and helps to improve using JAVA. This is a current limitation of GraalVM, but it can be overcome as per official information.
It is used to run the applications written in Kotlin, Python, Groovy, C++, and the interoperability is differentiated in the real-time shared runtime. We can also use the Native Image technology offered by GraalVM to compile the scripted applications well ahead of time before going into the binary code. The deployment and licensing costs approximately 25% less, reducing the overall cost.
- Performance is better because of latest compatibility with Java 11
- Standardized Software Development Kit and API design
- Multi language support to offer best services to international clients
- Supports all major programming languages
- Uses low memory
- Customer support can be improved
- Needs to support more integrations with micro services
With Oracle changing the JVM distribution license recently, GraalVM serves the purpose of managing the VM platform pretty efficiently. It is well suited for consistent process requirements. Since most of the companies depend heavily on Java for programming, GraalVM provides the best support for building Java applications and can be used for all products.
We can also mix programming languages in the same project, thus it removes the dependency of using a single programming language. This feature is provided by GraalVM and is known as "PolyGlot" apps.
- AOT compilation - Java Code To Native Image
- Minimal allocation of runtime memory
- Application starts in no time
- Works exceptionally well for Java applications, but more improvement is needed for non-Java applications.
As it supports many languages, creating software with multiple languages is a big advantage and provides flexibility for developers.
- Uniting various programming models in a single application
- Support for polyglot applications
- Faster execution of Java applications by creating ahead-of-time compiled native images
- Lower memory footprint
- Production-ready software
- Not all languages are supported by GraalVM.
Oracle GraalVM Enterprise Edition is being used in our department, and it has already proven to be highly beneficial and effective as it has been built to cater to enterprise-class application development on a global standard. It has shown significant improvements in application performance and efficiency due to its high-performance runtime.
- Multilingual Virtual Machine
- Run Programs Faster Anywhere
- Compiling applications ahead-of-time (AOT) into native Executable
- Can run either standalone or in the context of OpenJDK, Node.js or Oracle Database
- Lower Memory Footprint
- Compilation is not easy for all JVM code
1. Applications running in a regular just-in-time (JIT) compilation mode adding higher performance gains resulting from quality optimized algorithms.
2. Applications compiled ahead-of-time (AOT) into a native executable. It has the capability to run as a standalone application with instant startup having minimal memory footprint and minimal CPU utilization.
- Ahead-of-time compiled native images which start up faster
- Java libraries can be accessed from other programming languages.
- JIT compiler makes a long-running server process run even faster as time passes with optimization at runtime. Lack of this feature makes GraalVM not suited for certain applications
- All the libraries are not easily available or compiled down to GraalVM binary. Manual Involvement is needed to make some libraries work. Reflection-based libraries specifically do not work.
- There are runtime surprises in some cases and increases support needs
- Cloud Deployments make more sense with GraalVM due to the much lower memory footprints and faster startup times, at the same time reducing the billing.
- Smaller standalone native image deployments are more maintainable from a deployment PoV.
- Increased performance can reduce/eliminate the need to rewrite / port existing JVM based projects over to other languages, saving crucial time and money that can be better spent on solving newer problems or actually innovating, instead of chasing the same old problems with diminished returns on developer time and capital.
GraalVM Scorecard Summary
GraalVM Community is available for free for any use.
GraalVM Enterprise provides additional performance, security, and scalability relevant for running applications in production. Users can get a version of GraalVM Enterprise that is free for evaluation and developing new applications via the Oracle Technology Network (OTN), or a commercially licensed version for production use via the Oracle Store.
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Has featureFree or Freemium Version Available?Yes
- Has featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?Yes
- Entry-level set up fee?Optional
GraalVM Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|