Oracle Hospitality Reviews

Matt James profile photo
This is going to be a rough review, as I am not a fan of Oracle or Oracle Hospitality/Micros. For reference, I am going to refer Oracle Hospitality as Micros in the review because that is what we know it as. There are many different flavors of Micros and the particular one we were/are using was RES 3700. You'll notice I said we were/are using. As a short back story, we switched from another point of sale (POS) software to Micros about 5 years ago at a single location and then deployed it to new locations as they opened except for this year we went back to the original POS we had before Micros. We ended up rolling back to our previous POS after having nothing but constant issues with Micros from the day we installed it 5 years ago at all (except 1) of our locations. I won't go into specifics but Micros just is not a good choice for our business type. It is fantastic for the foodservice industry but outside of that, I cannot recommend it for family entertainment centers at all.
  • Great for bars and restaurants only.
  • Support is awful. Oracle does not directly support end-users and depends on resellers to offer support. So if there is a bug or breaking change, we have to jump through hoops to get something fixed.
  • Does not play well with other software or interfaces. There are interfaces but they lack a serious amount of features that are crucial to our business.
  • The guest facing hardware does not hold up to constant use very well.
  • The backend hardware is lacking in PCI compliance and is not meant for enterprise use.
  • The software itself looks as if it is stuck in the early 2000s and there has been no sign of an update in many years.
  • Reporting is difficult to set up and use and you have to rely on third-party reporting to get decent usable reports.
To anyone in my industry, I would not recommend this to them. However, if they are just a restaurant or a bar, then, yes. I can recommend it. Micros is just a software version of an analog cash register. Its only purpose is to ring in items and take payments, that's it. And it does that very well. If you need Micros to interface with other software you're going to have a bad time. FECs should stay away but restaurants/bars should jump on it.
Read Matt James's full review
Aaron Langguth profile photo
April 20, 2018

Approach with Caution

We use Micros 3700 as our sole POS for our 8 unit restaurant chain. We also use the back-end reporting (MyMicros) as a tool to analyze our company. The POS also includes a KDS unit, allowing our kitchen to receive orders electronically. Each restaurant has a minimum of 2 terminals, 1 KDS, 4 printers and an office server.
  • Micros' hardware has above average longevity, so long as you don't have a touchscreen in the kitchen.
  • Micros has a number of companies that allow integration into the POS, allowing you to add on pieces as you see fit.
  • Micros has significantly below average customer support. The help desk is actually quite helpful, but it ends there. They have a cost to just about everything you could want. Changing your menu will cost you $2000/yr.
  • Micros has many verticals that don't communicate well together, so if you need help in one area there isn't a lot of help from another.
I think you need to decide what features you want vs. need and make absolutely certain you know what you're getting. This is true for any POS system, but since Micros charges for everything, you could think you're saving money up front only to pay it all back in the end.
Read Aaron Langguth's full review
We use Micros PoS for our location, and we use it for a multitude of things including payment, cash, credit card & gift card, and customization of the screens our servers and bartenders see and use on a daily basis.
  • Customization (what is available and what is 86'd).
  • Customization of server and bartender screens.
  • Easy to fix any issues (once you know how to fix them in the first place).
  • Setting availability of items.
  • Setting specific availability count of items.
  • Pop up updates to update employees any time they sign in.
  • Difficult to learn "coding" screen setup.
  • Outdated back of house operating system.
  • Hardware space - We always seem to run out of space on our back of house computer due to the size of the MICROS files.
  • Customer service is subpar. Reps on the phone never seem to know who I need to be transferred to to resolve my issue.
  • Hold time on customer service phone line. Every time I've called MICROS for help the call never takes less than 30+ minutes.
  • Customer service operations consistency. There's always a different solution for an issue when I call.
Micros PoS is well suited for small business and large ones alike. The system can be customized to all different sizes and forms of businesses needing a PoS solution. It might be less appropriate for large scale business where quick and friendly customer service for help is needed.

Oracle Hospitality Scorecard Summary

About Oracle Hospitality

Oracle Hospitality is the successor to MICROS eCommerce software, modular software dedicated to the needs of airlines, hotels and resports, sport venues, restaurants and bars, and others.

The MICROS Point-of-Sale (PoS) systems are available and now offered by Oracle since the acquisition of MICROS Systems in 2014, and are now part of the Oracle Hospitality Suite.