Score 8.5 out of 10

What is Otter.ai?

Otter.ai headquartered in Los Altos states users can generate rich notes for meetings, interviews, lectures, and other important voice conversations with Otter, their AI-powered assistant for note taking, meeting highlights, and transcription.

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Otter.ai, and make your voice heard!

Pro

per user/per month

Business

$30

per user/per month

Basic

Free

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://otter.ai/pricing

Starting price (does not include set up fee)

• $12.99 per month

What is Otter.ai?

Otter.ai Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based

Otter.ai starts at $12.99.

The most common users of Otter.ai are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees).

Gavin Scott-Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
Otter.ai is a great piece of software that can be used to record conversations & meetings. It helps for reviewing meetings notes and action items after meetings. It assists with the process of ensuring that no notes are left behind and that action items are followed through on. Otter.ai is a great guide for your business processes, keeping everyone aboveboard & reducing time in review.
  • Meeting Recording
  • Transcripts
  • Sharing transcripts with meeting minutes
  • Action items
  • Pricing
  • Organization
Otter.ai is a great piece of software for your business, easy to use, easy to train employees on, and great for sharing recordings of meetings notes. I think it has some room to grow in review features, tagging action items is a specific area that I think would be an incredible feature for them to add.
  • Audio Recording
  • Calendar Sync
  • Cheap for a business cost
  • High cost for the feature set - Would like to see more features.
  • Overall helpful for important conversations and meeting notes.
Otter.ai is in a recording category of its own. There are a few other apps on the app store that allow for recording transcription. But not to the level or other added features Otter.ai adds. I think the software is really good for business processes and procedures and can help a lot of people out.
Lesley Myrick | TrustRadius Reviewer
I produce a short weekly video show with design tips, and I use Otter.ai to record and transcribe the audio so that I can turn the text into a blog post. It saves me so much time!
  • Audio recording
  • Transcription
  • Words aren't always transcribed correctly
  • Otter.ai sometimes has a hard time differentiating speakers
I love Otter.ai to quickly produce audio transcripts from voice recordings. It does take some "finessing" to turn the transcript into a readable blog post, but I appreciate the the bulk of the info is captured correctly.
  • Free!
  • Easy transcription
  • Saves so much time
  • Saves time on writing blog posts
  • Less time spent = less time paid
Asana, Zoom, Loom
Our communications team is the only group using Otter.ai. We use it to transcribe interviews for content development. We often have interviews with employees and clients that range from a few minutes to an hour or longer, and it's too time-intensive to manually transcribe them. Otter.ai simplifies the process for us and provides very clean transcription.
  • Clean transcription
  • Quick process
  • Saving projects to revisit later
  • We don't have the option of creating SRT files for subtitling videos
  • We are on the free plan so we are limited to only three uploads
It is very well suited to transcribing videos; it seems best for live transcription rather than transcription of imported media. If we need to create closed captioning or subtitling for videos, we aren't able to use Otter.ai for that process; we have to use a different tool to create those files.
  • Quick transcription
  • Quality of transcription
  • Sharing transcriptions across our team
  • It has allowed us to transcribe videos more quickly, providing a time savings.
  • We can transcribe a number of media pieces that we can then use the transcribed content across platforms as needed
We didn't seriously evaluate any other tools; we found Otter.ai and it immediately fit our needs and situation.
Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365)
As a preacher, it is helpful for me to go back and review a written transcript of various sermons I have preached. Otter.ai helps me by providing me with a transcription of my spoken message. I can go back and see if I am using redundant words or if I am trying to fit too many words into a single message. Additionally, I can take the transcript that Otter.ai provides me with, and I can see at what grade level my communication is at.
  • Provides excellent audio transcriptions.
  • Helps spoken communicators assess their messages.
  • Provides accurate spacing in the transcript where there are pauses in the recording.
  • The transcriptions stop at the 45 minute mark - wish this was longer.
  • Sometimes the transcription will dictate the incorrect word or spelling of a word.
  • It takes a while to upload the audio transcript to the website.
Otter.ai is an excellent tool for any public speaker who would like to obtain a written transcript of a message they have given. It is helpful as well for providing a written transcript of a recorded conversation, especially if you need to provide a record of what was said to you in a sensitive discussion that you happened to legally record on your phone. The one scenario I would not recommend using Otter.ai for would be if one needed this audio recording quickly, as it does take some time to upload the recording (and then possibly format it).
  • Audio transcription is crucial.
  • The free option is nice for the cash-strapped public speaker.
  • Ability to upload simple audio recordings is helpful as well.
  • Otter.ai has helped me become a better public speaker..
  • Otter.ai has helped me provide helpful self-criticism of my public speaking.
  • Otter.ai has helped me be more thoughtful in my word usage, thus reaching my listeners better.
Trint was more difficult to use and would not easily upload my audio recording. In contrast, however, Otter.ai was much more user friendly and easily uploaded my audio transcript. If you are looking for an audio transcription service that doesn't require a complex knowledge of software like this, then I would heartily recommend Otter.ai over Trint!
Todoist: To-Do List & Task Manager, Wix, Wufoo, Church Community Builder, Pushpay
🌟 Richard Rothstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Otter.ai for transcriptions of interviews that I do for marketing and thought leadership purposes. I do interviews to appear in other outlets and to be adapted into print form. This is important because I use it for lead gen. This previously would have taken me hours. Now it takes me seconds to minutes.
  • Notifications
  • Integrations
  • Limits of account levels
  • Use when not integrated into Zoom
  • Import limitations
It's well suited if you have meetings, sales calls, or interviews that you need to have notes about. For sales calls, it's useful to have to reference back to for what happened and what was said. For internal meetings, it's great at identifying repeat speakers, so if you have a second meeting with the same team, knowing who said what is super easy. Interviews for marketing purposes, like podcasts, are also a great opportunity to leverage that content for SEO in a powerful way.
  • Time savings