Owler is a sales intelligence app from the company of the same name San Mateo, providing competitive insights, company information, and other sales relevant information.Fantastic tool to stay up to date on company and industry news!We use Owler on our Sales and Marketing teams to keep tabs on our named accounts and industry news. It is a great "dynamic" rss feed that doesn't require a great deal of manual work, and the manual work that it does require is pretty simple and light. Great to help us stay up to date on industry news and arms us with good background info for sales/marketing outreach.,Great industry info. Really good industry- or company-specific rss feed. Love the funding/merger/acquisition alerts that we get on companies and portfolios that we follow. Often even more timely than Crunchbase since it's based on press releases rather than Crunchbase's data team reaching out to VCs to get their portfolio updates. Pretty good firmographic data on companies (# of employees, ann. revenue, website, c-suite members, etc.). We get all these great benefits for free!,Sometimes the email alerts, industry info, and other stuff Owler sends out is less relevant because it casts a wide net. You ensure you get just about everything this way, but it does mean more filtering/sifting on your part. Really not a big deal though. Like I said before, it does take some manual setup work, though it's not terribly difficult. It's simple to do, but having to update your preferences each time you want to follow another company can get tedious. I imagine that Salesforce integrations and paid versions solve this problem.,9,The alerts in my email inbox save a lot of time so I don't have to search the internet for the same information.,Crunchbase, LinkedIn Sales Navigator, D&B Direct and DiscoverOrg,I don't generate reports other than the email alerts a get.,LinkedIn Sales Navigator, CrunchbaseOwler - Crunchbase on steroids.Owler is used by my sales team in order to add a level of personalisation that would take much longer if done manually. My team has refined their own list of "best accounts" that they feel is a great fit for our company. They then simply add these companies to their Owler accounts and if something changes within the company, for example, a new project launched or new funding, the morning Owler email will alert them to this and allow them to personalise their outreach from there.,Streamlined - each SDR has around 25 companies that they want Owler to alert them about. The email each morning is short and to the point with nice abstracts of changes in the company making it quick and easy to find what you need. If something changes in the company, Owler finds it - we have yet to find a compelling event within the company that Owler missed. Doesn't spam - when they say one email a day they really mean it. No excess inbox messages.,The email they send out each day could be formatted a little nicer. The content is good, but it is "framed" in a box that doesn't nothing for the eyes! There are optional questions added to the email that don't always make sense. e.g. comparing two companies that are very different and asking which you prefer. I understand why they would want this in there, but it needs to be refined a bit more. More third party content would be good - quite often it is blog posts and changes on the companies careers page. This would be particularly useful for how people are perceiving a recent project launch.,9,The personalisation of emails has definitely helped us to earn a higher reply rate, with the knock-on that this will be helping with future deals. Keeps us very relevant in our conversations with contacts. They are often impressed by the research and knowledge we have on their company and how we have aligned ourselves to help. Again, small differences at the start of calls but this will be helping with the number of opportunities created. Reduces SDR prospecting time. Quick and easy to get updates allowing them to process a great number of accounts on a daily basis.,DiscoverOrg,We are not using Owler to generate reports very often. It is being used as a daily check in tool to ensure that our outreach is accurate and as up to date as possible. The only time we might use it's content to create reports is to examine what is going on inside a certain market.,Salesforce Lightning Platform (formerly Salesforce App Cloud), HubSpot Sales, HunterGreat sales account blueprinting toolOwler is used as a blueprinting tool in the sales department to gather information about a company before a meeting. It's really useful for things like following news about a company, seeing if there have been any leadership changes,and finding out about recent funding. Also great for info on a company's primary competitors, revenue, etc.,Info for blueprinting new sales accounts Helpful for tracking company news Great source for info on company demographics, size, location, revenue, etc,More companies in the SMB arena List of competitors could sometimes be stronger/ more relevant,8,As a sales rep, I am more prepared for sales calls I have better sales meetings due to understanding of competitive landscape More closed sales,ZoomInfo,Owler is not really a reporting tool, but it is a great resource I go to when completing the pre-sales call worksheets that I created for myself. It provides much of the information I look for when blueprinting a new company and helps me develop great discovery questions for my prospects.,Outreach, Highspot, MindTickle,company search competitor search,10Insights you needI use Owler to gain insights on competitors and leads. I receive regular updates with information on the companies I am following. It's been an extremely useful tool to stay one step ahead of my prospects and competitors. It takes the work out of researching companies that I need to follow regularly.,Alerts users of company changes. Sends daily snapshots to your email. Auto-syncs with CRM.,Lots of notifications.,9,Owler has provided me with leads when I have struggled to find them elsewhere. It saved me time researching companies and competition. Helps add value to my conversations with prospects.,LinkedIn Sales Navigator,I don't typically generate reports from Owler. I primarily use it any time I'm looking into a new company or competitor and need to gain insight on them. I have found that Owler provides robust information that allows users to drill down. I would say it's not 100% accurate all the time, but for the most part it is.Platform to know more about your marketOwler gives some valuable information about an industry, competitors, clients, partners, buyers etc. It also allows you to make a comparative analysis and track other companies you're interested in. The information is very useful for marketing and sales professionals, so Owler is mostly used by our marketing and sales departments.,Owler is very simple, user-friendly and offers many great features. It is completely free which is great. The platform gives me a lot of information about our industry trends; about our competitors and partners. It helps to stay updated and always to know the latest news. Customized notifications are great, it allows me to spend time reading what I actually need.,I do not like that Owler asks employees to compare their organization with competitors. I do not think that it gives an objective and accurate rating because if the employee is happy with the company, he/she will just give the highest mark without even paying attention to questions. And otherwise, if the employee is unhappy he/she will just give the lowest mark without paying attention to questions. As a result, the rating is not accurate. The customer support is very slow, you can wait forever for their replies. I do not like the fact that in order to register and track other companies you need to provide information about your company to allow other companies to track your company. It would be great to have an option to pay a little bit for not providing information about my company.,8,Owler is completely free, so we didn't invest any money in the platform Saves a lot of time on research as it gives you all news you need automatically every day,Insightly and DiscoverOrg,We generate reports on competitors mostly. The reports are ok, but the data is not very accurate sometimes and also it would be great to have more visuals, such as grafics in the reports.,Crazy Egg, Hootsuite Pro, MailChimp, SimilarWeb PRO, AsanaFree and insightful crowdsourcing platformWithin our organization, Owler is used by teams and individuals. Mostly by the marketing team, but also by individuals in different positions. Because Owler gives interesting and useful information about latest news in the industry, updates about competitors and their products and some other more specific information such as CEOs' ratings, the tool has something interesting to share with any person, no matter what position she or he holds.,I love that it is a crowdsourcing system and anyone can make a contribution I like that it is completely free for everybody whether you are SMB or a big company It is great to have the tool that gives you many insights about the industry in a very convenient way,More customizable notifications Better filtering when it comes to companies' search Do a better job when suggesting who your competitors are. Sometimes Owler suggests companies that had absolutely nothing in common with our organization,8,Owler is free and we haven't spent any money on it It gives news and updates about industry every day which helps us to know the latest news faster and react faster It gives our competitors information about us, which could be a negative ROI,Zoho Reports, Grow.com and Sisense,Mostly, we get competitive analysis reports and daily emails with reports about industry news and updates. I wish the reports and daily newsletters with reports were more insightful, detailed and accurate, but overall we are pretty satisfied with what we have for the money that we pay which is $0.,Trello, Slack, Google HangoutsOwler ReviewI work on the business development team, so finding context from Owler helps get in the door with companies by being able to relate.,Providing context Daily notifications,Exporting details Be more industry-specific,7,Great return. I've been able to get deals in enterprise size companies due to the information I received from owler.,,LinkedIn Sales NavigatorGreat for researching known competitors, not so much for competitor discovery.When looking for tools to help my company research competitors, we tried out Owler. If it was successful, my company was hoping to branch out and use Owler for client competitor research, as well.,Clear and concise data visualizations Well organized information about competitors Clean look and feel to the site overall Easy user experience,Better competitors for comparison. Often, the competitors were not relevant.,3,Increased understanding of known competitors Better insights into areas of improvement in comparison to known competitors,Google Analytics,Competitor research reports were generated from the information given in Owler. These reports varied depending on the department that we were researching (SEO, Marketing, Product, etc.). To a certain extent, the reports generated from Owler met our needs. However, at times, we questioned the relevancy of the recommended competitors. Again, if competitors are known, Owler is a great resource. If you are looking for a tool to help you identify competitors, Owler's recommendations weren't on the mark when it came to my own company.,Search functionalities are extremely easy to use and have multiple filters to help pinpoint your search.,10Free High Precision News Alerting and News/Social Media ViewerOwler provides daily email alerts of companies I track as part of my consulting business. The system also provides an easy way of tracking broader information around companies including blogs, video posts, press releases, and three sales trigger categories (fundings, exec changes, and M&A). In early 2015, they rolled out special alerts for Funding, Exec Changes, and M&A events. They also just launched a set of 12 competitive comparison reports that are sent on a staggered basis quarterly (they were just announced these reports so they are not part of this review).,High Precision News Alerts Social Media Viewing (Blogs & Video Uploads) and Filtering Funding Data Special Alerts for M&A, Executive Changes, and Funding Events,They should broaden the social media viewing to include Twitter and LinkedIn Only offer three event triggers Company profiles should be built out with more depth Lack of executive data Add alerting on a broader set of content categories particularly social media,8,Improved company tracking via alerts Quick review of company blogs, press releases, and video uploads Free service with a quick setup. Thus, the cost is simply your setup time and time spent reviewing alerts. As the alerts have high precision, there is an almost immediate return on investment.,,1,0,Company Tracking Company Research Looking up Funding History Quick Company Profile Lookup via Mobile Event Tracking (M&A, Exec Change, Funding),Quick way to lookup funding information Tracking blogs and video posts,Broader social media tracking once they include LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook Setting up shared alerts (e.g. competitor lists) for co-workers Current awareness from within SFDC Context based alerts based upon my calendar (SFDC and InsideView are working on such features),10,No,Price Product Features,This is a free service that complements full service sales intelligence services such as InsideView, Avention, and Hoover's. Users can register and setup a handful of companies for alerting in ten minutes. From that simple test, they can determine whether to add additional companies and install the iPhone app.,Implemented in-house,No,Change management was minimal,They do not display much company data in their pick lists when searching for companies. This can make it difficult to select the appropriate company when names are generic or there are multiple locations. The list grouping feature has an awkward design and is under featured (this functionality was just added prior to this review) Limited online help tools as they just exited beta,8,Self-taught,The product is straightforward to use so there is little need for training.Owler should add inline tips, a three minute setup demo, and a two minute features demo.,4,Setup the web version first for ten companies and let them run for a week. Avoid public companies with heavy news coverage unless you are a named account rep only serving a few firms. The brilliance of this service is it brings in blogs, press releases, and videos so alerting on companies with limited news coverage using Owler may be more important than being deluged with news on public companies which are available through many outlets.Once you have gotten a feel for the service, add additional companies, adjust your filters, and install the Owler App (which uses the companies selected from the web tool).,No - there is no facility to customize the interface,No - the product does not support adding custom code,9,Yes,I identified a technical issue with the display size of graphical elements and commented about it on social media. The head of their Product Management pinged me within a few hours and asked for screenshots, operating system, browser version, etc.. The problem was resolved within a day or two and has not recurred.,Viewing and Filtering Company News Setting up Alerts Discover Dashboard -- Recent M&A, Funding, and Exec Change Events,Manage Companies -- a feature for grouping companies into categories. Advanced Search -- List Building with few screening variables and no downloading,Yes,6,7,8,Salesforce.com,,1,9
Owler

Owler Reviews

Owler

Do you work for this company?

Filter 20 vetted Owler reviews and ratings

Parker O'Very profile photo
  • Great industry info.
  • Really good industry- or company-specific rss feed.
  • Love the funding/merger/acquisition alerts that we get on companies and portfolios that we follow. Often even more timely than Crunchbase since it's based on press releases rather than Crunchbase's data team reaching out to VCs to get their portfolio updates.
  • Pretty good firmographic data on companies (# of employees, ann. revenue, website, c-suite members, etc.).
  • We get all these great benefits for free!
Owler is great if you are wanting regular updates on specific companies or industries. You get funding/merger/acquisition updates, press release updates, competitor updates, and more. You can also use Owler to get company data for data enrichment. It is a fantastic tool to use to get a crash-course background on a company to arm you in your outreach and sales efforts. It also offers a fair amount of integrations.
Read Parker O'Very's full review
Fraser Murphy profile photo

• Streamlined - each SDR has around 25 companies that they want Owler to alert them about. The email each morning is short and to the point with nice abstracts of changes in the company making it quick and easy to find what you need.
  • If something changes in the company, Owler finds it - we have yet to find a compelling event within the company that Owler missed.
  • Doesn't spam - when they say one email a day they really mean it. No excess inbox messages.
Owler is fantastic for any sales person looking to personalise emails and outreach on a weekly basis.

Best suited for any company that regularly posts to social media, their blog, or that creates "noise" in other influential circles that Owler can pick up.

Where it falls short is when companies aren't making noise. Not really Owler's fault, but if you want to find content and changes to a company that doesn't really post to social media or a blog you want have much to work with.
Read Fraser Murphy's full review
  • Info for blueprinting new sales accounts
  • Helpful for tracking company news
  • Great source for info on company demographics, size, location, revenue, etc
It's a wonderful tool for gathering information before a meeting, tracking a company you follow, and being tipped off as to when might be a good time to reach out. For example, it's great to learn about recent funding events that might make a company a great sales opportunity like funding or opening a new location/ launching a new product.
May 23, 2019

Insights you need

• Alerts users of company changes.
  • Sends daily snapshots to your email.
  • Auto-syncs with CRM.
Owler is useful for anyone in a sales position. If you need to keep updated with your prospective clients, current clients, or competition, this is a great tool. Owler provides users with information that can help make a successful outreach or connection. It's also helpful if you use a CRM.
Helen Racutin profile photo

• Owler is very simple, user-friendly and offers many great features.
  • It is completely free which is great.
  • The platform gives me a lot of information about our industry trends; about our competitors and partners. It helps to stay updated and always to know the latest news.
  • Customized notifications are great, it allows me to spend time reading what I actually need.
Owler is great for those who need to know latest industry news and trends, who wants to learn more about the particular companies and/or track the updates on the companies. Owler is not well suited for companies that do not want other companies (including competitors) to track their updates and news.
Read Helen Racutin's full review
  • I love that it is a crowdsourcing system and anyone can make a contribution
  • I like that it is completely free for everybody whether you are SMB or a big company
  • It is great to have the tool that gives you many insights about the industry in a very convenient way
Owler is a great tool for anyone who wants to be updated about industry news and trends, follow competitors and just find out more information about specific companies and their leaders. And it does not matter if it is a small startup with 1-2 employees or a huge company with thousands of employees.
Davis Hepworth profile photo
February 28, 2018

Owler Review

• Providing context
  • Daily notifications
When I am trying to get in a whitespace account, I love to find context on a company's latest news, technologies and so on from owler. This helps me formulate solid emails, and have context for calls when getting in contact with decision makers within their company.
Read Davis Hepworth's full review
Meredith Walter profile photo
  • Clear and concise data visualizations
  • Well organized information about competitors
  • Clean look and feel to the site overall
  • Easy user experience
Owler would be great to check out a KNOWN competitor. However, when doing competitor research, I would be hesitant to trust the recommendations.
Read Meredith Walter's full review
Michael Levy profile photo
  • High Precision News Alerts
  • Social Media Viewing (Blogs & Video Uploads) and Filtering
  • Funding Data
  • Special Alerts for M&A, Executive Changes, and Funding Events

This is a free service, so it should be compared to free and low cost alerting (e.g. Google Alerts) and PE/VC funding profile (e.g. Crunchbase) services. Owler is well suited for competitive intelligence professionals, named account reps, and marketing professionals tracking company news (web mined company mentions and press releases) and social media (blogs, Video, YouTube). The alerts are high precision and tag for three key events (M&A, Funding, Exec Changes). It is the alerting and social media tools which are the key strength of the service.

The company claims two million profiles, but only has 60,000 with full address information. Content includes competitors, user polls, and funding / M&A data. Owler should be viewed as a free complement to other online company research tools, but it lacks the depth to replace subscription services. Missing content includes long business descriptions; financials and discrete sizing data; family tree linkage, and executive profiles (only the CEO is covered)

While they offer list building functionality, it is quite thin and non-downloadable. As such, I would not recommend Owler for sales and marketing prospecting at this point.

A unique feature is a set of company polls about the direction of the company and CEO performance. Unfortunately, the response rates are often too low to be statistically meaningful.

Read Michael Levy's full review

Advanced search (8)
Identification of new leads (7)
List quality (7)
List upload/download (6)
Ideal customer targeting (6)
Load time/data access (8)
Contact information (4)
Company information (8)
Industry information (8)
Lead qualification process (6)
Smart lists and recommendations (6)
Salesforce integration (4)
Company/business profiles (8)
Alerts and reminders (7)
Data hygiene (7)
Automatic data refresh (5)
Tags (5)
Filters and segmentation (7)
Sales email templates (4)
Append emails to records (4)

About Owler