- Owler is very simple, user-friendly and offers many great features.
- It is completely free which is great.
- The platform gives me a lot of information about our industry trends; about our competitors and partners. It helps to stay updated and always to know the latest news.
- Customized notifications are great, it allows me to spend time reading what I actually need.
- I do not like that Owler asks employees to compare their organization with competitors. I do not think that it gives an objective and accurate rating because if the employee is happy with the company, he/she will just give the highest mark without even paying attention to questions. And otherwise, if the employee is unhappy he/she will just give the lowest mark without paying attention to questions. As a result, the rating is not accurate.
- The customer support is very slow, you can wait forever for their replies.
- I do not like the fact that in order to register and track other companies you need to provide information about your company to allow other companies to track your company. It would be great to have an option to pay a little bit for not providing information about my company.
- I love that it is a crowdsourcing system and anyone can make a contribution
- I like that it is completely free for everybody whether you are SMB or a big company
- It is great to have the tool that gives you many insights about the industry in a very convenient way
- More customizable notifications
- Better filtering when it comes to companies' search
- Do a better job when suggesting who your competitors are. Sometimes Owler suggests companies that had absolutely nothing in common with our organization
- Clear and concise data visualizations
- Well organized information about competitors
- Clean look and feel to the site overall
- Easy user experience
- Better competitors for comparison. Often, the competitors were not relevant.
- High Precision News Alerts
- Social Media Viewing (Blogs & Video Uploads) and Filtering
- Funding Data
- Special Alerts for M&A, Executive Changes, and Funding Events
- They should broaden the social media viewing to include Twitter and LinkedIn
- Only offer three event triggers
- Company profiles should be built out with more depth
- Lack of executive data
- Add alerting on a broader set of content categories particularly social media
This is a free service, so it should be compared to free and low cost alerting (e.g. Google Alerts) and PE/VC funding profile (e.g. Crunchbase) services. Owler is well suited for competitive intelligence professionals, named account reps, and marketing professionals tracking company news (web mined company mentions and press releases) and social media (blogs, Video, YouTube). The alerts are high precision and tag for three key events (M&A, Funding, Exec Changes). It is the alerting and social media tools which are the key strength of the service.
The company claims two million profiles, but only has 60,000 with full address information. Content includes competitors, user polls, and funding / M&A data. Owler should be viewed as a free complement to other online company research tools, but it lacks the depth to replace subscription services. Missing content includes long business descriptions; financials and discrete sizing data; family tree linkage, and executive profiles (only the CEO is covered)
While they offer list building functionality, it is quite thin and non-downloadable. As such, I would not recommend Owler for sales and marketing prospecting at this point.
A unique feature is a set of company polls about the direction of the company and CEO performance. Unfortunately, the response rates are often too low to be statistically meaningful.