Reviews (1-2 of 2)
December 04, 2019
Score 9 out of 10
We currently utilize Palo Alto Networks URL Filtering PAN-DB for controlling access for users and user groups in Active Directory. For example, we have groups setup in Active Directory to allow access to say Dropbox. This AD group is then tied into a URL Filtering rule in the security policy to allow whatever application access you configure. This serves us in a few ways.
- We do not have to create a Firewall change request to add a user to a URL application such as dropbox, rather just add the username into the AD group.
- Much easier to maintain access for control and Audit purposes when adding or removing a user's permissions.
- Integrates with active directory groups.
- Provides granular control of URL's and specific application levels.
- Allowed quick monitoring by categories.
- The top down URL filtering match can sometimes be tricky as the user may match something higher in the list and not receive all the permissions you intended.
- The reporting feature for specific URL's could be more easily configured.
- There is an additional cost for the URL filtering license.
Overall website access control via the application or specific URL works well and is pretty easy to configure out of the box assuming you purchased the license. For organizations that have a wide variety of specific user needs for one-off websites, it works fantastic in conjunction with using an active directory group to manage this. Utilizing URL Categories is a very simple and easy way to provide a wider net when specific website control is not such a factor. If URL by category is not granular enough, you also have the option to utilize access permissions or restrictions based on external dynamic lists.
Read this authenticated review
Palo support is excellent, and I have never had to wait when contacting them for support. One of the best support teams in the business, in my opinion.
March 01, 2018
Score 8 out of 10
We utilize Palo Alto Networks URL Filtering as our main filtering solution for the agency. We utilize it to block malicious sites, VPNs, and other categories. The filtering offers many various categories that cover all of our needs. It is updated regularly and it provides excellent reporting.
- Granular filtering with specific categories
- Constantly updated
- Alerts you when new categories are added
- Does require some filtering knowledge to understand the structure
- Have to use PUTTY to check the category a website is
Read Kaitlyn Wright's full review
- Great for workplace filtering.
- Not school specific but can be used for that too.
Palo Alto Networks URL Filtering PAN-DB Scorecard Summary
What is Palo Alto Networks URL Filtering PAN-DB?
|The majority of attacks and exposure to malicious content occurs during the normal course of web browsing activities, which requires the ability to allow safe, secure web access for all users. URL Filtering with PAN-DB automatically prevents attacks that leverage the web as an attack vector, including phishing links in emails, phishing sites, HTTP-based command and control, malicious sites and pages that carry exploit kits.|
Categories: Intrusion Detection
Palo Alto Networks URL Filtering PAN-DB Video
Palo Alto Networks URL Filtering PAN-DB Technical Details